As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Because the iPad 3, aside from the faster GPU (which is needed to power the huge screen) has the same CPU horsepower as the iPad 2.

The iPad 4 is the first major CPU bump to the iPad line since the 2 came out a couple years ago. So the Mini is still just one generation behind the flagship device in terms of performance.

And in my opinion, it screams. And the screen doesn't look bad at all. And it feels almost weightless. And I bought one today and am selling my old iPad 1.

It's a major upgrade for me.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If the iPad mini had come out a year ago, I'd have one. As it is I have a Nexus 7 at that form factor, and have no desire to replace it.

Now, the new full size iPad on the other hand is enticing me as a replacement for my new iPad 2. I want that new screen and the A6X.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If the iPad mini had come out a year ago, I'd have one. As it is I have a Nexus 7 at that form factor, and have no desire to replace it.

Now, the new full size iPad on the other hand is enticing me as a replacement for my new iPad 2. I want that new screen and the A6X.

I have a very solid feeling that the A6X iPad is a placeholder for something a little more drastic in the redesign department. This is the "4s" of the iPad world. Not a bad device, but totally skippable if you have an iPad 2 or greater, in my opinion. Developers are still aiming at the 2, and will be for a long time with the Mini having just come out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I just really want the retina screen honestly :/ Though I guess it would be prudent to wait until November of next year when they inevitably release the iPad rev 5 with the A7 and a 4096 screen with 50 googolplex colors....and holograms.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    If the iPhone 5S rumors are true, you might not even have to wait that long. Meaning that Apple apparently has no qualms about moving to a shorter-than-1-year release cycle for their products now. Which is a change I can't say I'm in favor of. It's one of the things I hated about Android.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Bullio wrote: »
    If the iPhone 5S rumors are true, you might not even have to wait that long. Meaning that Apple apparently has no qualms about moving to a shorter-than-1-year release cycle for their products now. Which is a change I can't say I'm in favor of. It's one of the things I hated about Android.
    I have heard no such rumors... I mean, there will be a 5s at some point, sure. But there is zero rumors pointing towards that happening any time soon.

They released the 4th gen iPad purely for the lightning cable. It having the A6X in it was just a byproduct of when it came out and them wanting to move towards their own chip designs. I feel the 4th gen iPad will be the "odd man out" even moreso than the 3rd gen, because whatever they release next is going to have a dramatically new design, and the power needs of the platform are not going to go drastically beyond what the 2 is capable of.

Which, from a CPU perspective, is quite a lot.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have heard no such rumors... I mean, there will be a 5s at some point, sure. But there is zero rumors pointing towards that happening any time soon.

They released the 4th gen iPad purely for the lightning cable. It having the A6X in it was just a byproduct of when it came out and them wanting to move towards their own chip designs. I feel the 4th gen iPad will be the "odd man out" even moreso than the 3rd gen, because whatever they release next is going to have a dramatically new design, and the power needs of the platform are not going to go drastically beyond what the 2 is capable of.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/11/13/links-13-nov-the-apple-iphone-5s-rumours-are-flying/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/11/13/links-13-nov-the-apple-iphone-5s-rumours-are-flying/

It will be like what happened with the iPhone 4 and the antenna. Some internal adjustments, some manufacturing line changes, and no appreciable difference to the end user who gets it, if this happens.

There have been 3-4 different xbox 360 slims internally, sharing the same storage, speed, RAM and capability. But they don't bother changing the name each time they change the internal process.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I just really want the retina screen honestly :/ Though I guess it would be prudent to wait until November of next year when they inevitably release the iPad rev 5 with the A7 and a 4096 screen with 50 googolplex colors....and holograms.

If you didn't buy a 3, wait it out. All of the iTouchscreen devices current have that compressed touch screen technology thingie that make them thinner and lighter. With the exception of the iPad.

But that's just me, as a three owner, it's plenty fast for me already so I'd want a physical change personally.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I'm strongly considering selling my iPad 3 and getting a mini. Lack of retina would be rough, but after trying a mini, whenever I pick up my 3 now I think about how big and heavy it is. And I figure if a retina mini comes out next year, the first gen will probably have enough resale value to make up most of the cost of a new one.

• Options
    I sold my iPad 1 32 GB 3G device for close to 300 bucks, and it is now three whole generations behind... so yeah, they do a good job of holding on to their resale value

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I want to buy my fiance a mini for Christmas, but it seems most places are cleared out. I went to three stores today and nobody had any in stock. Hmm. So I ordered a 16GB white one from apple.com just now. It says "shipping in two weeks". Think it'll get here in time, or maybe I'm SOL? D:

• Options
    No, Apple is good with their shipping estimates. If they say 2 weeks then you'll get it then, give or take a couple days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    No, Apple is good with their shipping estimates. If they say 2 weeks then you'll get it then, give or take a couple days.

Oh good. I got a confirmation email with an estimated delivery date of Dec. 11, so it looks like I'll be good. That's a relief.

I did get to play with a mini at Best Buy today, and that thing is so awesome. I've got an iPhone 4 and so does she, but we've never had an iPad. And seeing as she uses that phone all the time as her main computer/browser/Facebook device, I think the mini will be pretty awesome for her. I'm excited. :)

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I want to buy my fiance a mini for Christmas, but it seems most places are cleared out. I went to three stores today and nobody had any in stock. Hmm. So I ordered a 16GB white one from apple.com just now. It says "shipping in two weeks". Think it'll get here in time, or maybe I'm SOL? D:

I'm having this problem as well. We're resigned to ordering it on the Apple store and hoping it arrives for Christmas. Says it ships late November on the Australian store, so I can't take too long to get here, Right?

...Right?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    The iPad Mini has blown me away as a gaming machine. Its just the perfect size to hold and still have a great sized screen.

Not quite as nice for browsing the forums given font size, but better for posting.

My one wish is that iOS Safari had the "Zoom only Text" option from OSX Safari. Because that would fix everything.

Actually, are there any browsers on the App Store that have that ability already? I mean, I like Safari, but zooming text would probably be worth switching.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    Next week I'm going to buy an iPad, 32gb with Wifi-Cellular.

I was thinking of getting a re-furb 3rd gen.

BUT, the 4th gen is only $130 more expensive.

Someone tell me I should spend $730 dollars on something rather frivolous (even though I'm going to use it to read and annontate PDFs for work and take it to the 5+ conferences I go to a year).

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So, I have another question.

I remembered my iPhone has the option to use its 3G connection to act as a wifi hotspot. Considering I always have my iPhone on me, and I wanted to see if I could add another 3G sim for my iPad on my current account, I realized I should be able to get a wifi iPad mini and use this on my iPhone to use the 3G connection.

Is it a decent ability? I know it'll be slower than an actual 3G connection, but will it be so much slower to not be worth it?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've used the same setup, and it's not quite what I really want. Yes, you do get a wifi hotspot from your phone and it'll connect to the iPad ok, but then you're totally killing the battery of your phone in the process, so you're draining two devices of their power, with a slower internet speed to boot.

The LTE in the 5 might help with that, but you're still juggling devices.

• Options
    Well, it's not like I'll have the hotspot on permanently. More like for the 15 minutes on the train when I might want to read the news or something.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

The retina screen is pretty cool. but not quite as big of a difference as it is on the phones.

• Options
    My brother-in-law is convinced the iPhone 5 has a 'holographic keyboard' because he saw some fake video online and I've never bothered trying to explain that it's fake.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well, it's not like I'll have the hotspot on permanently. More like for the 15 minutes on the train when I might want to read the news or something.

Well then would you want the hassle of turning the hotspot on and off every day?

Dan is right in that there is a power hit on both devices, and that's true so it's more down to how you feel you would use the device more.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am debating on getting/asking for an iPad mini or regular for Xmas. Thoughts?

I would use it mainly for Comixology (reading comics) and playing the tons of games I have.

I also wouldn't mind using it to doodle. I tried out a drawing app and was fascinated with what I could do with a stylus.
    318911_10100214485686027_673598802_n.jpg

I drew that on a friend's regular iPad. My only "experience" with the mini was seeing it in action as I left the Apple store. Someone was playing Jetpack Joyride and it just looked so natural on the mini. My only concern is the mini being too small to doodle on with a stylus.

Also, are there any stylus out there that aren't so large on the bottom (the end where you point/press/whatever onto the screen)?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I hate trying to read comics on small devices. My iPad 3 is the reason why I got back into comics in a big way. They look at least as good as print on a retina display.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't mind them on my iPhone 5. I would just prefer a larger device if I could, which it seems that I am getting one.

I'll probably go with an iPad mini, but I want to hold one in my hand to see if I wouldn't hate doodling with it. Having two out of three things I want wouldn't be the end of the world.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    The iPad 4 would probably be better for comics. Non-retina screen for something that begs for a good quality screen seems like a bad idea.

That said, I agree, the form factor of the mini is really nice.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    HD comics in Comixology look awesome on a retina iPad 3 I gotta say.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I personally have no problems while reading comics on my iPad mini. Sometimes I have to zoom in for text two page spreads or if one panel contains really detailed art. But for the most part it is fine. I these things bother you and you want a "no compromise reading experience" then go for the retina models.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Yeah, the comics look great on a Mini. And in my opinion, Guided Mode is one of the greatest things to happen to comics, so, the smaller screen isn't a huge deal.

I'm really hoping I get some iTunes giftcards for christmas specifically for some comics.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Too many people are saying the lack of retina on the mini is a compromise. I get the feeling these people haven't actually used it.

I went into an apple Store with the design of buying a 4th Gen iPad, and walked out with a Mini instead, because the better build, significantly lighter, smaller footprint device that can do everything the iPad 3 can do in terms of raw power / features and has a higher pixel density than the iPad 1 (which is where I am upgrading from)...

the larger, heavier and less beautiful looking new iPad has more compromises for me than the Mini does.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    For me, lugging around an A4 tablet isn't not so attractive. If I have to think about wether to take a device with me, more often than not it is staying home, collecting dust. The iPad mini has the right size and the applications use the screen size well.

• Options
    I went to Best Buy today to play with both. I am all for the mini. I doodled with the Paper app and I was satisfied. The screen is large enough that I don't feel like I am lacking space when drawing. And after being suggested the newer iPad with retina in here, I was worried about the look on the mini. Just looking at stuff on there today reassured me that it won't matter.

And yea, the guided mode for Comixology is amazing.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Guided view is great for comics on the go on a phone or small tablets, but I still prefer a full page experience. I find panel art being cutoff on a retina iPad in GV, which doesn't make any sense. It could do with some sort of responsive design or a smart zoom feature akin to text and article zoom in mobile web browsers, which is basically what I use it for on a tablet. It's pretty close to that, but not quite there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My mom and sister are out at Best Buy, probably picking a pad up for me. I get a text saying "Big one has new retina display clearer or stick with mini". I am sticking with the mini. I just don't want a huge tablet. Am I a bad person? Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Not really. I just discovered the mini fits perfectly into my outer coat pocket making it about 1000% more portable and likely to actually leave the house on occasion.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Anyone ever have a problem with audio on their iPhone 5? I have a song playing (that I bought through my phone). Random times, the audio for it just goes off, but I go to the audio app and it is still playing. If I skip back in the song, I can hear it. Pretty sure this happened with other music I have too and it is random. I am going to sync my phone right now, so maybe that will help magically.

edit: Nevermind what I edited in earlier. Ha. But yea, I'd love to hear if anyone else had this issue with the audio just stopping but the song keeps going.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I have an iPad 2 and I've held off updating to IOS 6. Has it been patched at all? Or should I just do it anyway?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Why do you not want to update?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Why do you not want to update?

People complaining everywhere. I'm afraid I don't remember the details exactly.

I figure I could take a bear.