As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Organichu wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    i never really hated retail or food service. i mean, the people were annoying as fuck most days but i never really got angry or bitter about it. i just developed strategies to try and not be bothered by it. i definitely preferred that stuff to for-real hard labor where you'd get home and just want to take off your shoes (because your feet were swollen) and sleep immediately.

I used to hide in the bathrooms and just sit on the toilet to get a breather from customers. However, I got pissed at managers after awhile because they'd be on my ass due to my age but the older women were allowed to do whatever they wanted, so I left.

managers were definitely p awful at times. 'store politics' are hugely annoying in big retail stores- everyone knows everyone's days off and people keep track of what area of the store is neatest and people throw each other under the bus, and so on. and yeah, the >50 years old employees often band together. it's kind of vicious.

but i was rarely in the position where i could just leave one of those jobs so it didn't matter too much i guess.

I would've held on longer if my hear hadn't been falling out all over the store due to a hair dye incident. I didn't need to go bald on the job. And the one manager tracking me down all the time. I did work a lot on day I was supposed to have off.

Unfortunately, Walden's was right across from the store, so I'm pretty sure I helped them stay in business a little longer with my pay checks.

Mim on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Once I passed out from the heat while driving a lawnmower. They found me and it in a deep ditch, wheels still spinning. I woke up on the couch at my house with no idea how I got there.

That was actually a really amazing job despite the work being terrible. Life lessons all up ins.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Worked a day and a half at a firm that supplied chairs, tables and sundry other heavy things to events before getting sacked for, I believe, taking too long for a dump. Worked in a plastics factory for a while as well, making the stands for shop displays, heating big sheets of plastic and then driving a mould into them to create the shapes via a big machine.

Neither job was fun, but I'd take either over a retail position, I think.

Depends on the retail position. I've worked for three bookstore chains and they were pleasant places to work. Waldenbooks, then Borders and finally Half-Price Books.

Aye, I guess. I can think of a couple of stores I'd love to work in, but those are very specifically stores where I'd love to spend time and where I'd know the management would have my back.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Huh. So, John McAfee (as in, McAfee antivirus) is apparently a kind of weird guy. He lives in Belize where he hangs out with gangsters. He is currently wanted for murder.

Apparently AV guys are weird. The Norton guy has a pretty sweet house, it's one of the few houses in Martha's Vineyard that isn't the color of dead cedar or painted obnoxiously.

McAfee's project down there is apparently a big-ass lab working on refining "bath salts" to improve their psychoactive properties. Dude is nuts.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    i never really hated retail or food service. i mean, the people were annoying as fuck most days but i never really got angry or bitter about it. i just developed strategies to try and not be bothered by it. i definitely preferred that stuff to for-real hard labor where you'd get home and just want to take off your shoes (because your feet were swollen) and sleep immediately.

I used to hide in the bathrooms and just sit on the toilet to get a breather from customers. However, I got pissed at managers after awhile because they'd be on my ass due to my age but the older women were allowed to do whatever they wanted, so I left.

managers were definitely p awful at times. 'store politics' are hugely annoying in big retail stores- everyone knows everyone's days off and people keep track of what area of the store is neatest and people throw each other under the bus, and so on. and yeah, the >50 years old employees often band together. it's kind of vicious.

but i was rarely in the position where i could just leave one of those jobs so it didn't matter too much i guess.

Did you work commission? It doesn't make that stuff any better I'll say that much

fuck gendered marketing
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    ALSO DEEBASER YOU DONT KNOW ME WHAT IF I THINK BOOKS ARENT REAL

IVE CERTAINLY NEVER SEEN ONE

Scientists don't believe in books unless they are textbooks they themselves have written.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    WELL.

my girlfriend just sent what is most likely the most surreal text message I have read to date.

"lol i stepped on a thyroid gland. they dropped it. like 3 people stepped on it. . ."

So which hospital am I avoiding then

all of them.

to be safe.

steam_sig.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    Elldren wrote: »

Did you work commission? It doesn't make that stuff any better I'll say that much

naw. at one of my retail jobs (gamestop) i was strongly encouraged to make certain quotas. most of my other retail jobs (including my most recent retail job, a local fabric store) didn't care. i've never made commission.

Organichu on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

That was me when I worked for Sprint in a call center. *shudders*

It got to the point where I'm pretty sure I was getting depressed with the job. Worked there for 3 years. Passed over for promotions because I didn't kiss manager's asses. So then when my stats finally started to slip they would put me on step letters which I gave less then 2 fucks about. At one point they denied my request for use of a vacation day to go to my best friends wedding. Just called in sick, got another letter, which I tossed in the garbage at home. Finally when the wife and I decided to move here to Moncton we put in our notice but in the end just said screw it as we had enough saved up and quit in our last week. No call, no showed and got a call from our manager. Told them we quit and that was the end of it. Felt like about 100 lbs. of weight was lifted off my shoulders that day. Felt so good to quit that fucking job.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    oh my god quotas are the worst

I sold the shit out of things at Target, and actually loved running an electronics department, but got moved to shoes as punishment for not selling enough warranties on ipods

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh my god quotas are the worst

I sold the shit out of things at Target, and actually loved running an electronics department, but got moved to shoes as punishment for not selling enough warranties on ipods

haha

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    oh goddammit override I recognize your av now! That is from StarCrafts! I love that series!

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

seenbugs.jpg

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ronya wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

My employer is currently engaged in an upgrade of our core application.

For about two years myself and others have been telling anyone that is is worth saying it to that it is a mistake to pay millions of pounds for a monolithic system that does everything, when it would be far more efficient without losing any functionality to use various off-the-shelf systems for common tasks (document management, client contact records, automated letter generation, etc.) and keep the custom built stuff to a minimum. This also means that if the requirements change in a few years time (and they will) we stand half a chance of being able to upgrade without going through this whole incredibly expensive process all over again.

Guess what we're getting.

NOT INVENTED HERE

It does seem (after talking to the people that actually know the system) that it is basically a scriptable front end to a huge general purpose database, so it may be more flexible than the old system, but we'll see.

Certainly when they did the trial implementation they seemed to be able to make some pretty dramatic changes pretty quickly so I'm maybe being a little melodramatic. Still, it would be nice not to be basically running the business of a billion disconnected excel sheets intended to work around the deficiencies of the software and/or capture information that it was never designed for.

The other week we basically ground to a halt because one of the SANs that appears as a company wide network drive filled up, and IT's response was "That's for non-critical information, you just need to delete old files to make some room", and it rapidly emerged that firstly: IT do not appear to have told anyone at any point that this was solely for non-critical information, and secondly: because it wasn't clear who was responsible for what there was really no way to differentiate the critical from the non-critical anyway.

japan on
    edited November 2012
    oh goddammit override I recognize your av now! That is from StarCrafts! I love that series!

NONE SHALL STAND! *tracks zerg goop all the carpet*

override367 on
    I worked for a little non-profit doing light office work and canvasing.

Eventually I found out that about 80% of the office had been cheating and arbitrarily inflating their numbers since everyone was going to be cut back in the next month. (and I intended leaving anyway for school.)

Needless to say it became an awesome job.

steam_sig.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

naw. at one of my retail jobs (gamestop) i was strongly encouraged to make certain quotas. most of my other retail jobs (including my most recent retail job, a local fabric store) didn't care. i've never made commission.

It turns everything into a competition

everything

People wield seniority like a weapon, a weapon that cuts directly into your paycheck

fuck gendered marketing

NONE SHALL STAND! *tracks zerg goop all the carpet*
    My favorite episode so far is the hellion one.

I can't watch this and not laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxOm86GB9nQ

Addendum: Not because I started cheating but because I could do about half of the amount of work as I was previously striving for and still hit whenever performance goals that were expected since all of the augmented work would be filtered out when everything was said and done.

steam_sig.png
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »

Scientists don't believe in books unless they are textbooks they themselves have written.

That's probably why textbooks cost $394 for each edition. It's not that Calculus I has changed substantially in the past year, it's that there has never been a Calculus I book before in all of human history. The "23rd Edition" on the cover is an inside math joke.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

jelly of future you

edited November 2012
    I'm doing high end work at low end pay because I don't have a bachelors degree yet

However once i do the experience I'm getting here will get my foot in so many doors. I want to be a teacher though because I'm retarded

override367 on
    Deebaser wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »

That's probably why textbooks cost $394 for each edition. It's not that Calculus I has changed substantially in the past year, it's that there has never been a Calculus I book before in all of human history. The "23rd Edition" on the cover is an inside math joke.

Didn't you know that text books return to the ether from which they were evoked the moment you cease to think of them?

steam_sig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It turns everything into a competition

everything

People wield seniority like a weapon, a weapon that cuts directly into your paycheck

Working on commission here was interesting. Management did want to create a degree of competition and we were having none of that. There were a number of situations where we sat down and discussed deals that had been approached from two ends and negitated split commissions much to the annoyance of our boss.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    When I read this headline "Gen. John Allen tied to Jill Kelley, Petraeus affair scandal" I thought it initially said "Gen. John Allen tried to Kill Jelley Petraeus"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    i would love to spend at least a year or two in my life working at apple or google or microsoft except 1) i don't know if i am good enough to get one of those jobs, and 2) i feel like i might be one of the dumber people present, which would kinda suck in a way

but i also think it would be an awesome experience

in either case i just want to work somewhere that a) challenges me and makes me feel like i'm accomplishing something (not even necessarily 'something of social value'... just something that not everyone could do, something difficult and engaging) and b) where my coworkers and my immediate boss are not total dickfaces.

if i could accomplish that and make a middle class salary i think i would be very happy, and my career path seems to make that possible?

Organichu on
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    When I read this headline "Gen. John Allen tied to Jill Kelley, Petraeus affair scandal" I thought it initially said "Gen. John Allen tried to Kill Jelley Petraeus"

Jelley Petraeus is a man with many enemies.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

My employer is currently engaged in an upgrade of our core application.

For about two years myself and others have been telling anyone that is is worth saying it to that it is a mistake to pay millions of pounds for a monolithic system that does everything, when it would be far more efficient without losing any functionality to use various off-the-shelf systems for common tasks (document management, client contact records, automated letter generation, etc.) and keep the custom built stuff to a minimum. This also means that if the requirements change in a few years time (and they will) we stand half a chance of being able to upgrade without going through this whole incredibly expensive process all over again.

Guess what we're getting.

NOT INVENTED HERE

It does seem (after talking to the people that actually know the system) that it is basically a scriptable front end to a huge general purpose database, so it may be more flexible than the old system, but we'll see.

Certainly when they did the trial implementation they seemed to be able to make some pretty dramatic changes pretty quickly so I'm maybe being a little melodramatic. Still, it would be nice not to be basically running the business of a billion disconnected excel sheets intended to work around the deficiencies of the software and/or capture information that it was never designed for.

The other week we basically ground to a halt because one of the SANs that appears as a company wide network drive filled up, and IT's response was "That's for non-critical information, you just need to delete old files to make some room", and it rapidly emerged that firstly: IT do not appear to have told anyone at any point that this was solely for non-critical information, and secondly: because it wasn't clear who was responsible for what there was really no way to differentiate the critical from the non-critical anyway.

beware flaky front end scripting that actually does everything, particularly if the people developing the trial are not also going to maintain it

aRkpc.gif
    edited November 2012
    I'm terrified having responsibility because if I fuck up I could cause real tangible economic damage to lots of people

Fuck low end jobs and their fucking dehuminization. I got written up twice working at a fucking video store in one week and talked down to by a woman who never completed highschool like I was a fucking chimp and now I work on multimillion dollar groups of servers and the bosses have nothing but nice things to say

Working a shitty job is doubly shitty because they try to convince you that you really are shit for making petty as fuck mistakes

override367 on
    Just looked up the Day Camp I worked at as a youth.

They charge $4700 for 8 weeks OF DAY CAMP. Gottdayum

skippy dogg it's k, i love you

i'll hire you to write my biography one day?

working conditions will be great, you can have some imitation crab meat, there's nothing wrong with it we just bought too much

no touching, i'm not gay

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What I thought was going to be an awful day has actually been okay.

What I though was a simple problem has actually turned out to be pretty complex, but since I am the one who is solving it, I feel pretty secure again.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    i would love to spend at least a year or two in my life working at apple or google or microsoft except 1) i don't know if i am good enough to get one of those jobs, and 2) i feel like i might be one of the dumber people present, which would kinda suck in a way

but i also think it would be an awesome experience

in either case i just want to work somewhere that a) challenges me and makes me feel like i'm accomplishing something (not even necessarily 'something of social value'... just something that not everyone could do, something difficult and engaging) and b) where my coworkers and my immediate boss are not total dickfaces.

if i could accomplish that and make a middle class salary i think i would be very happy, and my career path seems to make that possible?

Once you graduate I think you could land a job at MS. And if you aren't sure where you want to go do a contract or two.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    damn it the part of a game theory problem which is falsifiable is the payoff table, not the solution concept

aRkpc.gif
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well I didn't meet the minimum qualifications for one of the jobs I applied to this weekend, somehow five years of college and graduate school mean I have no idea how to word process.

With my English degree.

And my writing degree.

I would be at a loss.

With a word processor.

:rotate:

The upshot of that is I don't have to go over to the coast and take a typing test so whatevs.

Still waiting on the other two and looking for moar.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited November 2012
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    AMFE: A government job I applied for recently told me I didn't have enough education to fix computers.

You see, I needed a Phd.

For a job

that was a grade lower than what I currently hold.

:rotate:

This discussion has been closed.