As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TRENCHES] Thursday, November 15, 2012 - Lineage

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Lineage

Lineage
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/lineage

The fun stops when you get keys.

Anonymous

I worked at a major game retailer. Let’s call it a place you’d Stop. For Games. I started as seasonal help, but I was good, so I got keys a couple of weeks before Christmas. Within a year, I had a store of my own.

The thing is, selling games, particularly on the preorder/buy used model, turned into a hard sales gig a lot faster than I was really comfortable with. I saw district managers order store managers to break the rules to boost numbers, then fire them for said violations in order to look good to Loss Prevention. After all, high turnover rates mean you don’t have to pay anyone more than 28 grand a year for a 50 hour a week salary position. It was a mess. I was one of the few managers making quota without doing anything shady, so I knew my time was limited.

They transferred me to the middle of nowhere, 50 mile commute each way. I was given 3 months to fix a store that had been run into the ground by three years of bad management. I figure most people could have turned it around in half a year, but I still almost made it.

Funny thing though, I kept getting really tired, started showing up late. I thought it was from working 70 hour weeks with that hour drive on each end of every day. After a few months of that, they fired me.

Two weeks later I found out I had cancer. With no family history or chemical exposure, stress was considered the main contributing factor. But hey, they gave me rehire status…

Geth on

• DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    Two weeks later I found out I had cancer.

D:

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A job so bad it gives you cancer. A new low. D:

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Stress can be a cause of cancer?

When the fuck did this become a thing?

• AgentAlaskaAgentAlaska Registered User new member
    Up until now the stories have been mostly horrible in away that makes you say "damn that sucks". This is just down right depressing though.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Oh no, giving up your health for a shitty job is the worst trade.

Fuck off and die.
  • Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Oh man that was depressing .............. I think I need a smoke. Nope, that'll give you cancer.

Ok, i'll have a stiff drink .... nope that too will do it.

A steak? Nope.

A sandwich? Nope.

A fried breakfast? Nope, that'll be heart disease.

Crack? Too moreish and illegal.

I think I might have to resort to self-pleasure. If they ever link cancer or heart disease to that then i'm done with life.

On a more serious note, I hope Anonymous is now all recovered and flipping the bird to his ex-employers from a more successful position.

Sgt.Big_Bubbaloola on

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

It's not a proven thing, just a theory - being stressed can mess up your hormone balance, which could mess with cell growth. It's not like stress is a mutagen though, and studies into it amount to asking cancer patients if they were stressed before being diagnosed. :P

The story is sad, but the comic is cute; love Isaac and Gwen in the ballpit. :D

Also mysterious developments!

Oh brilliant
  • ShenShen Registered User regular

Had a friend develop a severe ulcer and various gastric issues from stress, so I could believe this. The sad thing is that this was in university when he was 20. The game industry may suck guys, but architecture will fuck you up as well! :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The thing about stress is that it can make you vulnerable to mostly any kind of disease you're already liable to get. Your immune system goes weaker and chances of developing all kinds of shit go up.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    On the one hand I deeply admire the author's dedication

On the other hand for the love of god apply that level of dedication to anything other than Doing a Gamestop until you get stress cancer, christ!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That's one depressing story.

I love how Isaac is playing in the ballpit. He looks so happy. I do wonder if Cora's dad is the entire reason that Q didn't fire her over the whole player revolt thing and what he might have IP wise (I assume) he would want. The whole thing where Q and Cora looked to be starting a considerably antagonistic relationship seems to have just... Disappeared? Really inconsistent.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wait, is this about her actual father? I thought it was some sort of exploitative sexual thing where Q wants to be called daddy.

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    That's one depressing story.

I love how Isaac is playing in the ballpit. He looks so happy. I do wonder if Cora's dad is the entire reason that Q didn't fire her over the whole player revolt thing and what he might have IP wise (I assume) he would want. The whole thing where Q and Cora looked to be starting a considerably antagonistic relationship seems to have just... Disappeared? Really inconsistent.

Well, as near as I can follow the story, the player revolt led by Cora is what led to Lawstar going F2P, and going F2P not only probably saved the game but made it wildly successful and profitable. So I guess Q is willing to let bygones by bygones? I agree this whole second half of the "season" has been a bumpy ride in terms of plot development, though.

• Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »

Had a friend develop a severe ulcer and various gastric issues from stress, so I could believe this. The sad thing is that this was in university when he was 20. The game industry may suck guys, but architecture will fuck you up as well! :P

Stress increases gastric acid production, which can lead to ulcers. That said, in the last 10-15 years or so we've discovered that virtually all ulcers are linked to H. pylori. Eradicate that bug and ulcers go away, although various other GI upset can persist. As for stress causing cancer, that's nothing I've ever heard of and I'd be very suspicious of anyone who tried to make that connection.

edited November 2012
    Guys, I don't think the person who sent in the story was meaning to imply that working there literally gave him cancer.

The part of the story that really amazes me is that he started as seasonal help and actually got kept on and promoted.

Gaslight on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

The part of the story that really amazes me is that he started as seasonal help and actually got kept on and promoted.

That's actually ridiculously common... This story... is likely true for many areas of the country :/

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Guys, I don't think the person who sent in the story was meaning to imply that working there literally gave him cancer.

What other stress did he mention in his story?

Fuck off and die.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Oh man that was depressing .............. I think I need a smoke. Nope, that'll give you cancer.

Ok, i'll have a stiff drink .... nope that too will do it.

A steak? Nope.

A sandwich? Nope.

A fried breakfast? Nope, that'll be heart disease.

Crack? Too moreish and illegal.

I think I might have to resort to self-pleasure. If they ever link cancer or heart disease to that then i'm done with life.

On a more serious note, I hope Anonymous is now all recovered and flipping the bird to his ex-employers from a more successful position.
    Jacking off (or more specifically ejaculation) is linked to prostate cancer, but in the other direction - it makes you less likely to develop prostate cancer.

• wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Jacking off (or more specifically ejaculation) is linked to prostate cancer, but in the other direction - it makes you less likely to develop prostate cancer.

I'm going to get so much NOT prostate cancer it's going to be amazing.

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    As for stress causing cancer, that's nothing I've ever heard of and I'd be very suspicious of anyone who tried to make that connection.

Without getting too much into it, this my basic understand I've been taught...
    The thing about stress is that it can make you vulnerable to mostly any kind of disease you're already liable to get. Your immune system goes weaker and chances of developing all kinds of shit go up.

This is essentially your answer. Our cells could have become cancerous and be devoured, via immunity, before we ever knew. You could be a cancer survivor and didn't even realize! But if stress (usually coupled with lack of sleep, possible depression) has caused you to become immunocompromised, what may have been handled could start to emerge.

IN ADDITION! There's new research coming out on telomeres.

Stress also reduced your telomeres. And healthy telomeres help reduce the signs of aging. They also play a role in cancer.
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/telomeres/

So there's all kinds of evidence piling up that stress could be a key player in cancer due to it's effect on other mechanisms.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • trevoracioustrevoracious Registered User regular
    If this guy's a young man (which I'm guessing is a decent bet), odds are he got the ball cancer.
    If so, Mr. Anonymous, this fellow survivor gives you the one-ball salute. We are a proud fraternity with a more manageable scrotum.
    If not, enjoy your uncompromised junk.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    It's funny store managers at the Mart of walls sure dont seem to last long either. Like one of the stores I worked a went through three in a year.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Baaaad science. A classic misinterpretation of cause and effect vs correlation.

They used to think stress gave you ulcers.

Science has now proved that Helicobacter pylori bacteria give you ulcers, and crippling stomach pains make you stressed.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Of course the store I work at now the store manager is on LOA and has been for months.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular

"What's taking so long in there?"

"Preventative medicine!"

It's probably hard to find a statistically significant group of stressed people whose only problem is actual stress not some other life style that increases cancer risk.

Fuck off and die.
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    why would he hire cora

cora needs to be fired

god this series

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Geth wrote: »
    I worked at a major game retailer. Let’s call it a place you’d Stop. For Games.
    *Groans* Didn't we see almost the exact same not-clever reference like two weeks ago?

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    why would he hire cora

cora needs to be fired

god this series

well he obviously needs her father for whatever he has in mind

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Uh, I don't know what to think of this comic anymore. Plot opens up new threads, and never finishes old ones.

• fljaredfljared Registered User new member
    forty wrote: »
    *Groans* Didn't we see almost the exact same not-clever reference like two weeks ago?

I really wish they'd just replaced all references to stores (Unless it's particularly important to the story or the storyteller really wants everyone to know what happened and who did it) to the name of one store representing the collective evils of game companies and stores.

...Videojuegos, Inc.? Path-E-Tech? Comp-U-Comp?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Presumably the stories are submitted in advance a lot of the time, that is, before the last story about Gamestop was posted.

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    If nothing else the repeated Stop for Games thing is a badge of verisimilitude that the Trenches staff aren't altering the stories.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    I read this as Q is actually in love with Cora, and wants to propose marriage, and needs her dad's permission?

Not entirely sense-making but it's the best theory I could come up with.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing that Cora's dad is rich and he's looking for an investor (hence not knowing the details until Cora's dad has input)

• Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Yup, no cancer here then. A distinct lack of electrolytes possibly, but certainly no cancer.

Sgt.Big_Bubbaloola on

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I just read "talk to your dad" as shorthand for "coming on to her". It remains to be seen what he means but that's the impression I got.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    I'm guessing that Cora's dad is rich and he's looking for an investor (hence not knowing the details until Cora's dad has input)

Or Cora's dad has the rights to an IP of some sort.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    DVG wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »

Or Cora's dad has the rights to an IP of some sort.

One of these two things.

• fljaredfljared Registered User new member
    Or maybe daddy's got the copyrights to a famous work he wants to adapt? Or is a famous designer, and Cora's distanced herself from him for some reason?