As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the Quest for Glory creators - now or never

oasis789oasis789 USARegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
Hero-U-Autumn-Video-Splash.jpg

Like RPGs but bored of monster slaying and fetch quests? Wish games had more meaningful plots and memorable characters? Join novice thief Shawn O'Conner as he attends the hallowed halls of Hero University (think Hogwarts meets D&D) and navigates the trials of college life. Your choices determine whether he becomes a noble hero, a ruthless villain, or some mix in between. You decide if he will use force or finesse, persuasion or cunning to overcome obstacles and accomplish goals. But remember, all choices inevitably have consequences. And that's just the freshman semester of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

What is Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption?

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is an upcoming fantasy RPG set in a university for adventurers, where you play a thief who was caught and has been sentenced to reform school. If the bullies don't get you, the midterms will, or the extracurriculars in the catacombs below.
  • Turn-based tactical combat with emphasis on stealth, deception, and traps, oh my
  • Adventure game style puzzles with multiple solutions
  • Tough decisions that affect branching storyline
  • Deep interaction and relationships with NPCs and their hidden agendas

The game designers have very strong views on adventure game and RPG genre conventions and this game is supposed to tip all these sacred cows over.

487bbf62a65e0242d9c29f2258918dba_large.jpg

Who's making it?

Designers: Lori and Corey Cole, the creators of the classic Sierra Quest for Glory series, adventure/RPG hybrid Shannara, and puzzle game Castle of Dr. Brain. Basically, they made the games of my childhood.

Developers: Andrew Goulding, founder of Brawsome, developer of the Jolly Rover and MacGuffin's Curse adventure games. Haven't played those games yet myself, but they seem fun from the LP videos.

Art: Among others, Eriq Chang and John Paul Selwood, who did the artwork in the Quest for Glory II remake, which was done pretty.

original.jpg

What is Quest for Glory?

Quest for Glory was a series of adventure-RPG hybrids in the Sierra line (King's Quest, Space Quest, Gabriel Knight etc) that combined RPG elements into the traditional point-and-click adventure genre, with storylines that borrow heavily from folklore and mythology, and a brand of humor that emphasized puns and wordplay.

The games were a lot of fun because they had puzzles with multiple solutions depending on your character class, descriptions and dialogue genuinely worth reading and laughing at, and character import - characters from the 1st game could bring their stats and skills all the way to the 5th game. They even had a secret class (Paladin) that was only available through import if you had played a certain way in the previous games. There were many, many ways to die in the games, and all of them were fun enough to try once before reloading. Here's one of them from QFG4. Some fans loved the series so much, they remade one of the games (and a bunch of other Sierra games).

Hero-U is being planned as a similar five-part series, with each game focusing on a different class character.

1112_Hero-U_KickstarterPromoStudioShot2.jpg

Tell me more!

I can't do better than to point you to their site and some of the more informative articles about it:

If you have questions ask away and I'll try my best to point you at the game designers' answers.

full_underground.png

oasis789 on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    You should probably kill that last screenshot, it's not really work safe

• oasis789oasis789 USARegistered User regular
    Aww... but done.

Updated with pitch video! Couldn't embed it into the post, though, so its just a link at the end.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I know someone had some website that estimated the final funding of a kickstarter in the project eternity thread, anyone know how to get to that? It doesn't really look like it's getting the momentum to hit the 400k they want at this rate.

I still haven't made the jump because while I <3 QfG, the games made by the programmer were rather forgettable

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    I know someone had some website that estimated the final funding of a kickstarter in the project eternity thread, anyone know how to get to that? It doesn't really look like it's getting the momentum to hit the 400k they want at this rate.

I still haven't made the jump because while I <3 QfG, the games made by the programmer were rather forgettable

From what I can tell, kicktraq projections are just a linear trend using the previous days up to that point, it's not using prior kickstarter data or update frequency or comments or page views or anything like that, so it's not very useful unless you believe pledges are approximately distributed uniformly over the days of a campaign. The most relevant comparison are the previous ex-Sierra campaigns like Larry, Pinkerton, Spaceventure which have similar targets and audiences, and all the action there was at the end... I'd say it's far too early to call this one way or the other.

I haven't played the Brawsome games myself, can't tell if they're forgettable or not, but I don't think Hero-U will be. You can tell from the interviews, updates etc that the Coles really believe in this game, they've been thinking about it for a long time, and they're putting their names on the line to make sure it's worthy of the fans trust. The thing that's most important to me is that this project is really what Kickstarter was originally about: funding something that is promising, that wouldn't otherwise be made, and that is self-sustaining - the Coles can go on from this success to make the next in the series, as they've been planning.

• JarikithJarikith Registered User regular
    Yes Kicktraq does show it currently falling short however it does just use prior days' data for it's guessing, which can never fully account for the final press where you get people who just hit the reminder start coming in once they get their emails or people who've already pledged upping for various reasons including that they really really want the game made.

I'm looking forward to Hero-U, to what the Coles are going to bring us. It may not be a traditional Adventure Game, but neither were the original Quest for Glory games. Some people are turned off by the top down tiled approach, but I have fond memories of those types of games including the Ultima series of RPGs which were exactly that, top down view, tile based world, until EA created VIII and IX. I trust the Coles from their prior games, I trust that the puzzles will be narrative and character driven not an obstacle course of trying to figure out what the designer intended you to do with a paper clip, a wad of gum, an old tin can, and two left shoes. I trust the the world and characters will be rich, deep, and engaging, with the right blend of humor and seriousness as in their previous offerings.

I also think it's great that Corey Cole has committed to personally porting the game to Linux after it's complete. He'll being doing it on his own time, without taking any of the funding away from making the game as great as it can be initially for PC/Mac, simply because he knows there are fans out there who are clamoring for it to be on their preferred platform. So he's going to do it himself! That's dedication to your fans right there.

Updated the original post with new concept art for the game interface!

• RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    What makes me a little sad is that if the kickstarter was for a new Quest for Glory game (which they can't do because Activision would sue them) I think they would easily reach their goal. Meanwhile, they're choosing to try and do something different and innovative (which people say they want to see in the industry), but it's going to be tight when it comes to getting funded.

Sure Kicktraqs projects it just falling short, but I think as long as it gets close, the backers will make sure it reaches the goal. The kicktraqs projection to no reason not to back. If the project doesn't get funded, you don't get charged, so it costs you nothing. If it does get funded, then you get a new game for $20. I don't think that's a lot to ask. I'm sure the game will be entertaining, certainly worth the price of a couple movie tickets. I've spend $20 on worse things.

Don't let ambivalence toward the programmer deter you. He might have created his own games, but he's not creating this one, the Coles are. So if you love QFG, give them a chance. Think of it like Precipice Episode 3. Maybe some people didn't love Zeboyd, or thought Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World were forgettable, and they're the team behind Precipice, but they gave Episode 3 a chance because it was Jerry's game, not theirs. I think Episode 3 turned out great. I also think giving the Coles a chance is worth it. They won't disappoint, just like Jerry didn't.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It makes me sad that this might not get funded. Hero's Quest (yes, I'm that old) and the rest of the QfG series are some of my most fond gaming memories. I still have my old floppies and hint book - the one with the marker that exposed puzzle solutions - lying around. I bought the collection the first day it was available on GoG and I still play through at least once a year.

I hope the Coles don't give up.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    It makes me sad that this might not get funded. Hero's Quest (yes, I'm that old) and the rest of the QfG series are some of my most fond gaming memories. I still have my old floppies and hint book - the one with the marker that exposed puzzle solutions - lying around. I bought the collection the first day it was available on GoG and I still play through at least once a year.

I hope the Coles don't give up.

I believe this project will succeed, because I'm doing my part to make it happen. I think it's worth my time and effort to bring back something that I believe in.

The Coles won't give up, and I won't give up.

There's such a thing as a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more people believe in something, the more people want to be a part of it.

And the funny thing is, belief costs little. Kickstarter doesn't charge your card unless the campaign reaches its funding target. It even sends you reminder emails before the campaign ends.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Quest for Glory (The VGA remake) is one of my favourite games of all time. I'm very excited for this.

steam_sig.png
    Updated with Adventure Gamers interview, it's a good one with lots of juicy details

Welp... I suppose I have to pull up my pants and support a Kickstarter for the first time.

QFG was THE game that got me into PC games. I owe the Coles at least for that. Also, their particular brand of humour deserves recognition. Their games were making me laugh back in a time when humour in games was a rare thing.

steam_sig.png
  • RogjahRogjah Registered User regular
    Welp... I suppose I have to pull up my pants and support a Kickstarter for the first time.

QFG was THE game that got me into PC games. I owe the Coles at least for that. Also, their particular brand of humour deserves recognition. Their games were making me laugh back in a time when humour in games was a rare thing.

That's exactly how I feel about it. It's also what got me into PC gaming, and is the first Kickstarter project I've backed.

Who can forget hilarious characters like Erasmus and Fenrus, Keapon laffin, Ali Chica, the Saurus salesman, or Dr Cranium?

• ClassicGamer81ClassicGamer81 Registered User new member
    A lot of things really have me excited about this project. While I understand a lot of people are put off by the fact that Hero-U isn't "Quest for Glory 6" in name, it takes place in the same universe and the Coles have said that characters and events from the QFG series will be alluded to in Hero-U.

Let's not forget the University is located in Silmaria, and the Famous Adventurer may or may not make an appearance, and most importantly, THERE"S MEEPS! :D

We also need to remember, that even if a TRUE QFG6 were to come to fruition, after Dragon Fire "The Hero's" story was concluded so he wouldn't be the protagonist anyway, and I couldn't imagine "QFG6" being much different from what we're getting for Hero-U

• torchinomotorinotorchinomotorino Registered User new member
    Although Space Quest 3 was my first adventure game, I picked up a copy of Hero’s Quest later that year. Hero’s Quest was my first experience in RPGs and my definitive experience in fantasy. I’ll never forget the cover to that game.
    I played the Quest for Glory games for several years and it was always my secret indulgence. I had some friends who played D&D, but I was always afraid to play because of my propagandized ignorance of the game. I was in my school library one day in 1994 when I noticed a paperback novel left on a table. The cover caught my attention. The red dragon in the background looked very similar to the cover of Hero’s Quest. I checked out Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the rest is history. I started reading fantasy novels like crazy, my friends noticed my interest in fantasy and invited me to play D&D, and I remain an avid fan of fantasy and RPG to this day. I even DM a 3.5 edition campaign of Dragonlance which you can read about on our wiki!
    For me, Quest for Glory was a catalyst for fun, excitement, and socialization far beyond what the series offered in hours of play-time. I owe a lot to the Cole’s for their creative influence throughout the Quest for Glory series. This Kickstarter is my opportunity to repay the enjoyment they’ve provided me both monetarily and with zealous support!

• RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    Why is this project struggling? Are people getting kickstarted out?

I'd personally rather seen this succeed than the Obsidian kickstart.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The pitch video being awful probably doesn't help.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2012
    Because, unlike Obsidian (or even ineXile for that matter) the coles haven't done anything in a decade

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    An interesting tidbit from update 17:
    Alexander Freed (a writer on the SW:tOR team) wrote:

I've worked as a fiction writer for about a decade now, largely in the world of video games. I won't say I wouldn't be doing this without Quest for Glory (or Hero's Quest, as my ten-year-old self will always think of it), but those games absolutely shaped my sense of what was possible in an interactive narrative.

Breaking down plots with other writers, I've repeatedly used Trial by Fire as an example of the Right Way to generate player emotional investment in a city setting--not just by giving the player quests involving a place's residents and history, but by creating a large and rich supporting cast with attitudes that evolve slowly and subtly. Other games have tried it, of course, but few have executed it as well.

Shadows of Darkness remains one of my touchstones for how to give a player the chance to make All Things Right--not requiring it, but allowing players who want the happiest ending for everyone to actually achieve it. (Yes, I saved the Rusalka.)

To this day, I'm still comforted by how few "bad guys" the series had (Ad Avis and the Demon Wizard are the only ones who spring to mind)--my bleeding heart wishes there more modern games that didn't insist on having a Guy You Hate and Kill.

I wish that a plush Meep was a Kickstarter reward. :( Or a jello antwerp mold!

steam_sig.png
    Update with some preview art from Eriq, the artist:

1112_Hero-U_KickstarterPromoStudioShot2.jpg

That art does look considerably better

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'll be really sad if this fails.

That said, this kickstarter definitely doesn't advertise to me the same way others have.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »
    I'll be really sad if this fails.

That said, this kickstarter definitely doesn't advertise to me the same way others have.

Yeah, there was a lot of learning by doing....

So the official website has been completely revamped. It's well worth a look even just for the new art! I attached a nice one below.

With the campaign coming to a close and still a ways to go, it's now or never folks.

undergroundlair.jpg

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    Kickstarter threads are forbidden. My fault for missing this, and I'll reopen it later this week.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    Apparently I mad a mistake.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    It's over today anyway

steam_sig.png
    It ain't over yet :)

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Looks like this one made it. $4,000 over their goal with two hours to spare. I was hoping this one would get there. Looks interesting.

Yay! The campaign was a success!

Even though the kickstarter is over, you can still be a part of the game through Paypal, check it out here.