As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This [Chat]

1909192939496»

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    really enjoying the reactions people are having to the borderlands patch

?

they nerfed the bee

if you're not familiar with BL2, there was an item that was overwhelmingly overpowered due to a slight oversight. Now it's only really powerful instead of killing-the-biggest-thing-in-5s-powerful.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arch wrote: »
    I wonder what it is that makes a person predisposed to conspiracy theories

I know a few guys who literally buy any conspiracy theory they hear- 9/11, voter fraud, Obama planning government takeover, antenioplaston therapy- basically if you can frame it as some lone wolf maverck guy with THE TRUTH going against some big entity, they eat it up

I wonder why that is

or did I just answer my own question

someone give me things to read about psychology of conspiracy theorists @Ferallllllllllllll

Religion and conspiracy operate on similar if not identical vectors.

I was about to post something similar.

And there are genes that influence religiousness.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    What's a good way for someone to get into Dwarf Fortress? And what's a good way to make me not want to gouge out my eyeballs trying to decipher ASCII?
    There's lots of tile sets. Most of them are godawful though and just muddy the waters further than ASCII.

The wiki is a good place to start for some basic guides too.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Dorf News

@Eddy was taken by a strange mood and @Sarksus gave birth to a baby boy: bowen

Also, wow, managing 44 dorfs is overwhelming when there are so many skills to check... Blergh!

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I know I am in the minority here but I like the pseudo-ASCII in dorf fortress better than the tile packs. After I got used to it, the ASCII just plugs right into the part of my brain that processes reading a book.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Diseases are cool (when you don't have them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_bovis#New_Zealand
    That possums are such effective transmitters of TB appears to be facilitated by their behaviour once they succumb to the disease. Terminally ill TB possums will show increasingly erratic behaviour, such as venturing out during the daytime to get enough food to eat, and seeking out buildings in which to keep warm. As a consequence, they may wander on to paddocks, where they naturally attract the attention of inquisitive cattle and deer

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    What's a good way for someone to get into Dwarf Fortress? And what's a good way to make me not want to gouge out my eyeballs trying to decipher ASCII?

Lazy Newb Pack and watching tutorials by a guy named 51ppycup on YouTube. He has a new set of tutorials too!

Thanks! Those graphics also look awesome in a ZX Spectrum retro style.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @arch

I had a thing on the psych of conspiracy theorists but my brain is kind of fuzzy at the moment.

I really need to set up a citation aggregator or something so I can keep all of these sources and articles and stuff in a single place.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    @spacekungfuman

can you get me a solid silver shoe horn for my birthday tomorrow

be a pal

actually

i just realized i'm a werewolf and this wouldn't work out

or a vampire

i'm not sure

btu don't get me a silver shoe horn

Organichu on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    arch

I had a thing on the psych of conspiracy theorists but my brain is kind of fuzzy at the moment.

I really need to set up a citation aggregator or something so I can keep all of these sources and articles and stuff in a single place.

God I know

Forgot you were sick! Sorry!

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wtf I'm a girl and I am the mother of @Bowen?

21st your fort is weird

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    SanderJK wrote: »

LazyNewbPack + a tutorial of the dorf wiki.

Alternatively, try out Towns which is much like DF but not quite as hardcore. Or if you want a rogue-y experience, try Don't Starve (You're just one dude there though).

I got this on Steam.

Lots of fun. I've had some bullshit deaths though.

I know I am in the minority here but I like the pseudo-ASCII in dorf fortress better than the tile packs. After I got used to it, the ASCII just plugs right into the part of my brain that processes reading a book.

It's because you're a programmer. You're weird. <3

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I was going to spend the whole day catching up on work but so far I've slept 4 hours late and then watched 3 episodes of Law and Order SVU

ughhhh I have zero ability to motivate myself anymore

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My company has an office in Alabama.

I try really hard not to generalize my interactions with them to all Alabamans, but it takes a lot of effort on my part.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

I like it too. I might use a pack next time I play because it is hard to see sometimes, and also why not new experiences are awesome, but I really like the way the ASCII looks.

y2jake215 wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I was going to spend the whole day catching up on work but so far I've slept 4 hours late and then watched 3 episodes of Law and Order SVU

ughhhh I have zero ability to motivate myself anymore

Law and Order SVU will do that to anybody.

Feral wrote: »
    My company has an office in Alabama.

I try really hard not to generalize my interactions with them to all Alabamans, but it takes a lot of effort on my part.

There is a big old list of places "DoctorArch is not allowed to look for work in." Alabama is on that list.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

21st your fort is weird

... Mother?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Alternatively, try out Towns which is much like DF but not quite as hardcore. Or if you want a rogue-y experience, try Don't Starve (You're just one dude there though).

Is Towns fun?

I already bought Don't Starve (quite like it so far), but I need to buy more things to teach my wife not to leave me alone for long periods of time.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Shivahn wrote: »

I like it too. I might use a pack next time I play because it is hard to see sometimes, and also why not new experiences are awesome, but I really like the way the ASCII looks.

I have a friend with cousins that are Alabaman.

She is Korean. She says it's hilarious to go to family functions and see a bunch of Koreans with super thick southern accents.

edited November 2012

21st your fort is weird

unless you are using Dwarf Therapist it is not at all obvious what gender a given dorf is unless you go digging through menus.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    bowen wrote: »

21st your fort is weird

... Mother?

Is the next [chat] incest [chat]?

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Diseases are cool (when you don't have them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_bovis#New_Zealand
    That possums are such effective transmitters of TB appears to be facilitated by their behaviour once they succumb to the disease. Terminally ill TB possums will show increasingly erratic behaviour, such as venturing out during the daytime to get enough food to eat, and seeking out buildings in which to keep warm. As a consequence, they may wander on to paddocks, where they naturally attract the attention of inquisitive cattle and deer

I feel you are othering infected possums just because they are Australians, and infected

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Boo to ebay snipers.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Wtf I'm a girl and I am the mother of Bowen?

21st your fort is weird

Sounds like real life.

Well this is awkward.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Mortious wrote: »

Is Towns fun?

I already bought Don't Starve (quite like it so far), but I need to buy more things to teach my wife not to leave me alone for long periods of time.

You like it until you've survived for two weeks and barely make it back to camp, but are low on wood so you chop a tree down and then the tree next to you stands up and punches you to death because you can't run away because it's night.

That was my first experience with an ent.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    A lot of my friends in south carolina growing up were of asian descent

a southern drawl on spoken chinese or korean is really, really interesting

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    And now

Concerto for Saxophone Quartet and Orchestra by Philip Glass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hqXkrjlTtk

Arch wrote: »
    A lot of my friends in south carolina growing up were of asian descent

a southern drawl on spoken chinese or korean is really, really interesting

... that is the strangest thing to auditorialize.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    So...in Adventure Time comics there is a puppy princess?

AND WHO MADE THE PUPPY PRINCESS SAD?!?!

Mimek.jpg

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    @spacekungfuman

can you get me a solid silver shoe horn for my birthday tomorrow

be a pal

actually

i just realized i'm a werewolf and this wouldn't work out

or a vampire

i'm not sure

btu don't get me a silver shoe horn

I know you're a poor because you think silver won't bend when you try to use it to shove your massive farmer feet into that (admittedly well-made) pair of steel-toe Timberlands you spent a month's pay on.

Dorf News

@Eddy was taken by a strange mood and @Sarksus gave birth to a baby boy: bowen

Also, wow, managing 44 dorfs is overwhelming when there are so many skills to check... Blergh!

look into the utility called Dwarf Therapist. I had to do a bit of digging through forum threads to find the right version but once it works it's pretty neat.

It shows all your dorfs in a spreadsheet like format and you can see and edit their labor assignments all at once.

Whether you use that utility or not, I would strongly recomend you come up with a few (at most 3) standard job templates that you can just apply to nearly all incoming dwarves. This entails:

1) Assign every dwarf a nickname with their general role that you want them to have
    2) Come up with a couple standard dwarf roles (sets of jobs). For example, most of my dwarfs end up as either a Drone (Mason, Engraving, Mechanics, all the Hauling, Architecture, Wood Burning, Furnace Operating) or a Farmhand (all the Farming jobs except Wood Burning + Fish Cleaning) or a Soldier (same as Drone but I know to draft these ones when the time comes).

The reason for these particular jobs is that it lets your unwashed masses help out with smoothing and building structures and smelting. It does require that you put a minimum skill on the Mechanics and Mason workshops in the Manager menu.

3) Every time a dwarf shows up give it the nickname and jobs for one of the standard roles. Only exceptions would be migrants who have very high (at least Skilled) skills in something useful. They get a custom set of jobs.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @japan gets the new chat

@Arch is backup

rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.