As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    There's this piano/8bit/amazingly voiced cover of Video Games done by Amanda Palmer but I feel like it appeals to literally no one other than me

AND ME

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

l

o

l

919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    When I was a senior in college I went to career fair and went to the Microsoft desk. I asked what kind of things Microsoft did, jokingly pretending that I had never heard of Microsoft before. The guy glared at me with the anger of a thousand suns, and told me that I must be very ignorant that I had managed to go my entire life without hearing about Microsoft. Then he explained that Microsoft made Windows, not that I'd know what that is because I'm obviously not a computer person.

Microsoft is a pretty opaque company. Knowing they make Windows and Office doesn't tell me anything about the kind of work that is done there. I think it's a fair question.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Arch wrote: »
    There's this piano/8bit/amazingly voiced cover of Video Games done by Amanda Palmer but I feel like it appeals to literally no one other than me

AND ME

http://hypem.com/track/1pqte/Amanda+Palmer+&+the+Grand+Theft+Orchestra+-+Video+Games+ft.+Dot.AY+(Lana+del+Rey+Cover)

This version isn't on youtube which breaks me wee gengar heart

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i thought you were older than me chu

meh. i dropped out of college when my mom died 6 years ago, so i guess i might seem like i've been 'in the work force' for a while. but really it's just because i didn't finish school.

maybe i sound older because i've eaten so many buttholes.

probably

it's only by a few months though

Arch wrote: »

AND MY THORAX

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    When I was a senior in college I went to career fair and went to the Microsoft desk. I asked what kind of things Microsoft did, jokingly pretending that I had never heard of Microsoft before. The guy glared at me with the anger of a thousand suns, and told me that I must be very ignorant that I had managed to go my entire life without hearing about Microsoft. Then he explained that Microsoft made Windows, not that I'd know what that is because I'm obviously not a computer person.

Microsoft is a pretty opaque company. Knowing they make Windows and Office doesn't tell me anything about the kind of work that is done there. I think it's a fair question.

Plenty of people work in offices with windows.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Gooey wrote: »

l

o

l

get this man a grammy

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I turn 30 in January. I'm pretty much just going ahead and digging my grave and stuff. Because why bother?

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Libertarians ARE the fastest growing party. Doritos and Mt. Dew see to that

How can you leave out the patriotic hot pockets?

Libertarians ARE the fastest growing party. Doritos and Mt. Dew see to that

How can you leave out the patriotic hot pockets?

"Swagrid Remix"

tumblr_lxbb5mks6T1r7ms4po1_500.jpg

Sc6wR.jpg

@Mim is awful at Sim City

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    WELL.

my girlfriend just sent what is most likely the most surreal text message I have read to date.

"lol i stepped on a thyroid gland. they dropped it. like 3 people stepped on it. . ."

So which hospital am I avoiding then

all of them.

to be safe.

Hospitals have a large incidence of people dying, higher than the national average.

Just saying, probably not a coincidence.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    comic.php?date=09262002

I was all alone that night

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I used to have a friend who when he had a stomach ache refused pepto bismo because doctors and medicine only exist to make you sicker

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

That's always been the kind of job I want to, based on what I gather from my dad's career.

One where your colleagues are cool, the boss bitch-aboutable but not too bad, interesting work, good pay, and not awful hours.

ftOqU21.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sc6wR.jpg

@Mim is awful at Sim City

Haha, I'd love to be one of Mim's Dorfs.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

each division, group and even individual team has a lot of freedom in how they want to run things. so there is a lot of variance in what day-to-day life working for Microsoft would be like. At the level of individual contributors there is a suprisingly small amount of corporate level overhead. There's a couple 1-day training type things I have to do once a year but that's it as far as overhead from MS as a whole.

Now if a group manager so desired I am sure they could run their balliwick as a nightmare of kafkaesq paperwork and misery. And in a company this big I am sure that is happening somewhere. But the places I have worked at as a contractor and now full time have been pretty reasonable.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'll be 24 soon, well four months from now or so.

Lh96QHG.png
    I was wondering why my computer was running like shit last night. Reboot this morning

*Installing 23 of 68 updates*

Incoming FUCK ACHEWOOD posts. You haters.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    You're already in my FF6 game, @21stCentury

AND YOU'RE GOING TO DIE @Sarksus

I ended up generating like 3 new DF worlds last night. Didn't end up with a starting point I liked. Kept getting either boring places or places with no damn iron.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    i feel like most of my friends who do what i want to do enjoy their jobs- some of them hate corporate culture (if that's where they work), or incompetent coworkers or whatever. but they almost all enjoy high pay, rarely are asked to work insane hours (if ever), don't have to do physically trying labor, and they're often intellectually challenged by their work. and the ones who went with startups or high end firms often have very smart employees they enjoy.

i am p sure i will like my career, even if it takes me a move or two to end up somewhere with non-shitty coworkers.

That's always been the kind of job I want to, based on what I gather from my dad's career.

One where your colleagues are cool, the boss bitch-aboutable but not too bad, interesting work, good pay, and not awful hours.

...Why would someone want a job without any of these qualifications?

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I would hire only PhDs and double PhDs for a special department of the "fix computers" bit of the company.

I would get a new machine and give it to them and say here fix this

but it's not broken

do you mean you can't make it better?

ftOqU21.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @sarksus i'm trolling her hard

she mad bro

SHE REAL MAD CUZ I'M STYLIN ON HER

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Maybe, but i'm not a dorf in that.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I used to have a friend who when he had a stomach ache refused pepto bismo because doctors and medicine only exist to make you sicker

by "used to" do you mean he bled to death via stomach ulcers or you just dont hang out with him anymore

919UOwT.png
    i wanna be dorfed

like lately I have been in meetings like 30 hours a week but they are driven by the needs of the particular project I am working on (planning etc...) not just "everyone has to attend pointless meeting X" type things.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I don't hate achewood, but I gotta admit I rarely understand it. There's either tons of context I'm missing having never actually sat down and read it, or it's very surreal. I suspect it's a little of both, to be honest.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The library I work at wants to hire someone with a MLS and preferred three years of academic library experience to edit the library blog.

It would be a ten hour a week position.

Meanwhile I work 20 hours and just sit at a desk making sure no one steals our books and that the student workers don't take a shit on the printers.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

It's not a direct quote. It was a throwaway comment a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly what I said. I just basically pretended not to know what Microsoft was, and the guy got hilariously angry at me.

I don't hate achewood, but I gotta admit I rarely understand it. There's either tons of context I'm missing having never actually sat down and read it, or it's very surreal. I suspect it's a little of both, to be honest.

Yeah sometimes it is a bit much, but it is all worth it when you get strips like this: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05112007

@sarksus i'm trolling her hard

she mad bro

SHE REAL MAD CUZ I'M STYLIN ON HER

Show me ya moves

Mim wrote: »

Maybe, but i'm not a dorf in that.

If there are prostitutes in Dwarf Fortress, I'd make everyone in [chat] a prostitute.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

by "used to" do you mean he bled to death via stomach ulcers or you just dont hang out with him anymore

I saw him on steam so presumably it hasn't killed him yet

each division, group and even individual team has a lot of freedom in how they want to run things. so there is a lot of variance in what day-to-day life working for Microsoft would be like. At the level of individual contributors there is a suprisingly small amount of corporate level overhead. There's a couple 1-day training type things I have to do once a year but that's it as far as overhead from MS as a whole.

Now if a group manager so desired I am sure they could run their balliwick as a nightmare of kafkaesq paperwork and misery. And in a company this big I am sure that is happening somewhere. But the places I have worked at as a contractor and now full time have been pretty reasonable.

Yeah I figured that Microsoft is so large and has so many projects that the work must vary pretty enormously. The XNA team and the Windows team is probably pretty different for example

I'm only losing money because I'm running everything at top notch and I now have the cheat to get the monies!

This discussion has been closed.