As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I created an account to check out the combat and see how the game feels, the combat feels like trying to thread a needle under a waterfall of sloppy wet shit.

I got to level 9, which really isn't saying much since you basically get a free level 6 after the tutorial - I have 22 boxes in my inventory.

What the fuck.

If you can be more specific about what's bothering you with the combat, maybe someone can direct you to an archetype that will work better for you.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    It's just loose and laggy. I realize it's an "actiony" type of combat but it feels slippery to me and choppy.

I'm not done giving it a chance, after playing WoW for 7 years I realize my expectations have been filtered. I am working on changing that and getting back to enjoying games for the sake of the game.

I even subscribed for a month so that I can check out everything without being limited.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    What are you fighting with?

Did you go freeform? With you being subbed, you can.

I made an Inferno and a Blade.

I have no touched freeform yet because I have no idea what is what and I guess you only get 1 of those slots.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    All gold characters can be freeform.

steam_sig.png
    Suggestions for a good solo character for someone who knows jack shit about CO?

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Suggestions for a good solo character for someone who knows jack shit about CO?

You're subbed, yes? I believe you get access to The Invincible archetype (power armor) as part of your sub, if you don't want to go freeform.

PA plays a bit differently than other sets, but the slot mechanics allow for some excellent soloing ability. My favorite attacks from that set are Minigun, Plasma Beam, and Micro Munitions (Fire All Weapons is also a decent choice as you approach the level cap). And, thanks to the way PA works, you can have all three of those things firing at the same time. It's kind of like that scene in Ironman 2 where Stark and Rhodes are fighting back-to-back against the drones, except it's just you and you have all the weapons.

I recommend going freeform and following the power progression from the archetype, if you're new. The AT is good, but it locks you into the Tank role which kind of has lame DPS (the same powerset in Hybrid role does a ton more damage while still giving zero fucks about enemy attacks). You'll definitely want Overdrive, Energy Shield (block), and Invulnerability. You may also want to pick up Bionic Shielding from the Gadgeteering tree as a supplemental heal. For stats, I like Constitution primary with Ego and Recovery as secondaries.

edit: also, if you get bored of doing missions, Smash Alerts are an excellent way of earning XP (my PA dude went from 6-40 in 12 hours of /played time doing alerts exclusively).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    So how are the vehicles?

Shawnasee wrote: »
    So how are the vehicles?

Slightly overpowered, but only if you buy into the lockbox shenanigans to get mods for them.

eww...fucking lockboxes.

Double XP going on till Monday...probably in light of CoX being no more.

Regardless...double xp.

Shawnasee wrote: »
    Double XP going on till Monday...probably in light of CoX being no more.

Regardless...double xp.

Indeed. I'll be able to quickly level up my Statesman clone this way.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And I spent all that time over the summer grinding six alts to 40.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Wow..the ending of SL really needs a "confirm to leave". I hit Z right when I killed the boss and it took me out of the zone...didn't get to loot him. Doh.

Having an all purpose button that is for looting as well as for transitioning zones (and leaving your loot behind) is part of the reason Cryptic will always be a maker of lesser games.

I love champs online, but so many of the design decisions are simply hateful.

• DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Had CoH in my list of MMO fall backs when i got tired of Sword and Sorcery. Now that my mastermind is no more I'm looking for a new super MMO to take up the slack. Tried DC Online and maxed out one toon but just wasn't that interested in building another. How's Champions by comparison?

Darcsteel wrote: »
    Had CoH in my list of MMO fall backs when i got tired of Sword and Sorcery. Now that my mastermind is no more I'm looking for a new super MMO to take up the slack. Tried DC Online and maxed out one toon but just wasn't that interested in building another. How's Champions by comparison?

It's a remarkably superior paper doll factory, the combat is different but I would say it's about as entertaining. DCUO has greatly superior storyline and content. Champs Online has always suffered from a lack of decent content and inferior writing.

edited December 2012
    Darcsteel wrote: »

It's a remarkably superior paper doll factory, the combat is different but I would say it's about as entertaining. DCUO has greatly superior storyline and content. Champs Online has always suffered from a lack of decent content and inferior writing.

Having played both, I concur with all of this. Champs wins hands-down on customization and powers options, and is arguably better at combat mechanics. DCUO has arguably better graphics, and has better presentation/storytelling than any other MMO out there (except maybe SWToR, which I haven't played). Sure, the objectives still boil down to "kill Y mobs, steal their conspicuously glowing crates", but it's one thing when it's a huge blob of text in Champs, and another thing entirely when the goddamn Batman/Superman/Lex Luthor is personally giving you (high quality) voice-acted orders.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    and has better presentation/storytelling than any other MMO out there (except maybe SWToR, which I haven't played).
    Are you really saying that when games like The Secret World exist?

steam_sig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So it looks like 'something big' is starting next week.
    CO.com wrote:
    Something big is on the way to Millennium City. Over the next two months, starting next week, we’ll be releasing new adventures, planned for a release every two weeks.

This mega-event is going to unfold similarly to the Nighthawk event from last year: New missions will be added over time, with new items available to tie in with the theme. Everything’s going to culminate at the end of the event, with what’s planned to be a custom Alert. Starting next week, you'll be able to get a free costume piece, plus the new Grav Bike Arsenal lockbox.

It seems to tie into this unusual story piece posted at about the same time.
    +++UNTIL DECRYPTION KEY ACCEPTED+++
    +++WELCOME, AGENT+++

+++ENCRYPTION PROTOCOL ALPHA INITIATED+++
    +++PRIORITY MESSAGE FORWARDED BY ANONYMOUS SOURCE+++
    +++WARNING: RECORDING HAS BEEN DISRUPTED+++

– something’s got them all stirred up down here. Whatever they’re up to, it’s –

– I think they’re tracking our comms. Tribunal Actual, be advised, safehouses may be compromised –

– what? Give me resources from Carolingian or Clockwork! Don’t tell me that there’s not enough for –

– start evacuating. I don’t care, they can go to Columbus or Indianapolis. This isn’t just going to go away, and unlike the Qularr, they’re already here –

+++END OF TRANSMISSIONS+++
    +++PROTOCOL ALPHA TERMINATED+++

Sounds like as good a time as any to dive back in, with my WoW card expired and TOR having chased me off once I figured out EA isn't so much rewarding players who pay but punishing players who don't.

edited January 2013
    I hope this new stuff is not vehicle based.

I don't own one, I have no interest in them, they are not anything that I was ever looking for in this game.

Regina Fong on
    I'm interested in the vehicles myself but I'm somewhat boned in owning one as I don't have the ability to buy one at the moment. Shame they couldn't release a free beginner's model.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    screenshot_2010-05-15-01-18-19.jpg

I always liked my Power Armored guy when I still played.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

I'm sorry, but I thought:

"Tony Stark, you have the ability to inspire great fear."

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I meant to share this but can't recall if I did.
    After much tedious grinding, I FINALLY unlocked vine swing for my character, Bubbles:

G7eUf.jpg

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

Where's MJ, the albino sensation?

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So woo, started trying this again.

Had the lifetime when they launched, so I had something crazy like 11k Zen points.

Down to 8k now after buying most of the costume packs.

Though unless something clicks, I'm thinking that I'll be spending most of my playtime in STO ('cause spaceships)

There's no way to transfer Zen across is there?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    From game to game? No. Once it's earned or bought for a specific game, that's it.

Their "free costume pieces" thing went into affect a couple days ago. I was surprised that it is exactly what it sounds like. You log in with any character, go to Ren Cen, talk to a dude, get a free costume part.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thought as much.

Guess I could try organising someway to transfer the things you can buy and trade with it. Keys or something.

But :effort:

Move to New Zealand
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I just tried this out, and I like it so far. I'm trying to decide between this and DCUO. I don't get why more people aren't willing to play one of these for a super hero mmo. They're both a lot of fun. Why aren't more people into this? I mean I know it's been 3 years, but am I missing something?

Steam: offday
    Bitterness?

Really though, there are those that say it's story is cartoony and crap.
    There are those that say the costume creator is not as robust as CoH's.
    There are those that say it's a dead game anyway so why start.
    There are those that say it sucks but don't explain why.

I like it. I am a lifer too. I don't play all that often but when I do I play for a couple months and then cycle between other MMO's when I burn out.

I can't speak to DCUO cause I hear that the costume creator is trash so. :D

My problem with this game is I have nobody to play with, and every time I get online, nobody seems to be in the PA chats.

steam_sig.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My problem with this game is I have nobody to play with, and every time I get online, nobody seems to be in the PA chats.

That's the reason I stopped playing Champs and STO.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited January 2013
    http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=798701

Are these things account wide unlocks, or char specific?

Edit: Apparently reading is not my super power, it's account wide

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm almost used to playing without PA folks only because I'm usually so late to these MMO parties.

Steam: offday
    edited January 2013
    I'd love to play with other PA-heroes and I even suggested making a PA-supergroup. Not much interest however was given for the latter.

1/16 EDIT: New story-piece popped up on CO's site.
    CO.com wrote:
    To: mark.whitaker@codemonkey.com

Subject: New Leads, Kaspar

Guess who’s got two thumbs and is going Pulitzer-hunting again? I think there’s another supervillain running around, he’s got cultists throughout the city. They all dress a little weird, and normal people don’t huddle like that – especially in alleyways. Or next to the UNTIL building.

We got some photos, but they scattered before we could get too close. Kaspar’s the key. I got a tip from a cape – the one who got that helmet – that Kaspar was being tailed. Took some doing, but I found where he went to ground. And you thought lockpicking was a pointless skill!

They weren’t just digging around on Java, like he told Michael: They think it was Lemurian. So maybe we’ve got a Lemurian supervillain running around brainwashing people? It could be an issue, because these guys aren’t just brainwashed, they’re juiced-up. One of them tried to break in when I was interviewing Kaspar.

You remember when I joked about pranking you? Setting up a taser next to a door, with a string tied to the doorknob? Let’s… save that for the zombie apocalypse.

Long story short, we got out a side door, I’m fine and Kaspar’s gone into hiding again. Next step is figuring out what’s really going on. I’m going to start talking to the capes, get them to investigate – especially right next to the UNTIL building. If you – finally! – get your yellow belt, maybe you can join me. : )

Julie

Owenashi on
    Sorry for a double-post but the big climax for the Lemurian Invasion is hitting this week and it looks like it has a worthwhile prize to win.
    CO.com wrote:
    The Lemurian Invasion mission begins next week. This 10-man event will sit in the same window as Alerts and the UNTIL Skycarrier map. (Note: Currently, this requires 10 people to start the queue, but if people fail to respond to the “Ready” prompt, it can begin with 8 players.)

The rewards include 700 Questionite, some vehicle mods, some gear, and a 10% chance at getting a Lemurian tank vehicle. That chance is per person, too, so on average, one person per mission will get a free vehicle.

This isn’t a small piece of content, either. The Lemurian Invasion has five different phases, and each one has all the superhero theme Champions showcases so well. You’ll be saving citizens and helping UNTIL put together Millennium City’s defenses, and in true heroic style, saving the day in a climactic boss battle against the Bleak Harbinger. Of course, if you fail, who knows what the Lemurians’ Bleak Ones will do to Millennium City…

This mission is up on PTS now, and should launch on Thursday. You’ll be able to use a loaner UNTIL flying disc during the mission.

Here's the story-piece that goes along with the mission announcement BTW.
    +++UNTIL DECRYPTION KEY ACCEPTED+++
    +++WELCOME, AGENT+++

+++ENCRYPTION PROTOCOL ALPHA INITIATED+++
    +++PRIORITY MESSAGE FROM MAJOR KWAMBE+++

All UNTIL agents in Millennium City, drop your coffee and get out there. The Lemurians are here in force, clustered around the Renaissance Center. Looks like they’ve got drills coming from underground, and some infiltrators as well.

I won't lie, the situation isn't good. The US is sending everything they’ve got, but it’ll take time for the army and the rest of PRIMUS to get here. Our people… hopefully they’re on their way. We think the Lemurians sabotaged some communications channels, and we’re working to get them back online. We’re assembling a strike team of heroes, so we’ll have help from capes soon. The Champions and UNITY itself are already at Lemuria itself, trying to figure out what started this whole thing.

The real threat is going to be in the air. Start calling in favors from any capes you know. Hover tanks, grav bikes, those jets that vigilante had – hell, we still have some flying discs, too. Once we start the counterattack, it’s going to have to come from the air. The Lemurians aren’t taking prisoners, and if they have any fliers, we’re going to get shredded. We’ve already got flooding from their first bombing runs, and they might go for our emergency shelters.

For now, this city has to stand on its own. We’ve done it before, and we’ve learned from the worst – if we can hold out against the Doctor, we can handle some lizards. Priority number one is to stay alive until we can get that strike team of capes together. Stick to the supply dumps, and try to get those defenses running, but don’t get stuck in. We are outnumbered and outgunned.

Work with the capes, and keep an ear out for briefings on the Lemurians’ magic; Major Boudreau will be handling that. They may have some kind of Bleak Harbinger, so call in your contacts, and don’t engage anything taller than an average building.

Stay smart, stay safe, stay dangerous. Kwambe out.

+++END OF TRANSMISSIONS+++
    +++PROTOCOL ALPHA TERMINATED+++

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Started playing this again. It's much improved - fun, even. Wish there were people though.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I've re-joined this game several times over the course of its existence, starting back when I pre-ordered it until... probably 6-8 months ago now.

Each time's the same, really... I enjoy the hell out of the character creator, start playing, get to the 3rd or 4th zone (Millenium City or just beyond) and realize how fucking bored I am. Go back to character creator to enjoy all the cool shit I can make, but get bored faster and faster each time I actually try to take one of my creations into the game world until I just give up.

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    This is why I want an active SG to do things with.