As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - Dark Meat

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I like this comic, and I agree with Gabe. Holday Creep is absurd. I should not be seeing Christmas stuff before Halloween happens.

My personal opinion is that the "Christmas season" should run from Thanskgiving Day til January 3. No music, decorations, sales, or anything else "holiday" related should be played, advertised, or displayed outside of that window.

Lucascraft on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I really love the idea of Tycho just dehydrating and rehydrating food over and over

back and forth

forever

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    My personal opinion is that anybody who actually ventures out to a retail store on Black Friday is a straight-up busta. No deal is worth it. Especially considering how much bait-and-switch, "(very) limited quantities available" bullshit goes on. Cyber Monday is where it's at. Actually more and more retailers like Amazon have a gravy train of deals going the whole month of November.

I just thank God I don't have to work Black Friday this year, after two years in a row of Toys R Us from midnight to dawn.

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The 8 pm stuff is just bitchy of Wal*Mart and Target. At least give your employee's turkey time to digest before throwing them to the wolves.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I really love the idea of Tycho just dehydrating and rehydrating food over and over

back and forth

forever
    I had a friend who always wanted to get a humidifier and a dehumidifier and lock them in a room to battle to the death.

Last year's Black Friday was kind of nice, because a lot of online stores were starting their sales around midnight, and I just happened to be working 3rd shift and had plenty of time to web browse :)

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The real losers are retail employees in this mess. I know a few folks who are expecting to basically lose Thanksgiving as a holiday in the next few years as more of this. "Open Black Friday at midnight or even on Thursday" shit starts up. It's fucking ridiculous.

Also, there are 12 goddamn days of Christmas. This shit with Christmas season starting in November is insane.

What is this I don't even.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    <-- Reppin' the holiday creep right here

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    You're a good pigeon Celchuuu.

Me? For my family, Christmas is the big holiday. And it's not really even about the presents for us. It's the time of year when various members of my family tends to visit and we eat a lot. Ussually we do this a week or two BEFORE the actual christmas day. Because of this, I haven't really DONE anything for thanksgiving for yeaaaaars.

So, I enjoy the early-ness of christmas sparkly stuff when I go out. Though, I should mention, I enjoy sparkly-ness in general.

So, when people bitch and moan about NO CHRISTMAS BEFORE THANKSGIVIIING WAAAAAAAH. I just roll my eyes and bask in the shiny.

.....A bit of a side note though, because my family tends to visit BEFORE christmas, and we do all our christmas stuff then, after they leave.... Well, Christmas is basically over for me, and seeing christmas stuff around after that actually does weird me out a bit. *laughs*

sig.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Face Vase Tycho is back. Hooray!

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    joyous tycho is so joyous

• uziel197uziel197 Registered User new member
    I work overnights of wal-mart and I know the pain he is talking about. I have to go to work at 7:00 pm on Thanksgiving because the "Black Friday" sales start at 8:00 on Thursday night.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    I hate black friday, the fact that people think the christmas season should start right after thanksgiving is disgusting to me. the thought of it during or before, outright horror. two years ago, a temp employee at the local wal-mart where i live was literally trampled to death black friday morning when he unlocked the doors that morning. people kept walking over him and they didnt even realise he was dead for a good while. then a year ago (the following year) everyone acted like nothing ever happened, or they forgot that a man died cause people wanted to go shopping at wal-mart. fuck you wal-mart, fuck you black friday, fuck you humanity.

eventually it will spread to encompass the entire month

Black November will be much darker than Black September.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The war on Christmas is real, but we didn't start it! Christmas has been gaining ground on Thanksgiving and Halloween for decades... Thanksgivings Day itself is the final firewall between us and a perpetual Christmas empire. If we lose ground on thanksgiving day, we'll no longer be able to hold Christmas at bay. Children will wake up on Christmas morning and not realize that it is distinct from any other day.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    I hate black friday, the fact that people think the christmas season should start right after thanksgiving is disgusting to me. the thought of it during or before, outright horror. two years ago, a temp employee at the local wal-mart where i live was literally trampled to death black friday morning when he unlocked the doors that morning. people kept walking over him and they didnt even realise he was dead for a good while. then a year ago (the following year) everyone acted like nothing ever happened, or they forgot that a man died cause people wanted to go shopping at wal-mart. fuck you wal-mart, fuck you black friday, fuck you humanity.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. A co-worker of mine used to work at Target, and she witnessed a woman pepper spray 5 other customers, including a young child. She actually got away with it in court, pleading self-defense against the crowd. What the hell?

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    The 8 pm stuff is just bitchy of Wal*Mart and Target. At least give your employee's turkey time to digest before throwing them to the wolves.

At least they'll get to eat... my Thanksgiving shift is 4pm-8pm. So, y'know, apparently we don't want to eat dinner on a day best known for eating a fancy dinner.

One guy I work with had someone ask him one Thanksgiving how much overtime we were getting. Which, of course, is none- some of the managers get holiday day, but none of the cashier got extra for being there. So then they ask why they made us work Thanksgiving. It took all he had to not snap and say 'YOU- you're why I'm here!'

I can't blame the business too much- if I made in 4 hours on a holiday what I made the entire previous week, I'd want to be open that day too. I do blame everyone going out and buying these crappy deals, thus giving the stores a reason to turn the day into just another sale. (Protip: I usually get the best deals right around Halloween when stores are trying to clear room for Black Friday, or right after when they're trying to lure back the BF shoppers for another go.)

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Oh. Come to think, back when I used to work at Dairy Queen, we used to open up Thanksgiving afternoon/night. I used to volunteer for the shift because, as I mentioned before, I didn't really care about Thanksgiving day all that much. It wasn't bad, as far as working there in general went. Got time-and-a-half, and pumpkin pie blizzards. omnomnom.

sig.gif
  • BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    My christmas tree went up in mid-October. The more people bitch about it being too soon, the earlier I move back my Christmas season.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I am genuinely disturbed by the depiction of Tycho in the first panel. What hideous capering man-creature has Gabe visualized for us, convulsed in the grip of an unwholesome desire for countertop appliances and the promise of sweet holiday deals thereon?

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    As someone who works in retail, this comic really resonated with me. Honestly, it seems like lately the number of holidays a retail worker is actually eligible for is getting smaller and smaller. Sadly, it's not just Thanksgiving either. Up here in Canada I ended up having to work Canada day, because apparently folks who work retail aren't worthy enough to celebrate their national fucking holiday. Now it seems some retailers up here want to start their own versions of black friday in order to curtail cross border shopping. It goes without saying that I absolutely agree with Gabe's position on the matter.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    All of the attention Tycho in panel one is (deservedly) getting is keeping anybody from giving any love to Gabe in panel 3. It looks like Gabe's character select portrait in an arcade fighting game or something. All shadowy and angsty.

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    i work thanksgiving and black friday next week, if you are in the orlando area you can come give me a hug and slip me some cyanide grape drank

• TindiTindi Registered User new member
    Thanksgiving has always been a family holiday with my family. After my parents split up, the day after Thanksgiving was often also Thanksgiving. This is kind of how it works when you have two families that want to spend time with you but not with each other.

Another thing is, because my dad's best friend throws a famous Thanksgiving party every year, Thanksgiving was as big as Christmas to me for a long time. I got to see people that I only saw once a year, the food was fan-fucking-tastic, and we got to stay up late and talk with the adults. The idea of depriving anyone of the opportunity to spend time with their family, especially if they aren't given SPECTACULAR overtime, makes me sick and sad.

I've worked retail during the "Christmas season" and it is hell. Hell in twinkly lights and overpriced garbage electronics. My expression when I see these sales is similar to Gabe's throughout this comic. Good luck to all of you who are doing it this year.

• MlemMlem Registered User new member
    I registered just to comment on this comic. The fact is that it's not just Target on Walmart that are doing this. Every company that heard about opening at 8pm thought it was a great idea and implemented it. I work at Sears and we're opening at 8pm on thanksgiving and staying open until 10 pm on black friday. This is my first black friday and I am truly terrified.

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I did a Black Friday at Circuit City (remember those?) back in '06. We opened at 3 or 4 am, for some ungodly reason, so I had to be there an hour beforehand. On top of that, I lived a decent distance away, about 40 minutes. Anyways, I put in a 12 hour shift, with one meager break after 9 am, where I couldn't leave the store because they left us giant Wal-Mart sandwiches in the breakroom, not in the fridge, mind you, just out. At room temperature, all morning.

After work, I treated myself to a nice lunch, went to my wife's dorm and slept for ever. They tried to call me in on Saturday, trying to sell me on the fact that everyone is sacrificing this weekend, and the like. I quit on the spot.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I always just took Thanksgiving off when I worked at Shopko (which was easy because I was already off most of the non-summer off due to school, so I just didn't call in asking for hours during Thanksgiving break :P). I remember working Christmas time though. We were open at least until midnight every night and they always made the cashiers stay and help clean up all the aisles for at least an hour after the store closed. And Christmas was bad because customers would just drop shit on the ground and it was all small stuff like ornaments and tinsel so it took forever to clean up.

I do not miss that job :P Also because I hate people :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    3 years ago I went to get my cousin a wedding gift from Macy's (she got married the 23rd or the 27, so this was about the 17th of September). The back half of the store was nothing but christmas trees.

god damn insane.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I am 100% on Gabe's side. And I don't even work retail anymore.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    If I can avoid it, I will never go into a store on Black Friday for the rest of my life.

HOWEVER, I love black friday creep because I can get awesome deals from Newegg right now, ("Black November") and I don't even have to leave my desk.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I am 100% on Gabe's side. And I don't even work retail anymore.

This.

These compulsive shoppers could be snug at home with their families letting a delightful holiday meal settle in their stomachs, and quite easily get the same "deals" or far better ones online at Amazon. The ones who instead choose to camp out in a parking lot, then elbow and trample human beings on their way to whatever pile of overstock crap X retail store accumulated throughout the year, are indeed monsters.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I remember being stationed next to the small appliances at wal mart to 'discourage theft'

I did not, at all

• erideeride Registered User new member
    I am sorry, but the elephant in the room is what Fruit Fucker thinks of all of this dehydrate/re-hydrate action. I can't help but feel there is an unexplored fruit-o-phelia angle here.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    HOWEVER, I love black friday creep because I can get awesome deals from Newegg right now, ("Black November") and I don't even have to leave my desk.

Man, they got October AND November?

• BlargfooBlargfoo Registered User new member
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/walmart-black-friday-strike-organized-online-video_n_2094698.html
    There was a strike in October to protest unsafe working conditions for Wal-Mart warehouse contractors. Seems the agitators got fired, hours cut, or other unsavory retaliation, so now there's a strike to protest that planned for Black Friday. I just like to savor that thought. Wal-Mart getting hit by its first wide-scale strike ever on Black Friday, when it hurts them the most.

• VangaldVangald Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I just want to, as a big box retail giant employee, say thank you to Mike and Jerry for this one. Just thank you. Fuck I hate my job.

P.S. I only get Christmas eve off. I work the graveyard shift.

Vangald on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    Digest? I work 3pm to 1 am starting thanksgiving I will have no turkey at all!

Also three pallets stacked on top o each other of 360s and Samsung 46 inch led tvs is just an OSHA violation waiting to happen.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I mean if an earthquake doesn't topple it all over first.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    My mom works part time at Macy's. Last year when they decided to open at midnight she volunteered to work overnight so she could be at home during the day on Black Friday. We thought who on earth would want to buy fine china at 2am (that's her department). Apparently it was just overwhelming and insane all night long. Now given how insane and busy it was, she checks the schedule for this year. On her floor there is one extra person scheduled as compared to last year. One. And this year they have a big ugly display of toys r us toys on their floor between all the china and crystal and statues too.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't even leave the house on black friday if I can avoid it, nevermind actually shopping

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I kind of enjoy the whole Black Friday insanity, you just have to be careful is all.

If the store is doing it "open the doors and have medics on standby" style, like the Best Buy and Target, then avoid that store. But the Old Navy and the Toys R Us nearby all do "Only X people are allowed in the store at a time. Everyone else stays outside and waits in line or they get nothing good day sir!".

Fry's Electronics is amazing to visit just because they handle the insanity so well, their queue system is awesome.

Now I'm imagining fast food places with Black Friday deals. "McDonald's Doorbuster MADNESS! Eighteen Big Macs for $10! Only available between 1am and 3am! While supplies last!"