As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Quiet Year] Spring Has Arrived

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Yep, you draw a representation of the lack of that resource. A scarcity of wild game might be an animal skull, as an example. Maybe a broken weapon to represent a lack of armaments? It's up to you!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Well, you could draw, perhaps, a very lean looking animal, or, I don't know, a gun magazine that is mostly empty, or something.

I am stuck at work so I won't be able to draw for a while myself.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Is is too late to get in on this? It looks really interesting.

Up to Simon on that front, as it is his shindig, after all.

While I am at work, I can't draw. But, I am going to claim a drawing that I will make when I get home, so, no one else can get it.

I am going to draw our primary wild game (still deciding what that should be but I am tempted to pick the majestic beaver) a good distance down The River from our settlement. This represents that we have to travel far from the village in order to find enough game to hunt due to its scarcity.

For the record, when I added The River, in my head it is not the only river in the area, just the largest and most important one. Also, what I drew on the map is not the full extent of The River, there are tributaries and whatnot that branch off. I just felt like adding all that to the map would be unnecessary clutter. I am just mentioning this to see if we are all on the same mental page, so to speak.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    jakobagger wrote: »

Four player max, unfortunately! I'll add you to my interest list, though, so if I start another one and/or someone drops out, you'll be notified.

Also, Winky - if you want to switch your resource over to fish, that's cool with me (and I assume everyone else). It'll be a scarcity, but I realised that you said you'd want to choose fish if they weren't covered by wild game.

simonwolf on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Four player max, unfortunately! I'll add you to my interest list, though, so if I start another one and/or someone drops out, you'll be notified.

Also, Winky - if you want to switch your resource over to fish, that's cool with me (and I assume everyone else). It'll be a scarcity, but I realised that you said you'd want to choose fish if they weren't covered by wild game.

I will stick with manpower. We, for whatever reason, just do not have the capacity to fish currently.

Awesome! Once we have the map with all your scarcities, we can start the game "for realsies". I'll make a random turn order and draw the first card, oh boy, what fun

map2.jpg

They're supposed to tomb-stones, to represent the manpower we lost in the fighting.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

(...)

Fair enough. I'll be watching you guys!

mapskull.jpg

Dat's a skull animal head thingy. (I am the best artist!)

Come oooon Abd!

I wanna see what the next stage of the game is like!
    Nah it's all good. We got some serious different time zones going on so I shall have to be a patient boy.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Good morning!

you're going to have to be patient a little longer.

ftOqU21.png
    qsthf6.jpg

We are lacking sufficient armaments at home. There may be places to find some elsewhere, however.

ftOqU21.png
    With that, we begin the next stage of the game - the beginning of the year, Spring.

The randomised turn order is...

simonwolf
    Inquisitor
    Abdhyius
    Winky

So I'm going first! I will draw my card and do the first week, then.

Oh suuuure you just happened to be randomed to go first. :P

Choose wisely, dear Simon, the fate of our people decides on it.

The Quiet Year begins.
    First Week of Spring

10 of Hearts
    There’s another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?
    -or-
    What belief or practice helps to unify your community?

I'll go with the first option.

In the woods near the base of the elder mountains, the Forest Children make their home. They are a primal, savage group of people, living entirely off the land; they do not live as we do, in shelter from the elements. They have rejected the strands of civilisation we have held onto.

As for my action, I will Discover Something New. When on a fruitless attempt to scout out the empty hunting grounds for game, one of the hunters spots something on the other shore - footprints, almost ursine, but far larger than anything he'd seen before.

And that's my turn.

Updated map:
    coPoC.jpg

Abundances: warmth
    Scarcities: armaments, wild game, manpower
    Current Projects: None

With that, it is Inquisitor's turn.

edited November 2012
    Second Week of Spring

2 of Hearts
    There’s a large body of water on the map. Where is it? What does it look like?
    -or-
    There’s a giant, man-made structure on the map. Where is it? Why is it abandoned?

simonwolf on
    (if you take option 1, if you draw the shape of it, I can do the map-splicing I did to draw it in the same style as the rest of the map. It's fun!)

ftOqU21.png
    Oh, right, I should probably say this before we get really started:

Aside from a few specific circumstances, you shouldn't post on other people's turns. The exceptions are:
    • If a project you started has ended through normal counting down, the other player's turn pauses before they take their action so you can describe the results and edit the map.
    • If a player decides to Hold A Discussion, you get to speak your sentence or two.
    • If you decide to take a token of Contempt because of another player's actions, post as such and it'll get marked down in the records.

There'll probably be some other exceptions outside this list, but for the most part, that's that! I think we'll be able to get over the early-game jitters pretty quickly.

If you need a guideline on how much detail you should be throwing out there for your card decisions or Discoveries or Projects, go by a rough "three sentences is plenty" rule!

Jutting out into the sea along the coast lies the ruins of Fort Frontenac. When The Fall came, the military dogs hid behind their walls; they thought they were safe. They were wrong. All that remains is the stench of death. Some speak of military secrets beneath the base, others, of long forgotten booby traps and vengeful spirits.

As for my action, I would like to Hold a Discussion. But I am not entirely sure how that works, so, could you help walk me through that Simon?

Updated Map:

MapFort.jpg

Current Projects: None

No problem, Inq!

All you have to do is frame a question, or make a statement. Each of us will then give a response of one or two sentences. If you asked a question, you get to give your own response to it after everyone else has had their say.

This information is all in that PM I sent you guys, so give that a read-through soonish, if you please!

edited November 2012
    I read it when I got it, I just forgot that I had it to refresh my memory. Herp derp. I was madly skimming the OP earlier.

Anyway.

Topic of Discussion:

Fort Frontenac is perhaps the answer to several of our woes, or perhaps the source of many more. What shall we do in regards to it?

Inquisitor on
    Beetween the feral forest children, the jackals, the looming threat of a mass migration coming with the next winter, and the very worrying recent reports from the hunters, it would be a lie to say we are safe.

Perhaps we are too low on men to risk an expedition to Frontenac, but without armaments, it does not matter how many men we have.

I say we mount an expedition to Fort Frontenac.

ftOqU21.png
    (remember, Abdy, a sentence or two at most, with twitter limits as your guideline - don't worry about editing anything, but for future reference)

An expedition to that cursed place would only bring further despair. We should focus our limited resources elsewhere.

It's unsafe. When we have more manpower maybe we can risk it.

We should send a priest to perform sacred rites at that blasted place, but the citizenry should stay away.

(I am at work, so, I can't really edit the image, but, if someone, any of you, could mark the Fort with a small red dot I would be much obliged).

edited November 2012
    With that, Inq's turn is done. Abdhyius is next.

Third Week of Spring

King of Hearts
    A young boy starts digging in the ground, and discovers something unexpected. What is it?
    -or-
    An old man confesses to past crimes and atrocities. What has he done?

simonwolf on
    One of the boys was out foraging along the river, and found a half-buried stack of corpses, freshly dug and mauled by something huge.

Our community immediately takes action - hunting parties are sent out to fell this beast.

(two weeks?)

ftOqU21.png
    edited November 2012
    Two weeks sounds fine to me.

(the rules say we should have everyone weigh in on project lengths, but what did you guys think - would it be easier and/or faster if we set some kind of "if X time has passed and X people have weighed in, current player should end turn" thread rule?)

simonwolf on
    I agree with two weeks.

(I don't mind that idea for project lengths either, since we happen to live on opposite ends of the Earth and responding to every project might be difficult :P)

Two weeks is fine.

9rlk5l.jpg
    skullz

ftOqU21.png
    Current Projects: Hunting the Beast (2 weeks)

Winky is up next.

Fourth Week of Spring

Three of Hearts
    Someone new arrives. Who?
    -or-
    Two of the community’s younger members get into a fight. What provoked them?

A member of the Forest Children wanders into our village. We're rough with him at first, capturing him and demanding to know why he's here and what he wants. We are softer when we realize he is starving and weak. We're able to glean from him that the Forest Children took heavy losses during last winter's unusually strong frost, with no shelter or warmth to protect themselves. Many of them died, and many more were scattered and lost, as he was. The Forest Children have always been savage and hostile in the past, but now that they're weakened they may be much more pliable.

I want to hold a discussion:

I propose we send an envoy to offer warmth and shelter here in our village to the struggling Forest Children in return for their manpower and knowledge of wild game.

I concur. Let us add the forest to our demesnes. Their mastery of it will be most useful.

ftOqU21.png
    The children of the forest are base and vulgar savages that worship false gods. Their weakness is an opportunity to finally be rid of them.

edited November 2012
    We are weak enough without attempting a raid in unknown territory. This could all be another Forest Children trick to lure us out of safety.

(since you opened with a statement, Winky, you don't speak again, so that ends the discussion.)

simonwolf on
    map3.jpg

Weekend keeping me busy, for once!

Update coming later today.

edited November 2012
    Fifth Week of Spring

Jack of Hearts
    You see a good omen. What is it?
    -or-
    You see a bad omen. What is it?

One of our goats gave birth, but the offspring came out wrong - twisted, multi-headed, with its flesh turned inside-out and blacked. It was burned quickly, but the Speakers warn that this is surely an omen of corruption and evil to come to our community.

The hunting project has been completed - Abdhyius, please tell us the outcome of that.

I've also changed the map slightly, moving the red discussion dots to the side of the place they related to. I think it's slightly cleaner than potentially having multiple dots on one thing.
    cLAPx.jpg

(I've added some rough guidelines for size of words in the OP - nothing new, just cementing what has already been said in various places)

simonwolf on