As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dresden Files RPG: Low Profile IC

SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
The stench of rotting meat inside of the the warehouse was overpowering. Slabs of beef suspended in midair from talon-like hooks swayed sickeningly rattling the chains that were keeping them aloft. Hurricane Sandy had caused blackouts all over the city and without the refrigiration unit within a few days this room had become a hot box.

With no power the only available source of light was the battered kerosene lantern near the center of the room. Casting its dim flickering glow it illuminated a collection of tattered old sleeping bags. Some rusty cans and shredded candy wrappers had been discarded next to the makeshift campsite along with a collection of large bones that looked as though they'd been gnawed on by dogs. Two small children were huddled together on top of the sleeping bags as close to the lantern as they could get. Both of them were still wearing that tattered remains of the costumes they'd gone out trick or treating in less than a week ago. The older child, a girl who couldn't have been more than then, was clutching the small boy in her arms to her chest in a grip that must have been painful. The boy was sobbing quietly while his sister patted him on the back and pressed his face into her shoulder hiding his eyes.

Horrible cackling laughter echoed throughout the room as sets of pale yellow eyes appeared and disappeared circling but staying outside the lantern's light. Every so often a brief glimpse of something large and shaggy emerged from the darkness only to vanish a split second later.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
GM of Dresden Files Low Life
GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
GM of Wyvern Watch
Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Francis set his jaw and a rumbling growl came from deep in his chest. He strode across the warehouse floor to stand over the terrified kids. "Stay close you two, I'll protect you!"

His wand was out and his blue eyes peered into the shifting darkness. The air around him began to smell the same as a gathering thunderstorm.

He just needed a target.
    Alertness: 4dF+1 -1

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dread__CthulhuDread__Cthulhu Registered User regular
    George wrinkled his nose at the stench and advanced into light, standing back to back with the wizard, dropping into a defensive crouch.

He peers into the shifting darkness with his owl-light vision, keeping his back to the lantern.

• CalaCala Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Seeing that Francis has the kids covered, Ethan takes out his sidearm and stealthily makes his way through the darkness hoping to get into a flanking position around the gnolls.
    Stealth: 4dF+2 3
    Alertness: 4dF+2 2

Ethan's first instinct was to stand with the children but he knew the wizard could hold his own and he didn't want to be in the immediate vicinity once the spells started flying.

Cala on
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3774909/

ALertness+3 with two successes = +5 Superb

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    At the sight of the terrified children, red began to creep in at the edges of Nick's vision. He felt himself grinding his teeth, and tried to take a calming breath. He moved to place himself between the kids and anything that might dart out of the darkness. "Francis. If you have the kids covered, I'll get my game face on."

Nick unbuttoned the top of his flannel shirt, and pulled it off over his head. It fell to the wet floor, already forgotten, as his hands curled into fists.
    Alertness in the warehouse: 4dF+5 5. 6 if Echoes of the Beast (keen sense of smell) applies. Not sure it would here, this place seems pretty odoriferous.

jdarksun on
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    As Ethan started moving into the darkness a creature that had been plucked from some sort of nightmare stepped into his path. It walked on all fours and Ethan didn't need a vision from Themis to tell him that the claws on its feet were more than capable of ripping him to shreds. The yellowish fur that covered its body was thick and matted. As the Gnoll opened its mouth the smell of putrid meat washed over the agent of Themis and it threatened to overhwlem him. The creature had two rows of knife-like teeth that it was barring in a sickening smile. Reddish drool dribbled from its mouth as it advanced on him laughing.
    Gnoll Pack Alertness: 4dF+ 3= 3

Initiative Order:
    Nick
    George
    Gnolls
    Ethan
    Francis

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    With a shudder, Nick began to change. His body swelled, muscles rippling beneath his skin, fur sprouting forth in great tufts. He stumbled as his height doubled, falling forward onto paws twice the size of a human head. The great creature shook itself, settling its now massive bulk, and bellowed forth a roar of challenge from a face that sprouted a long, broad muzzle.
    Wasn't sure if I could try and attack the gnolls on top of shapeshifting, so I'll wait for clarification until I go any farther.

Nick-as-bear charged the nearest gnoll, swiping at it with a massive paw.
    Fists: Great (+4) vs. Athletics +4 (wash)
    Fists vs. Athletics to hit a gnoll: 4dF -2

Did I do that right? Seems like a massive bear should have a pretty good chance to hit stuff.

Cackling like a madman the gnoll leapt out from beneath Nick's paw which struck the cement floor whard enough to send a spiderweb-like network of cracks through the cement.
    Just for an example
    Gnoll athletics roll to dodge Nick's attack, 4df+4= 5.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    George stands back to back with Francis, scanning into the darkness with his owl-like eyes. "This is another fine mess, Frank."

Slowly backing away slighty, Ethan calls out to George. "Perhaps this may be a good time to switch to your game face? I would switch mine but alas, I'm stuck with this handsome face my mother bestowed upon me. I'm rather fond of it though and would prefer to not have it torn to shreds by the creature in front of me."

edited November 2012
    George shucks his oversized T-shirt, his body shrinking and warping until a large horned owl is left, launching itself into the air.

Dread__Cthulhu on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Francis grinned as the owl gained altitude. Before he was out of earshot, the wizard said, "You didn't have to come along George. I'm sure you had a test to study for or some frat party to crash. At least this isn't as bad as last year."

The grin faded, "Go for the eyes." He said grimly.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Francis, Nick, George, and Ethan

Gnolls leapt out of the darkness attempting to overwhelm the group standing between them and their prey by force of numbers. Three of the brutes leapt onto Nick’s massive shoulders biting and scratching at his dark fur as they did their best to rip him to shreds.

“Look out!” The girl cried tugging at the small boy she was holding as two of the gnolls charged towards Francis.

One of the gnolls leapt down from a teetering tower of stacked pallets and snapped at George in an attempt seize the owl with its dagger-like teeth.

The last member of the pack kept its eyes on the gun Ethan’s hands before it snapped at his leg
    Gnoll 1 Melee Attack (Fists) against Ethan 4df+2= -1
    Gnoll 2 Melee Attack (Fists) against Francis 4df+2= +1
    Gnoll 3 Melee Attack (Fists) against George 4df+2= +3
    Gnoll 4 Melee Attack (Fists) against Nick 4df+2= +5
    Gnoll 5 Melee Attack (Fists) against Nick 4df+2= +4
    Gnoll 6 Melee Attack (Fists) against Nick 4df+2= +5
    Gnoll 7 Melee Attack (Fists) against Francis 4df+2= +4

The gnolls fangs and claws each count as a Weapon: 2, adding two points of stress to any stress they inflict. I will let you guys roll your own defenses, you can use fists, athletics, or in Francis's case fend them off with your shield. Whatever you wish.

Li Mei Feng

Empty beer cans, leaves, and a collection of refuse littered the gently lapping water filling the Washington Highlands Community Pool. The pool had been closed since late August but the hurricane had refilled it since then, and locals had taken to breaking in at night to swim. A few of the teenagers trespassers had died last night, but the police had dismissed the case as nothing more than an unfortunate accident. One boy had broken his neck, according to the coroner, and the police had determined that he’d slipped and fallen. His friends had both drowned, but their deaths were attributed to the large amount of alcohol found in their systems.

Li Mei Feng bounded over the fence surrounding the pool without the slightest bit of difficulty and landed on the leaf strewn cement near the edge of the water. One of the drowning victims had been her student, and no matter what she refused to believe that he would have drank himself into a stupor. Peering into the brackish water she noticed it rippling as something flitted around beneath the surface. A monkey-like face covered in slimy hair bobbed to the surface smiling at her.

“Come for a swim young one?” The kappa curled one of its long fingers at Li Mei beckoning her closer.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    "Seems dangerous," Li Mei said furtively, edging closer to the water. "I don't think I should take a swim with a weird fish-monkey thing late at night in a closed pool."

The Chinese girl stopped a few feet short of the pool, kicked off her sandals daintily, and sat down yoga-style, eyeing the creature.
    Lore: 4dF 1 with a +1 Lore means a result of Fair which i reckon would be good enough to at least identify the creature and its proclivities

Mei was fairly certain she had found the culprit responsible for the murders (that's what they were) but she had to be one hundred percent sure... and the only way to do that was to spring its trap.

She scuttled a little bit closer to the water's edge and dipped her toes in. The girl wore a curious yet cautious expression as she twirled a stray lock around a finger. "What are you, anyway?"
    Athletics maneuver: 4dF -2 with an Athletics of 6 is still enough to execute the maneuver, placing the temporary aspect Primed to Act on herself

The kappa swam across the pool propelled by its long spidery arms until it was within a few inches of Li Mei. "I am a kappa little fish."
    The creature is a kappa, they are a common supernatural predtor in Japan, a bit like ghouls, and the Jade Court will employ their services from time to time. They have also been allying themselves with the Fomor since the fall of the Red Court. They must feed on blood regularly and they prefer to target children when possible. They have to stay close to the water so they usually drown their victims.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    edited November 2012
    George wheels in the air to avoid the gnoll's teeth!

Dread__Cthulhu on
    Hulking Size - Easy to Hit, Hard to Hurt. +1 bonus to the Gnoll's hit chance.
    Inhuman Speed - Athletic Ability. +1 to Athletics checks.
    Good (+3) Athletics

Dodging Gnoll 4: 4dF+3 3, success w/ 2 shifts
    Dodging Gnoll 5: 4dF+3 4, success w/ 0 shifts
    Dodging Gnoll 6: 4dF+3 4, success w/ 1 shift

All attacks are Weapon: 2.

Supernatural Toughness - Harder to Hurt. Armor: 2

Result:
    Physical Stress: xxoooooooo

I'm not sure how the 0 shift result is resolved.

The massive bear spins in circles, rattling chains and setting rotting meat to swaying, in the attempt to dislodge the gnolls as they clamp down on its furry pelt.

edited November 2012
    Li Mei saw her opportunity as soon as the Kappa got within arm's reach. With speed well beyond any normal human she grabbed the monster by its neck and hauled it out of the water, slamming it roughly to the deck facedown, its spindly limbs pulled back at an awkward angle.

The Monkey Princess let her glamor fall and leaned down so the creature could get a good look at her.

"Been eating free lunches in my realm, yaojing. Hurting my kids. I want to know why."

She pressed down on the kappa just a little bit harder.
    posting from phone is hard. i rolled using my phone fate dice app and got a 2 plus tagging ready for action for another 2 plus li mei's might, which with supernatural strength is at least a 7. needless to say i think its sufficient to manhandle the kappa a little bit

Super Namicchi on
    edited November 2012
    Ethan takes a quick backstep to stay out of the reach of the approaching gnoll.
    Athletics: 4dF+4 5

Dodging the gnoll's teeth, Ethan quickly snaps a shot off at it.
    Guns: 4dF+4 3

Cala on
    edited November 2012
    Francis moved to stand between the charging beasts and the children. He extends his left hand, palm held out; the gold thread of his embroidered silk glove was shining brightly.

The power gathered by his mind was shaped and directed by the enchanted glove he wore. As he had so many times before, Francis spoke the command word to release the mystic energy into the form he demanded.

"Plūsma!"

The water and other fluids on the floor of the warehouse responds to the magic word. A solid wall of liquid snaps into being directly in the path of the gnolls. The raving beasts try to charge through the new barrier, but are held fast as if trying to move through a mighty river. With another gesture from the magician, the water becomes a roiling mass of whitewater, ejecting the gnolls with great force. The two fly across the building, their passage disturbing hanging chains and putrefying meat, before finally bouncing to a stop.
    Using my Shield spell rote. taking a 1-mental stress hit.

Both attacks blocked.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2012

The monstrous creature bounding towards Ethan yelped sharply and then fell onto its side dead midstride. Blood poured freely from the bullet wound in the thing's skull pooling beneath it. The gnoll snapping after George sniffed loudly and turned its head towards the fallen pack member. Leaping atop the body it began tearing at the gnolls side ravenously.

Undeterred by Nick's thrashing the trio of gnolls attacking him sank their teeth into the were-bear's back and limbs shaking their heads with their savage strength.
    Gnoll 1 Athletics to dodge Ethan's gunshot: 1d4+5= 1. So, assuming Ethan is carrying a standard pistol and nothing nastier, the gnoll take 4 physical stress. These guys only have 3 so that gnoll is taken out. Good job Cala.

Fun fact about gnolls, they're a bit like sharks. Once there is blood on the floor they don't care so much about who it is coming from. They've been known to feed on wounded pack members.

jDarksun I think the 0 stress would count as a hit but it just had no effect. Go you for being a big tough guy who can shrug stuff off.

Li Mei Feng

The kappa struggled in Li Mei's grip, although the water slick scales covering his body made it somewhat difficult to keep her grip the Monkey Princess was more than a match for the demon's wiry strength. Now that she'd drawn the beast out of the water Li Mei noticed that its torso was wrapped in a tortise-like shell. As she pressed her foot into the kappa's back the shell cracked audibly and he howled in pain.

"The Fomor tasked me with delivering a message, a warning to one who stands in their path. I am merely their instrument!"

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    "So you come to my neighborhood and kill my students? Bad life choice." Li Mei pressed the demon into the concrete just a little more. "You get to keep your shell in one piece, kappa-sama, if you tell me what you know."

The kappa's simian face screwed up in agony. "Anything! I owe the Fomor nothing, besides they never warned me I would face one such as you. Spare my life and I will fill your ears with their secrets!"

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    "Never come back here and you have a deal."
    i'll take that compel

"Agreed."

Li Mei released the kappa and stepped back allowing the pitiful creature to slip away from her. At once he thrust his head back into the murky waters of the pool reemerging an instant later with water dripping from his shaggy features. Crouching on the cement before her he rubbed his arms in an effort to restore the flow of blood to his extremities. As his webbed hands moved along his forearm the Monkey Princess noticed that his wrists looked as though they'd been scalded in hot water.

"I was afforded only a brief audience with the Fomor prince, but his courtiers were abuzz with rumors. Many of his soldiers have deserted him of late, which may have been what forced him to seek me out. It is said that they go mad and take up arms in the service of a new master."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    edited November 2012
    Sakutian wrote: »

The monstrous creature bounding towards Ethan yelped sharply and then fell onto its side dead midstride. Blood poured freely from the bullet wound in the thing's skull pooling beneath it. The gnoll snapping after George sniffed loudly and turned its head towards the fallen pack member. Leaping atop the body it began tearing at the gnolls side ravenously.

Undeterred by Nick's thrashing the trio of gnolls attacking him sank their teeth into the were-bear's back and limbs shaking their heads with their savage strength.

George wheels around and strikes at one of the gnolls attacking Nick from behind, trying to sink his claws into the scruffy creature's hide!
    http://orokos.com/roll/85430

Fists 2 + Weapon 2 - 4 = 0,

Dread__Cthulhu on
    Stepping back from the dead gnoll, Ethan calls out, "you ok over there papa bear? Give me a sec and I'll scratch that itch on your back."

"A new master? I guess you wouldn't have a name."

The simpering, wheedling response was answer enough. Li Mei sighed and stepped back. "Remember our bargain, friend Kappa."

The expression on the blonde woman's delicate features spoke volumes of what would happen should the predator return.

edited November 2012
    Taking hold of the free-floating magic left over from his shield, Francis redirects the energy and the water it had commanded to new purpose. Drawing power up from his own reserves, the wizard combines it with the ambient magic and spends it all to twist local reality into a form of his choosing.

"Lietus!" And three streams of water erupt from his wand and arrow towards their intended targets.
    Discipline (controlling 7 shift spell): 4dF+7 8 Success!

Splitting the target roll and resulting Weapon:7 hit amongst three of the gnolls.
    Target 1: +3 to hit, Weapon:2
    Target 2: +3 to hit, Weapon:2
    Target 3: +2 to hit, Weapon:3

Defense Rolls:Athletics (Avoiding Francis's spell): 4dF+5 5 4dF+5 2 4dF+5 5

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png

As the were-owl lashed out the gnoll it thrashed its large head violently in an attempt to avoid the flapping bird meancing its eyes.

One of the gnolls that had charged Francis was struck by the jet of water he'd conjured and sent flying backwards. It struck several hanging slabs of beef as it flew through the air and rattled heavy chains until it final struck the wall and slumped down to the floor. The other gnolls leapt out of the path of the rushing water barking and rounding on the wizard for a fresh assault.
    Gnoll dodge against Nick's attack: 4df+5= 6
    Gnoll 2 is taken out by Francis's attack. Nice work, only five of the beasts remain standing.

Li Mei

"I did hear one other thing of note before I left the Fomor." The kappa slid back into the pool without making a splash. "They'd already planned an ambush for four of their enemies some time before my arrival. A pack of gnolls are to slay a wizard, a human police officer, and two shape-shifters. I assume you're familiar with them."

"They were lured to a grocery store near the grand cathedral, if you hurry you might be able to save one of them." He laughed a barking laugh and then vanished beneath the water.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    Frustrated by the vague itch on his back, the great bear attempts to dislodge the gnolls the best way he knows how - by rolling over on them.
    I'm looking to put an "Off-balance" or "Stunned" Aspect on one or more of the gnolls currently chewing on my back. Can I do that to all three of them at once, or just one at a time?

Might +5 v Athletics? +4
    Nick the Bear rolls over some gnolls: 4dF+5 4

gnoll reacts to getting rolled on: 4dF+4 6

Damn.

edited November 2012
    With a frustrated screech, the owl beats its wings, gaining altitude for another attack!
    http://orokos.com/roll/85931

Athletics 0 + 0 = 0 Mediocre

Dread__Cthulhu on
    edited November 2012
    "Enough!" A voice echoed throughout the freezer and the gnolls froze where they stood. Stepping out of the darkness a woman with blonde shoulder length hair surveryed the scene with a neutral expression. She wore a t-shirt beneath a denim jacket and a pair of designer jeans, but her feet were bare. She stopped and knelt down next to the fallen body of the gnoll Francis had just killed. The other gnolls walked over to her with their ears down and their tails between their legs whimpering like frightened dogs. One by one she stroked each of them as they passed her and then she stood up. Stepping further into the light of the lantern her face became clear. If not for the fercious expression contorting her face she would have been quite beautiful.

"I will allow the beasts to take the children from here in exchange for the wizard and the mortal. If you refuse these terms I prmoise that none of you will leave this place alive."
    Cala I'm going to compel Ethan's Spider-Man Keychain aspect. If he is willing to offer himself to the gnolls he'll gain a fate point.

jdarksun I'm going to Compel Nick's Were-Bear Guardian of the Needy aspect. If he puts the safety of the children ahead of Francis and Ethan he will gain a fate point.

Destroyah I'm also going to Compel Francis's Out of His Depth aspect. If he's willing to offer himself up to the gnolls he will also gain a fate point.

Dread-Cthulhu I am going to Compel George's the Good Shephard aspect. If he is will to leave his friends behind in order to escort the children to safety he will gain a fate point.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
    Taking in the new situation, Ethan hesitates for a moment before lowering his gun. Glancing over at the children to reaffirm his conviction, Ethan calls out "What guarantee do we have that you won't simply renege on your promise and attack us? How about you tell us more about who you are so we know whether to trust you? You clearly know who I am so you know I'm good for my word if I give myself up."

With the retreat of the gnolls, Nick slid out of his animal form and walked to Ethan's side. He spoke to the interloper, his voice clear and loud. "Define 'exchange'. Are you going to eat them?"

He turned his head to the side, raising his hand to his mouth as if to cover a cough. Nick spoke low and quiet to Ethan. "If she takes you, I can track you and Francis."

Ethan gives a slight nod at Nick's words and surreptitiously scratches his face while plucking a small Hair and letting it fall to the floor by Nicks feet. "In case you need a wizard to find us with."

Francis returned his wand to a hidden pocket in his vest and nodded, "If you promise the children will come to no more harm, I will go with you peacefully."

He moved close to George and spoke quietly to the man, trusting his stagecraft to hide the quick exchange, "Make sure the kids get home safe. Then track us from the air, if you can. I smell a trap."

steam_sig.png
    Francis returned his wand to a hidden pocket in his vest and nodded, "If you promise the children will come to no more harm, I will go with you peacefully."

He moved close to George and spoke quietly to the man, trusting his stagecraft to hide the quick exchange, "Make sure the kids get home safe. Then track us from the air, if you can. I smell a trap."

George pulls himself together and nods in agreement.

"Neither I nor any member of my pack will harm you little oracle. You have made yourselves enemies of the Fomor and Morc is eager to show you what becomes of his enemies. I look forward to seeing what torture he has in mind for the two of you." The woman smiled cruelly at them.
    Francis gains a Fate point.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch