As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i did data entry for wachovia. i ended up leaving shortly before they were bought by wells fargo. it was payment processing- sorting through many hundreds of checks and money orders per day and then processing them based on the rules of the account holder. some places said a forgotten date on the check was okay, for instance, while others didn't. some required the memo line to be filled out. some only accepted payments of X size; anything larger had to be broken into multiple payments.

it was tedious and mind numbing but i mean, it was better money than i'd ever made (at 20) and i got to sit in a climate controlled room and chat with coworkers. it was certainly fuckloads better than slinging pizzas and sandwiches, or agricultural work back in israel.

You don't want to be a hummus farmer, Chu?

i fucking hated my time being a menial harvester as a teen. it was awful. i don't feel like i'm making any less 'honest' a living by sitting in a chair and getting something done for my employer. fuck toiling in the fields under the sun.

i wouldn't mind skilled labor- like gunsmithing or electrician or something like that. but mindless, physically laborious stuff, especially in the elements...

did it, hated it, hope to never do it again

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Yeah Data Entry might not be great, but I am sure it would beat the hell out of working at Wal-Mart.

Working in frozen was a dream slacker job when I was at Wal-Mart as long as you don't mind the cold.

Hide in dairy with friend, drink milk, eat yogurt, chat, realize she's not into you, hide feelings, continue eating yogurt

Also then claims the yogurt and milk out because it had somehow become damaged

Shivahn wrote: »
    The CIO said "why don't you have your new guy do that PERL scripting"

Now I have to figure out what a PERL is, what OS I use to teach it things, what a "scripting" is, and also how to control the weather

Perl is great if you're a nerd and it's 1999.

I'm just going to stick to writing status reports about UNIX servers, removing terminated employees from the system, and picking up trouble tickets I can handle that were written by somebody important until commanded otherwise directly

override367 on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    i did data entry for wachovia. i ended up leaving shortly before they were bought by wells fargo. it was payment processing- sorting through many hundreds of checks and money orders per day and then processing them based on the rules of the account holder. some places said a forgotten date on the check was okay, for instance, while others didn't. some required the memo line to be filled out. some only accepted payments of X size; anything larger had to be broken into multiple payments.

it was tedious and mind numbing but i mean, it was better money than i'd ever made (at 20) and i got to sit in a climate controlled room and chat with coworkers. it was certainly fuckloads better than slinging pizzas and sandwiches, or agricultural work back in israel.

i fucking hated my time being a menial harvester as a teen. it was awful. i don't feel like i'm making any less 'honest' a living by sitting in a chair and getting something done for my employer. fuck toiling in the fields under the sun.

i wouldn't mind skilled labor- like gunsmithing or electrician or something like that. but mindless, physically laborious stuff, especially in the elements...

I can see that being awful.

In contrast, though, the summer I spent landscaping was pretty awesome. Something about being able to look at a job well done at the end of the day feels good, man.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Where I'm from, being a farmer means sitting in the shade while poor people clean poop off your fields, and then you sell horses for seven figures to Emirati royalty.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Spool I too, hate wooden cooking utensils

Silicon or bust motherfuckers

Wooden cooking utensils, yes. However, wooden spoons for mixing and baking are the boss.

You're not the boss of me, future me

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    My worst job was working as a pharmacy tech for CVS.
    -Horrible public to deal with (poor; addicted to drugs; trying to get you to let them have more drugs)
    -Horrible insurance companies to deal with
    -Horrible coworkers to deal with (head tech had been working there since she got teen pregnant in the 90's, knew more than the pharmacists and was bitter that she made comparably $dick)
    -Slave wages and lousy hours

Hahaha. Yes.

You really learn a lot about them in industries like that.

Oh, this patient needs this basic generic drug to not have seizures?

We'll require a prior authorization to be a pain in everyone's ass!

Injectable drug for MS? It's expensive, so despite the fact that the only people who it's ever proscribed to have fucking MS..

Prior auth! Prior auths for everything! Then when the patient calls we tell them "No it's covered!" because apparently we're allowed to say we cover something if they can get it in theory. Even though we might deny it anyway.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Also, when you get a raise at Wal-Mart, they will give you like a $.25 raise. Like, why bother?

Also, when you get a raise at Wal-Mart, they will give you like a $.25 raise. Like, why bother?

On Walmart hours, that's a whole extra buck a week.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Then, some data entry jobs wanted me to know these programs I'd never heard of.

Man, I know the economy is in the shit and so employers can be a bit more restrictive, but that's just being a dick right there.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    My first job was in the pet department at Wal-Mart. It sucked a whole big bag of dicks. My duties were pretty much to stock and face shelves and scoop dead fish out of the tanks.

And my mom worked as a pharmacist at the same store, so none of the guys in receiving would help me find weed.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    At least the newbies in the SS thread have avatars. They're on the right track!

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    -Horrible public to deal with (poor; addicted to drugs; trying to get you to let them have more drugs)
    -Horrible coworkers to deal with (head tech had been working there since she got teen pregnant in the 90's, knew more than the pharmacists and was bitter that she made comparably $dick)

That seems about right. I worked at a walgreens for a long time and occasionally had to run the register or the drive through in the pharmacy when things were slammed and most of the people back there were pretty miserable. There were exceptions but I imagine when most of your day is old people yelling at you about how their insurance company is screwing them it can get to you. It was also super cramped and I wasn't allowed to go beyond some random line on the floor because herp derp I wasn't a tech or pharmacist.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just going to stick to writing status reports about UNIX servers, removing terminated employees from the system, and picking up trouble tickets I can handle that were written by somebody important until commanded otherwise directly

In all seriousness, if you have to learn a scripting language, it should probably be Python, not Perl. Perl's been... being replaced for some time now, in Linux anyway.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Hahaha. Yes.

Injectable drug for MS? It's expensive, so despite the fact that the only people who it's ever proscribed to have fucking MS..

Prior auth! Prior auths for everything! Then when the patient calls we tell them "No it's covered!" because apparently we're allowed to say we cover something if they can get it in theory. Even though we might deny it anyway.

I'm sorry

*holds down pillow*

It's for your own good

*cries*

fuck gendered marketing

Hahaha. Yes.

Yep. It's a nightmarish bureaucracy and I don't know how the legions of people whose sole job is to screw the sick out of coverage that they paid for can sleep at night.

Oh and Wal-Mart likes to say that WE PAY PEOPLE ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE! Minimum Wage in Michigan at that time was... $7.10 I think. They paid cashiers like $7.75.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Man, I know the economy is in the shit and so employers can be a bit more restrictive, but that's just being a dick right there.

Requirements - Must be fluent in Wordperfect, Lotus SmartSuite

Mim: they want me to prove I don't make typing errors? While in a sports car or something? Worst. Job. Ever!

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Huh. So, John McAfee (as in, McAfee antivirus) is apparently a kind of weird guy. He lives in Belize where he hangs out with gangsters. He is currently wanted for murder.

You leave out that he lives with a 17 year old girl, and has been experimenting with bath salts.

Oh and Wal-Mart likes to say that WE PAY PEOPLE ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE! Minimum Wage in Michigan at that time was... $7.10 I think. They paid cashiers like $7.75.

Yeah, when I worked at McD's, I got paid ten cents above minimum wage.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Cesca is back with her hard-bound thesis.

I was going to say that it is the size of a phone book, but actually phone books are thin and insubstantial things these days. It is about the size of the phone books of old, whose like we shall not see again.

I've seen MS degrees wanted for quality control stuff.

Like what the fuck, you want employees who are resentful and angry that they're wasting their time mixing antibiotics and washing produce? Someone with a graduate degree would be an acceptable employee, sure, but asking for one is dumb as fuck and pointless.

I was expecting $7.11, in keeping with their methods on pricing ITS ALL BELOW MSRP!

fuck gendered marketing
    japan wrote: »

I was going to say that it is the size of a phone book, but actually phone books are thin and insubstantial things these days. It is about the size of the phone books of old, whose like we shall not see again.

Could it cincievably be a murder weapon?

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Huh. So, John McAfee (as in, McAfee antivirus) is apparently a kind of weird guy. He lives in Belize where he hangs out with gangsters. He is currently wanted for murder.

Apparently AV guys are weird. The Norton guy has a pretty sweet house, it's one of the few houses in Martha's Vineyard that isn't the color of dead cedar or painted obnoxiously.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Elldren wrote: »

Hahaha. Yes.

I'm sorry

*holds down pillow*

It's for your own good

*cries*

Yes, be my angel of death! Free me from this job!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I am surprised to hear this, it always seemed like a p good job to me

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    My worst job was working McDonalds. The smell never came out of the damn uniforms. After finishing a shift it was all I could smell for a while. Customers were generally not awful but you'd get some. And they were all terrible during the beanie baby rush. The only perks were drunken sex in the walk in freezer and getting yelled at by a cop because of the beanie baby rush.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

IIRC wal-mart is actually a pretty big proponent of raising the minimum wage

although as you may suspect their reasoning is along the lines of what is best for wal-mart

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

Could it cincievably be a murder weapon?

Unquestionably.

You would pretty much have to double minimum wage in the states for it to be liveable.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

So it is no longer a mere book but has become a proper tome?

Cinders wrote: »

You leave out that he lives with a 17 year old girl, and has been experimenting with bath salts.

Well, yeah, I didn't feel a need to leave out the mundane details.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Mim: they want me to prove I don't make typing errors? While in a sports car or something? Worst. Job. Ever!

I've never used Lotus SmartSuite. I don't even know what it does! I've never needed it for school.

If it was something I ran into while obtaining my Bachleor's it'd be one thing. But something I probably wouldn't know about unless I specifically looked out for it in a night class while trying to get my Bachelors so that I might HOPE to get a data entry job, is a pain in the ass.

Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes indeed.

We shall have to get a lectern to store it on.

I've never used Lotus SmartSuite. I don't even know what it does! I've never needed it for school.

If it was something I ran into while obtaining my Bachleor's it'd be one thing. But something I probably wouldn't know about unless I specifically looked out for it in a night class while trying to get my Bachelors so that I might HOPE to get a data entry job, is a pain in the ass.

It is ridiculously obsolete, meem

fuck gendered marketing
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    oh man oh man one of my good friends works as a retail pharmacist in West Columbia, SC

He gets to deal with not only a great deal of aspiring meth heads, but also doctors that prescribe medicines that would kill patients because they're bad at dosing or talking to their patients about what they already take

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Tome of Award PhD

aRkpc.gif
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

tee hee

It was a competitor to MS Office, back when IBM software wasn't a dark comedy.

ronya wrote: »

Tome of Award PhD

*drops it in mud*

This discussion has been closed.