As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, November 16, 2012 - The Manifold

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is there a leaderboard?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Overcompensating for this

1108856019_wZAD4-L.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I have never heard of NikeFuel™ before this moment. What a terrible idea.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    Ok, people are now looking at me funny for laughing out that loud in the office. I approve of today's strip. I'm sure that makes you feel better.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    This reminds me, can someone please explain the "Hoooooooo" in the Kinect sex strip? Didn't make sense to me at the time and it still doesn't.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Patch 5.2: the bonus to Fuel Points for solo-play will be nerfed to 50% gains.

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    This reminds me, can someone please explain the "Hoooooooo" in the Kinect sex strip? Didn't make sense to me at the time and it still doesn't.
    Ed McMahon, wingwan of the late-great Johnny Carson, would make a sound like that to punctuate Johnny's jokes - sort of like a verbal rimshot. More recently, it's a sound commonly heard on Regular Show.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Yeah like it's similar to saying oh snap except just the oooooohhhh part

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    This is one of those awesome comics where the pretty visual imagery hides it's true purpose.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

I think they also use this on Family Guy. Doesn't Peter Griffon say "Hooooooo" when he makes a joke?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I think they also use this on Family Guy. Doesn't Peter Griffon say "Hooooooo" when he makes a joke?

Maybe...once or twice? I can't ever remember him doing it. It's certainly not a "thing."

• Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Clearly I don't watch enough TV.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    This is the first I've heard of this. At first I thought it was stupid, then I realized it's a pretty cool looking athletic watch, and now I think it's a great idea. But I'd rather be able to use my points to acquire pokemon and useful items for them.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    piL wrote: »
    This is the first I've heard of this. At first I thought it was stupid, then I realized it's a pretty cool looking athletic watch, and now I think it's a great idea. But I'd rather be able to use my points to acquire pokemon and useful items for them.

I'd rather redeem them to reset my death penalty.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Khoo is right; they've really been killing it lately.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Also of note: the art in this (hilarious) comic is pretty neat. Especially that middle panel.

• SpiraMirabilisSpiraMirabilis Registered User regular

The PA equivilent to Ed McMahon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote: »
    Ed McMahon, wingwan of the late-great Johnny Carson, would make a sound like that to punctuate Johnny's jokes - sort of like a verbal rimshot. More recently, it's a sound commonly heard on Regular Show.

They also used it quite a bit on Webcomics Weekly, so maybe Scott passed the Hiyoooo! virus to Mike and Jerry.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    They're on a roll lately.

But that comic title? Oh, Jerry... Pretty great.

So while it has nothing to do with today's comic, if you don't follow Gabe on Twitter, there is some amusing stuff going down.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh boy, fratboys trying to boss Gabe on the internet (see gabe's twitter)

edited November 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »
    oh boy, fratboys trying to boss Gabe on the internet (see gabe's twitter)

Actually fratgirls I think? Um...sorgirls? Dammit.

Gaslight on
    Apparently in addition to the Nike band, there's another version made by Jawbone. I know they'll want to enter talks with Gabe & Tycho about a JawBoneZone ad campaign.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I love the middle panel (and this comic), but it bothers me that they're on opposite sides of the tree in that panel, yet much closer in the 1st and 3rd.

OCD!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Loved the comic. Gabe's reaction is perfect.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hooooooo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I love the middle panel (and this comic), but it bothers me that they're on opposite sides of the tree in that panel, yet much closer in the 1st and 3rd.

OCD!

Maybe they're rolling around trying to get more points.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I refuse to validate Nike's attempts to diversify. They should just stick to making ludicrously expensive shoes.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Currently wearing a pair of Nike Frees that I bought 3 years ago in Hawaii for 100 bucks, and they've survived 4 PAX's, 2 moves, 1 week in Disney World and countless walks. I wouldn't call them ludicrously expensive if I can get that kind of mileage out of them.

I ordered the Nike Kinect game after reading the new post. Now that it's cold in Rhode Island, I don't want to go outside for a walk in the morning.

brDe918.jpg
  • Ulti-Moose Ulti-Moose Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Oh Tycho your horrifying sexual vices never cease to amuse me.

Ulti-Moose on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Currently wearing a pair of Nike Frees that I bought 3 years ago in Hawaii for 100 bucks, and they've survived 4 PAX's, 2 moves, 1 week in Disney World and countless walks. I wouldn't call them ludicrously expensive if I can get that kind of mileage out of them.

I ordered the Nike Kinect game after reading the new post. Now that it's cold in Rhode Island, I don't want to go outside for a walk in the morning.

Yeh, maybe it's just me, everyone has different priorities I guess, but spending $100 on shoes just seems equivalent to paying five times as much money on a can of green beans because the shelf life is 5 years instead of 3. If your shoes don't eventually wear out, you aren't walking enough.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular

Yeh, maybe it's just me, everyone has different priorities I guess, but spending $100 on shoes just seems equivalent to paying five times as much money on a can of green beans because the shelf life is 5 years instead of 3. If your shoes don't eventually wear out, you aren't walking enough.

Possibly the worst analogy of all time. More to the point, Nike Frees have lasted reported mileages of over 1.4k, compared to, say, Avia AXXXX shoes that go for around 500 miles. The Avias are around $50 and the Frees are around $100. Sometimes a more expensive product is just better.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I found a pair of shoes in the trash once and now those are my running shoes because they fit pretty well.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So, is a fuck harness the same thing as a sex swing, or are they distinct apparatuses? The viewing public demands answers! Overly-detailed, slightly discomfiting answers!

Wandering Idiot on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I found a goth club once.

Was called The Fuckbunker.

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »

We need to start one called the John Romero Love Lair.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    Falx wrote: »

We need to start one called the John Romero Love Lair.

Ugh...all that hair, would not want to be the clean-up crew in that place.

edited November 2012

Possibly the worst analogy of all time. More to the point, Nike Frees have lasted reported mileages of over 1.4k, compared to, say, Avia AXXXX shoes that go for around 500 miles. The Avias are around $50 and the Frees are around $100. Sometimes a more expensive product is just better.

Yeh I stretched a bit far for that analogy, but I still assert that all shoes are functionally equivalent: they all cover your feet, that being the primary motivation behind the invention of shoes. So any money you pay extra over the $15 shoes at Costco is just aesthetics, and marketing. And even those are a ripoff when you consider it only takes maybe $5 worth of materials and $0.50 of chinese pseudo-sweatshop labor to create any pair of shoes on earth.

But then again, I will wear a given pair of shoes until the second time my socks get wet from standing in puddle because I've worn a hole in the bottom, so maybe I have a weird position on this. I just can't help but feel that all money spent on shoes (also clothes) is completely wasted, and I resent every time I'm forced to do so out of necessity.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

Yeh I stretched a bit far for that analogy, but I still assert that all shoes are functionally equivalent: they all cover your feet, that being the primary motivation behind the invention of shoes. So any money you pay extra over the $15 shoes at Costco is just aesthetics, and marketing. And even those are a ripoff when you consider it only takes maybe $5 worth of materials and $0.50 of chinese pseudo-sweatshop labor to create any pair of shoes on earth.

But then again, I will wear a given pair of shoes until the second time my socks get wet from standing in puddle because I've worn a hole in the bottom, so maybe I have a weird position on this. I just can't help but feel that all money spent on shoes (also clothes) is completely wasted, and I resent every time I'm forced to do so out of necessity.

i'm willing to bet that you aren't actually a runner and therefore you don't really know what you're talking about

edited November 2012
    I disagree with the idea that I need to have one hobby or another to recognize snake oil... That skill comes as part of existing in a modern capitalist society.

But whatever, this is getting really off track, as this comic is not about shoes, it is about some sort of pseudo-pedometer that's just branded with some shoe company. So let's leave it at that.

Monkey Ball Warrior on