As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    jesus his complaints are great.

having to get down on his knees to wash is degrading. Not enough butter for his bread without asking for more. Cell searches making a mess of his documents.

ftOqU21.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Is that normal for a Norway prison or has the country succumbed to terror despite the PM's inspirational insistence otherwise?

Pretty normal, yeah.

You didn't actually believe our prisons were like holidays, right?

Not holidays, but less beholden to sadism and revenge than what we enjoy in the United States.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Is that normal for a Norway prison or has the country succumbed to terror despite the PM's inspirational insistence otherwise?

Pretty normal, yeah.

Not holidays, but less beholden to sadism and revenge than what we enjoy in the United States.

are you saying this is sadistic?

ftOqU21.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Guys what do I want for lunch today?

meatball sandwich

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Pretty normal, yeah.

No, he's saying it's not sadistic

fuck gendered marketing
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

meatball sandwich

This is acceptable.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Panic patdown on the subway as I can't find my iPhone.

Then I realize I'm listening to music on it. New coat, new pocket.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The Prison
    "Looking at the internal environment I seriously doubt there's a worse penal facility in Norway, than the Basement of Ila prison, and I view being there as an additional punishment."

The Cell
    "The solitary cell that I am in is, as I said, stripped for furniture and has white walls that I'm not allowed to decorate. This worn cell from the 60s/70s is in the infamous cellblock that's nicknamed 'The Basement', where the only view you have is a prison wall that, with its nine meter height, blocks out everything except for the tops of a few trees."

Correspondence
    In his letter of complaint Breivik claims that only letters from "new-testament Christians and other people who don't like me" has gotten through censorship since the 8th of August. A short time before the central administration of the Correctional Services issued a memorandum to ensure that Breivik would not be able to control a criminal network from his cell.

Lack of daylight
    "As you know the windows have a dark foil applied to them, which reduses the available sunlight with around 60 percent. As a result of this I'm forced to take vitamin supplements to prevent Vitamin D deficiencies among other things."

Being unable to control the lighting
    "That the light- and TV- switch is outside the cell means that I have to call the prison officers through the intercom system for this (...) On several occasions when I was going to bed I've been forced to wait for up to 40 minutes before they've come to hand over my toothbrush and turn off the light.

The pen is bad
    Breivik claims that the rubber pen he was issued doesn't work for him. Using this pen he can only write around 10-15 words a minute. IT is also not very ergonomic, and according to the mass murderer it makes his hand hurt after using it for only a short while. "If it'd been theoretically possible to develop rheumatism, then I'm sure this rubber pen would have done the job."

Lack of common courtesy among the prisoners
    Breivik has four times complained that another prisoner in the solitary block at Ila has provoked him by increasing the volume of his stereo system. Breivik also complains about being scolded by the prison officers, as well as screaming from fellow prisoners. "I want peace and quiet. I want to be left alone."

No thermos-bottle for his coffee
    The terrorist is not allowed a thermo-bottle in his cell, according to the letter this means that he's forced to drink cold coffee 80 percent of the time.

Collection of cardboard plates and plastic utensils
    He describes the way the prison officers collect his cardboard plates and plastic utensils is a form of "low-intensity psychological terror", because he feels it requires him to hurry to finish eating and drinking.

Moisturizer problem
    He reacts to not being allowed to have a container of moisturizer in his room, but instead he's issued a plastic cup filled with cream. This means that much of the cream will be ruined during the day.

Gets too little butter
    The terrorist complains that at times he only gets enough butter for 2-3 of the 4 slices of bread he eats. "This creates unnecessary irritation because you ... either have to eat dry slices of bread or be made to have a bad conscience about asking for more."

Bad TV
    The mass murderer is upset that the TV has a very poor image and an echo to the sound, because it's locked up in a security closet made from steel and Plexiglas. Furthermore he's upset that his radio will only get channel P1 and channel P3.

Clothing
    "Since it is often quite cool in my living cell I usually wear a thick jacket / sweater at any given time (...) There are regularly problems when I ask for one of these garments. For some reason they often bring me a Lacoste sweater of the sort I use for special occasions. Despite the fact that I've pointed out several times that I don't want one of those, since they are quite valuable and should be spared a high degree of wear (...) I have therefore on several occasions wound up spending 1-2 days freezing until I manage to 'nag' my way into getting a prison officer to go into the storage area and fetch one of the correct jacket-sweaters."

Handcuffs
    "To be handcuffed is offensive and creates a mental strain. National guidelines for SHS requires me to be handcuffed before I'm moved to other rooms / the exercise area and/or before the prison officers open the cell door. During the last 14 months I've been subjected to handcuffing on average of five times a day – a total of more than 2000 occasions." The murderer who killed 77 and maimed many other for life says that he has six times has suffered "friction cuts where the steel edge on the inside of the handcuffs has ripped the skin on my wrists in a very painful way." This has led him to develop a fear of handcuffs.

Strip searches
    "The number of daily strip searches was reduced from January on, but even today it sometimes happens that I'm subjected to this twice a day. A strip search involves me being made to take off all my clothes, after which each garment is carefully examined." He describes in detail how such searches are conducted. "This is something I dread every day."

Feeling watched
    "The two cameras and the peephole in the door leads to a constant feeling of tension and of being watched (...) On occasion I am subjected to one of the daily 30-40 door hatch checks at the precise moment that I'm using the toilet, something which leads to a particularly great psychological strain. At times this can be experienced as a mental shock, especially if the hatch is slammed a the same time."

Controls
    "There is a hatch check every 30-60 minutes – 24 hours a day. AT night I occasionally wake up from having a flashlight shone into my face. It has also happened that they have woken me up if I've been sleeping without moving. It is known that they are not doing this for sadistic reasons, but to make sure that the prisoner hasn't committed suicide."

Cell searches
    Require him to rearrange his documents as they are occasionally brought into disarray. Breivik is also upset that he has to make his bed again after these searches.

Being moved
    In the letter Breivik expresses great frustration that he is apparently made to wait overlong to be moved to his training-cell, the study cell, or the outdoors area. He says that since 15 October he has stopped using the study cell. "The reason is that I feel the price I have to pay to use this offer is too high, as a daily struggle has to be fought to gain access to the cell for a full workday."

Denied art and a view
    "The solitary cell in which I live is, as I said, stripped of furniture and with white walls that may not be decorated. One is therefore denied the inspiration and mental energy that art and a view can give you."

Disturbed by prison wide messages
    Breivik asks to be exempt from receiving prison wide messages on the intercom, as "this is viewed as very irritating and at times an interruption."

Money
    "The requirement for my daily 'work money' allowance being raised from $7.2 / £4.5 a day to $10.25 / £6.5 a day from 1 October onwards was that in addition to studying, I would also wash the three cells that I use. In Skien prison I was given a mop with handle. In Ila on the other hand the only thing I'm given is a cloth, despite for my verbal complaints about this. I am in other words forced to scrub all three cells on my knees, something I view as degrading.

oh the hu-manity

sig.gif
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

meatball sandwich

Damnit, now I really want a meatball sandwich and the cafe downstairs only does meatballs on wednesday!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth

Pretty normal, yeah.

A lot of these measures are obviously rooted in sadism, yeah. They aren't pulling nails, I'm not suggesting he's being tortured, but some of these things are being done for the enjoyment of the prison staff and possibly the other criminals who are less immoral.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @TehSpectre has also given birth to a beautiful baby girl dorf. Congrats, Spectre!

I think i'm getting better at managing dorfs, i don't feel like managing 44 dorfs is too much anymore. i haven't lost yet, but not losing seems pretty fun so far.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    On one hand, I feel kinda bad providing the narcissist with attention.

On the other, his butter plight must be shared with the world.

The attention here is just hurting his image.

Not that he didn't come across as pathetic before but this

this takes the fucking cake.
    He really should have gone in an asylum. He is clearly crazy and lacks understanding of what a prison is and why it's the consequence of his actions. Plus I still think putting him in prison reinforces his fantasy that he's a legitimate political prisoner and not an insane mass murderer.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    How bout we ask the people he has killed and their families about his "inhumane" treatment?

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I am kind annoyed that he makes more than minimum wage in the US.

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why this Petraeus thing is so huge, and/or possibly overblown?

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why this Petraeus thing is so huge, and/or possibly overblown?

cia directors should ideally be people who can't be blackmailed. that's the proximate issue. if you have something to hide, don't be director of the cia.

besides that there seems to have been some dubious behavior

aRkpc.gif
    How bout we ask the people he has killed and their families about his "inhumane" treatment?

This is a common rebuttal but its always wrong, and born in emotion. It's not about empathy for the prisoner. It's about us avoiding the dark urges we feel. We should not promote sadism or revenge in ourselves. This shouldn't be controversial.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It's $10.25 a day

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

Pretty normal, yeah.

A lot of these measures are obviously rooted in sadism, yeah. They aren't pulling nails, I'm not suggesting he's being tortured, but some of these things are being done for the enjoyment of the prison staff and possibly the other criminals who are less immoral.

They should just film him and make a reality show of it, but don't tell him about it because then he'd probably act up. Just clip it down to an hour a week or so of him just grumbling and sulking so everybody can watch it and be like, enjoy your dry bread jerkface.

Gotta tread the line between catharsis and sadism.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The solution here is to flood his cell with butter. Plenty for bread, use as moisturizer, and makes sliding around on his knees to clean easier.

nibXTE7.png

This is a common rebuttal but its always wrong, and born in emotion. It's not about empathy for the prisoner. It's about us avoiding the dark urges we feel. We should not promote sadism or revenge in ourselves. This shouldn't be controversial.

exactly none of the complaints seem self-evidently necessarily borne of casual sadism

adherence to evaluable procedure is an objective good in itself when it comes to bureaucracies, like a prison, which inherently have problems with transparency. If this procedure is inconvenient, tough.

aRkpc.gif
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ronya wrote: »

cia directors should ideally be people who can't be blackmailed. that's the proximate issue. if you have something to hide, don't be director of the cia.

Oh I see, because the person who he had an affair with COULD have had/gained access to sensitive information, it's a potentially big deal.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

It's $10.25 a day

I doubt cleaning three cells is going to take over an hour.

On the other hand, closeted crossdressers are more than welcome to head the FBI.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Oh I see, because the person who he had an affair with COULD have had/gained access to sensitive information, it's a potentially big deal.

That and Afghanistan is apparently one big orgy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

Didn't she actually reveal some potentially sensitive information during a speech at a university?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    @spool32 did you vote for succession from the US in that Texas thing I'm hearing about?

hahahahah no.

I want Texas to take over America, not secede from it.

We'll show you lot how to run a legislature. You start by only letting them meet once every two years, and pay them like $8000 total.

spool32 on

there is some suggestion that she in fact did. but note that a third party could have tried to blackmail him over it, never mind the woman involved

aRkpc.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Panic patdown on the subway as I can't find my iPhone.

Then I realize I'm listening to music on it. New coat, new pocket.

i have done this while physically holding my phone

919UOwT.png

Or anyone else who found out about the affair could have used it against him.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    spool32 wrote: »
    @spool32 did you vote for succession from the US in that Texas thing I'm hearing about?

hahahahah no.

We'll show you lot how to run a legislature. You start by only letting them meet once every two years, and pay them like $8000 total.

Restricting democracy to the rich seems like a good idea.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How about having such pisspoor medical care people go to mexico for medication

Didn't she actually reveal some potentially sensitive information during a speech at a university?

There's a conspiracy theory going around that the CIA annex on the embassy was actually a secret CIA prison, and she made comments about the real reason militants attacked the embassy was to try and free people from that prison.

nibXTE7.png

exactly none of the complaints seem self-evidently necessarily borne of casual sadism

adherence to evaluable procedure is an objective good in itself when it comes to bureaucracies, like a prison, which inherently have problems with transparency. If this procedure is inconvenient, tough.

I don't think hiding behind procedure frees us from the consequences of falling prey to our self-destructive desires.

spool32 wrote: »

hahahahah no.

Restricting democracy to the rich seems like a good idea.

All our representatives are hardworking average Americans with not-politics jobs that are totally legit and have nothing to do with lobbying efforts or crony capitalism.

I don't think hiding behind procedure frees us from the consequences of falling prey to our self-destructive desires.

I think falling prey to self-destructive desires is only human, and prison procedure has to recognize it employs humans and has to restrict the tendency via procedural rigor, not invoke Hope and Goodness in Human Nature

aRkpc.gif

Right. Background checks do a lot of looking into that kind of thing. When I was going for my clearance, if they found evidence that I was closeted, they'd deny my clearance (or at least confront me about it so I can tell them "No, just because Pal Joey is my favorite movie doesn't mean I'm gay"). What if a blackmailer found evidence I was gay and then told me he'd reveal it if I didn't give him info? An affair has the same issue. There are lots of similar checks, if your credit score is fucked you don't get a clearance (because it makes it easier for a bad guy to buy you).

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular

I don't think the desire to punish transgressors of societal norms is self-destructive. I think it's probably pretty central to having societies at all.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular

?Como se dice "colonoscopy"?

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with

This is dumb and I have ground it into the dirt once before. When you live in a border town, "going to Mexico" is the same as "going down the street a couple of blocks".

This discussion has been closed.