As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Transformers Movie Thread

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Ilove when people do this
    Before I get written off as a cranky film snob, let me say this: I love great action films from all eras and styles
    Like it makes them actually not be what they claim they aren't.

God, that's in the same vein as "I'm not racist but..." or "you're a gigantic filthy shit eating bastard, no offence." Very professional on his part...

Oh shit guys some guy from a newspaper in West Virgina thinks Transformers sucks. Guess we can kiss the sequels good bye now. :P

I laugh at this guy for pretending like he matters.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, it was even more enjoyable the second time around, and I'm almost positive now that
    Starscream is indeed among the F22s bombarding Megatron with missles at the end

Vincent Grayson on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, it was even more enjoyable the second time around, and I'm almost positive now that

Would suit him.

As for me, I just saw the movie and I loved it. It honestly made me feel a bit like a kid again to hear THE Optimus Prime saying those lines in a live action movie.

Way too much teen drama stuff, but I can forgive that. It's so clear to me how much this was a movie for the fans, all the little references, the transformation sound, the original VA for Prime, "One shall stand, one shall fall." It was awesome. They really went to town on the action and transformation sequences. I'm glad all those fanboys who said "OLOL, there'll be liek 5 seconds of transformations and action" were wrong.

I'm going to HAVE to get this on DVD when it comes out. I may skip some of then more lame bits with "Section 7 Guy" and some of the teen melodrama, but all in all, I'm happy with what they did with it. Being a fan since I was a kid, it was awesome to see the big screen treatment this got.

So, since I've been avoiding this thread like a particularly nasty and virulent flesh eating plague, is there any word on a sequel? I've heard one or two rumours elsewhere, what's the take here?

subedii on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I never noticed that, if true, that is awesome

Al_wat on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favourite part of that review is when the guy makes the jump from 'bad movie' to 'not a movie'. It's cute when people think they can dismiss something's identity as art just because they don't like it.
    Like when you're listening to metal or psychedelic rock or something and someone goes 'that isn't music'.

Yes, yes it is. You're just an idiot.

Snork on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

It's not a 100% affirmative, but it is very likely.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    So, since I've been avoiding this thread like a particularly nasty and virulent flesh eating plague, is there any word on a sequel? I've heard one or two rumours elsewhere, what's the take here?

Shia, Megan and Peter Cullen are all signed on for three movies. Tom DeSanto is pushing for Grimlock and a gestalt.

I just saw it this Friday, and whee dawgie it's a great movie. I think I might end up making multiple theatre visits, which is a first for me. Transformations were excellent, it was a visual feast and the sound was incredible. The characterization was great and very close to many of the G1 personalities, Optimus was awesome.

I didn't mind the teen drama stuff too much - mainly because Shia LaBouef. The occasional plot holes were a bit iffy (mainly Barricade and Starscream at the end - I know we're coming up with satisfying explanations, but we really shouldn't have to. Hopefully they'll hook into that stuff in the next movie).

DarkHawke on
    edited July 2007

I had to supress a little grin when I heard the first thing Megatron said to Starscream. It wasn't as obvious to me as it was then that they were trying to keep true to the characters as much as possible.

subedii on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    My favourite part of that review is when the guy makes the jump from 'bad movie' to 'not a movie'. It's cute when people think they can dismiss something's identity as art just because they don't like it.
    Like when you're listening to metal or psychedelic rock or something and someone goes 'that isn't music'.

Yes, yes it is. I'll just punch you in the face.

:P

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

He was?!? Im so gonna see it again!!!

brandotheninjamaster on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's fucking Starscream. The same fucking Starscream that kicked Megatron while he was down and chucked him out of Astrotrain in TF: The Movie.
    Well, almost the same. If you get my drift.

(Thanks FCD)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

It's fucking Starscream. The same fucking Starscream that kicked Megatron while he was down and chucked him out of Astrotrain in TF: The Movie.
    Well, almost the same. If you get my drift.

[/pedantry]

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    VG Cats sums up my views on this PoS rather nicely, although he doesn't mention the absolutely horrid "avoid the parents!" and "pee on John Tuturro!" nonsense:

070723.jpg

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My only real complaint was that I wanted the camera to stay steady during the action. That was the only thing that drove me crazy.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Qonas wrote: »
    VG Cats sums up my views ... rather nicely

Every time I hear these words in succession I shed a single tear

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited August 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    My only real complaint was that I wanted the camera to stay steady during the action. That was the only thing that drove me crazy.

Yeah, that stuff can you give you a headache after a while.

subedii on
  • RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yep, thank you VG Cats. That's pretty much on par with my thoughts.

Rohaq on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »

And given the general perception of VG Cats.....it also means that those of us who enjoyed the movie were just proven right.

Jragghen on
    edited August 2007
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »

And given the general perception of VG Cats.....it also means that those of us who enjoyed the movie were just proven right.

How do you mean? I generally like VG cats as a comic, but I don't agree that the movie was crap (Incidentally, might want to put that comic in a spoiler tag).

I can understand the sentiments expressed about there being too much teen drama (because frankly, I felt the same), but I can also understand why we didn't see as much of the transformers as there could have been. I wouldn't say it was lacking in that department, the end end 1/3rd of the film is pretty much Transformers at war. Any more footage of them would have been awesome too, but the problem is that footage is ridiculously time consuming and expensive, and I doubt the film would have made it to release if they had concentrated on showing the Transformers more.

That having been said:
    I still wish they hadn't killed off Jazz. I would have liked more of him. :(

subedii on
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, Michael Bay made the movie the same way I would have made the movie, for the most part, so I was very satisfied. Then again, to me Transformers is just a cool line of toys, because I never watched the cartoon.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I just saw the movie.
    generally, the action was awesome. I got annoyed at the acting/banter etc - ten reminded myself that its a kids movie.

I just thought it was a shame that the transformers weren't the main characters.
    Oh, and for the love of god, how many times did the camera look into the sun?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Prediction for 2009 - Transformers 2 will focus far more heavily on the robots themselves (since there is no longer the need for the whole introductions thing) and will suffer greatly for it.

Soon as you go down that route there are so many new pitfalls to avoid, and chances are you're just going to make a live action version of the original series, which lets face it - was good for 20 minutes when you were 8. More focus on the transformers is all well and good, but a movie where its more or less just them is going to require an incredable amount of skill to pull off.

Tastyfish on
    edited August 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Prediction for 2009 - Transformers 2 will focus far more heavily on the robots themselves (since there is no longer the need for the whole introductions thing) and will suffer greatly for it.

Soon as you go down that route there are so many new pitfalls to avoid, and chances are you're just going to make a live action version of the original series, which lets face it - was good for 20 minutes when you were 8. More focus on the transformers is all well and good, but a movie where its more or less just them is going to require an incredable amount of skill to pull off.

I dont know - maybe the Transformers could actually be "characters".

I chuckle when people in this thread say "it would be like Starscream to have betrayed megatron" - We never saw a single bit of character development from the Decepticons. For all we know, the movie Starscream might be as loyal as a puppy.

The movie I just saw expected me to invest in the Human characters. I use "characters" in the loosest possible sense.

Bring back the movies about Transformers - oh and there was a human character in there somewhere too.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Saw it yesterday and loved it ... The camera was a tad whacky in the action scenes but otherwise great movie.

And seeing the possibilities of giant walking robots in movies ... I think now the time is right for a Battletech/Mechwarrior live action movie ...

But back to Transformers ... I haven't seen any of the cartoon shows (I guess) and I have never owned the toys, so I was pretty unbiased and thus able to enjoy the movie for what it was. 2.5 hours of popcorn movie and blowing things up spectacularly. If Michael Bay is good at one thing, its blowing up things :D.

TheBigEasy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    VGCats is totally wrong about Bumblebee's reaction to the end of the film, though.

Teletraan-1, the TF Wiki, is correct.
    After the destruction of Megatron and the All Spark, Bumblebee (who had regained his voice, after being repaired with Ratchet's regenerative plasma laser [1]) requested permission to remain with Sam, to which the young man agreed. After his legs were repaired, he allowed Sam and Mikaela to make out on top of him, as the other Autobots watched.

It was the best day ever.

DarkPrimus on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    Well, Michael Bay made the movie the same way I would have made the movie, for the most part, so I was very satisfied. Then again, to me Transformers is just a cool line of toys, because I never watched the cartoon.

Good thing, because the cartoon was a shitpile half-hour commercial for the toys that people have somehow twisted through their sense of nostalgia into some Emmy award-winning masterpiece. I know multiple people who bought the animated series on DVD and immediately said, "I used to think this was good??" The animated movie from '86 was good, but the series? Pile of shit.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I still say that when Sam was agonizing over his inability to save everyone, Optimus should have said something like "You can do it Sam, you have to!" and then Bumblebee plays "YOU GOT THE TOUCH! YOU GOT THE POWEEEEEEEEER!" on his radio.

But, oh well, it was great without that.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I agree, "You got the touch" playing somewhere is the main thing I found missing from the movie.

It could have been just in the background. Like when the AllSpark started shooting rays and created a living vending machine and x-box, it could also have hit a radio that would have been playing that song while it transformed.

EDIT: Also, Transformers > VG Cats

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    I agree, "You got the touch" playing somewhere is the main thing I found missing from the movie.

It could have been just in the background. Like when the AllSpark started shooting rays and created a living vending machine and x-box, it could also have hit a radio that would have been playing that song while it transformed.

EDIT: Also, Transformers > VG Cats

Fuck that. Have it BLARING while Optimus and Megatron fight.

yalborap on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It wasn't really a fight though. It was Megatron kicking the SHIT out of Optimus.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So, after watching Disturbia, apparently LaBouf just enjoys ending his movies making out while a friend watches him.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, after watching Disturbia, apparently LaBouf just enjoys ending his movies making out while a friend watches him.

Both of them were produced by Spielburg, so perhaps he is the one who enjoys watching Shia make out.

DarkPrimus on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    optimus-tee.png

I wish I could convert photoshopped images into reality. I'd wear this shirt.

It's like an 8-year-old made a t-shirt.

A talented 8-year-old, but an 8-year-old nonetheless.

OR you could just buy this one

http://www.80stees.com/products/Optimus-Prime-Costume-Transformers-T-shirt.asp

Now, btt :
    You would have to know that I live in Germany, and as most of my friends don't actually like watching the OV, I had to watch the german dubbed version - which is sort of painful, when you know, that Cullen returned, and Megatron was voiced by Hugo Weaving.

That aside, I love that movie, ist just blew me away - I went with lowered expectations (umm...Michael Bay?Hello?), but the typical 'yay-army-yay-america-honour-and-pride-thing' left a satirical impression on me, so I really enjoyed it this time (geez, anyone remember Armageddon & Pearl Harbour ? :\ )
    The action sequences were just amazing and kept me on the edge of my seat, during some of the fights at the end, me and a friend were sitting there like 'no way, man !', my jaw dropped to the floor a couple of times.
    I was also worried about that whole human plot, that it would be forced into the story and would mess the whole thing up - but, labeouf carried the movie all the way, he is one of the few young talents these days and really brought some character to the movie, he and the other meatbags provided for some comical scenes, the oh-so-predictable plot around him didn't even bother me, he was that good.

And I fucking love(d) John Turturro.

Once again, I guess the original dub would furhter up the ante.

Now, for criticism :
    Where was Soundwave ? :(
    I mean, ok, Frenzy is sort of a part of Soundwave, and he's kinda confirmed for the sequel, but I missed him nonetheless.
    And Frenzy sounded and acted like a frickin' gremlin.

Jazz - Jazz...man...A thing I don't get : There's SUCH a fuzz about Bumblebee losing his legs (NOT dying), but when they discovered Jazz' corpse, they just dismissed it (the vgcats comic illustrates that nicely, olthough the rest of their criticism is a bit over the top imo)...
    And what about the Bumblebee-pissing-scene ?
    Meh.
    Finally, the motorcycle-sliding-grenadelauncher-action at the end was unnecessary (hello, F-22s go all out, yet Mr Ubersoldat has to pull that stunt ?BS.

And at the end, where there's this sort of threesome including Bumblebee with the rest of the Autbots watching....that is....creeping me out, man, seriously.

These minor points aside, I can't wait for the sequel, and this movie is one of the best action movies I've seen.period.

BTW Hi again folks, my acc was deleted :\

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited August 2007
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Now, for criticism :
    Where was Soundwave ? :(
    I mean, ok, Frenzy is sort of a part of Soundwave, and he's kinda confirmed for the sequel, but I missed him nonetheless.
    And Frenzy sounded and acted like a frickin' gremlin.

Jazz - Jazz...man...A thing I don't get : There's SUCH a fuzz about Bumblebee losing his legs (NOT dying), but when they discovered Jazz' corpse, they just dismissed it (the vgcats comic illustrates that nicely, olthough the rest of their criticism is a bit over the top imo)...
    And what about the Bumblebee-pissing-scene ?
    Meh.
    Finally, the motorcycle-sliding-grenadelauncher-action at the end was unnecessary (hello, F-22s go all out, yet Mr Ubersoldat has to pull that stunt ?BS.

And at the end, where there's this sort of threesome including Bumblebee with the rest of the Autbots watching....that is....creeping me out, man, seriously.

These minor points aside, I can't wait for the sequel, and this movie is one of the best action movies I've seen.period.

BTW Hi again folks, my acc was deleted :\
    I think they are gonna save soundwave for the sequel as well. I was missing him in this movie. He was my favorite decepticon. Also I was pissed about jazz dying him and Prowl were my favorite autobots growing up. Now ones dead, that sucks...one last thing that annoyed me was when megatron and optimus were fighting. Optimus imo got his ass handed to him. And it took a human to beat him. One last question; How come when they were making robots with the cube (I can't remember the name) it only made decepticons? Yet the autobots were gonna use it to remake their race.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One last question; How come when they were making robots with the cube (I can't remember the name) it only made decepticons? Yet the autobots were gonna use it to remake their race.
    We can`t tell for sure, but it seemed to me that they were more like indiscriminately attacking killing machines. Maybe because the cube wasn`t handled properly. Or maybe that`s what the cube is supposed to do and all cybertronian "babies" are like that.

I guess they could`ve explained a it better if they weren`t busy filling the film with vapid side plots that go nowhere.

Needle on
    edited August 2007
    I liked how when the humans realised the decepticons were coming after them, they ran to the most populated area they could think of.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That way they could smash more shit. If you dont approve of that logic transformers is not for you.

Prohass on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I liked how when the humans realised the decepticons were coming after them, they ran to the most populated area they could think of.

That is how diguises work though, they were outnumbered and outgunned out in the open desert so whilst there would have been fewer human casulties in the short term - Megatron would have got the cube.

Tastyfish on
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Needle wrote: »
    One last question; How come when they were making robots with the cube (I can't remember the name) it only made decepticons? Yet the autobots were gonna use it to remake their race.
    We can`t tell for sure, but it seemed to me that they were more like indiscriminately attacking killing machines. Maybe because the cube wasn`t handled properly. Or maybe that`s what the cube is supposed to do and all cybertronian "babies" are like that.

I guess they could`ve explained a it better if they weren`t busy filling the film with vapid side plots that go nowhere.
    Mmmm....my guess is, it is similiar to the Matrix in the animated Transformers Movie - you gotta know how to handle that shit ;)

I guess Prime and other sophisticated Autobots would have known how to use it properly - it's always easier to destroy than to create.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited August 2007
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Needle wrote: »

Mmmm....my guess is, it is similiar to the Matrix in the animated Transformers Movie - you gotta know how to handle that shit ;)

I guess Prime and other sophisticated Autobots would have known how to use it properly - it's always easier to destroy than to create.
    I also wonder why they blew up cybertron. I WTF? So now any Transformers that come in future sequels have just floating in space??? I mean c'mon WTF?

brandotheninjamaster on