As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vampire: The Masquerade, The [Phalla] for Columbus Night : Camarilla* and Neutral victory

AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the SpiralRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Critical Failures
Vampire: the Masquerade, the Phalla for Columbus

yyh2A.jpg
A game inspired by @cj iwakura with invaluable design aid from @MrTLicious

Prince Pietr Rausch rose in the evening of August 10, 2012 not expecting it would be his last night on earth. Prince Rausch ruled Columbus for over a century, slowly building the city from a Midwest Cowtown to an important white collar regional hub. Prince Rausch was exceedingly proud of his city and with the loss of Detroit, Montreal, and Cleveland to the Sabbat in recent years, he knew Columbus was an important bulwark for the Camarilla. Sure, the Sabbat sent incursions into Columbus every few months, but they were always found and swiftly dealt with.

Prince Rausch let his blood work slowly through his body, throwing off his sleepy malaise. Nodding to his ghoul bodyguards, they brought him his finely pressed Armani suit and a glass of his favored drink, the blood of Germanic maidens. Sipping his first drink of the evening, Prince Rausch was overcome with pleasure. To a Ventrue, anything other than his chosen blood type tasted of ashes, but that chosen variety, that special something, that tasted like the nectar of gods.

Drink still in hand, Prince Rausch moved from his bedroom out into his main hall and down into his study, as was his custom. He planned on hearing the nightly report from his seneschal, then the state of his city’s defense from the sheriff.

One of his bodyguards opened the door to his study for him and stated, “Boss, just wanted you to know everything is in place.”

Prince Rausch gave a slight nod of approval. “Very good, Mr. Masters, very good.”

Prince Rausch entered his study and headed over to his desk. Sliding into the premium leather seat, he turned on his desktop computer and flipped the switch to the fire bomb placed inside the computer that very morning by a “computer tech” sent to fix a virus the Prince had been having issues with.

The resulting explosion led every TV stations nightly news as it burned down one of the most expensive mansions in Upper Arlington. The news reported the loss ten lives including that of wealthy billionaire Emily Rausch, but the Cainites of Columbus knew the true total was 13, including the three most important Camarilla leaders in the city.

The Sabbat had announced their arrival through flame. The Battle for Columbus had begun.

What is a Phalla?

Phalla is Penny Arcade's version of the popular party game, Mafia. Bandwagon has a great synopsis of the game in the thread bookmarked at the top of Critical Failures. But, you already knew that. The theme of this game is Vampire: The Masquerade set in the City of Columbus in the August 2012. If you don't know anything about V:TM, I’m sorry for your loss. Knowledge of the setting will be helpful, but you won't be at a disadvantage in this game if you don’t know anything about the setting. I promise. I reserve the right to adjust Canon as I see fit.

This version of Phalla is both a faction game and a battle game. There is a traditional village full of the uninformed majority (the Camarilla) whose goal is to eliminate all threats to the village, however the village itself is divided. Be careful where you place your trust, you are all the living damned.

The Rules

!Sign up in boldlimegreen. Reserves may also sign up by posting !Reserve. Clarifications may be asked in !bolddarkorange and will be collected in the second post. As many of you know, I work third shift EST, so I have funky hours. If I haven't answered your question during the day, it's not because I have ignored it, it is because I am asleep. I will be getting up early during this game to ensure everyone has their questions answered in plenty of time to decide on a course of action for that night. The game has a cap of 60 players and will begin once this cap is reached, with the possibility that we may delay until after Thanksgiving in the United States if sign ups are moving slow due to the holiday. I hate to work it that way, but I'm just not sure on how quickly sign ups are going to move.

Standard phalla rules apply. This includes, but is not limited to, no copying/pasting, taking screenshots, taking pictures of and e-mailing or anything else of role PM’s. Anonymous communication with other players is forbidden. Anyone you communicate with must know exactly who you are. Speaking in code is also forbidden. One death post that contains no in-game information is allowed. Communication of any kind with dead players is forbidden. I must have access to any proboards created. You are encouraged, but not required, to add me to any PM conversations you have with other players, so I have a feel for how the game is playing out and the clarity of any explanations I give.

The Most important Rules for this phalla follow:

Each player starts with 7 hit points (game reason, in the RPG each pc has 7 health levels). If you are reduced to 0 health, you are killed.

Each player starts with a 10 blood points (again, borrowing from the RPG). If you reach 0 blood points, you enter torpor, a dreamless state. You may not take any action, post, vote, or respond to any pms while in torpor. Another vampire may take an action on any future night to feed you 2 blood points, if they so choose, which will wake you the following night.

Most players will have three points of discipline powers, broken up between their choices of three disciplines taken directly from the RPG. Each level of a discipline has a more powerful effect, however higher levels of disciplines cost blood points to power.

There is an extended day 0, which will be begin after role PMs are sent out to allow for customization and the Prince Vote. Therefore, beginning day 1, each player loses 1 blood point to force their corpses awake at the beginning of every day. This blood loss occurs before any other action.

Each player may spend 1 blood point to heal one health level of damage, to a maximum of three blood points per night. Aggravated damage costs 2 points of blood per wound level to heal.

Each night a player may take one of four actions:
1. Hunt for blood: gain 2 blood points.
2. Attack another player, doing 1 points of hit point damage.
3. Use one of your disciplines.
4. Feed a vampire in torpor 2 points of blood from your blood pool.

As a reminder, trust and truth are valuable commodities in phalla. If you wish to bring a new person into a conversation you are already participating in, you MUST begin a new conversation and cannot simply add them to the old one.

All players must post once a day, including a vote post for a player to be lynched, designated in !boldred. Retraction posts can be made in !boldlimegreen , but are not required. The last !boldred vote post for a given user will be the one that is counted. You will also have the chance to vote for a new Prince on Night 0. You will vote for the Prince in !bolddodgerblue. Being the Prince has it’s perks.

Do. Not. Edit. Vote. Posts. Period. For. Any. Reason. Fullstop. Dot.

Time-traveling posts have potential to cause some confusion. It is strongly recommended that you quote the post you are replying to. Posts that are somehow eaten by the servers will be considered to have not existed at all. You are responsible for ensuring your posts go through.

You will receive one (1) warning for inactivity before being removed and replaced. So long as replacements are available, players will be replaced, until the point of no return.

Voting for this phalla will close at 9:00pm EST. Only posts with a timestamp of before 9:00pm EST will be accepted. Special actions must be PM’ed to myself or listed on proboards by the same time. Orders put into an edited post after 9:00 pm EST on a proboard will not be accepted.

Once sign-ups are complete, the game will commence IN THIS THREAD.

Most important of all, remember this is a game and play nice with the other kids.

Unless your job is to stab them in the back.

Order of Operations:

Vote> Blood loss > some passive actions > healing > roleblocks > hunting for blood > busdrivers > defensive actions > feeding those in torpor > seers > attacks

Assuran on

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    1. Langly
    3. JaysonFour
    5. CesareB
    8. Kaplar
    9. Jdarksun
    10. Fiaryn- Sir Fabulous
    13. TheRoadVirus
    15. I Needed a Name to Post
    16. Baidol
    21. SeGaTai
    27. Anialos
    28. Alegis
    30. CapFalcon
    31. Egos
    33. WhiteZinfandel
    34. Stever777
    38. Phyphor
    40. Dumpshock
    41. Gaslight
    42. Celebrim
    43. Wiet
    45. CaptainPlanet82
    49. HeavyVillian
    50. Solar
    53. Cythraul
    54. cj iwakura
    57. MagicPrime
    60. Spoit
    62. El Skid
    63. Maximus

Reserves:

The Dead
    Night 1:
    Prince Infidel - Clan Gangrel
    Virgil_Leads_You- Clan Tremere
    Retaba - Clan Brujah
    Enlightenedbum - Clan Toreador
    Gizzy - Clan Brujah antitribu
    Premium- Clan Tremere
    Teh Spectre - Clan Brujah
    Delmain- Clan Toreador

Night 2:
    The Dead:
    Kay- Clan Lasombra Sabbat
    Pharezon- Clan Gangrel
    Kime - Clan Malkavian Primogen
    38thDoe - Clan Brujah
    Lonelyahava- Clan Ventrue

Night 3:
    The Dead
    Oaklore - Clan Tremere antribu
    The Anonymous - Clan Malkavian
    Warban - Clan Nosferatu
    ZombieHero - Clan Nosferatu
    Matev - Clan Tremere
    Facetious - Clan Malkavian antribu member of the Black Hand
    ObiFett - Clan Gangrel Anarch
    GrimmyTOA - Caitiff Anarch
    Cayrus - Clan Gangrel.

Night 4:
    The Dead:
    Pecavvi - Clan Malkavian
    Bedlam - Clan Tzimisce, Sabbat
    LoserforHireX - Clan Tremere
    Void Slayer - Clan Malkavian
    Rainfall - Clan Toreador
    JonathanMichaels- Clan Ventrue

Night 5:
    The Dead:
    Figgy - Clan Toreador antribu member of the Sabbat Inquistion
    blahmcblah- Clan Tzimisce, Sabbat
    MIkeyCTS - Clan Malkavian
    Kilnaga - Caitiff, Camarilla aligned
    Mill - Caitiff, Camarilla aligned
    Shalmelo - Clan Ventrue

Leaving the game in victory:
    SaberOverEasy
    - Clan Assamite, Returned to Alamut with his quota.

Night 6:
    The dead:
    SeGaTai- Clan Ventrue Antribu member of the Sabbat Inquistion
    Cythraul - Clan Brujah Anarch
    CapFalcon - Clan Toreador Anarch
    HeavyVillian- Clan Ventrue

The Sabbat Inquisition has been eliminated.

Leaving the game in victory:
    Alegis-Clan Assamite, met his quota of blood and returned to Alamut.

Clarifications

Does busdrivers happening between attacks and defenses mean that busdrivers will only redirect kills, or that they will redirect everything but kills?

Busdrivers will act as they normally do. They are blocked by roleblockers, but will otherwise switch targets of everything. I will alter the lineup so that it is more clear.
    So feeding someone in torpor can be busdrivered?

Technically, yes. The Blood would not be given to the unintended target, however.
    if I select to give someone blood, but after the night's actions lose enough blood so that I would put myself into top or by donating the blood, will the action still go through?

In that situation, you would enter torpor.
    Can we search for blood if we still have the 10? i.e. Is there a blood cap

Any blood over 10 at the end of the night is wasted. So, yes, there is a cap.
    IS IT EVER POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN MORE DISCIPLINE POINTS

No.
    If we hunt for blood, does this result in a net gain per night of only one blood point?

That is correct, you net 1 blood.
    just realized I didn't see this in the OP

Conversions, millers, thralls?

Confirmation Denied.
    Is diablerie a thing in this game?

I thought long and hard about it, but it is not part of this game. I just didn't like the runaway aspect it could provide.
    If a player is unable to post due to being in torpor, does this count as them being inactive?

That would be a rather dick move on my part. If you're in torpor, you explicitly can not vote, so no, that does not count as inactivity.
    Because this has been asked multiple times in PMs, clarification time:

You can temporarily go above 10 blood points during the night, but any blood points above 10 at the end of the night are lost.

Also, you can not give blood to other players under normal circumstances to fuel their powers.
    Are instances of torpor public knowledge

Yes.
    If one is saved from torpor, will he know who did it?

Not from the host.
    So, are attacks anonymous?

Yes.
    What happens if multiple people give blood to a vampire in torpor? Would he come out of it with extra blood?

Any number of players may give blood to a player in torpor. A player will come back to life with between 2 and 10 blood.
    What happens in a vote tie?

Everyone tied is culled from the game.
    Can the prince be red voted?

No one is immune to the red vote.
    Should have probably put this in the opening post, but I'll do it now.

Do not talk to anyone else who is dead about this game when you die without my expressed consent. Sorry.
    Would we get narration mentions if a faction is wiped out?

Due to powers available in this game, clans will not be revealed to be eliminated. The Anarchs and the Sabbat will.

Narrations
    Elysium
    A New Prince is Crowned
    Night 1: The Sabbat draw first blood
    Night 2: The Camarilla strikes back
    Night 3: Blood in the Streets
    Night 4: Retrenchment.
    Night 5: All is Quiet on the Westerville Front.
    Night 6: The Beat Goes On.

Assuran on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    faction gaaaaaaame

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    You've made a powerful enemy today, thread.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    !Signup

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    RAWR, I'm a vampire!

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Yes, please

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Om nom nom

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Blooooooodd

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Let's see what the brujaha is all about. ;-)

Kaplar on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    !Sign Up

I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE ON ALL THAT LIVES

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I DEMAND RAVNOS.

Does busdrivers happening between attacks and defenses mean that busdrivers will only redirect kills, or that they will redirect everything but kills?

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    The only thing that should Sparkle is Twilight Sparkle.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    i am a sexy dracula

• warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Also Honk Honk i'm a goose or something.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    i am a sexy dracula

You're certainly something. I'm not quite sure its that though.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Is it time for Phalla?

YES itIS TiMEfoRPhallA SaBEr!

Is it time for Phalla?

That was a rather quick palate cleansing Phalla break.

- Terence McKenna
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I could sign up for this phalla.

But I'm running one.

Do I have time for both?

Kilnaga wrote: »
    Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

Plus, I get the opportunity to play an insane vampire oracle.

And kill more people.

But mostly the insane vampire oracle.

Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

And kill more people.

It feels shorter than that. Then I realize Blarney's game lasted forever.

- Terence McKenna
    Delmain wrote: »

Busdrivers will act as they normally do. They are blocked by roleblockers, but will otherwise switch targets of everything. I will alter the lineup so that it is more clear.

Rainfall wrote: »

But I'm running one.

Do I have time for both?

Yeah, you will. I am still unsure when this game is going to start. It all depends on the signups. There is a chance it won't start till after Thanksgiving.

Rainfall wrote: »

But I'm running one.

Do I have time for both?

THERE IS ALWAYS TIME FOR BLOODLETTING. RIP AND TEAR.

IF YOU AREN'T VOTING FOR ME FOR PRINCE ON DAY 1I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO YOU PEOPLE. MURDER YOU CAN BELIEVE IN VOTE FIARYN 2012

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

And kill more people.

Yup. And I got day 1'd there. So it's been a nice little break.

Assuran wrote: »

Technically, yes. The Blood would not be given to the unintended target, however.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

And kill more people.

I'm sorry for that. :( It felt like the sort of game the mafia would deeply regret leaving you alive.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

And kill more people.

I'm sorry for that. :( It felt like the sort of game the mafia would deeply regret leaving you alive.

Eh, it happens. I'm just in a phase where it's happening a bunch, hence my need for a little break :)

jdarksun wrote: »
    Is it time for Phalla?

It's been two weeks.

And kill more people.

Eh, it happens. I'm just in a phase where it's happening a bunch, hence my need for a little break :)

Well, its Ani's turn to get constantly Day 1d, so no worries.

- Terence McKenna
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I hunger!

....For blood!

liEt3nH.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Death to all vampires

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Dude, if half the stories I've heard, and/or made up are true, vampires will kill you. There's no question!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ARE BLACKULAS A FACTION

Fiaryn wrote: »
    ARE BLACKULAS A FACTION

Depends on what you consider a Blackula.

TRAP SPRUNG, SETITES CONFIRMED

Shawn and Gus from Psych dressed as Lestat and Blacula > silly Donald Glover.

- Terence McKenna
    NO BUT SERIOUSLY SETITES ARE JUST

THE WORST. THE ABSOLUTE FUCKING WORST THING.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    !Setites are quite literally the WORST.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991