As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Don't Starve!] ...or get eaten by anything horrible. (But you totally will.)

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is there any way to save the game? I don't have time to sit and play an entire game; I always have to quit before I die.

The game auto saves at sun rise and sun down.

But all it's saving is research points. I've never been able to continue a game after I exit it manually.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Is there any way to save the game? I don't have time to sit and play an entire game; I always have to quit before I die.

But all it's saving is research points. I've never been able to continue a game after I exit it manually.

That's odd, when you hit continue it should go back to your last save, and you keep playing your same guy. it should only reset to a new unexplored island if you die or choose to start a new game.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

That's weird.

Press Esc, "Main Menu" and "I said quit!".

Click "Play" and "Continue".

Research points and unlocked items carry over in new games but "Continue" lets you keep going were you are with all your stuff (as long as you don't get yourself killed).

Richard on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Thinking about filling out the research after my next death. Still have a few things to research. My island thus far is a camp in the middle of beefalo field. Graveyard north, graveyard sounth, a lot of minables on the way to each. Should take care of all my research.

I still have yet to see a rabbit hole. Yet to see the new animal. Haven't left the first island yet.

Current play through, Optimus Pine beat the tentacle for me, then forgot all about his hate for me. It was rather convenient.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I have a question, how do I see the product key for my version of the game? The email in my inbox seems to only contain the gift product key I can give away, and when I try to fetch the steam key for my copy from the chrome menu it asks for a chrome key to convert. Does that mean that only one of the copies can actually be used for steam, while the other is chrome only?

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Why Steam store? Why do you reject my attempt to serve the Newell and redirect me to the store homepage when I try to purchase this?

I watched two parts of a LP and found it so charming but also want to figure things out for myself. But now it won't let me.

Have I angered you Newell?

Edit: Ah it heard my plea, now I shall attempt to not starve.

Karoz on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    I have a question, how do I see the product key for my version of the game? The email in my inbox seems to only contain the gift product key I can give away, and when I try to fetch the steam key for my copy from the chrome menu it asks for a chrome key to convert. Does that mean that only one of the copies can actually be used for steam, while the other is chrome only?

I have no idea what you're asking.

You purchase the game. You get a copy automatically, then it gives you a second copy to gift. Why do you need the key for your own copy? And if you do, you just go to your library, right click on the game, and view CD key, or whatever it says.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Foomy wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

That's odd, when you hit continue it should go back to your last save, and you keep playing your same guy. it should only reset to a new unexplored island if you die or choose to start a new game.

Hmmm, I never get the Continue option. I think I'll re-install.

InkSplat wrote: »

You purchase the game. You get a copy automatically, then it gives you a second copy to gift. Why do you need the key for your own copy? And if you do, you just go to your library, right click on the game, and view CD key, or whatever it says.

I bought it through Chrome, I would like to play it in Steam.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Why Steam store? Why do you reject my attempt to serve the Newell and redirect me to the store homepage when I try to purchase this?

I watched two parts of a LP and found it so charming but also want to figure things out for myself. But now it won't let me.

Have I angered you Newell?

Edit: Ah it heard my plea, now I shall attempt to not starve.

Spoiler warning: You're going to starve.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg

Ooh. As far as I know, you should actually get 2 Chrome Keys and 2 Steam Keys out of the deal if it bought it via chrome. Might want to check their forum, as they probably have the answer there. I think most of us bought it through steam.

Ooh. As far as I know, you should actually get 2 Chrome Keys and 2 Steam Keys out of the deal if it bought it via chrome. Might want to check their forum, as they probably have the answer there. I think most of us bought it through steam.

They did have some blurb up a few days ago about getting keys for Steam if you bought through Chrome so yeah, official website should have some answers.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Even with re-planting, Optimus Pine gets angry, perhaps it's just when you chop down not fully grown trees?

I think as long as you are not harvesting the smallest trees, and are replanting every pinecone you get, He should never appear.

But if you did a stupid thing, like..burn down 1/3rd of your worlds trees, Then his spawning seems to come more regularly.

• WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    If anyone has a gift-copy and no one to gift it to, I'd really like to try this game out. :3

Wydrion on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Even with re-planting, Optimus Pine gets angry, perhaps it's just when you chop down not fully grown trees?

I think as long as you are not harvesting the smallest trees, and are replanting every pinecone you get, He should never appear.

But if you did a stupid thing, like..burn down 1/3rd of your worlds trees, Then his spawning seems to come more regularly.

It is also not a set spot, as I've had him spawn in the middle of my tree farm from a tree that I planted.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

It is also not a set spot, as I've had him spawn in the middle of my tree farm from a tree that I planted.

Yeah, this is precisely why I had to spend one pineconeless night running in circles around my firepit until dawn.

Wydrion wrote: »
    If anyone has a gift-copy and no one to gift it to, I'd really like to try this game out. :3

Mines on a steamgift giveaway already. But there is a Chrome version you can try out until you can get it.

steam_sig.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

Yeah, this is precisely why I had to spend one pineconeless night running in circles around my firepit until dawn.

That's how it happened to me, except the reason I was cutting my tree farm was my fire was dangerously low and I was out of fuel. He spawned when I chopped the first tree and proceeded to chase me away before I could pick up the wood. That night then consisted of running in increasingly smaller circles as my fire slowly died until, as it was at its last ember, I dove for the wood in a last ditch effort. It failed. He caught me. I did not see dawn.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    That is some horrifying shit to know he can spawn in your own tree farm.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Moving a spider nest near my home base to farm them for webs was a good idea at the start.

But it didn't end well.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Moving a spider nest near my home base to farm them for webs was a good idea at the start.

But it didn't end well.

Plant a few spider nests around beehives. Check in every now and then to watch them fight (and collect loot).

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

But it didn't end well.

Plant a few spider nests around beehives. Check in every now and then to watch them fight (and collect loot).

Tentacles attack spiders dont they? Just plant nests in the swamps, swing through every other day to collect meats and silks.

• VivaVizerVivaVizer Registered User regular

I found mine by going to Options>Product Keys.

Take the Chrome Key in put it into the converter.

Tentacles attack everything, Beefalo and Optimus Pine confirmed with my own eyes, or remnants of.

Tree > Tentacles though. I think the beefalo and tentacle destroyed each other because I had parts from both when I walked up.

steam_sig.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

But it didn't end well.

I thought camp fires would keep away spiders at night.

Turns out the 12+ spiders did not really care whether I had a camp fire or not.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    If someone has a spare key that would be super much appreciated

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    signature.png

camo_sig.png
  • onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    So, first play through made it to day 9. Loving this game so far. Spoilering newb questions.
    What is the deal with ghosts? I dug two out, they hit me when they came out, but otherwise just sluggishly walked after me. Went back the next day and they didn't exist. Is there a way to kill them? I imagine the loot would be awesome for research.

I find myself needing to set up multiple camps to actually get to a destination, make it profitable, and return home all before nightfall. Is this kind of expected, or did I set up a shitty home location?

And re: farm plots. At what point do they become more bountiful than just transplanting every single god damned berry bush in existence? I did two plots, then realized I needed more manure to fertilize the plots.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    onesixty2 wrote: »
    So, first play through made it to day 9. Loving this game so far. Spoilering newb questions.
    What is the deal with ghosts? I dug two out, they hit me when they came out, but otherwise just sluggishly walked after me. Went back the next day and they didn't exist. Is there a way to kill them? I imagine the loot would be awesome for research.

I find myself needing to set up multiple camps to actually get to a destination, make it profitable, and return home all before nightfall. Is this kind of expected, or did I set up a shitty home location?

And re: farm plots. At what point do they become more bountiful than just transplanting every single god damned berry bush in existence? I did two plots, then realized I needed more manure to fertilize the plots.
    I can only really answer the first question, but
    Ghosts just show up randomly when you open a grave. You know. Cause you're graverobbing. They will dissapear after awhile, and I THINK you can get them to go away by attacking them, but it's not really recomended, since they do continuous damage and go through armor.

They do not drop anything.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    This seems like a perfect iPad game. I am loving this so far although I am only on day 4.

camo_sig.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Quick question, how well do the gold tools work compared to the basic ones?

Taking down a tree with a golden axe takes up 1 durability. Taking down a tree with a normal one takes up like 20.

M A G I K A Z A M
    I feel like I successfully made myself sick of this game in a single evening. Maybe I will want to play it again a few updates down the line, but for now I feel like I have experienced most of what the game has to offer. The effort of just keeping yourself stocked with wood and food to stay alive got pretty tedious by day 10.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Taking down a tree with a golden axe takes up 1 durability. Taking down a tree with a normal one takes up like 20.

So it sounds like researching the better pickaxe first is a good idea.

edited November 2012

Very much so.

Also, I have to ask. What exactly is wendy's benefit? I mean, with willow, yeah. You have immunity to fire, and the ability to firestart in the dark. However, with Wendy, Abigail doesn't seem to HELP at all. At best does nothing, at worst, can actually injure me. So is there some benefit I'm missing?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone else get a crafting tab stuck open?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    I cannot say how many times I would starve in this games if your character didn't warn you at 25 or so hunger.

On the other hand, your character don't say shit about low HP, leading to many hilarious disembowelments.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Okay, Willow is quite useful for running the long bridges as you can keep running at night without stopping to make a torch. Just as long as you have food, you're golden.

.....Well THAT was incredibly unfortunate for me I was collecting wood, and Accidentally hit a beefalo while doing so. So they started chasing me...and I managed to kill them, but suddenly it's pitch black and I get bitten to death by something as I'm fumbling around desperately trying to start my fire. I think I'll stick with Willow from now on. or even Wilson. I REALLY don't see any benefit to using Wendy.

M A G I K A Z A M

Very much so.

Also, I have to ask. What exactly is wendy's benefit? I mean, with willow, yeah. You have immunity to fire, and the ability to firestart in the dark. However, with Wendy, Abigail doesn't seem to HELP at all. At best does nothing, at worst, can actually injure me. So is there some benefit I'm missing?

She acts like a pigman--she defends you. But she's so focused on murder that she'll attack you too if you get too close.