As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Cesca is back with her hard-bound thesis.

I was going to say that it is the size of a phone book, but actually phone books are thin and insubstantial things these days. It is about the size of the phone books of old, whose like we shall not see again.

So it is no longer a mere book but has become a proper tome?

Tome of Award PhD

Grants +1 to all social checks involving academia.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Oh and Wal-Mart likes to say that WE PAY PEOPLE ABOVE MINIMUM WAGE! Minimum Wage in Michigan at that time was... $7.10 I think. They paid cashiers like $7.75.

Yeah, when I worked at McD's, I got paid ten cents above minimum wage.

Chump, I got a whole dollar at Burger King.

But I was a closer.

Fuck dealing with closing shit.

Whole days worth of dishes left for me. Changing/filtering fryer oil (oh and being told "no you totally don't need safety gear to deal with 400 degree oil!), cleaning fry bin, grease traps, broilers, steamers.

I had it down to a science before I left. I could close the place in an hour after closing.

Like I'm surprised they didn't think of some of the genius stuff I did. We had this pressurized hose in the back they used to clean the floors. So I used it to pressure hose off a days worth of salt and fry gunk from the fry bin. Took me 15 seconds compared to the half hour it usually takes someone with a scour pad. Then bring it over to the sink, clean it with soap, dry it with paper towel, done.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    My employer finally abandoned Lotus smartsuite two years ago.

For MS Office 2000.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    when I was 14 I picked cantaloupe one summer, in arizona

when I started, they had me assembling cardboard boxes to put the melons in all day on the tractor thing

my hands were all cut up, so I bought some gloves but those got shredded too

then I started actually picking, which means you follow a tractor going like 1/3 mph, bent over, for hours

and it was like 115*F

fucking worst

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I've run into customers using Novell eDirectory.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    When I worked at a pool, I loved handling the paperwork as opposed to hopping in the pool and having to clean it while people swam in it (which didn't make sense to me).

I only got in trouble once while there for wearing sneakers, and I didn't even really get in trouble.

I did get told off for talking about China on the job at Macy's though.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    when I was 14 I picked cantaloupe one summer, in arizona

when I started, they had me assembling cardboard boxes to put the melons in all day on the tractor thing

my hands were all cut up, so I bought some gloves but those got shredded too

then I started actually picking, which means you follow a tractor going like 1/3 mph, bent over, for hours

and it was like 115*F

fucking worst

this guy knows

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

For MS Office 2000.

2 steps forward, one decade behind

fuck gendered marketing
    Organichu wrote: »
    this guy knows

I'm pretty sure it payed below minimum wage too, because it's farm labor

FUCKING IMMIGRANTS TAKING ALL OUR JERBS

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I feel like there are many things I need to get done today, I just can't seem to think of what they are

maybe I should make a list

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Tome of PhD is kinda boring. It is blue. That's probably the most exciting thing about it (except for the Thanks bit where I thank [chat] for keeping me sane). Slightly more exciting (though not very) will be the graduation in a few weeks.

on the real I hate cantaloupe to this day, and also mariachi music

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I worked overnight stocker at wal-mart one summer between high school years. Even though I was 17 those bags of dog food were still fucking heavy and caused me some back aches.

Did you discover them frozen in glaciers?

fuck gendered marketing

also mexicans and puerto ricans

Organichu wrote: »

also mexicans and puerto ricans

also my parents

Why do farm workers get paid below minimum wage?

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Dairy farm work is the worst, IMO. Long hours, little pay and cows crap on you. Last place I worked at during uni had me milking 840 or so cows twice a day, 65-70 hours a week. This is what happens when your parents decide to arrange you work in a farming district

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Mim wrote: »

Because nobody checks

fuck gendered marketing
    Elldren wrote: »

For MS Office 2000.

2 steps forward, one decade behind

We got Office 2003 last year!

It at least has a compatibility pack for those godawful docx files.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    When I worked at Walmart, one year I was up for my yearly review at the same time minimum wage went up. Instead of getting 20 cents above minimum wage, I got a raise of 35 cents, to the new minimum wage.

there are some pictures from the wedding

i look so fat and gross

*double checks that he has indeed lost 60 lbs*

*frowns at perplexing level of fatness*

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Because many of them are migrant workers in the country illegally, and who exactly are they going to tell?

Because nobody checks

I think farm work is exempt from minimum wage laws

let me google around

Did you discover them frozen in glaciers?

Nope. Sometimes schools end up with really weird patchwork infrastructures. And while there are exceptions, they tend to have a much greater number of users per IT staff member with generally a lot more travel. So if it works, then don't replace it. If it works and has a dozen jury rigged things coming off of it, then don't upgrade it.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Tome of PhD is kinda boring. It is blue. That's probably the most exciting thing about it (except for the Thanks bit where I thank [chat] for keeping me sane). Slightly more exciting (though not very) will be the graduation in a few weeks.

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen

Usually paid cash in hand with no record keeping on the part of the employer, and the employees are typically from fringe communities of one kind or another and aren't able/willing to organise enough to complain, and wouldn't expect anything to be done about it if they did.

So stuff like this happens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the hedgehog is right there

many farm workers are classed as seasonal temps even where min wage laws do not specifically exclude them

aRkpc.gif
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I also used proper lifting and when I was like "man my back is sore" they were all USE PROPER LIFTING TECHNIQUES! like it was some magic cure to being able to lift 100 bags of 50 lbs. of dog food and not feeling any worse after doing it.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Worked a day and a half at a firm that supplied chairs, tables and sundry other heavy things to events before getting sacked for, I believe, taking too long for a dump. Worked in a plastics factory for a while as well, making the stands for shop displays, heating big sheets of plastic and then driving a mould into them to create the shapes via a big machine.

Neither job was fun, but I'd take either over a retail position, I think.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs12.htm#.UKKUUoc0V8E

also it notes a change in 1996, so maybe it was different the summer I worked

I think I seriously made like $4/hr

Because nobody checks

let me google around

uhhh nope

If they told you this they lied

fuck gendered marketing
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Because nobody checks

I have gone through California's laws on wages before.

We have two separate wages:

Those for most employees

and those for sheep herders.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Because nobody checks

I have gone through California's laws on wages before.

We have two separate wages:

Those for most employees

and those for sheep herders.

New business idea: include sheep in all job duties to save labor costs.

The first night I worked a retail job with my sis, some woman called her stupid because she didn't know where something was. They put us on the floor before we got training. My sister came over to me and needed a hug because that bitch made her feel bad.

Bogart wrote: »
    Worked a day and a half at a firm that supplied chairs, tables and sundry other heavy things to events before getting sacked for, I believe, taking too long for a dump. Worked in a plastics factory for a while as well, making the stands for shop displays, heating big sheets of plastic and then driving a mould into them to create the shapes via a big machine.

One of my mates works at a place that does metal and plastic. Every time the council health and safety guy does his annual check they use the forklift to hide two of their table saws and a mill in a skip behind the premises.

Because nobody checks

let me google around

Some small farms are. Most are not. And there are laws covering farm workers to prevent them from being classified as temp workers. But quite often there is a degree of intimidation used to prevent migrant workers from speaking up.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Usually paid cash in hand with no record keeping on the part of the employer, and the employees are typically from fringe communities of one kind or another and aren't able/willing to organise enough to complain, and wouldn't expect anything to be done about it if they did.

So stuff like this happens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Morecambe_Bay_cockling_disaster

Uh. Wow.

That's so tragic, ugh.

Bogart wrote: »

I lasted a single day in a factory that made countertops

lifting these heavy as fuck, long ass countertops and running them through machines to smooth them and make them regular in size

little bits of fiberglass filling the air with a lung-shredding mist

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

This discussion has been closed.