As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect 3] Ops over and nobody died. Good job, team.

DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does StuffYou Know, There. Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Games and Technology

cerberuslogo.png

unledpev.png
Mass Effect Wiki - Suicide Mission Guide (ME2) - Import Saves (ME1/2 PC & XBOX ONLY) -
Face Codes (ME2)

300pxme3logo.png
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth. Available Everywhere NOW.

List of Origin/XBL/PSN names here! (Join here!)

Join the Steam group!

Xbox Metatag = PennyA ME3

ME3 Pre-Release Videos
Normandy Tour 2 - Normandy Tour - Hijacking an Atlas - Palaven Gameplay - Live Action Trailer - Mars Gameplay - Galaxy Map - CG Trailer - FemShep Trailer - Ruthless and Intelligent Enemies - Adrenaline-Pumping Gameplay - Integrated Storytelling - Customizable Arsenal - Voice Cast - Multiplayer Trailer - James Vega - Tuchanka Gameplay - Squad Leader Gameplay - E3 Trailer - Earth Demo - Sur'Kesh Demo - Reaper Base Demo - Kinect Demo

More Mass Effect

Games!
200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg masseffectgalaxylogo.jpg
200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

Comics!
180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png 180pxmasseffectinvasion.jpg 73322203.png
200pxme2aria.png 43458948.png vegat.png

Books!
230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg 190pxmasseffectdeceptio.png

A motion picture! + An anime!

Community Sundries

@TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one |two| three | FOUR! | FIVE!!

@GoodKingJayIII provided the following way to skip much of the introduction for the PC version of ME2:
A lot of people don't like the opening 10 minute intro movie, but there is a way to get rid of it. Go to:

C:....mass effect 2\BioGameMovies

Change the extension of the following files to .bak:

Opening_End_Seq.bik

Opening_End_SeqFM.bik

Opening_Seq_INT.bik

ProCer_300_FirstFlight.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT.bak

ProNor_Pod2.bik

ProNorEscape.bik

ProNorEscapeAsh.bik

ProNorEscapeKaid.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_ESN.bik

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bak

BWLogo.bak

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt.bik

This will not get rid of everything, you still have to watch the non-CGI cutscenes and Save Joker. But it does cut down quite a bit. If you want those movies back just rename them to .bik again. If you're worried your renaming the wrong thing, you can download a BIK palyer and confirm the files.

3. For those who hate planet scanning and hacking, there is an easy ini file edit floating around. This is just a colaseced editor that you guys have already been playing with but this one seemed pretty idiot proof to me. This again needs an external program but is non-excutable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

This has all kinds of stuff like god mode, extra weapons, infinite ammo etc., but if you just want the money, just use it to get your resources, save, then exit the game and revert to the non-hacked state.

@korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!

bingofinalv2.jpg

@Spoit has a far more simple variation:
me2bingo.jpg

@curly haired boy strikes back with awesome wallpapers taken from the ME2:
@Orca has kindly complied all of the shamelessly awful pictures posted in this thread.

@Orca explains how to transfer ME1 to Origin:
From the other thread, enter your info here: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

then create or link an existing EA classic account. Origin should figure out what's up without you doing anything more at that point.

*If buying ME somewhere other than Origin and it doesn't contain BDTS or PS, contact Origin CS and they can get it fixed for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2mdZ23eP8
-Tal wrote: »

Massive. End. Spoilers. DO NOT CLICK. SERIOUSLY.

From @Yougottawanna a Brilliant dissection as to why the ending is so bad in Red Letter Media Style:
And a followup:
From @manwiththemachinegun SECRET TRUE ENDING HHEYYYYAAA!!!!!

True Last Boss!

Bioware Blog Where official announcements about pending Multiplayer weekend events are made.
MP Build Simulator
Mass Effect 3 MP Weapon Data
Mass Effect 3 MP Wave Composition Chart
For a list of your obtained equipment and their respective levels, check your Bioware Social account. Go to "My Games" and click Mass Effect 3 in the pop-up box and then choose Multiplayer Manifest.

Special thanks to @-Tal for putting together an awesome OP.
The OP has been stolen so many fucking times. We're gonna fill up the OP with credits. :D
OP Shamelessly stolen from @forar who stole it from @The Dude With Herpes who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @forar who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @-Tal
Taramoor wrote: »
The following was posted by a BioWare mod as an apology for the online pass issue, which they're working on.
tumblr_m28k0axzRD1rq5i6do1_500.jpg
830pxinterrupticons.png
And last, but certainly not least: The TRUE Hero of Mass Effect
u8BWP.gif

Dragkonias on

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fresh new thread smell.

So how's the vorcha engineer? I admit the power list seems kinda... janky.

dN0T6ur.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well. If anything he's an excuse to play around with a melee specced Vorcha.

Submission net is great when you just want to punch things.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I remember back when this thread was all about Mass Effect. Just the one game. The OP has gotten so incredibly full since then.

Cross-posting for everyone not following the Mass Effect twitter:
    New Omega DLC Screen Shot! Nyreen, the fierce Turian leader of the Talon mercenary group. http://pic.twitter.com/V31dnRig

If that needs to be spoilered (I would hope not), let me know

dN0T6ur.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I remember back when this thread was all about Mass Effect. Just the one game. The OP has gotten so incredibly full since then.

Actually, this OP is a downsized version of the OP we had to cut down on because the mods said it was getting too big. I remember when it happened, a lot of us were heartbroken when it was erased.

Goodness...the old OP was glorious.

Also...I cannot get over how female turians look. Like for some reason I find them weirder looking than the males.

Dragkonias on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What are the odds that ME4 will be an MMO?

Pretty much null with TOR anywhere near memory.

TOR is actually doing pretty well. It's not WoW levels, but it's a moderate success.

In fact, the only reason I have a spark of hope that ME4 would be an MMO is because Bioware made me love MMOs via TOR...

How well it does or doesn't do wasn't my point. They won't put up another MMO until TOR is done because they're not going to convert one of the non-Austin studios to MMO management or deal with the resources involved or put up an MMO competing against their own or worry further about the MMO market saturation.

ME4 won't be an MMO.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    Really...I have no love at all for MMOs.

And I hate TOR for the fact that it means we might never get a sequel to the single player series.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Eh, After kotor 2 being retconned by lucasarts it would have been a massive disappointment anyway

steam_sig.png
    Look on the bright side, that was Karpyshyn's fault and he wouldn't be involved. (Don't think about the dark side.)

Holding it to KoTOR2's writing would be doom to begin with, though. I'd be satisfied with a good, classic tale like KoTOR and more in Bioware's pedigree. But hey, if Bioware and Obsidian wanted to collaborate like they do in my fantasies theoretically could, I'd be roses.

s7Imn5J.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So what does a fresh thread smell like? I never get anything, and I sniff hard.

Anyway, getting dropped 10 seconds into a game is pretty damn annoying as I had just loaded up on consumables, which I rarely do.

Oh well.

Anybody that's still playing multi, please feel free to add me. I've started playing again recently, but I rarely have any friends online.

I'll even be getting a microphone soon! Promise!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Chris Avellone working with the BioWare writers to work out a cool Star Wars game, with good game mechanics to boot?

I don't think I could take it.

dN0T6ur.png
    Well the sissification of the exile was karpyshn, yes, but they spent a whole 9 book series retconning the similar ideas to kreia's from one book of the EU

steam_sig.png
    Kreia's ideas are still canon for me

EU doesn't count anymore anyway, heh

Suckers

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Kreia's ideas are still canon for me

EU doesn't count anymore anyway, heh

Suckers

It doesn't?

Did Disney say that?

In my heart.

Also the likelihood of Episode 7 doing anything less than annihilating everything post-RotJ in the EU is next to zero.

dN0T6ur.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Eh, no more MMOs for me... here's hoping it's not one. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    A Mass Effect MMO would be like printing money for EA.

Knowing how much EA likes money, is there any way we are not getting a Mass Effect MMO ?

Fairchild wrote: »
    A Mass Effect MMO would be like printing money for EA.

Knowing how much EA likes money, is there any way we are not getting a Mass Effect MMO ?

...people said the same thing about TOR.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Ugh

The vorcha engineer is terribad.

Tried a powers build with maxed cooldowns. Melee damage is terrible, even when it's not dodged the net tends to miss, doesn't do much damage, and incinerate alone is just not very compelling.

Then I tried to respec, skipped incinerate, and tried for a net, gun & melee build. The melee damage still seems -awful- for some reason, the net is of course still totally undependable, and with nothing to get you that first kill or two seemingly anything can drop you while you're trying to get close enough towards them to melee.

There's just nothing the vorcha engineer is good at.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I want to believe a Mass Effect MMO could be good.

I just have no idea on how to make it so, though.

I'd say give him a Reegar to get bloodlust going

But at that point might as well just use the Soldier or Sentinel

dN0T6ur.png
    edited November 2012
    I gave him the Talon with the melee mod and heavy barrel.

Works pretty good.

Dragkonias on
    I still don't understand the reegar

Like, I see people using it extremely successfully.

And I know how they equip it and everything.

Then I use it and it does jack

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    edited November 2012
    Kana wrote: »

Umm...

Usually just give it the magazine mod and the damage mod.

Or if you don't care about spare ammo just give it the AP mod and damage mod.

Then melt faces.

That said it is best suited for classes that can get in close and stay in.

That said it is one of the best guns in the game.

Dragkonias on
    That's what I'm saying!

I shoot at peeps and nothing happens and I don't know why!

Only thing I can think of is you're not close enough.

The Reegar is like...really short range.

But it kills...believe me it does.

Are you getting the hit indicator?

steam_sig.png

The range is further than the animation would suggest

But until you get used to that, start using it from vorcha/batarian/krogan heavy melee range.

dN0T6ur.png
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    That's what I'm saying!

I shoot at peeps and nothing happens and I don't know why!

I'd almost say that the AP mods or ammo are almost mandatory if you're going for big damage on the Reeger. It's absolutely devastating vs. shields and barriers but really nothing to write home vs. armor about unless you've got something to help get through it. Especially if you're playing gold or above.

It's limited ammo can be a problem, try to keep to burst fires instead of pray and spraying. I mean, yeah, it's tempting to go full-on Raiden with that thing, but the limited ammo of the lower levels can really be a hindrance.

Headshots are still important, don't neglect them especially vs. bosses and elites.

Play a kit that has good bonuses to shotguns and weapon damage. A Vorcha with damage specced bloodlust, a Krogan or Batarian specced for shotguns. Use gear that increases shotgun damage.

If none of that helps then yeah, you're probably not firing it close enough.

I think it's a problem with playing it in 800x600. There's a lot of visual glitches that happen from stuff like visual overlays, and I feel like what's prolly happening is it's not actually firing where it LOOKS like it's firing.

It especially happens when a dude is really close.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Cross-posting for everyone not following the Mass Effect twitter:
    New Omega DLC Screen Shot! Nyreen, the fierce Turian leader of the Talon mercenary group. http://pic.twitter.com/V31dnRig

If that needs to be spoilered (I would hope not), let me know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_rXZ381vo

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    There's just nothing the vorcha engineer is good at.

Canonically this shouldn't be surprising.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    "I told you to make fans, not break....you know what? Nevermind..."

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Vorcha engineering is a lot like Krogan ballet. It's far less interesting than it sounds, and involves nearly as much friendly fire.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it has kind of an ill-conceived moveset. Any of the passive shield classes have a hard time relying on powers because of the cooldown penalties, and the vorcha engineer doesn't have much it can do aside from submission net/incinerate combos. If you want to use the powers you need a comically light loadout to get even average cooldowns, and it you want to load it up with weapons you might as well play some other flavor of vorcha or a batarian.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    For the Vorcha Engineer, Incinerate and Bloodlust is what you want to have 6 ranks in. Incinerate is his anti armor ability instead of flamer, and while it does quite a bit less damage it's obviously usable at much longer ranges.

As for the submission net, I'm not sure myself. If you put six ranks into it and go all-out on damage than it's decent against shields, but that's it. Electric net and incapacitate seem to be the better option - but even then they're very situational so this is where you want to skip points primarely. Armor slowing is pretty hady for Praetorians and Brutes mostly, but also not bat against Atlases and Primes.

You could actually forgoe Fitness or points in Bloodlust - since this class has no range-dependency for its effectiveness unlike the other two Vorcha - and just be more defensive.

If anything this class - along with the BatSent - prove that Submission Net could use some love/overhaul aka Singularity. Maybe make it prime multiple tech bursts instead of just one or something, or at least make it slow down all enemies by 35-40%.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    He'd work better with more shields. Maybe even the usual 500/500 shield health defaults. I could put 3 points in bloodlust as a heal skill, and toggle it as necessary. Then focus primarily on casting incinerate and submission net with bloodlust off, to avoid the substantial 60% cooldown penalty.

What I really want is a vorcha vanguard. Bloodlust, charge, and annihilation field would be dreamy.

Arteen on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    EDIT:

Bloodlust DOES have a cooldown penalty

Why did no one ever tell me?!

I always just assumed Bloodlust = free stuff

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    He'd work better with more shields. Maybe even the usual 500/500 shield health defaults. I could put 3 points in bloodlust as a heal skill, and toggle it as necessary. Then focus primarily on casting incinerate and submission net with bloodlust off, to avoid the substantial 60% cooldown penalty.

What I really want is a vorcha vanguard. Bloodlust, charge, and annihilation field would be dreamy.

As long as it was done correctly. And by correctly I mean charge has a 40% chance to work correctly, 35% chance to charge a different target entirely, and 25% chance to just hiss and gurgle uncontrollably while slamming into a wall.

edited November 2012
    Arteen wrote: »

The idea of Charge and Annihilation Field together is why we'll never get AF as a bonus power in single player. Charge, Nova, roll, charge, Nova - it'd be the worst massacre of all time.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png