As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Our BK has free Wi-Fi

really took out all the stops eh

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Man. The stuff my buddies do in computer science.

"Given a number n and a finite list of integers, is there a way to create the number n with any amount of numbers from the list using only + - / or * on them?"

Psyduck.gif

So wait, you have items:

[102015,201293,20,2012]

You have to get 4?

This is really easy assuming you can repeat numbers infinitely.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I've been sick for four fucking days

uuuurgh

Flu?

worst I've ever had

JKKaAGp.png
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Delmain wrote: »

"Given a number n and a finite list of integers, is there a way to create the number n with any amount of numbers from the list using only + - / or * on them?"

Psyduck.gif

So wait, you have items:

[102015,201293,20,2012]

You have to get 4?

Basically, yes.

The program would be pretty simple, in an inefficient manner.

Actually it'd be really easy. Just take the first number in the table, divide it by itself, then add it that quantity to itself times.
    (102015 / 102015) + (102015 / 102015) + (102015 / 102015) + (102015 / 102015) = 4

Delmain on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I've been sick for four fucking days

uuuurgh

I've been sick for three weeks.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Psyduck.gif

So wait, you have items:

[102015,201293,20,2012]

You have to get 4?

The answer seems a trivial yes. Because you can always do x/x=1, x/x + x/x=2, and voila, after that you can always reconstruct any number.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    we should take the people who make programs and replace them with the make a wish foundation, because you never see a sad cancer kid

and they have cancer

Ludious on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean sure you could do that with basic operations, but why would you want to? Such a waste of time. Seems like understanding bits/bytes/memory would be more useful and not waste time getting an answer you know for certain already.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Gooey do me a favor and move TO THE GODDAMN MOON

But in space no one can hear you WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB!

twitch.tv/tehsloth
    I mean sure you could do that with basic operations, but why would you want to? Such a waste of time. Seems like understanding bits/bytes/memory would be more useful and not waste time getting an answer you know for certain already.

Computer Science classes (and I mean like CS I, II, and III) are all about algorithms. So I guess I see the point.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So yeah, recursive bruteforce with each combination of numbers and operations?

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Googling reveals nothing.

I hate people who make programs. I hate them so much. And this is why.

You don't delete individual cells. You merge them with adjacent cells

Psn:wazukki
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Impressive numbers, especially considering the 4766-pound Tesla Model S Signature Performance version will nail 60 mph in 4.0 seconds and the quarter in 12.4 seconds at 112.5 mph, with a top speed of 133 mph.

jesus

Here's the kicker, there's no way to implement the algorithm without already knowing the size of the array.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    No one could replace Rob Halford in Judas Priest, but man Tim Owens made a hell of an effort.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wasted a hour today trying to find a problem in some HTML I'm creating on the fly. Turns out it was just IE shitting itself and inserting gaps because why not?

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    okay found a way. Get into a borders tap, but not by clicking the "borders" button.

just let me fucking remove it. I'm not making an excel spreadsheet here; I just have some data I wish to write into some rows and columns.

ftOqU21.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Psyduck.gif

So wait, you have items:

[102015,201293,20,2012]

You have to get 4?

it seems self evidently possible to me

like if you have unlimited + - / * operations you can turn any one number into any other number.

the hard part is coding that, damn.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Our BK has free Wi-Fi

I bet it has a holodeck and a ball pit too

But why would the BK here have wifi anyway, literally next door to one of the largest corporations in the state providing it a steady stream of hungry white collar workers who have ipads for just dicking around pretty much LEGITIMATE OFFICE WORK

Not that I'm annoyed or anything, my phone has LTE so I can just use it as a hotspot like it's the goddamn dark ages

override367 on

Pretty much, you can do cute things like mutiplying all the numbers together and making sure it's less than n to save a bunch of time to keep from attempting anything impossible.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    okay found a way. Get into a borders tap, but not by clicking the "borders" button.

just let me fucking remove it. I'm not making an excel spreadsheet here; I just have some data I wish to write into some rows and columns.

How do you feel about robots?

they're fine as long as they kill their creators.

ftOqU21.png
    Determine size of datatype on your system, count until you hit EOF/array out of range. There I used your numbers uniquely in their memory form.

Wow that has to be the most first world problem thing I've legitimately been upset about in a while

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about the Tesla car is that it's motor comes from Nikola Tesla's original 19th century patent.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    This Chinese buffet in town keeps taunting me, its cheaper than a salad from mcdonalds, delicious, and can leech wifi off the gas station next door

It has gained me ten pounds in 3 months, so I don't know what is in their beef and broccoli but it ain't low carb

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

How do you feel about robots?

they're fine as long as they kill their creators.

Oh I murdered the hell out of my creator. Stone cold killed that sucka.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I changed my mind. I'm going to get my daily requirement of grease from BK instead and take advantage of the FREE WI-FI
    that is slower than my phone's 3G.

Bless your heart.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I had my meatball sub. It was delicious. Even better, as I was walking through the mall, I bumped into a friend of mine I haven't seen in a while. Thank you for the idea, whoever suggested it.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    People who use the word 'pwned' should be put into concentration camps.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

At some point I want someone to explain to me why they feel driver operated touchscreens are a good thing and not a safety hazard.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    My god it's full of stars!
    JfuFa.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

At some point I want someone to explain to me why they feel driver operated touchscreens are a good thing and not a safety hazard.

It's not really an inherent problem with touch screens, more an issue with overly complicated interfaces that are accessible to the driver.

That thing BMW did with the multi-level menus controlled by a little twisty joystick thing was just as dangerous.

JfuFa.jpg

Look at all those names I know! It must be good!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    how do I delete a cell in an openoffice table

god I fucking hate computers.

right click, delete cell?

can't find any such option. Rows and columns I can delete just fine. But god forbid I delete a cell.

You want to delete the contents? Or delete the cell and shift everything down/up?

I want there to not be a cell there. There is nothing in them yet, I just have nothing to put in the top left corner.

Fill it with black.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    JfuFa.jpg

So how much will they have to make in order to break even after paying their salaries.

Sarksus wrote: »
    JfuFa.jpg

So how much will they have to make in order to break even after paying their salaries.

One. Billion. Dollars.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Randos in the secret Santa? Nooo

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    japan wrote: »

It's not really an inherent problem with touch screens, more an issue with overly complicated interfaces that are accessible to the driver.

That thing BMW did with the multi-level menus controlled by a little twisty joystick thing was just as dangerous.

Fair enough. I just still don't see an improvement over physical buttons for things like radio control. Something the driver can navigate by feel without removing their eyes from the road.

This discussion has been closed.