As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mighty Avengers cast (Spoilers)

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    I don't think [spoiler:6cfc17256b]Sentry[/spoiler:6cfc17256b] would be on the team considering that [spoiler:6cfc17256b]he's working for Nick Fury right now[/spoiler:6cfc17256b]

Wait, what? When was that revealed?

I don't think it has been. He could be referring to Nick Fury appearing in the recent Iron Man issues, where he sends Sentry out after Tony. Tom Breevort has already said that Fury's only in the last Iron Man arc because of a scheduling mess-up to do with the incredible lateness of Secret War and Ellis' first Iron Man arc. The official explanation is that the Nick Fury in the latest Iron Man arc is an LMD (not a perfect solution, as it doesn't explain why Iron Man and others who must know it's an LMD aren't treating it like one, but better than nothing).

Bogart on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    What was he doing in HoM? Anybody know?

I have a fuzzy memory of him talking to Beast in a lab, being ticked off that he didn't matter so much since he wasn't a mutant. I'm pretty sure it was him anyway.

Yeah, that seems right. He was trying to sequence the mutant genome at Stark Industries, got told off for being "anit-mutant" because he was trying to find the scientific reason for mutation (X-gene), and then I stopped bothering to read the series.

That was it for the main book, but in Iron Man:House of M he turned his research into a weapon, creating hundreds of mutant destroying bio-weapons and planting them all over the city, which Iron Man, Johnny Storm, Magneto, and a bunch of other people had to team up to diffuse. He said it was his "purpose" and that the bombs were killing "mutants, not people." So yeah, total dick.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited August 2006
    Haha. Hank Pym: a dick in every reality.

Bogart on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    Characters schmaracters, I will be buying this series for Cho's art. <3 Frank Cho and his big-bottomed, big-chested women.

cheesecake has its place, but this is not a good match unless he tones it down. I will not be buying this series, because I do not like Bendis or any of the characters, but this seems to be a strange artist choice.

DouglasDanger on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Hank Pym looks like machine man.

Hank isn't on there. That's Wonder Man. People are already speculating that Hank dies in CW4 due to his non-appearence.

My mistake.

Wonder Man looks like Machine Man on that cover.

Mai-Kero on
  • RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I like Black Widow, but she only really works as an Avenger when shes leading it. Otherwise she would be better off doing her thing in DD or the upcoming Spider-Woman book.

Its kinda a weird lineup, not alot of chemsitry there but I guess that didnt stop the old New Avengers. Plus Frank Cho's art tends to be hit and miss, and his covers tend to have poor layouts; guess we'll see if he can keep a monthly schedule as well.

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    I think Kirkman said that Hank Pym would be a supporting character in the new Ant Man book.

DJ Eebs on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, how is Black Widow a superhero? She's a spy, so most of her skills are in spying. Doesn't operating as a member of the world's foremost superhero team run contrary to her training? Maybe if her membership was a secret, or something...

Anyway, I don't like this cast at all. Frankly, it reminds me of Force Works. Iron Man's the only really good character on the roster (I never read Ares, mind you), and everyone else just strikes me as tragically bland (just lackeys to the newly dickish and manipulative Iron Man).

But then, maybe this new series will come wish fresh new takes on Wonder Man, the Wasp, and such.

robosagogo on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I kind of like Dickish Manipulative Iron Man. I am just waiting to see how Civil War ends before I pick this up. If Pro-Reg wins, I will buy this in a second. They'd be like a prick patrol.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2006
    The Sentry is the only (non-cosmic) hero I see giving Thor a run for his money.

Maybe Hulk.

I think Black Bolt could take him too.

robosagogo on
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm going to link it for now, rather than post the image in case you ignored the spoilers warning in the title.

http://wizarduniverse.com/_images_/001514/COVER-180-AVENGERS.jpg

I'm pretty "meh" on the cast. No one I really care about, or even like to read.

Oh well.

Uhh...

[spoiler:e642fc1703]Has Black Widow had a sex change? Or a serious breast reduction?[/spoiler:e642fc1703]

Azrael on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    The Sentry is the only (non-cosmic) hero I see giving Thor a run for his money.

Maybe Hulk.

I think Black Bolt could take him too.

Oh man why didn't I nominate Black Bolt for the tourney! Aughh

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
    edited August 2006
    Azrael wrote:
    I'm going to link it for now, rather than post the image in case you ignored the spoilers warning in the title.

http://wizarduniverse.com/_images_/001514/COVER-180-AVENGERS.jpg

I'm pretty "meh" on the cast. No one I really care about, or even like to read.

Oh well.

Uhh...

[spoiler:04aad9870d]Has Black Widow had a sex change? Or a serious breast reduction?[/spoiler:04aad9870d]

read the thread, stupid

SA on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Seriously, can anyone take Black Bolt? If he shouted, I imagine he'd destroy the entire Norse and Roman pantheon. Thor would do stupidly try to fight him hand to hand and promptly get his stupid head blown off.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Am I the only person that likes Wonderman? I thought more people would be excited to see him on an Avengers Team again.

Anyways, that lineup is pretty "meh" with me too. Even though it has more of a "classic" Avengers feel then NA does, the team seems kinda unbalanced with regard to powers. Four tanks (If Ms.Marvel is still bulletproof), Three ass-kickers, and two immortals. I can't think of many things that could take this team down. The first thing that comes to mind are psionics (Wonder Man's only weakness) but I think in Marvel, gods are virtually-immune to telepathy. (Prof X wasn't able to access Thor's mind before).

Gigaton on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So, when exactly do we stop calling the New Avengers the New Avengers?

It's been out for a year.
    I think they're just The Avengers now.

The Muffin Man on
    edited August 2006
    If the New Warriors are anything to go by...

robosagogo on
    edited September 2006
    Haha.

"I missed being an Avenger!*THWACK*"

Also, I thought Wonderman could fly. What gives with Sentry holding him?

Also I still don't like this. It cheapens the New/regular Avengers. The Avengers were a team that was made to take on Ultron and shit. Don't think the team can take them? Besides the fact they took down an adaptoid(with Spidey doing the big impressive takedown before Tony busted out the armor), I guess that doesn't count or something.

Maybe, I dunno, add these people to the main team?

:| It bugs the crap out of me..

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2006
    Also, I thought Wonderman could fly. What gives with Sentry holding him?

I'm pretty sure that he always had 'hip-jets' during his WCA days (as well as a mullet), but he was able to fly unaided when he was a pure ionic-energy being. I guess he's back to 'normal' now.

And I'm pretty sure that the new team isn't cheapening the old one. I think the idea is going to be that the Mighty Avengers are the officially sanctioned ones, while the New Avengers are more of an underground thing. Mighty = old school superhero asskickery. New = lower levels of power investigating corruption in SHIELD and the like.

Bogart on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    He was flying in the last issue of Ms. Marvel, wasn't he?

Conditional_Axe on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The team is like right out of City of Heroes. Girl with gun? Check. Girl with big boobs in a skimpy outfit flying around and whacking shit? Check. Guy in sunglasses and funky jacket punching shit? Check. Power armor blaster-dude? Check. Ridiculously tiny girl with hot ass? Check. Blonde flying dude with a cape and silver-age style costume? Check. Big brawny guy with an axe? Check.

I know the characters belong to Marvel and were around a whole lot longer than the game, and that several of these characters were Avengers in the past, it's just something I noticed.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2006
    haha Godzilla

anybody remember that SHIELD used to fight him?

edit: check out his history in the marvel U

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godzilla.htm

SA on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Briareos wrote:
    The team is like right out of City of Heroes. Girl with gun? Check. Girl with big boobs in a skimpy outfit flying around and whacking shit? Check. Guy in sunglasses and funky jacket punching shit? Check. Power armor blaster-dude? Check. Ridiculously tiny girl with hot ass? Check. Blonde flying dude with a cape and silver-age style costume? Check. Big brawny guy with an axe? Check.

I know the characters belong to Marvel and were around a whole lot longer than the game, and that several of these characters were Avengers in the past, it's just something I noticed.

I'm sad to admit one of my first thoughts was "Full Form Repulsor Ray = Nova!"

Scooter on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I've seen some people griping about all the quipping Bendis has them doing, as 'they're the pro-reg heroes, they should be acting more responsibly.'

i can't imagine superheros not cracking wise. Even Batman does it, guys.

Conditional_Axe on
  • jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    haha Godzilla

anybody remember that SHIELD used to fight him?

edit: check out his history in the marvel U

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godzilla.htm
    That was pretty good.
    I like how no one can stop him it's just shit, uuuhh do we feed him?

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • RetconRetcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Is it ok for me not to care about civil war in regards to Iron Man ? He's one of my favorite characters. Seems all the characters I really like in the Marvel U are on the pro-reg side, which kinda makes me mad cause im more sympathetic to the side who will no doubt win civil war. Its kinda a shame that the whole PICK A SIDE thing marvel was gunning for didnt really work out. This series looks liek it will be old-school asskickin fun, with frank cho art which is always a plus. Maybe Iron Man will stop being an asshat like he's being written now, and will start being awesome again. I just wish this thing would end so we could get back to regular avenging. Oh well, Im gonna go read Iron Man: Extremis agian, and hope to see another book with that guys art, and more stories written for Iron Man by Warren Ellis.

ps. what is the name of that artist and has he done any other marvel books ?

Retcon on
    Screw you guys. I'm going home !
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Retcon wrote:
    ps. what is the name of that artist and has he done any other marvel books ?

Adi Granov. I don't think he's done work on any other books outside of covers, and I doubt he will in the future since A) he's really slow and B) he's doing some work on the upcoming Iron Man movie.

Munch on
    edited September 2006
    that movie will be pure distilled awesome in oak aged vats

Retcon on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    But he's doing an issue of New Avengers this month. With the Sentry.

EDIT: Dammit. Pasqual Ferry is doing that issue instead because of the goddamned Iron Man movie.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rociel wrote:

God damn it fucking Christ Jesus stop talking to the fucking armor.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Oolong on
    edited September 2006
    Oolong wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

Rumor has it that its not Tony in that armor.

I think its a shitty rumor but its there.

SA on
    edited September 2006
    he says its not him all the time, but he is lying

Retcon on
  • RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oolong wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

It's not really that different from telling clippy to fuck off and die after he suggests something for the millionth time.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oolong wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

No one cares but you, dude.

And that other guy.

august on
    edited September 2006
    I thought after extremis he dosn't have to talk to it because he can control it with his mind. Which im pretty sure was supposed to be the case in most of the silver age, but i guess not.

Retcon on
    edited September 2006
    Force of habit?

Just for fun?

The Muffin Man on
  • Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The talking is representing the psychological interaction betwean Tony and his armor? However I prefered the idea that he controlled the armor like one controls ones own limbs. One doesn't ask ones arm to grab something.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Retcon wrote:
    I thought after extremis he dosn't have to talk to it because he can control it with his mind. Which im pretty sure was supposed to be the case in most of the silver age, but i guess not.

He doesnt need to, but he's like those people on cellphones that need to SPEAK LIKE THIS SO YOU KNOW THEY'RE REALLY IMPORTANT.

edit: Hey Ghost Rider of 2099! Loved your comic but the closing issues SUCKED.

Synthetic Orange on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    august wrote:
    Oolong wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

No one cares but you, dude.

And that other guy.

Yeah? Well I'm the other guy. And I think its the only thing that keeps me from disliking Iron Man.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg