As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This week on XBLA: Marathon: Durandal (and some chess or whatever)

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14887

Marathon, anyone?
Microsoft has announced that its regular Wednesday Xbox Live Arcade update will see yet another double header, with casual title Spyglass Board Games joining the remake of Bungie's cult pre-Halo FPS hit Marathon: Durandal.

Microsoft says Marathon continues Bungie's tradition of "great gameplay while remaining faithful to the spirit of Bungie lore as the predecessor to the Halo franchise." The game will feature high definition redrawn graphics, with controls redesigned for the Xbox 360 controller, and upgraded networking (as previously reported) for its Xbox Live multiplayer modes.

Freeverse, responsible for the Marathon remake, will also see the release of Spyglass Board Games a multi-game title produced in conjunction with Strange Flavour that will bring chess, checkers, mancala, and reversi to Xbox Live Arcade in one release.

The game will support the use of the Xbox Live Vision Cmaera to "personalize the game board, playing pieces, and video effects," with each game offering custom pieces to choose from, such as, says the release, "a rook made of stone, or a furry checkers piece with cute gleaming eyes." The camera support will also allow for fully integrated video chat throughout all of the games.

Both games will be available this Wednesday at a price of 800 points ($10) for Marathon, and 400 points ($5) for Spyglass Board Games.

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    points for effort, but you may want to put the word Marathon or something in the title. :P

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cctex823cctex823 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/

I do applaud the addition of high-def graphics and networking.

Marathon_macxbla.jpg

cctex823 on
    datnguyensig1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    But not even high def will reveal the mysteries of the shotgun loading mechanism.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    there you go. Having never played any of these (never managed to get the free versions working), i'm really looking forward to it. Should also keep me tied up a bit until Bioshock comes out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Re-release of the trilogy has made me SO happy.

So happy.

Finally people get to see what happens when Bungie makes (or should I say, made) a game series with wonderful gameplay and story. Check http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ out for the story on all of the games, told through the terminals. I wouldn't click on that if you weren't looking to spoil the whole game series though, as they've got almost every piece of info from the trilogy on that site.

Blowflu on
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Isn't this game Marathon 2? What about the first one?

Xeno on
    edited July 2007
    That one level in Marathon: Infinity with the invisible S'pht'Kr is like the scariest fucking video game level I have ever played.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Blowflu wrote: »
    The Re-release of the trilogy has made me SO happy.

So happy.

Finally people get to see what happens when Bungie makes (or should I say, made) a game series with wonderful gameplay and story. Check http://marathon.bungie.org/story/ out for the story on all of the games, told through the terminals. I wouldn't click on that if you weren't looking to spoil the whole game series though, as they've got almost every piece of info from the trilogy on that site.

they've not confirmed the trilogy yet. The team porting it said they were allowed to do one of the three, and see how it goes. They picked Durandal, because they felt it was the most complete of the three, but if it sells well, they'll think about porting the other two.

Also, i'd argue that Halo does have a decent story, but that's just me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited July 2007
    Xeno wrote: »
    Isn't this game Marathon 2? What about the first one?

bungie has said the Marathon one code is a complete mess, so they started with 2 because it was a much easier game to port.

and I am pretty much a bungie whore, have loved every one of thier games from Pathways to Marathon to Myth to Halo.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    there we go, title clarification to try and avoid confusion

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This news definitely makes this week much cooler. I look forward to playing through Durandal in HD and throw down in some MP.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
  • ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This will be the first arcade title I've bought in months, and I'm extremely excited.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, I already spend a MS points card on Assault Heroes and Bomber man. I am tempted because of the high res weapons and effects and the Live functionality. Maybe I will give in and buy this game I already own (and already bought once - I have the Marathon collection for mac).

Dratatoo on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want my points back from Wing Commander so I can spend them on something I will play more then once!

Please? :(

chamberlain on
  • EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is so far quite an awesome version of Durandal, a few things are changed here and there in the levels(At least it seems like they were...) with terminals placed in different locations, and some enemies not present on levels. Like level 3, on the PC/Mac version you have Pfhor fighting the green guys with mouths for stomachs(Forgot the name). Not so in this one.

There are probably other things, but that's what I've noticed so far. Nothing big. Still awesome though, and I haven't been able to try the MP as no one has been on it yet. :[

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
    edited August 2007
    awesome, think i'll be stumping up for this when i get home from work.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    myth plz tia :o

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man... Survival's frickin' *awesome*.

It's beautiful carnage. Havn't got to the point where Juggernauts show up, though... but I think I was getting close.

EDIT: Rank 53 for Survival, 13091. :D

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does this have online Co-op? If so, go to line 3.

Sex.

BlueDestiny on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Sex.

I think so? When I go to Multiplayer/Xbox Live, it lets me choose co-op. I don't have anyone else handy to test with, though.

I bought it. It seems pretty much exactly like the original, and you can turn off most of the fancy newness if you want oldskool (I actually almost prefer the original textures, they're not quite improved enough to make that big of a difference). The multiplayer seems to work well too.

I'm very happy with it so far, but I have a feeling reviewers are going to be biased against it - for most people it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that Doom/Duke/Wolf3D have, even though most people who played both generally agree Marathon was better than Doom. (Me? I was raised on Marathon, and never liked Doom much...)

Anyway, if anyone wants to play later this evening, drop me an invite...

rufo on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like it, but they really weren't exaggerating the motion sickness :( I played for 10 minutes and felt dizzy.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited August 2007
    D
    U
    R
    A
    N
    D
    A
    L

What's that spell?

Durandal? No.
    Durandal? No.

TROUBLE

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    rufo wrote: »

Sex.

I think so? When I go to Multiplayer/Xbox Live, it lets me choose co-op. I don't have anyone else handy to test with, though.

I bought it. It seems pretty much exactly like the original, and you can turn off most of the fancy newness if you want oldskool (I actually almost prefer the original textures, they're not quite improved enough to make that big of a difference). The multiplayer seems to work well too.

I'm very happy with it so far, but I have a feeling reviewers are going to be biased against it - for most people it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that Doom/Duke/Wolf3D have, even though most people who played both generally agree Marathon was better than Doom. (Me? I was raised on Marathon, and never liked Doom much...)

Anyway, if anyone wants to play later this evening, drop me an invite...

man, i read a quote from 3D Realms a while back saying they had Duke3D all ready to go, just need MS' say-so. That would be the best Live Arcade title ever made.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    But not even high def will reveal the mysteries of the shotgun loading mechanism.
    They get loaded using the power of pure BADASS.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2007
    well, i'm enjoying it so far, but i'm already stuck. Just a few levels in, i've already explored almost everywhere, been teleported to some kind of arena, then to an underground bit full of monsters, then found my way back to where i started. There's a large pool of water against a wall, which when i drop down into, has a conga-line of dudes in the corner on some staircase, but i have to try and punch them all because my guns won't work underwater. Hmph.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I had never played this until this morning, but then I downloaded the demo and bought the game about 10 minutes later. It's pretty amazing, and I'm feeling ashamed for having not played this for so long. I definitely have to look into the other two games now, and I'm hoping they come to XBLA as well because this seems to be a solid conversion.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    well, i'm enjoying it so far, but i'm already stuck. Just a few levels in, i've already explored almost everywhere, been teleported to some kind of arena, then to an underground bit full of monsters, then found my way back to where i started. There's a large pool of water against a wall, which when i drop down into, has a conga-line of dudes in the corner on some staircase, but i have to try and punch them all because my guns won't work underwater. Hmph.
    Sometimes enemies get "stuck" on each other like that. Killing one or two of them should get them moving around again, at which point you can simply lure them away from the staircase and swim over them.

If it's taking too long to punch things out, try to put some momentum into your swings. The faster you're moving when you punch something, the harder you hit. This doesn't work as well underwater, obviously, but it still makes a difference.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited August 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Sometimes enemies get "stuck" on each other like that. Killing one or two of them should get them moving around again, at which point you can simply lure them away from the staircase and swim over them.

If it's taking too long to punch things out, try to put some momentum into your swings. The faster you're moving when you punch something, the harder you hit. This doesn't work as well underwater, obviously, but it still makes a difference.

cheers, i'm assuming that's the way i'm meant to be going anyway, so i'll battle on through somehow

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried to like this, but it made me sick in about 5 minutes. :(

One more on the list.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have $11 to my name that has to last until Tuesday.

..Why did it have to come out THIS week?

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried the demo, it seems alright, but nothing terribly great. But christ, is there any way to do a manual reload?

UnbreakableVow on
  • penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hell, screw this new fangled controller stuff, I say we download this off Bungie.org and get a few games goin!

penguin5201 on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried the demo, it seems alright, but nothing terribly great. But christ, is there any way to do a manual reload?

Sure there is.

See, you take this gun, see?

You point it at some pfhor.

You pull the trigger until the clip's empty.

And it reloads!

Just like magic! :D

(But, no, it doesn't use a "magic clip" system like some other FPS's. )

Actually, the more I play it, the more I'm surprised how *good* the controls are. I mean, I've only played a few FPS' on the 360, and I was able to pick it up and kick ass in Survival right away.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blargh.

My brain just can't grasp console FPS controls. I prefer the legacy style in Halo (left stick moves forward, back, and turns; right stick looks up, down, and strafes). There is no option for that style in this game, as far as I can tell. :\

Maybe this will force me to finally learn it, heh. But I just have a hard time doing what I'd normally do with a mouse on PC to a joystick for some reason.

(Probably because the only console FPSes I'd ever played before Halo were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, so when I figured out Halo had controls in that style I never found a reason to learn anything else.)

ASimPerson on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Blargh.

My brain just can't grasp console FPS controls. I prefer the legacy style in Halo (left stick moves forward, back, and turns; right stick looks up, down, and strafes). There is no option for that style in this game, as far as I can tell. :\

Maybe this will force me to finally learn it, heh. But I just have a hard time doing what I'd normally do with a mouse on PC to a joystick for some reason.

(Probably because the only console FPSes I'd ever played before Halo were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, so when I figured out Halo had controls in that style I never found a reason to learn anything else.)
    Those are some wacky controls. I always use the right stick as mouselook.

FreddyD on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hell, screw this new fangled controller stuff, I say we download this off Bungie.org and get a few games goin!
    I'M WITH YA, BROTHER!

(I don't have the money to get it off live. )

Gorilla Salad on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Blargh.

Shit, no option for Legacy?..

well.

fuck.

Guess i'm not buying this afterall.

FyreWulff on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Shit, no option for Legacy?..

well.

fuck.

Guess i'm not buying this afterall.

Yeah, I didn't even think about it when I bought it. Knew I shoulda downloaded the demo first. :|

ASimPerson on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Seriously, every Xbox FPS needs Legacy. Fuck, even Doom 3 had it.

The only other FPS on a console without legacy was Half Life 2, but I forced myself through just for the game (I hope they added it in for the 360 version)

FyreWulff on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, how's the local multiplayer? Is there co-op? And if so, how many players?

Turkey on