As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trying to wean myself off dairy and grains.

2»

• LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
    My experience of going off the grains was so hard, as I'm sure it would be. I loved bread, like, loooooooved bread. The first week was rough. Tired and cranky a lot, but then I started to force myself to try vegetables I wasn't used to and try to make them super tasty (aka spicy).
    If you can find some Almond Flour/Meal you can make some awesome paleo pancakes. It's definitely a process and once you get through that first week, it really becomes second nature to just avoid wheat and dairy. Hope that helps you!

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
    3DS: 2836-0103-2102
    M1GZYUT.jpg
  • superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    Tree nuts are fine. Almonds, walnuts, macadamias, pistachios, etc. in moderation due to calorie content.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm both trying Paleo and learning to cook right now. I'm not good at cooking yet but I enjoy it already. :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    for the record, don't worry about becoming lactose intolerant from not eating dairy. I didn't eat any dairy for 6 years, and then when I went to Italy I started eating it all the time, it was totally fine.

I generally have cut grains out of my diet except for dinner. Even then, I don't eat as much as I used to. In our society we are given a pretty heinous amount of food when we go out to eat (Chipotle, etc.) to satisfy our eyes and not our bodies. Over time, you'll notice your stomach shrinking (back to it's normal state) and you'll be fine eating smaller amounts of food.

If I eat for lunch what I used to eat 2 or 3 months ago, I get completely incapacitated.

Also you don't need to replace dairy with soy. You can get all the stuff you would get from dairy from the same place cows get it, very leafy green stuff. You should do your own research on what you need to eat to stay healthy so you are informed and not just parroting someone else.

also multivitamins!

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Most cows we eat are eating a feed base of corn and soy. So eating soy IS getting the protein from same place as cows are getting it. Unless you're paying $20/lb for grass-fed, in which case we aren't ruminants.

• superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've started to make the switch over to grass fed beef and the same goes for butter. Over the last week I've started to slowly phase out the grains from my diet and other than a cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal in the morning with my eggs and blueberries I might only eat grains 2 or 3 dinners a week and they're usually down to a slice of bread or a potato. Goal is still to get that down even further but it looks like the cold turkey approach isn't going to be my cup of tea, but rather a slow phase out of them from my diet. I might backslide and splurge every now and then but to be honest, when I'm not eating a ton of grains and sugars I feel a lot more alert and have more energy after a couple days of letting my body adjust.

Also, Chipotle has been my savior if I feel like eating out because I can get their salad with steak and chicken, veggies, salsa, and guacamole and they have a pretty good policy of buying local and relatively clean food as opposed to my other options around here which are Subway and McDonald's.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Maybe you are hungry. That diet sounds great for weight loss but if you are not overweight you might have problems. Even primitive hunter-gatherer tribes always have some sort of carb staple, unless they are in the tundra and only eat meat. Are sweet potatoes natural enough?

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    grains have fiber

so if your goal is something resembling paleo then grains are not exactly worthless... especially whole grain foods... high fiber high vitamin content...

imo it would be pretty ridiculous to give up grain completely

what you want is to give up stuff like white bread and simple pastas and such

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Absolutely. Quantity is more important too, don't eat tons and tons of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I've gone back and forth with the Paleo thing a few times now and it's been pretty great, I just have a little trouble sticking to it so It ends up being more of a one month on two off kind of thing. My diet has gotten much better as a result, but my question is for you Hummus people (which isn't entirely paleo, but still...)

What do you eat it on if you give up grains? Do you just dip celery in it? I haven't found anything to eat with Hummus that tastes good.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I'm not Paleo or anything but I avoid chips, crackers, etc. I use carrots (either sticks or baby). I also can use it as a topping on burgers, a dip for chicken, anything like that.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Carrots, celery, peppers, broccoli & asparagus are all really good with hummus

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Celery.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If you don't like hummus with vegetables, hummus may not be for you.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I have never found anything with which I liked hummus and finally realized that I just really don't like it. If I want to dip carrots or celery or apples in something, I would rather use peanut butter, personally.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Also drink a lot of water. Whatever your drinking, it's likely not enough for a diet change. Add a couple glasses of water.

This can never be stressed enough. Water is the great equalizer in all diets. No matter if I'm changing jobs, changing workouts, changing diet or changing the channel, I drink water (as well as other things) at every major meal and at all snack times. It aids in smoothing out any tender stomach issues I have for any reason.

As a side note, lots of really healthy fruits and veggies have acids that can damage the enamel on your teeth. If you can't make a trip to brush your teeth, rinsing with a mouthful of water can help to dilute those acids and keep them from creating dental issues. I like to carry a reusable sports bottle for that very reason.

If people start giving you shit and calling you 'Water Weirdo' just smile with all of those teeth you'll keep past 60.

Hey I don't mean to thread hijack but I've gone back and forth with the Paleo thing a few times now and it's been pretty great, I just have a little trouble sticking to it so It ends up being more of a one month on two off kind of thing. My diet has gotten much better as a result, but my question is for you Hummus people (which isn't entirely paleo, but still...)

What do you eat it on if you give up grains? Do you just dip celery in it? I haven't found anything to eat with Hummus that tastes good.

Try Baba Ghanoush. It's kind of like hummus but more Paleo/Primal. Also it's delicious. And yeah, I use veggies to eat it with. Or my hands. because it's that good.

Also for dipping/spreads. Tahini sauce. Basically, use tahini and mix it with some lemon juice, water, garlic, maybe a little radish or parsley if that suits you. I use it on pretty much everything when I make some.

Also, the grains are getting phased out. Don't want to get into a whole debate on whether or not it's healthy to not have grains in your diet, but veggies have plenty of fiber and way more vitamins than grains.

zepherin wrote: »
    Also drink a lot of water. Whatever your drinking, it's likely not enough for a diet change. Add a couple glasses of water.

This can never be stressed enough. Water is the great equalizer in all diets. No matter if I'm changing jobs, changing workouts, changing diet or changing the channel, I drink water (as well as other things) at every major meal and at all snack times. It aids in smoothing out any tender stomach issues I have for any reason.

As a side note, lots of really healthy fruits and veggies have acids that can damage the enamel on your teeth. If you can't make a trip to brush your teeth, rinsing with a mouthful of water can help to dilute those acids and keep them from creating dental issues. I like to carry a reusable sports bottle for that very reason.

If people start giving you shit and calling you 'Water Weirdo' just smile with all of those teeth you'll keep past 60.

Water and tea are my staples. No problems with getting enough of that in my diet. I drink around 4 cups of green tea a day and probably another 4-8 glasses of water in addition to that if I'm not working out, more if I am.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular

veggies with some tooth to them: carrot, celery, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflour. you may need to jazz up your hummus (more garlic, cayenne, change the tahini:garbanzo bean ratio). You may just not like hummus.

You might try the same dippers with the following: canned cannelloni or navy beans, canned tuna, salt, olive oil, garlic (and whichever amendments like cayenne and whatnot). Buzz it down in a processor and you'll get a protein dense paste (lovely) which I use like dip much like hummus. You might see similar in spain/italy served on crostini or paired with a hummus and/or tapenade for small plates or tapas.