As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This week on XBLA: Marathon: Durandal (and some chess or whatever)

• SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have never seen anyone use legacy and be vaguely proficient. wow. Craziness.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Seriously, every Xbox FPS needs Legacy. Fuck, even Doom 3 had it.

The only other FPS on a console without legacy was Half Life 2, but I forced myself through just for the game (I hope they added it in for the 360 version)

Legacy?

EDIT: Oh, a control scheme. I usually stick to whatever the default is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007

wanna fight about it?

FyreWulff on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Some of the better Halo players I know use Legacy.

I think they're just fucked in the head personally - all you Legacy players are - but if it works for you, then fine. Be fucked in the head. See if I care. :-P (BTW, didn't GRAW also have Legacy missing upon release, or something?)

Getting a bit more on topic, somewhere I heard that they have the actual controller logic from Halo 2 in there (Marathonized, of course), which is why it feels rather familiar.

rufo on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    They did say Bungie helped them out with the controls. Which I do agree are really fine tuned.

FyreWulff on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm dissapointed to hear the motion sickness still rears it's ugly head.

Not that that's ever stopped me from playing before.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    This is the game that made me name my computers after Marathon AIs. <3

Echo on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    what kind of time did this originally launch in the Doom/DN3D/Quake timeline? Because i know these are re-made HD visuals and all that, but there's some awesome stuff in there that just makes Doom look pathetic, so i'm assuming it came out some time after. But yeah, i'm looking forward to completing this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Launched in 1996 I believe

Also how long till "someone" gets a hold of the HD textures and puts them on the web

Durandal Infinity on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The first marathon game was 94, while I think the 2nd one was late 95. Having access to Mac's and not PC's, I was somewhat limited as to what I could choose to play, but the series (I've no idea what was going on in Marathon infinity, but maybe a revisit would help that out) was one of my favorite I think I've ever played.

Co-op was awesome fun (damn you purple marines!) as was deathmatch. I played with a guy though that thought Doom was better because.....you don't have to aim up or down.

I don't think there was anything as satisfying as the shotguns in this game...maybe the exception of shooting something from a distance with a single pistol shot (I don't think there was an autoaim in this was there?)

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played it last night for the first time. It's good. A lot of people were telling me that they got motion sickness, though. I think they were just complaining because I was kicking their butts.

Samphis on
    edited August 2007
    no motion-sickness for me, but yeah, compared to Doom, this is much more my kind of thing, and seems far more advanced, with like, underwater bits and aiming up and down.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The first marathon game was 94, while I think the 2nd one was late 95. Having access to Mac's and not PC's, I was somewhat limited as to what I could choose to play, but the series (I've no idea what was going on in Marathon infinity, but maybe a revisit would help that out) was one of my favorite I think I've ever played.

Co-op was awesome fun (damn you purple marines!) as was deathmatch. I played with a guy though that thought Doom was better because.....you don't have to aim up or down.

I don't think there was anything as satisfying as the shotguns in this game...maybe the exception of shooting something from a distance with a single pistol shot (I don't think there was an autoaim in this was there?)

What was going on in Marathon: Infinity -
    If you recall towards the end of Marathon 2, the Phfor attack fleet uses a weapon to destroy L'hwhon's star. Well, unfortunatly something called a W'rkcacntr (sp?) was trapped within that star and the battle between Durandal and the Phfor fleet released it. Infinity is about the player character hopping through various alternate timelines trying to find the one path that will prevent the release of the creature

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hell, screw this new fangled controller stuff, I say we download this off Bungie.org and get a few games goin!
    I'M WITH YA, BROTHER!

(I don't have the money to get it off live. )
    Turkey wrote: »
    So, how's the local multiplayer? Is there co-op? And if so, how many players?

Yes. Multiplayer. PA + Marathon Mulitplayer = win.

(That means we have to go play some multiplayer.)

penguin5201 on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've read that turning "Camera Bob" to on helps against motion sickness, though I haven't had any myself while playing.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've read that turning "Camera Bob" to on helps against motion sickness, though I haven't had any myself while playing.

I've tried playing the game both ways, and although I really haven't had any motion sickness problems either, I found playing with Camera Bob "on" more preferable, personally.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, you can turn the bobbing off? Shit, that's been annoying me forever.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited August 2007
    people are getting motion-sickness with camera bob off? How does that work..
    i put it to on, for no real reason, but haven't had a problem with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    I think they're just fucked in the head personally - all you Legacy players are - but if it works for you, then fine. Be fucked in the head. See if I care. :-P (BTW, didn't GRAW also have Legacy missing upon release, or something?)

Getting a bit more on topic, somewhere I heard that they have the actual controller logic from Halo 2 in there (Marathonized, of course), which is why it feels rather familiar.

Oh, I agree I'm fucked in the head. For some reason, I can deal with WASD+mouse on a computer but when I hold a controller I just can't deal with moving forward/back being separated from the turning. As I said before, I think this is because I cut my teeth for console FPS on the N64, which didn't have a 2nd joystick and put strafe on the C buttons.

If they have the controller logic of Halo 2 there, maybe it'll be easy for them to patch in legacy-style controls later? That'd be really nice. I'd enjoy not running into walls. :|

ASimPerson on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I recently acquired about 10000 MS points to fiddle around with thanks to the CC deal.

I really enjoy Lumines for the PS2, but that system is about to be retired (plus the whole hdtv thing), I'd prefer to play it on my 360. Here's the thing, Lumines on PS2 cost ten dollars... Lumines for the 360 costs $15 for the base pack and there's about 50 million other packs. I don't care about multi, just good songs and skins, what should I get?

solsovly on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm thinking most of the motion sickness is actually a result of the extremely low FOV, not the camera bob.

EDIT: Frog-blast the vent core!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Doh! I turned on camera bob before starting and was sick by the end of the demo. I forgot I had it on. I might be able to stand the game with it off. The slight nausea I had by the end of it was what kept me from unlocking it, I was worried it'd get worse if I kept going and would keep me from finishing.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Launched in 1996 I believe

Also how long till "someone" gets a hold of the HD textures and puts them on the web
    Forever? There's not much point when there are already comparable (and given that they're offered at much higher resolutions, some might say "better") textures for all three games floating around the internets.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh my god, I feel sick

Never happened to me in any game before this

Alpine on
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Does this have online Co-op? If so, go to line 3.

Sex.

I think so? When I go to Multiplayer/Xbox Live, it lets me choose co-op. I don't have anyone else handy to test with, though.

I bought it. It seems pretty much exactly like the original, and you can turn off most of the fancy newness if you want oldskool (I actually almost prefer the original textures, they're not quite improved enough to make that big of a difference). The multiplayer seems to work well too.

I'm very happy with it so far, but I have a feeling reviewers are going to be biased against it - for most people it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that Doom/Duke/Wolf3D have, even though most people who played both generally agree Marathon was better than Doom. (Me? I was raised on Marathon, and never liked Doom much...)

I never played Marathon before it came out on XBLA but I will honestly say I still prefer Doom on XBLA

I don't know Marathon seems alright but not great, it's hard to explain

Lothars on
    edited August 2007
    Alpine wrote: »
    Oh my god, I feel sick

Never happened to me in any game before this

how the hell is this happening? I didn't have a single problem with this, except that it felt a bit floaty when i walked off a ledge, which seemed to fire me across a room. Never got any motion sickness from playing, though.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've actually heard ALOT about motion sickness and this game. Reviews have brought it up, even. My buddy got vertigo, and we've been playing UT, Quake, Doom, and hell, we even played Prey together.

I really need to download the game and see what's up.

Kami on
    edited August 2007
    I get the slightest hint of motion sickness, which has never happened to me in a game before.

Anybody know how to finish Come and Take Your Medicine? No save points, no ammo, no health or oxygen...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2007
    I get the slightest hint of motion sickness, which has never happened to me in a game before.

Anybody know how to finish Come and Take Your Medicine? No save points, no ammo, no health or oxygen...
    Isn't that the level where you're not supposed to explore? As long as you don't stray from the path that Durandal gives you, you shouldn't run into any significant resistance... or have to go through any water.

Lork on
    edited August 2007
    Lork wrote: »

Isn't that the level where you're not supposed to explore? As long as you don't stray from the path that Durandal gives you, you shouldn't run into any significant resistance... or have to go through any water.

I have absolutely no idea what that path is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2007

M2.05.1.1.2.gif

This should be part of the terminal. The XBL version does have a map, doesn't it?

Lork on
  • EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

M2.05.1.1.2.gif

This should be part of the terminal. The XBL version does have a map, doesn't it?

It does, you hit the D-pad.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
    edited August 2007

M2.05.1.1.2.gif

I knew that, but on an SD screen the text is hard enough to read, the path that Durandal gives you is absolutely impossible to see.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2007
    I would like to take this opportunity to say a hearty FUCK YOU to whoever on the Marathon Infinity team was responsible for Acme Station and Post Naval Trauma.

Seriously, what the fuck.

Lork on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

M2.05.1.1.2.gif

I knew that, but on an SD screen the text is hard enough to read, the path that Durandal gives you is absolutely impossible to see.

There is an option to make the terminal text bigger

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love this game. I played the trilogy release for months when it came out and gobbled up whatever resources on the story I could. The Marathon Story page is completely awesome for that kind of stuff. Too bad I ran out of points. Erg. I have to go get some to buy this game.

unpurposed on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So is there a Vidmaster achievement? Because that would be AWESOME.

Punch all switches!

-SPI- on
  • EliteDoomMasterEliteDoomMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    So is there a Vidmaster achievement? Because that would be AWESOME.

Punch all switches!

There is.

EliteDoomMaster on
    Don't fuck with Mel Gibson, yo.
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of achievements, I'm definitely missing the jokes in a lot of them. Like a 0g achievement for being a member of the "7th Column," which I unlocked playing a match in multiplayer. A lot of the achievement descriptions make little to no sense, like Vidmaster, the description of which seems completely unrelated (I can't think of what it is right now, but it's rather confusing).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Speaking of achievements, I'm definitely missing the jokes in a lot of them. Like a 0g achievement for being a member of the "7th Column," which I unlocked playing a match in multiplayer. A lot of the achievement descriptions make little to no sense, like Vidmaster, the description of which seems completely unrelated (I can't think of what it is right now, but it's rather confusing).
    I'd imagine they're mostly references to old Marathon culture.

http://marathon.bungie.org/vidmaster/

edit- looking at the achievements I'm dissapointed there isn't a "Spazeroid" achievement for finishing the game on easy.

-SPI- on