As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Dungeons of Desolation” - Roguelike on XBLIG (Five free codes)

TubeTube Registered User admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niV2nXWxPCE

Dungeons of Desolation available on Xbox Live Indie Games

webboxart.jpg

Price: 80 MSP (roughly $1)

Dungeons of Desolation is a dungeon crawling RPG that draws from roguelikes with turn based combat, randomly generated levels, items descriptions changing with every new game. It has over 100 items, over 80 monsters and four different skill trees with dozens of different skills.

Skill Trees are:
Combat - Increase weapon damage, allows the use of better armor and special melee attacks.
White Magic - Healing and buffing spells.
Black Magic - Damage and negative status spells such as confuse, stun and sleep.
Grey Magic - Utility spells such as Recall, Create Food and Gate.

Giving away five free codes:
K89HT-P36PT-7HMFG-3TQMX-F9JW3
FRX8C-93MHK-WQXRP-XDJQY-YKV2T
KJKRK-FWDC9-KY7QX-YGGH6-JQT6J
FWMT3-BCKG3-DMJY4-3T9Y7-RYF9B
RQ2XX-6GYRT-GRD6K-DRHVT-7Q49D

screen10.jpg

screen12.jpg

screen11.jpg

• Options
    OnlyLuckOnlyLuck CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Ooooh an XBOX roguelike? Think I might try this out.
    FYI, all those codes are used. People aren't looking at stickies apparently.
    Bought anyway cause 1 dollar ain't no thang. Just so you know I bought MS points for the first time for you.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    johnrothjohnroth Madison, WIRegistered User new member
    Your first Roguelike on the Xbox? But wait, there's more!

You should also check out Battlepaths, Silent Call II, Dark Delve, Dungeon Adventure, and Cursed Loot.

• Options
    ZenfarZenfar Registered User regular
    Love the look of this Roguelike, keep coding and shipping, Indie4Ever!

• Options
    Just so you know I bought MS points for the first time for you.

Awesome!

• Options
    So now that I've spent a few hours with this game, I'll go ahead and say it's pretty fun.
    My main peeve is some of the button assignments in the menus. Specifically, that B is cancel for most things, but in the hotkey assignment it switches to back (which makes sense since B is a hotkey), but combined with the fact that X is use an item instead of A, it means I frequently accidentally overwrite a hotkey with some random item.

It would also be nice if there were some way to have it automatically use a torch or refill a lantern when it runs out.

Also, I assume it's for memory reasons or something that it generates a new level every time you leave it? Caught me by surprise the first time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So now that I've spent a few hours with this game, I'll go ahead and say it's pretty fun.
    My main peeve is some of the button assignments in the menus. Specifically, that B is cancel for most things, but in the hotkey assignment it switches to back (which makes sense since B is a hotkey), but combined with the fact that X is use an item instead of A, it means I frequently accidentally overwrite a hotkey with some random item.

It would also be nice if there were some way to have it automatically use a torch or refill a lantern when it runs out.

Also, I assume it's for memory reasons or something that it generates a new level every time you leave it? Caught me by surprise the first time.

I have had a number of people mention the auto refill of the light sources. I was originally against it as I felt the it was something you should keep an eye on to not run out of light at a bad time, but since enough people have mentioned it I think that I might add that feature when I do an update.

The new levels are to be like the traditional roguelikes that I used to play like Moria and Angband. In those you could never get back to a floor after you left it.

• Options
    Ahh okay. I'm more familiar with the Nethack/Dungeon Crawl variety.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Working a Dungeons of Desolation rework using Unity.

There will be some significant changes from the XBLIG version:

- Playing around with a time limit on the player turn which might allow multiplayer.
    - Lighting will be per tile instead of the XBLIG circular glow as it just works better.
    - Player inventory space will be a lot more limited to start. Starting with 15 slots and upgrading later...
    - Changing the stats system to more standardized: STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON
    - Complete overhaul of the GUI using windows that can be dragged around and resized.
    - Working on a crafting/enchanting system that will be a match 3 mini-game.

Check out a Unity web player development build here: http://onlyluck.ca/DOD/

Controls:
    - Movement Keys: WASD (pressing two keys at once will do diagonal moves)
    - Click on an adjacent tile to move there
    - Attack an enemy by moving into it
    - Right click on a door to open or close it
    - The green bar that counts down the time remaining on the turn. When it empties the enemies that their turns.
    - Open/Close Player window with P key, Inventory with I and Map with M
    - Equip an item by right clicking on it in the inventory
    - Pick up an item that you are standing on by pressing or clicking the "PICK UP" button in the item list

I will be updating this development build often. Right now it only has a couple test items and enemies in the starting room, but hopefully that will change soon. All feedback welcome!