As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Yup.

Also, for people who are annoyed by the stack size change, it was mentioned on the forum that there will be some new storage solutions in the future, so I'd say expect backpacks or something eventually.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Is there a way to reset my research progress? I'm feeling a mini-LP coming on.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Hmm. Is there a way to reset my research progress? I'm feeling a mini-LP coming on.

I think Make new world does that, or new game. other then that you could locate where the save data is stored and delete it.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I would say "Delete the saves and start over" But I don't actually know where those are kept.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options

Right now you just have to delete your save from the steam folder, but they're going to be adding profile management in the next patch.

• Options
    I would personally say wait until it's out of beta to do an LP though. So it's got all the features, and they don't add more and more as you're DOING the LP.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Any word on long term development prospects? Are they going to keep patching it after launch?

• Options
    If anyone figures out an effective method for catching and killing the Gobblers, let me know! I tried chasing one to the edge of the island, but they're big enough that they don't get stuck like rabbits. I also lured one with a carrot, but they things on the ground waaay quicker than rabbits, so its not long enough to thwap them.
    Zek wrote: »
    Any word on long term development prospects? Are they going to keep patching it after launch?

I don't know if there's any official decree, but given with how open they are being with the community right now, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Options
    Hmmm. I think it's time to start changing my priorities. A science machine was always the second thing I made, but now I don't really need it that much.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Hmmm. I think it's time to start changing my priorities. A science machine was always the second thing I made, but now I don't really need it that much.

2nd day is always a Fire Pit + Science Machine for me so far.

My current game has my fire pit directly in the center of 5 rabbit holes. Its magical, and so long as I don't get killed by a Treeguard, I should be good for a while.

And I had tried to stab him last time, but I'd always get hit, and I didn't have the log armor yet. But I finally got it researched, so I should be good this time.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »

My current game has my fire pit directly in the center of 5 rabbit holes. Its magical, and so long as I don't get killed by a Treeguard, I should be good for a while.

And I had tried to stab him last time, but I'd always get hit, and I didn't have the log armor yet. But I finally got it researched, so I should be good this time.
    Aww, the thing is, I can get the fire pit and science machine on day ONE, and now I'm thinking I should get the cooking pot before that. And oddly enough, I've only seen the treeguard once.

Is there an easier/faster way of getting rabbits than baiting a trap and waiting, or chasing them?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »

Aww, the thing is, I can get the fire pit and science machine on day ONE, and now I'm thinking I should get the cooking pot before that. And oddly enough, I've only seen the treeguard once.

Is there an easier/faster way of getting rabbits than baiting a trap and waiting, or chasing them?

Run at them from the other side of the hole that they'll run to.

Like, say the H is the hole and the R is the Rabbit:

.....H.....R

You want to stand here

X.....H.....R

and hold down the mouse button on the rabbit. It'll get scared when you get near the hole and run toward it, you'll meet it there and chop its head off.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Well, yeah. I know that, but that still takes a bit of time to get right. I was hoping there would be a slightly faster way. Oh well.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well, yeah. I know that, but that still takes a bit of time to get right. I was hoping there would be a slightly faster way. Oh well.

You can also put down a trap and chase them into it.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I go for spiders once I get log armor for safety. Seems less time consuming and the webs are nice.

basically my normal start is:
    Sticks, grass, flint laying about like always.
    Collect berries then bush
    Chop wood
    Find camp spot, put it all there
    Chop wood and stone
    Aim for crock parts
    Kill spiders and crock them.

I also look for poo in there somewhere and a science machine perhaps before the Crock depending or just after.

Of course, I only started playing last night so still a noob. I asked about flower petals yesterday, they also can be used as "filler" in a crock.

Good Cooking Combo Recipe *spoilery I suppose*
    http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?1029-The-Official-Cooking-Combos-Thread!

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Something interesting I found in my last playthrough. Grass give 1 science point each, and stones give 2 SP. However, rope (6 grass) and cut stone (3 stone) give 9 SP each. So if you end up with a lot of grass or stone, that's a good way to spend your nights.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Can anyone confirm what Make New World actually does? I'm too scared to click Yes.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm what Make New World actually does? I'm too scared to click Yes.

Gives you a new randomly seeded world, but keeps your research as far as I've read.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Something interesting I found in my last playthrough. Grass give 1 science point each, and stones give 2 SP. However, rope (6 grass) and cut stone (3 stone) give 9 SP each. So if you end up with a lot of grass or stone, that's a good way to spend your nights.

I was just coming to post that, but I'd strongly suggest not using stone/cutstone for science when grass is so easily farmable and unlimited, while stone is has a limit on how much is in the world.

• Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    So what's the trick with beehives? I have yet to figure out a way to get them without getting nailed by bees.

• Options
    I saw a recipe for a beekeeper hat, but it requires the alchemy engine.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    datac0re wrote: »
    So what's the trick with beehives? I have yet to figure out a way to get them without getting nailed by bees.

Kill the bees, Smash the hive.
    Then build your beekeeping box thing and keep your own bees for honey supply.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    datac0re wrote: »

I tend to just kill them all while they are out and about. You can give your self more time by moving all of their nearby food sources.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    My first life was just ended by werepigs on night 16.

Fffff

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    So, funny story.
    I found a landbridge from my (relatively small) starting island. Here's what it looks like.

BCD037627B79ECE5CDAC3AEAA78247D38E8F96F6

So far, I've been exploring down the lower-left section. I didn't take enough stones for a fire pit, because I had a torch, and I figured, "If it starts to get dark, I'll just build a normal campfire and feed it pinecones for the night."

So I explored, and holy shit there's this totally badass swamp with black water and reeds (which I hadn't seen before). Made myself some paper, mined some stone. Not enough for a fire pit, but getting close). Even found a tribe of pigmen! But they don't have a king, is that normal?

So dusk arrives, and after unsuccessfully searching around for one more rock to finish my fire pit, I decide to spend the night with a normal campfire.

...which is when I realized that, in my zeal for science, I had fed almost all my grass (in the form of rope) to my alchemy engine the day before. I was one unit of grass short of a campfire.

The second realization came in, almost overtaking the first: I was on the far end of a fucking swamp, on the far end of a fucking cobblestone bridge, from my home island. You know what they don't have any of in swamps?

Fucking grass.

So I ran. I held off on lighting my torch until the last second, when I took the first pip of damage from the darkness. I hadn't even reached the bridge. The torch was at 73% because I'd tried to use it against the treeguard a few days before.

Crossed the bridge as quickly as I could, watching the percentage of torch remaining steadily tick down. Down. Down.

Arrived at the island, and had my third realization: I can't even SEE the grass unless I stumble across it.

So there I am, zigging and zagging like a maniac across my island with less than 20% of my torch remaining, and realizing just how much grass I'd harvested for rope-making. I keep seeing empty tufts, not yet regrown. 10%. Stumble into trees. Trying to remember where I last saw the treeguard. 5%. Out of the trees. 3%. I see a tuft of grass, click on it. Open the crafting menu, click "Campfire".

0%, the torch is gone. I place the campfire.

This game, you guys.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Even with re-planting, Optimus Pine gets angry, perhaps it's just when you chop down not fully grown trees?

• Options
    Honestly, since I've only seen him ONCE, I think he spawns in set locations (Like large forests) and gets pissed when you cut down a tree near him, since the one time he appeared for me, I just started cutting down a tree RIGHT near him (I didn't see him)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Honestly, since I've only seen him ONCE, I think he spawns in set locations (Like large forests) and gets pissed when you cut down a tree near him, since the one time he appeared for me, I just started cutting down a tree RIGHT near him (I didn't see him)

Yeah, I have a tendency to accidentally cut down the tree adjacent to him.

"Oh hey that tree had a friend. Well, guess I'm spending the rest of the day leading this guy away from my campsite."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Finally died on day 44. Tentacles are bad news, yo. On the upside, I unlocked Willow and Alice. Does anyone know if they learn different recipes from the engines? I can see Willow learning fire-related recipes and Alice learning night-related recipes.

I've also noticed a new food source in the land.
    Sometimes, when you harvest from a berry bush, a turkey will pop out. Most of the time I had to chase them to the edge of the map and kill them in a corner. Although I did notice that they'll stop to eat from berry bushes and I think they eat butterfly wings as well. I'm not sure on that last part though. If you can kill one you get a morsel and a drumstick.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Killed Optimus Pine with an axe. Took an entire day.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Finally died on day 44. Tentacles are bad news, yo. On the upside, I unlocked Willow and Alice. Does anyone know if they learn different recipes from the engines? I can see Willow learning fire-related recipes and Alice learning night-related recipes.
    Maybe later, but as of now, no. They have the same recipes.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just started this tonight, on day 17 now.

I lucked out and found a graveyard early on, allowing me to get a shitload of SCIENCE done.

Right now I've got a few fire pits placed strategically around the island that I've explored so I don't have to keep running back to one spot.

So far I've only found a few threats. A couple spiders early on, a walking bird thing that I ran away from after I stole its egg, and optimus pine which seemed to calm down after I planted a bunch of trees so I just sort of left him alone.

Oh, and ghosts, yeah.

• Options
    edited November 2012

I've also noticed a new food source in the land.
    Sometimes, when you harvest from a berry bush, a turkey will pop out. Most of the time I had to chase them to the edge of the map and kill them in a corner. Although I did notice that they'll stop to eat from berry bushes and I think they eat butterfly wings as well. I'm not sure on that last part though. If you can kill one you get a morsel and a drumstick.

How do you get facial hair when playing as Alice, or does she grow a beard?

Edit: Just noticed that they have added descriptions for the characters. So no facial hair for Alice then.

Richard on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    What do the other characters do? what makes them unique?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    What do the other characters do? what makes them unique?
    Willow is immune to fire damage, and can randomly start a fire in the dark. I don't know about the others though.

Also, oh man. This game was kind to me on my second world. A graveyard within spitting distance of spawn, then not too far from THAT a quarry, then not too far from THAT a beefalo pasture. Then not too far from THAT a rabbit field, then not too far from THAT, a forest, and then a pigman village.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Died on day 34 last night, in a world where I was pretty much golden to embark out and kick some ass. Had base camp in a rabbit field, 2 islands away from the Pigman village, had gotten all my golden tools (also, Minecraft ruined me because I figured Golden tools would be awful, but they are awesome) and most of the other SCIENCE recipes, and was making my last trip to get trade meat for gold to research the effigy.

I rolled into their town and realized two things:

1) They were all Werepigs.
    2) My inventory was literally a stack of logs, and the rest full stacks of meat to trade, so I didn't even have a weapon to defend myself.

So, what controls them turning into Werepigs?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Is there any way to save the game? I don't have time to sit and play an entire game; I always have to quit before I die.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Ugh. Died on day 34 last night, in a world where I was pretty much golden to embark out and kick some ass. Had base camp in a rabbit field, 2 islands away from the Pigman village, had gotten all my golden tools (also, Minecraft ruined me because I figured Golden tools would be awful, but they are awesome) and most of the other SCIENCE recipes, and was making my last trip to get trade meat for gold to research the effigy.

I rolled into their town and realized two things:

1) They were all Werepigs.
    2) My inventory was literally a stack of logs, and the rest full stacks of meat to trade, so I didn't even have a weapon to defend myself.

So, what controls them turning into Werepigs?

Moon.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is there any way to save the game? I don't have time to sit and play an entire game; I always have to quit before I die.

The game auto saves at sun rise and sun down.

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Figuring out I don't need bait to catch rabbits made surviving a little easier for me.