As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, November 12, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 28: Features We Won’t Wii-Use

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, November 12, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 28: Features We Won’t Wii-Use

Satoru Iwata and Reggie Fils-Aime bore us to tears with peripheral Wii U features.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    That band reminds me of how we would keep everyone in the family entertained when the power went out. "You got the flashlights, five points!", "Ten points for whoever can eat all the ice cream before it spoils!"

What did the points get you? Flashlights and melting ice cream. Good times.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Wii U tech demo. *Facepalm, so many facepalms*

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I can barely watch that video chat. It physically hurts me.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Ouch, man. It's fine that the Wii-U will have some built-in "social stuff", but I'm beginning to think Reggie and Iwata aren't the best people to present the product.

Also, after Capcom blatantly slapped Xbox players in the face with "Street Fighter X Tekken", I have vowed to not buy another product developed by them. It's not the games so much as the attitude behind the production, and no amount of "new blood" will fix that.

metroidkillah on
    I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    Iron LungIron Lung Registered User regular
    I proudly maintain my position as the only person on Earth to have liked RE:ORC despite it's many flaws.
    ...so lonely....

• Options
    NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    Peter: I too have bruises on my soul now.

• Options
    shahryarshahryar Registered User regular
    I have determined, Nintendo is like rain man.....possibly brilliant.....but cant stop simply saying "yea yea twenty minutes to wapner yeeaa"

• Options
    jedidethfreakjedidethfreak Registered User regular
    I wonder if it occured to them that the reason he said it "Might" be used to chat with someone watching the same TV show is that you would have to know the person you're chatting with is watching the same TV show?

Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    $150? Forget sticker shock. I just got sticker whiplash.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Hey guys, before we go all nuts on the Nike Fuel band, please let's be objective here. It also tells time. BAM!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Curiosity: The MMO server overpopulation fail simulator

At this point if "what's inside the cube" isn't more servers, I'll be disappointed.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    ZeraphaelZeraphael PDXRegistered User regular
    FUEL! YAY!

fs_f4aaa2c905a534c3966d53bf5d2639c9.png
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Hey guys, before we go all nuts on the Nike Fuel band, please let's be objective here. It also tells time. BAM!

The FuelBand also uploads your activity to Nike where they're presumably putting together a global database of masturbation patterns.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Don RebaDon Reba Registered User regular
    Loved Kathleen's imitation of Gamestop's accounting department.

• Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    The borg are in the cube.

• Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    Reggie's office is small.

• Options
    AncientElderAncientElder Registered User regular
    So unless I raise money for Movember instead of just serving as a walking public reminder to get a prostrate exam there's no reason to grow a mustache? Ok well, I don't want to get beaten up like that time I tried to join the Shriners. Thought having a tiny car would be enough to get me in. I'll just go back to personal philanthropy instead of donating money to an organization that re-donates the money after taking a cut to pay their members and buy posters.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I hope we can all get behind the ideas that prostate cancer is bad and Movember results in a lot of pretty silly looking facial hair. How you go about combating those two facts is entirely up to you.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    LoganStormbringerLoganStormbringer Registered User new member
    Did Kathleen get engaged?

• Options
    Punk RexPunk Rex Registered User regular
    DANCE KATHLEEN, DANCE!!!

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »

The FuelBand also uploads your activity to Nike where they're presumably putting together a global database of masturbation patterns.

"Did we just get hit with a DDoS attack or did ScarJo's phone just get hacked again?"

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Rigs83Rigs83 Registered User regular
    So a Gamestop had a thief in the executives offices. I am so very surprised that a company that pays people four dollars for games they will resell for $40 has such kleptomaniac executives, really I am shocked.

• Options
    akzelakzel Registered User regular
    I know people might hate me for saying that, but… Kathleen can be REALLY loud sometimes, which annoys me big time. :P

• Options
    LadyMartelLadyMartel Registered User new member
    OMG... Reggie trying to speak Japanese was atrocious beyond belief. I feel like my ears are bleeding.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    akzel wrote: »
    I know people might hate me for saying that, but… Kathleen can be REALLY loud sometimes, which annoys me big time. :P

She's funnier when she has a "Wait, what?!" moment than when she's acting like an anime schoolgirl.

Except when Graham is doing the same thing. Then it's like the constructive interference makes it funny.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DJ_BunceDJ_Bunce Registered User regular
    So yeah, in case anyone is curious, I struggled with Reggie's Japanese, it was that bad. Seriously - awful. There was a good few seconds of me trying to figure out what he said. Sounded dumber than a bag of hammers...

• Options
    EpitomaEpitoma Registered User new member
    I do not know Japanese enough to translate what he said, but I watch enough anime to know that waht he said sounded like tossing words into a cement mixer and just repeating words as they come out.

Roughly, i think he said something like "hey japan wii-users, i am reggie from america." but it sounded like "america users hey am japan from wii reggie i" ....

• Options
    Senor MushroomSenor Mushroom Registered User regular
    I will say the free Microsoft points thing is highly reachable under certain settings. In college, my fraternity's common-room TV housed one guy's Xbox that pretty much everybody did their gaming on and literally probably 14+ hours a day a couple different guys would be sitting down. Each guy might only sit down for a few games at a time, but with big lots of people cycling in and out, there was usually somebody on it. We'd have gotten those points in a week or two.

"Video Games hurt children? Thats what they said about rock and roll."
  • Options
    bnowainbnowain Registered User new member
    I have to disagree with the usefulness of the Miiverse postings. I generally think most implementations of social networks on consoles are poorly thought out and tacked on so that marketing can use social gaming as a buzzword, but I think Nintendo got it right (excluding some bugs that cause the social features to freeze systems, but that should be fixed soon) I find myself genuinely interested in the promoted posts, and encouraged to post relevant stuff to the Miiverse while playing games. The fact that each title has it's own forum makes it all the more useful. The art on Miiverse is also astounding, something I don't think anyone expected. I think Nintendo's implementation of console social networking is an experiment that is already more successful than any other attempt at socializing the console experience (one that I didn't even care about until I saw it done correctly). Don't be surprised if some key features are copied by the other guys. (FYI: I have a 360 and PS3 also, love games)

• Options
    johnnywhitebreadjohnnywhitebread Registered User regular
    Watching Reggie and Satoru-san talk was so uncomfortable it made me nauseous. Not figuratively nauseous, literally nauseous.