As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Met the recruiter, got the DAR shipped off (apparently I had to do a drug test WHICH I OBVIOUSLY PASSED) and I should hear back in a day or two if it's been approved or not.

So now I could leave way earlier or later. Sweatin' balls man.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Randos in the secret Santa? Nooo

I am *purses lips* concerned. But maybe it will all work out.

Bogart on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Fair enough. I just still don't see an improvement over physical buttons for things like radio control. Something the driver can navigate by feel without removing their eyes from the road.

I agree

I think it's mostly a new shiny technology thing

however, the idea of updating software is a cool one (although I don't car manufacturers have added new features and stuff to date)

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Sometimes Windows 7 swaps the order in which the thumbnail view of multiple windows appear when you mouse over them in the taskbar. This is annoying to me because I put one browser instance in each of my monitors, and I don't want to click the left thumbnail to expand the browser on the righthand monitor.

This has been another episode of Things That Irritate Spool32. I'm your host spool32.... tune in next time to hear why I don't like wooden cooking utensils even though they're often the best tool for the job.

spool32 on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    If I get Spool in the secret santa I'm buying him a MBP.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

At some point I want someone to explain to me why they feel driver operated touchscreens are a good thing and not a safety hazard.

It's not really an inherent problem with touch screens, more an issue with overly complicated interfaces that are accessible to the driver.

That thing BMW did with the multi-level menus controlled by a little twisty joystick thing was just as dangerous.

Fair enough. I just still don't see an improvement over physical buttons for things like radio control. Something the driver can navigate by feel without removing their eyes from the road.

Oh, I'm totally with you. I increasingly tend to think that ideally any control that requires taking eyes off the road should be locked out while in motion.

My personal favourite example of this kind of thing is the newer Ducati bikes with multi-level traction control, ABS, suspension, and engine map adjustment available through a snarl of menus accessed via two tiny buttons and an led display on the clock housing while the bike is in motion.

I am absolutely certain that is going to kill someone one of these days.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    data entry must be the worst job.

I am ready to murder something after only 40 cells of data entered.

ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Spool I too, hate wooden cooking utensils

Silicon or bust motherfuckers

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Fuck wooden cooking utensils for real though

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mim, have you considered the health benefits of smoking weed erryday?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »

it's not so bad

it is you who are the bad

I LOVE DATA ENTRY

wait I guess this explains a lot

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Data entry is the best job because half the time you can just say "Uh, I'll write a program that'll do this faster," which is actually fun.

I have spent so much time at work basically indulging in hobbies and still saving time for tedious tasks.

After a while your mind just wanders off and thinks about other things.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    what

I love my wooden spoons

also did you know you can lay a wooden spoon across a pot of boiling whatever, and it won't foam over?

When I was 17, that's what I spent my summer doing. I worked for the New York State Department of Education, and I had to take old index cards with GED scores from the 70s and input them into the computer. I couldn't even shut my brain off and just copy, because there were a bunch of dumb rules like we had to convert Richmond->Staten Island since they've changed the name of the borough, and if they wrote Queens we'd have to look up the zip code and put down the actual neighborhood they lived in.

what

I love my wooden spoons

also did you know you can lay a wooden spoon across a pot of boiling whatever, and it won't foam over?

this
    changes
    everything

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Sometimes Windows 7 swaps the order in which the thumbnail view of multiple windows appear when you mouse over them in the taskbar. This is annoying to me because I put one browser instance in each of my monitors, and I don't want to click the left thumbnail to expand the browser on the righthand monitor.

This has been another episode of Things That Irritate Spool32. I'm your host spool32.... tune in next time to hear why I don't like wooden cooking utensils even though they're often the best tool for the job.

If it's chrome, just kill the window on the right and then Ctrl+Shift+T to reopen it and they'll be back in the right order.

I don't know why it happens either

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    what

I love my wooden spoons

What? That sounds like scary magic. So your spoon is a GMO or nuclear power or vaccines and I WANT NO PART OF IT

/starts superPAC

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

It is not the worst job, though it is boring and repetitive. In its favour it is not customer facing minimum wage work, just minimum wage work. Having to plaster on a fake smile while some fuckwit jabs a finger in your chest to complain that their waffle iron doesn't work under water like they thought it would fills me with existential horror.

But one can get used to anything.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure you could work data entry into the WoW mechanics.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Shivahn wrote: »

Data entry is the best job because half the time you can just say "Uh, I'll write a program that'll do this faster," which is actually fun.

I have spent so much time at work basically indulging in hobbies and still saving time for tedious tasks.

this is something I need to learn

but then again most of my data entry is from written lab notebook to excel sheet, and coding won't help as much there

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I am pretty sure you could work data entry into the WoW mechanics.

Wasn't that what glider was?

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Spool I too, hate wooden cooking utensils

Silicon or bust motherfuckers

Wooden cooking utensils, yes. However, wooden spoons for mixing and baking are the boss.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Cinders wrote: »
    Mim, have you considered the health benefits of smoking weed erryday?

I have always put off smoking weed because I figured I'd get a job soon so "better not do it!"

Now I won't know what it's like until after I get out of the Navy or something.

i did data entry for wachovia. i ended up leaving shortly before they were bought by wells fargo. it was payment processing- sorting through many hundreds of checks and money orders per day and then processing them based on the rules of the account holder. some places said a forgotten date on the check was okay, for instance, while others didn't. some required the memo line to be filled out. some only accepted payments of X size; anything larger had to be broken into multiple payments.

it was tedious and mind numbing but i mean, it was better money than i'd ever made (at 20) and i got to sit in a climate controlled room and chat with coworkers. it was certainly fuckloads better than slinging pizzas and sandwiches, or agricultural work back in israel.

I tried to get a data entry job here in Philly, but all the places wanted 2-8 years of job experience.

I was like "FOR DATA ENTRY?! YOU BITCHES BE CRAZY!"

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

but then again most of my data entry is from written lab notebook to excel sheet, and coding won't help as much there

that's what I'm doing now, basically.

ftOqU21.png
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Yeah Data Entry might not be great, but I am sure it would beat the hell out of working at Wal-Mart.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Nope, not unless you've somehow scanned it in with a reliable optical character recognition program.

Basic programming is something I encourage everyone to learn anyway though - it saves time on all tedious tasks, an almost everyone who works on a computer has those at some point.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    you know what sucks

installing exterior doors when you don't know how

Organichu wrote: »
    i did data entry for wachovia. i ended up leaving shortly before they were bought by wells fargo. it was payment processing- sorting through many hundreds of checks and money orders per day and then processing them based on the rules of the account holder. some places said a forgotten date on the check was okay, for instance, while others didn't. some required the memo line to be filled out. some only accepted payments of X size; anything larger had to be broken into multiple payments.

it was tedious and mind numbing but i mean, it was better money than i'd ever made (at 20) and i got to sit in a climate controlled room and chat with coworkers. it was certainly fuckloads better than slinging pizzas and sandwiches, or agricultural work back in israel.

You don't want to be a hummus farmer, Chu?

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    My bamboo spatula is dope! It is the ideal blend of firmness while not having to worry about scratching up non-stick pans.

Silicon spatulas are fantastic too, but for different things, like pouring out cake batter.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The CIO said "why don't you have your new guy do that PERL scripting"

Now I have to figure out what a PERL is, what OS I use to teach it things, what a "scripting" is, and also how to control the weather

My worst job was working as a pharmacy tech for CVS.
    -Horrible public to deal with (poor; addicted to drugs; trying to get you to let them have more drugs)
    -Horrible insurance companies to deal with
    -Horrible coworkers to deal with (head tech had been working there since she got teen pregnant in the 90's, knew more than the pharmacists and was bitter that she made comparably $dick)
    -Slave wages and lousy hours

I did data entry for a medical practice back when NHS Scotland was computerising everything.

So basically I sat and read a lot of people's medical records. It wasn't that bad though, the system is (was?) based on numerical codes that combine in mathematically interesting ways such that it's theoretically infinitely extensible while being able to group related conditions together. I can't remember the details now but I remember being impressed at the time.

It did reduce the actual data entry to typing in people's details and then columns of numbers and dates. It was pretty good at catching errors, too.

The CIO said "why don't you have your new guy do that PERL scripting"

Now I have to figure out what a PERL is, what OS I use to teach it things, what a "scripting" is, and also how to control the weather

Perl is great if you're a nerd and it's 1999.

Huh. So, John McAfee (as in, McAfee antivirus) is apparently a kind of weird guy. He lives in Belize where he hangs out with gangsters. He is currently wanted for murder.

This discussion has been closed.