As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very stupid thread about beliefs

FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understandingGNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
ryuprecht wrote: »
Xaquin wrote: »
moniker wrote: »
So now that we're debating morality, the fact that I define a 6 week old fetus as a baby has to be accepted by whoever debates me.

Okay, sure. Mind explaining why that definition has to be forced on a pregnant woman, who is not you, by the full force of the government?

Simple. If you accept that I believe it to be a baby, how hard is it to understand that I feel the same even if it's not my baby that's aborted? I have a child, and I still feel sick when other people hurt theirs, even if I'm great to my son. That's why, because it's hard for me to accept someone killing a baby.

oh come on. If everyone accepted your beliefs then we wouldn't have this debate. If you're going to debate in an arguement, you really need to do more then just spout off beliefs. I can tell people that I don't believe humans need oxygen to live. Just because I believe something doesn't make me right or give me the authority to force everyone else to go along with me.

I didn't say you have to accept it as your belief, just that you have to accept that it's mine. By skipping past the entire foundation of my argument, there's no way a debate can occur. If you disagree that it's a baby, argue your side.

The difference between your oxygen example and this one is that it's a known fact we need oxygen. It's not a fact that it's not a baby until it's born, that's a belief. Of course, I get shit for my beliefs because they differ from a majority in this forum, but it doesn't change the fact that it's their belief that a fetus is not a person that drives their argument.
If the entire foundation of your argument is a belief, it is a bad argument.

Fencingsax on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I've tried making this argument. Several times. Doesn't even make a dent.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So now that we're debating morality, the fact that I define a 6 week old fetus as a baby has to be accepted by whoever debates me.

Okay, sure. Mind explaining why that definition has to be forced on a pregnant woman, who is not you, by the full force of the government?

Simple. If you accept that I believe it to be a baby, how hard is it to understand that I feel the same even if it's not my baby that's aborted? I have a child, and I still feel sick when other people hurt theirs, even if I'm great to my son. That's why, because it's hard for me to accept someone killing a baby.

oh come on. If everyone accepted your beliefs then we wouldn't have this debate. If you're going to debate in an arguement, you really need to do more then just spout off beliefs. I can tell people that I don't believe humans need oxygen to live. Just because I believe something doesn't make me right or give me the authority to force everyone else to go along with me.

I didn't say you have to accept it as your belief, just that you have to accept that it's mine. By skipping past the entire foundation of my argument, there's no way a debate can occur. If you disagree that it's a baby, argue your side.

The difference between your oxygen example and this one is that it's a known fact we need oxygen. It's not a fact that it's not a baby until it's born, that's a belief. Of course, I get shit for my beliefs because they differ from a majority in this forum, but it doesn't change the fact that it's their belief that a fetus is not a person that drives their argument.

thank you, thats what I was trying to get across.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't say you have to accept it as your belief, you just have to allow the government to willfully force my belief's conclusions on you.

Fix'd.

moniker on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

Wrong, dumbfuck. You get shit not for your belief, you get shit because you wish to enforce that belief through government intervention. That makes you authoritarian, and that's a fact.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I find this to be absurd.

You believe what you believe, and you also believe that those beliefs should be enforced by the government. Your beliefs are unsubstantiated, as you've freely admitted and therefore they are simply "preferences" in other words. You "prefer" to "err on the side of caution" and think of any fetus as an unborn baby and attach a life value to that.

Jack Thompson believes that violent video games are "murder simulators" and that they should be regulated by the federal government and/or banned entirely. Those are his beliefs and they're just as substantive as your own. How do you feel about him making those choices for you?

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I've tried making this argument. Several times. Doesn't even make a dent.

Here's what troubles me.

Anyone here who is pro - life, can you agree that America is a country in which civil liberties and freedom should be supported above any one specific morality?

And as an aside, enough of the goddamned "it's the same as murder!" argument. Objectively speaking, and regardless of any moral standpoint you happen to have on the topic of killing people, the act of murder has greater potential to unrest our ability to function as a society. Abortion simply does not. They aren't the same.

Until the bombs start going off anyway.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I see your point. Allow me to clarify then. #1, as just a fertilized egg, probably wouldn't if it failed to attach for natural reasons. That's the heart of the "when is it a baby" debate.

Nice to see that you're in full support of the so called 'morning after' pill.

moniker on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wrong, dumbfuck. You get shit not for your belief, you get shit because you wish to enforce that belief through government intervention. That makes you authoritarian, and that's a fact.

Everyone tries to enforce their beliefs through government intervention. If you've ever voted you've done so. That isn't authoritarian, that is being a normal person.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

Everyone tries to enforce their beliefs through government intervention. If you've ever voted you've done so. That isn't authoritarian, that is being a normal person.

Um, NO.

See, I might believe that someone should really give me a pony. But I don't think the government should enforce that belief. Now, I do believe torture is really, REALLY bad, and I have the facts to defend such a stance. In that case, I do believe that the government should not support torture - not because I believe torture to be bad, but because the facts show that torture is really bad.

Ryuprecht believes that a fetus is a baby. He has presented no fact to defend this belief. Yet he thinks that the government should enforce his belief. That is indeed authoritarian.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's a belief because it's something that cannot be proven. You cannot prove life begins at exactly the moment the baby is born. It is your belief that prior to that it's not life.

You cannot prove that the baby is less important than the mother. It is a belief.

You cannot prove that the baby would have a bad life if it were carried to term and then adopted. It is your belief that it's better to kill the baby.

This is all about belief. AngelHedgie, Wonder_Hippie, and everyone else can feel good about winning points by pretending to be factual, but you can't ignore that abortion, almost entirely alone of major topics, is a belief based argument at its core up to the point where there is incontrovertable proof of the point of life. When you can say "1 second before this happens, it's not a baby, but 1 second after, it is" and all reasonable people can agree, it will always be about belief.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's a belief because it's something that cannot be proven. You cannot prove life begins at exactly the moment the baby is born. It is your belief that prior to that it's not life.

You cannot prove that the baby is less important than the mother. It is a belief.

You cannot prove that the baby would have a bad life if it were carried to term and then adopted. It is your belief that it's better to kill the baby.

This is all about belief. AngelHedgie, Wonder_Hippie, and everyone else can feel good about winning points by pretending to be factual, but you can't ignore that abortion, almost entirely alone of major topics, is a belief based argument at its core up to the point where there is incontrovertable proof of the point of life. When you can say "1 second before this happens, it's not a baby, but 1 second after, it is" and all reasonable people can agree, it will always be about belief.
    Health and life and death aren't beliefs. But I knew you would go that way rather than actually improving your argument.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

And there's no room in the law for belief.

Get that through your thick skull.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

The flow of stupid just doesn't end from your ignorant ass.

Look, the way you're posing your beliefs, other people don't have the right to their own beliefs. The way it should be, in which abortion is a legal activity, you still get to hold your belief that it's not right.

To clarify, you want to remove other people's rights, regardless of what they believe. I want other people to have the right to choose. If you choose to be against, abortion, bully for you, but you don't get to choose for other people.

What the fuck is so hard about this?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    Yeah, but what can you expect when moral superiority enters a debate. People like Ryuprecht don't want to increase the maternal death rate, but that's going to happen if they have their way. Rather than basing anything on that, we get anthropomorphising tape worms and fetuses that are predestined to cure cancer at 12. Fun times.

This is at the crux of where I stand in the abortion debate. Ideally, we wouldn't need non-rape, non-mother's-life-threatened abortions at all because people would be responsible. However, people have proven time and time again we're lucky they manage to put on pants before going to work, let alone maintain control over their sexual activities sufficiently that unplanned pregnancy has a vanishingly small probability of happening. And if we don't have abortion as a crutch for the irresponsible, we'll have a lot of expectant mommies tossing themselves down stairs and the like. It's like Prohibition; even if you think booze is bad, Prohibition was a bad idea because it didn't take into account human nature.

Except of course, prohibition was about alcohol, not the life of an unborn child.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, but what can you expect when moral superiority enters a debate. People like Ryuprecht don't want to increase the maternal death rate, but that's going to happen if they have their way. Rather than basing anything on that, we get anthropomorphising tape worms and fetuses that are predestined to cure cancer at 12. Fun times.

This is at the crux of where I stand in the abortion debate. Ideally, we wouldn't need non-rape, non-mother's-life-threatened abortions at all because people would be responsible. However, people have proven time and time again we're lucky they manage to put on pants before going to work, let alone maintain control over their sexual activities sufficiently that unplanned pregnancy has a vanishingly small probability of happening. And if we don't have abortion as a crutch for the irresponsible, we'll have a lot of expectant mommies tossing themselves down stairs and the like. It's like Prohibition; even if you think booze is bad, Prohibition was a bad idea because it didn't take into account human nature.

Except of course, prohibition was about alcohol, not the life of an unborn child.

Why can't it be both?

You see, I believe that gin is a person.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    Why can't it be both?

Personally, I believe that vodka is a person.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why can't it be both?

You realize that now we must do battle.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Why can't it be both?

Boys, lets settle this in a civilized manner. Let me introduce my friend Vodka Martini.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Why can't it be both?

Well, I think we can find a happy middle ground:

Vodka and gin are persons.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Spyder3XSpyder3X Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Why can't it be both?

Well, I think we can find a happy middle ground:

Vodka and gin are persons.

and delicious

Spyder3X on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You're so fucking annoying I have to reply. I've gone through pages of your bullshit tripe without replying because you're useless when it comes to debate.

Law is all about beliefs. Let's start with the 1st Amendment. It's based on the belief that freedom of speech is important.

Let's talk about the 5th Amendment. It's based on the belief that you should not have to perjure yourself.

Now, scientifically prove to me that freedom of speech is important. Show your work.

Next, prove that you should not have to perjure yourself. Don't use a calculator.

Then, shut the fuck up and enjoy reasonable debate without being a dick.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You're so fucking annoying I have to reply. I've gone through pages of your bullshit tripe without replying because you're useless when it comes to debate.

Law is all about beliefs. Let's start with the 1st Amendment. It's based on the belief that freedom of speech is important.

Let's talk about the 5th Amendment. It's based on the belief that you should not have to perjure yourself.

Now, scientifically prove to me that freedom of speech is important. Show your work.

Next, prove that you should not have to perjure yourself. Don't use a calculator.

You know what the difference is? The examples you cite are about expanding personal liberties. Giving people choices. That's what this country is about, most of the time: giving people more freedom than we take away.

You want to take away freedom. You want to use beliefs as a stepping stone to reduce civil liberties. We reduce civil liberties only when they infringe upon the civil liberties of others, IE, murder, rape, and the like. Abortion does not infringe upon the liberties of anyone or anything which can without debate be called a living, breathing, intelligent person.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Actually, these fall not under the field of science, but rather logic, which consists mainly of two parts: observation, and extrapolation.

For example, we can observe that, historically speaking, the lack of freedom of speech, et all, has a strong tendency to lead to authoritative, tyrannical governments. It has also been observed that governments with freedom of speech, et all, have a far lesser tendency to lead to authoritative, tyrannical governments. From these observations, we can extrapolate that having freedom of speech, et all, is in the best interests of a nation that does not wish to become authoritative or tyrannical.

Please explain your logic for your belief that a baby is more important than the mother, and that the majority of babies left for adoption tend to have good, healthy lives. Show your work.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You're an arrogant prick.

Why is the freedom of speech enshrined in the First Amendment? Open a fucking history book. The story of civilization is filled of examples of how the control of speech is used to further the gains of despots. Why do we have a law saying that you have the right to not incriminate yourself? Because when the justice system is allowed to force a confession from you, innocent people get railroaded. Freedom of speech and the right not to incriminate oneself are not in the law because we believe them to be good things, but because there is empirical evidence throughout history that you sort of NEED them to have a fair, just, and open society. They didn't become law because people believed them to be right - they became law because they're key to maintaining the sort of societal structure in the US.

When you can provide evidence to support your belief, then we'll take you seriously. Until then, you seek to make your whims law - you seek to be a tyrant.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Somebody help me, I want to keep going. Jesus Christ fucking hates you.

No, you hate me. And to be honest, I'm ok with that.

I may even like it.

Respond to the substance you piece of shit. Do it, I fucking dare you, everybody else has pointed out exactly why you're a moron, so fucking respond.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Why is the freedom of speech enshrined in the First Amendment? Open a fucking history book. The story of civilization is filled of examples of how the control of speech is used to further the gains of despots. Why do we have a law saying that you have the right to not incriminate yourself? Because when the justice system is allowed to force a confession from you, innocent people get railroaded. Freedom of speech and the right not to incriminate oneself are not in the law because we believe them to be good things, but because there is empirical evidence throughout history that you sort of NEED them to have a fair, just, and open society. They didn't become law because people believed them to be right - they became law because they're key to maintaining the sort of societal structure in the US.

When you can provide evidence to support your belief, then we'll take you seriously. Until then, you seek to make your whims law - you seek to be a tyrant.

These choices were made because people believedthem to be a necessary part of establishing the society they wished, which they believed to be superior to all other forms of governance.

Were there examples of how this was true? Yes. Just as there are examples that a 10 week old fetus is alive and worth saving. But you see, you need a little bit of belief to make that next logical jump in both cases, because there are examples of free nations without freedom of speech, which means belief most certainly can have a place in law. Laws are made by societies, and societies are filled with beliefs. Don't like that? Go back to Vulcan and live where only logic and science rule.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    Vlad McRadVlad McRad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But see the part where their beliefs were substantiated?

yeah you're missing that part

but I guess I mean they're beliefs so who cares m i rite?

Vlad McRad on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

These choices were made because people believedthem to be a necessary part of establishing the society they wished, which they believed to be superior to all other forms of governance.

Were there examples of how this was true? Yes. Just as there are examples that a 10 week old fetus is alive and worth saving. But you see, you need a little bit of belief to make that next logical jump in both cases, because there are examples of free nations without freedom of speech, which means belief most certainly can have a place in law. Laws are made by societies, and societies are filled with beliefs. Don't like that? Go back to Vulcan and live where only logic and science rule.

Those beliefs are based on history.

Your beliefs are based on fantasy.

There's a big difference there.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Where are these free nations without freedom of speech?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    I mean, I could shout that "I BELIEVE THAT DOGS HAVE EIGHT LEGS AND ARE INSECTS AND MAKE HONKING NOISES WHEN THEY WALK"

But that's not the domain of "belief." THat's the domain of "Facts." Calling your ass a rose doesn't make it smell any better; it's still an ass at the end of the day.
    Dog:
    1388.gif

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've gone through pages of your bullshit tripe without replying because you're useless when it comes to debate.

What? How can he be useless at debate if you don't respond?

He may be useless at getting you to debate, but that's a whole different matter.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gorak wrote: »
    I've gone through pages of your bullshit tripe without replying because you're useless when it comes to debate.

What? How can he useless at debate if you don't respond?

He may be useless at getting you to debate, but that's a whole different matter.

He says that because I a) fight back, and b) call it as I see it.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gorak wrote: »

What? How can he useless at debate if you don't respond?

He says that because I a) fight back, and b) call it as I see it.

I see. So you failed to a) change your mind, and b) call it as he sees it.

Clearly you owe him an apology. :D

Gorak on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Well ryu, in our tradition we generally eschew relentless uncompromising struggles for control between two factions and simply limit the power of the government.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    The next person in this goddamned thread to say anything that isn't civil is going to get a temp-ban shoved so far up his ass that I will have to use the Jaws of Life to extract it. Fucking Christ, people.

Ryu, it is possible - some might even say prudent - to craft a free society based not on morality, but on utilitarianism. We ban murder not because it's wrong, but because a society in which murder is allowed cannot function. We ban theft not because it's wrong, but because a society in which property rights don't exist cannot function. Where issues of fundamental rights are concerned, we err on the side of live-and-let-live, up to the point where society begins to break down.

Whatever your position on abortion, it's pretty clear that legalizing it has not resulted in the collapse of society. I feel safe in saying this, because I'm currently sitting in the comfort of my house yammering on an internet forum instead of, say, driving around a nightmarish futurescape fighting off post-apocalyptic mutants in my relentless hunt for gasoline.

If we base our society on the notion that people should be free to do what they please to the extent that civilization doesn't asplode, then legalizing abortion is the sensical position to take. Pro-lifers may, in this situation, work to minimize abortion by attacking the root causes that lead to abortion, such as poverty, lack of education, ignorance about birth control, and so on. People who hate guns can work towards minimizing crime and preventing criminals from obtaining weapons. People who don't like hate speech can go around giving everyone big hugs. And so on.

Also, this thread is walking a very thin line, and if it becomes Abortion Thread v2.0, I will shove a syphon into its metaphorical skull, suck out the stupid, and then chuck into the Trashcan.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jeffe is the best mod ever ever.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

Because I know I need some sense smacked into me.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    1-Faint.jpg

"Oh Jeff, you virile man."

Snicker.

Shinto on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    People who don't like hate speech can go around giving everyone big hugs.

*hugs*

You made my day!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
This discussion has been closed.