As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [Chat]

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The cost and hassle of upgrading a system that has been in place for years is often more bother than anyone can be arsed with. In the long run it's a mistake, but it's hard to convince people it needs to be done.

My employer is currently engaged in an upgrade of our core application.

For about two years myself and others have been telling anyone that is is worth saying it to that it is a mistake to pay millions of pounds for a monolithic system that does everything, when it would be far more efficient without losing any functionality to use various off-the-shelf systems for common tasks (document management, client contact records, automated letter generation, etc.) and keep the custom built stuff to a minimum. This also means that if the requirements change in a few years time (and they will) we stand half a chance of being able to upgrade without going through this whole incredibly expensive process all over again.

Guess what we're getting.

NOT INVENTED HERE

It does seem (after talking to the people that actually know the system) that it is basically a scriptable front end to a huge general purpose database, so it may be more flexible than the old system, but we'll see.

Certainly when they did the trial implementation they seemed to be able to make some pretty dramatic changes pretty quickly so I'm maybe being a little melodramatic. Still, it would be nice not to be basically running the business of a billion disconnected excel sheets intended to work around the deficiencies of the software and/or capture information that it was never designed for.

The other week we basically ground to a halt because one of the SANs that appears as a company wide network drive filled up, and IT's response was "That's for non-critical information, you just need to delete old files to make some room", and it rapidly emerged that firstly: IT do not appear to have told anyone at any point that this was solely for non-critical information, and secondly: because it wasn't clear who was responsible for what there was really no way to differentiate the critical from the non-critical anyway.

beware flaky front end scripting that actually does everything, particularly if the people developing the trial are not also going to maintain it

Models are supposed to be skinny duh!

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Well I didn't meet the minimum qualifications for one of the jobs I applied to this weekend, somehow five years of college and graduate school mean I have no idea how to word process.

With my English degree.

And my writing degree.

I would be at a loss.

With a word processor.

:rotate:

The upshot of that is I don't have to go over to the coast and take a typing test so whatevs.

Still waiting on the other two and looking for moar.

My manager at wal-mart in 2009 had an english degree, and that seems like a great job. As I understand it you end up clearing nearly 75% of minimum wage as a salaried retail manager

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    AMFE I guess you should have gotten a computer science degree if you wanted to be a writer then, HUH??!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

I will hire you to work on the sequel to my game. the pay will be good but you're required to show up at PAX cosplaying as characters I've written.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    What the fuck are they thinking that you need a Ph.D to fix computers?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Wot I'm listening to right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmN4hR0tHo

I don’t see how you can hate from outside of the club

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    If I made 6000 more dollars I would be happy.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I have an associates degree in computer fixing and my inbox is full of job offers for meager wages to fix computers

Edit: one of them last week actually said "Education: AAS or equivilent experience; Maximum education: Bachelors or equivalent experience"

I'd never seen a maximum education before

override367 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

who knows

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    When I was a senior in college I went to career fair and went to the Microsoft desk. I asked what kind of things Microsoft did, jokingly pretending that I had never heard of Microsoft before. The guy glared at me with the anger of a thousand suns, and told me that I must be very ignorant that I had managed to go my entire life without hearing about Microsoft. Then he explained that Microsoft made Windows, not that I'd know what that is because I'm obviously not a computer person.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

A PhD would probably be to your detriment.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Qualification inflation.

If the employer knows they're going to get several hundred applications they'll make the requirements absurd just to whittle them down a bit.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I want a PhD from NYU for comparative French literature.

I do not speak French.

• Options
    A PHD for fixing computers is basically saying you don't want to fill the position because you can't even get a four year degree in fixing computers outside of places like DeVry

• Options
    I love when people claim that the Libertarian Party is the fastest growing party.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
  • Options
    When I was a senior in college I went to career fair and went to the Microsoft desk. I asked what kind of things Microsoft did, jokingly pretending that I had never heard of Microsoft before. The guy glared at me with the anger of a thousand suns, and told me that I must be very ignorant that I had managed to go my entire life without hearing about Microsoft. Then he explained that Microsoft made Windows, not that I'd know what that is because I'm obviously not a computer person.

This is my approach with doorstep evangelisers.

"Isn't it pronounced 'Hay-Zoos'?"

• Options
    hay zoos day la cruise

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i'd never even really touched computer hardware before and now i have a job where i change the configs of various donated computers (by stripping and installing RAM, hard drives, optical drives, etc and then by imaging new OS's) for hours a day. the pay is minimum wage.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    He might even run for President in 2016. Though he was born in Canada, he informed me that he was qualified to serve. “The Constitution requires that one be a natural-born citizen,” he said, “and my mother was a U.S. citizen when I was born.”

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I love when people claim that the Libertarian Party is the fastest growing party.

the RiemannLives for supreme overlord for life party has grown an amazing 100% in the last 5 minutes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Qualification inflation.

If the employer knows they're going to get several hundred applications they'll make the requirements absurd just to whittle them down a bit.

It is a sin

I curse all those who do such. May their sons never call on weekends and their daughters never love them. *spits*

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    A PHD for fixing computers is basically saying you don't want to fill the position because you can't even get a four year degree in fixing computers outside of places like DeVry

Standard government trick. The HR Dept for the job knows who they want/have been told to hire. They basically give the applicant the inside scoop on how to apply. They certify the ringer and 9 others, interview them all, DQ the rest on bullshit requirements, and it all looks legal.

• Options

You should start a political party, convince three friends to join it, then immediately issue a press release to the effect that in the days following the election your membersip has quadrupled.

• Options

the RiemannLives for supreme overlord for life party has grown an amazing 100% in the last 5 minutes.

200%

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

I will hire you to work on the sequel to my game. the pay will be good but you're required to show up at PAX cosplaying as characters I've written.

one-eyed pirate, one-eyed ninja, one-eyed vampire...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

you make windows? oh sorry, i'm not interested in a glass company

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Well I didn't meet the minimum qualifications for one of the jobs I applied to this weekend, somehow five years of college and graduate school mean I have no idea how to word process.

With my English degree.

And my writing degree.

I would be at a loss.

With a word processor.

The upshot of that is I don't have to go over to the coast and take a typing test so whatevs.

Look man writing words is not the same as processing them.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

It's like when people say Klingon is the fastest growing language.

They're dumbasses, you see.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    spool32 wrote: »

With my English degree.

And my writing degree.

I would be at a loss.

With a word processor.

Look man writing words is not the same as processing them.

To be fair, if that post is any indication, AMFE doesn't know that you never begin sentences with "and" or that periods are not for pauses.

I certainly wouldn't hire him.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    He might even run for President in 2016. Though he was born in Canada, he informed me that he was qualified to serve. “The Constitution requires that one be a natural-born citizen,” he said, “and my mother was a U.S. citizen when I was born.”

Well duh

what is that from?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Libertarians ARE the fastest growing party. Doritos and Mt. Dew see to that

• Options

i went to a transfer fair at my community college last week and devry was represented. i was kind of bored so i went and talked to the guy. i basically pretended i didn't know devry's reputation and explained that i wanted a CS program with lots of programming and math and i was also considering a math double major.

to my surprise he actually went "you'd be better off looking at one of the more academically focused institutions if you have any theoretical interest or wish to learn about math. we're more of a vocational school for people trying to get any tech-related employment shortly after graduation"

i don't know if the numbers he cited for placement were accurate but he did at least try to not sell me a total line of shit haha. i was surprised and mildly pleased.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    There's this piano/8bit/amazingly voiced cover of Video Games done by Amanda Palmer but I feel like it appeals to literally no one other than me

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    i turn 25 tomorrow

• Options
    i thought you were older than me chu

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Bieber presidential fever?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    i turn 25 tomorrow

damn you're old

• Options
    1326435255.gif

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i thought you were older than me chu

meh. i dropped out of college when my mom died 6 years ago, so i guess i might seem like i've been 'in the work force' for a while. but really it's just because i didn't finish school.

maybe i sound older because i've eaten so many buttholes.

This discussion has been closed.