As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Worked a day and a half at a firm that supplied chairs, tables and sundry other heavy things to events before getting sacked for, I believe, taking too long for a dump. Worked in a plastics factory for a while as well, making the stands for shop displays, heating big sheets of plastic and then driving a mould into them to create the shapes via a big machine.

Neither job was fun, but I'd take either over a retail position, I think.

Depends on the retail position. I've worked for three bookstore chains and they were pleasant places to work. Waldenbooks, then Borders and finally Half-Price Books.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Worked a day and a half at a firm that supplied chairs, tables and sundry other heavy things to events before getting sacked for, I believe, taking too long for a dump. Worked in a plastics factory for a while as well, making the stands for shop displays, heating big sheets of plastic and then driving a mould into them to create the shapes via a big machine.

One of my mates works at a place that does metal and plastic. Every time the council health and safety guy does his annual check they use the forklift to hide two of their table saws and a mill in a skip behind the premises.

The safety talks were basically: this machine can really fuck you up, so don't put your hands in it, and that other one over there is a fucking saw, so use your head.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    Why do farm workers get paid below minimum wage?

Because nobody checks

I have gone through California's laws on wages before.

We have two separate wages:

Those for most employees

and those for sheep herders.

New business idea: include sheep in all job duties to save labor costs.

So basically turn California into a larger New Zealand?

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    High-pressure retail sales was sometimes awesome but mostly terrible

fuck gendered marketing
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Tome of PhD is kinda boring. It is blue. That's probably the most exciting thing about it (except for the Thanks bit where I thank [chat] for keeping me sane). Slightly more exciting (though not very) will be the graduation in a few weeks.

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen
    496911149b4bc0835cd849530afa44d0.jpg

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i never really hated retail or food service. i mean, the people were annoying as fuck most days but i never really got angry or bitter about it. i just developed strategies to try and not be bothered by it. i definitely preferred that stuff to for-real hard labor where you'd get home and just want to take off your shoes (because your feet were swollen) and sleep immediately.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm just going to stick to writing status reports about UNIX servers, removing terminated employees from the system, and picking up trouble tickets I can handle that were written by somebody important until commanded otherwise directly

In all seriousness, if you have to learn a scripting language, it should probably be Python, not Perl. Perl's been... being replaced for some time now, in Linux anyway.

It's unlikely I could convince them to replace unix with linux on 440 servers and DRs and switch from perl to python

I mean we were down for 2 days last month and it cost the company $14 million (and the production servers never even went down!)

override367 on
    My feet would still be swollen as fuck after a day on the sales floor, but you probably got to wear more comfortable shoes chu

fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Ph.D needs a movie deal

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

One of my mates works at a place that does metal and plastic. Every time the council health and safety guy does his annual check they use the forklift to hide two of their table saws and a mill in a skip behind the premises.

The safety talks were basically: this machine can really fuck you up, so don't put your hands in it, and that other one over there is a fucking saw, so use your head.

The saw is the last place I want to use my head.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I am sitting through introductory game theory for the fourth time in just four years plus of economics education

where did my life go so wrong

aRkpc.gif
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I also worked in a frozen warehouse one summer in arizona

picking ice cream in -20F, where your snot froze inside your nose and your eyelashes iced over from your breath

or running a little motorized dolly thing to move meat in a slightly less cold area, and then separating pallets stuck together with frozen blood

we'd go outside on our breaks into the hot fucking summer, and then back into the freezers

I got so sick that summer

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Tome of PhD is kinda boring. It is blue. That's probably the most exciting thing about it (except for the Thanks bit where I thank [chat] for keeping me sane). Slightly more exciting (though not very) will be the graduation in a few weeks.

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen

yesssssssss

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen

I think he meant the "Thanks [Chat]" bit. Arch is an academic nerd. I'm sure he believes in the existence of books.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Ph.D needs a movie deal

THIS SUMMER

BOB CESCA
    JAPAN

IN

Ph.DOOM!

also this guy is getting the pedagogical epistemology all wrong

aRkpc.gif
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just going to stick to writing status reports about UNIX servers, removing terminated employees from the system, and picking up trouble tickets I can handle that were written by somebody important until commanded otherwise directly

In all seriousness, if you have to learn a scripting language, it should probably be Python, not Perl. Perl's been... being replaced for some time now, in Linux anyway.

It's unlikely I could convince them to replace unix with linux on 440 servers and DRs and switch from perl to python

I mean we were down for 2 days last month and it cost the company $14 million (and the production servers never even went down!)

Ah right. Yeah.

I've always had significant freedom in my jobs, because I'm lucky as shit, so questions like "Can I install the Python interpreter here?" get met with "Ok sure."

Or "I don't know what that is but you're not going to fuck the computer up so ok."

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

My employer is currently engaged in an upgrade of our core application.

For about two years myself and others have been telling anyone that is is worth saying it to that it is a mistake to pay millions of pounds for a monolithic system that does everything, when it would be far more efficient without losing any functionality to use various off-the-shelf systems for common tasks (document management, client contact records, automated letter generation, etc.) and keep the custom built stuff to a minimum. This also means that if the requirements change in a few years time (and they will) we stand half a chance of being able to upgrade without going through this whole incredibly expensive process all over again.

Guess what we're getting.

Deebaser wrote: »

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen

I think he meant the "Thanks [Chat]" bit. Arch is an academic nerd. I'm sure he believes in the existence of books.

Urgh. Can't be arsed.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Pfft, why pay your produce pickers when you can just use immigrant labor as slaves? That's how we did things back in Florida and it worked great.

Elldren wrote: »
    My feet would still be swollen as fuck after a day on the sales floor, but you probably got to wear more comfortable shoes chu

i did get some swelling either way but it was definitely worse in the hard labor jobs

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i never really hated retail or food service. i mean, the people were annoying as fuck most days but i never really got angry or bitter about it. i just developed strategies to try and not be bothered by it. i definitely preferred that stuff to for-real hard labor where you'd get home and just want to take off your shoes (because your feet were swollen) and sleep immediately.

I used to hide in the bathrooms and just sit on the toilet to get a breather from customers. However, I got pissed at managers after awhile because they'd be on my ass due to my age but the older women were allowed to do whatever they wanted, so I left.

ronya wrote: »
    also this guy is getting the pedagogical epistemology all wrong

Ugh I hate that feeling

The one where you know the lecturer is all sorts of wrong but you don't want to be a jerk and upstage them in their own class

fuck gendered marketing
    edited November 2012
    I have significant freedom in regards to my job, but we're talking about a system used by tens of thousands of people with hundreds of proprietary pieces of software

It's the difference between rearranging the shelves and setting sales at a retail job compared with adding drive through steakhouse to every wal-mart in the country

override367 on
    You guys had some shitty jobs.

The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

My employer is currently engaged in an upgrade of our core application.

For about two years myself and others have been telling anyone that is is worth saying it to that it is a mistake to pay millions of pounds for a monolithic system that does everything, when it would be far more efficient without losing any functionality to use various off-the-shelf systems for common tasks (document management, client contact records, automated letter generation, etc.) and keep the custom built stuff to a minimum. This also means that if the requirements change in a few years time (and they will) we stand half a chance of being able to upgrade without going through this whole incredibly expensive process all over again.

Guess what we're getting.

NOT INVENTED HERE

aRkpc.gif
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Cesca is back with her hard-bound thesis.

I was going to say that it is the size of a phone book, but actually phone books are thin and insubstantial things these days. It is about the size of the phone books of old, whose like we shall not see again.

So it is no longer a mere book but has become a proper tome?

I'd say seems fitting, but I think scrolls or perhaps pottery would be more appropriate than tomes for Cesca.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I think the only job I have ever liked was the summer I worked as a boy scout camp counselor in the mountains and taught rock climbing and took scouts on bike trip/camp outs and shit

one three month stint in 16 years of working

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    WELL.

my girlfriend just sent what is most likely the most surreal text message I have read to date.

"lol i stepped on a thyroid gland. they dropped it. like 3 people stepped on it. . ."

steam_sig.png
    Deebaser wrote: »

This is the internet

Pics or it didn't happen

Urgh. Can't be arsed.

so british
    I meant the book itself

Mim wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

I used to hide in the bathrooms and just sit on the toilet to get a breather from customers. However, I got pissed at managers after awhile because they'd be on my ass due to my age but the older women were allowed to do whatever they wanted, so I left.

managers were definitely p awful at times. 'store politics' are hugely annoying in big retail stores- everyone knows everyone's days off and people keep track of what area of the store is neatest and people throw each other under the bus, and so on. and yeah, the >50 years old employees often band together. it's kind of vicious.

but i was rarely in the position where i could just leave one of those jobs so it didn't matter too much i guess.

ALSO DEEBASER YOU DONT KNOW ME WHAT IF I THINK BOOKS ARENT REAL

IVE CERTAINLY NEVER SEEN ONE

WELL.

my girlfriend just sent what is most likely the most surreal text message I have read to date.

"lol i stepped on a thyroid gland. they dropped it. like 3 people stepped on it. . ."

So which hospital am I avoiding then

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @dasuberedward

sounds like best buy will be selling a 40" hd tv on black friday for $179 (40" Toshiba 40E220U 1080p LCD HDTV)

In-store? Or online?

I think in store

it's probably one of those things where each store has like 5 to get people in line

I mention it because DUE was thinking about getting a new TV a few days ago

@skippydumptruck

dear god . jpg

thank you for this information.

steam_sig.png
    I think the only job I have ever liked was the summer I worked as a boy scout camp counselor in the mountains and taught rock climbing and took scouts on bike trip/camp outs and shit

i liked teaching self-defense. i like my current job more than i did my previous 9-5s i think.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The UK is a very odd place and has a whole set of wage of organising or pay rules for agriculture that imperfectly fit with regular employment law. This can make things confusing for all and sundry

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Speaking of PhD movie, Piled Higher and Deeper made a movie which was surprisingly decent.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I like my current job most of the time. I've liked my bookstore jobs. I liked pushing a broom for my father. I didn't care for McDonalds very much but I didn't loathe it. I liked being a summer camp counselor.

Actually why the fuck did she want me to learn PERL anyway, programming and scripting is a different department, probably why my boss hasn't brought it to me because she's asking for the delivery boy to troubleshoot a fabrication machine

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I had some pretty sweet jobs lifeguarding in the summer. Making bullshit money, getting a tan, teaching babbies to be fishies.

Oh yeah, and the day camp we worked at had corporate parties on the weekend. We'd get $10 an hour to just make sure noone drowned and afterwards the indentured servants from Camp America would have a party wherein we finished off the kegs!

This discussion has been closed.