As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Character design: Slow progress (page 2)

lethaniellethaniel Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
I'm designing this character because I figure that if I start a project of some kind and follow it through it'll force me to draw poses, scenes, objects etc. that I'd usually shy away from and therefore hopefully improve.

(Most of these are already in the doodle thread but I didn't want to continue clogging up that thread with similar drawings.)

These are the first drafts I did to decide on what the character would generally look like in terms of clothes and stuff.

threeup.jpg

For some reason I decided to go for a style change and I'm not sure if that's going to affect the clothing choices. Now I'm trying to settle on a hairstyle and face, I think if I get that part right and convey her personality then the clothing will come more easily.

And I love how utterly different the initial designs are compared to the two below.

head.jpg

Still trying to refine her looks, and I think I'm still way off.

design7.jpg

lethaniel on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I really like the first face, and yeah, I think the little cowlick in back is unnecessary.

In your first full-figure design, the long (skirt?) not only makes her torso look CRAZY long but it also makes her legs look CRAZY short. Furthermore, her arms in that one are way too freakin' long. I mean like ape-long.

The other two designs work really well though, I think...the 3rd looks best to me for some reason.

NightDragon on
  • roflberriesroflberries Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'd say the first coloured one is better, because the full length "bland" hair in the back contrasts the more interesting curly hair in the front. The second coloured one is nice as well; although the short hair in the back gives it too much of a contrast, it kind of makes it look like a rave haircut. Unless that's what you're going for, then choose the second.

roflberries on
  • DefyAllLogicDefyAllLogic Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i like her. does she have a story? she's so little, why does she have such a big gun? does she have any pets or friends? is her dad a scientist... ?

i'm invested, please continue :D

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

http://defyalllogic.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

Ray: Freestyle is for moronic little kids and hippie freaks.
    Molly Gunn: It's fun.
    Ray: Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun.
  • lethaniellethaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    NightDragon- yeah I know the first picture's anatomy is all out of whack but I was concentrating more on the design at that point. Having said that I think I'm definitely making the skirt a bit shorter and losing the baggy trousers ie. i'm leaning more towards the third design, but it still needs alot of refining.

Roflberries- I can what you're saying about having a contrast in the hair. I think the first coloured picture has too much hair in the back and the second one has too little, I need to find a balance without making the hair look too boring.

DefyAllLogic- I'm not going to put her into context before I have at least some idea what the final design is going to look like.

lethaniel on
    edited August 2006
    Still trying to find the right hairstyle.

sketched.jpg

lethaniel on
    edited August 2006
    I want to do is settle on a hairstyle so I can get on with the rest of the character but I'm too indecisive. I need to know which style out of the ones that I've posted is the best.

milka.jpg

lethaniel on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I don't like her with pigtails. I like her with straight hair like in the first sketches.. probably because she reminds me of Mamimi and FLCL wins.

TheBog on
  • KalynarKalynar Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    lethaniel wrote:
    I want to do is settle on a hairstyle so I can get on with the rest of the character but I'm too indecisive. I need to know which style out of the ones that I've posted is the best.

milka.jpg

I like this one the best.

Kalynar on
    My hands! My horrible human hands!
    monkeysigye5.jpg
  • Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    lethaniel wrote:
    sketched.jpg

I like this one. hehe I know, doesn't help with your indecisiveness.

Sam :) on
    edited August 2006
    No it really doesn't help.

More design ideas:

full.jpg

lethaniel on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    on the three quarters views of her head, the eyes look pasted on. Maybe if you brought back the line a little bit near the opposite eye to define a brow/eye socket it would help the eyes be a part of the face instead of stickers on top. This would also help give the cheek some definition.

Greatnation on
    edited August 2006
    I'm not sure I know which part of the eye you want me to alter.

lethaniel on
    edited August 2006
    this is a really crummy paintover of what im trying to explain...

facepaint.jpg

hope it helps

Greatnation on
    edited September 2006
    That's actually really helpful thank you.

lethaniel on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The way you dress her makes her body look out of proportion, I'm guessing it's the combination of her having a short skirt and loooooong jacket.

Didn't someone write a song about that?

Har, I'm so funny... :roll:

Seriously though, those knee high boots also add to the confusion. I like this look, it just has to be tweaked so as to eliminate these optical illusions.

MagicToaster on
    edited September 2006
    glad i could help! :)

Greatnation on
    edited September 2006
    Yeah I admit that the boots are way too chunky.

I'm trying to get across that the skirt and the jacket that she's wearing underneath the coat are joined together/part of the same item of clothing but I can't make it any more obvious, any suggestions?

alterations.jpg

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    color and texture?

Greatnation on
    edited September 2006
    I don't think you can... the jacket breaks that effect you're trying to create. I mean, if you saw someone wearing that in real life... would you think the turtle neck is connected to the skirt?

MagicToaster on
    edited September 2006
    color and texture?

I tried colouring both sections with same colour but they still looked seperated. I'll give it a better try when I start the first proper colour version after I get her hair sorted out.

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    I don't think you can... the jacket breaks that effect you're trying to create. I mean, if you saw someone wearing that in real life... would you think the turtle neck is connected to the skirt?

I see what you mean. It's a shame, i'd really like an alternative to just having a normal skirt so it doesn't look so school-girly.

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    adidasdress.jpg

like this dress? but with a more flowy skirt?

maybe the materials make the appear seprate. like one looks like sweater and the other like cotton or chiffon (sp?)... :? maybe with a pattern or something. but i think i understand what you mean.

as for the hair (i know you haven't given her a story yet but...): if she's 15+ i like it down any younger i like the short pigtails.

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

edited September 2006
    adidasdress.jpg

like this dress? but with a more flowy skirt?

maybe the materials make the appear seprate. like one looks like sweater and the other like cotton or chiffon (sp?)... :? maybe with a pattern or something. but i think i understand what you mean.

as for the hair (i know you haven't given her a story yet but...): if she's 15+ i like it down any younger i like the short pigtails.

Yeah just like that dress. I think the problem is that I've stopped the zipper above the bottom of the skirt and put the horizontal lines with it which makes it look like a different item of clothing. I guess I'll just have to draw it like the one in the photo which means making it less frilly because of the material.

And yeah I think I'm going to go with the long hair.

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Which one works best:

collectionsk.jpg

lethaniel on
  • supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I like number 3 best because it keeps the character looking long and flowing from top to bottom without break

superglue on
    edited September 2006
    Four and Seven are the ones I like. If you have that V shaped patter, it kinda looks like there is a rock climbing harness around her crotch.

MagicToaster on
    edited September 2006
    Trying out different things.

nord.jpg

lethaniel on
  • VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    4 or 5 for me.

Virum on
    edited September 2006
    norse.jpg

lethaniel on
  • eminkey2003eminkey2003 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I 'd go with the last skirt in that set. The horizontal line fits with the other horizontal lines in the layers of clothes. Plus, the skirt is simple and girly, that's cool. Although, if the skirt is attached to the zipper jacket, shouldn't it unzip all the way to the bottom?
    In these last two drawings, I think the head and neck are too big for the body. Also, you're still kind of having that eye problem mentioned before. Maybe push that area back more, or just draw long eyelashes over the side of the head.

eminkey2003 on
    I am Man-yam, part man, and part yam. I love yams and I love mans, and what a yam-man I am.
    edited September 2006
    Starting to put her into context.

context.jpg

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    Trying out more ideas.

mailgirl.jpg

mailgirlfig.jpg

I'm definitely going to change her lower body (skirt/boots etc) to make it less school-girly.

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    I like the hat, and there's nothing wrong with school-girly in my book. ;)

Gogo Yubari <3

Virum on
    edited September 2006
    Options:

selection.jpg

lethaniel on
    edited September 2006
    #3... though somehow, the first choice is really cool too.

MagicToaster on
    edited September 2006
    i like one and five for the legs.

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

edited September 2006
    One is also my fav.

Virum on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    First, though your arms are stilly funky. Too short in the upper arm and too long in the lower arm.

Shiboe on
    edited September 2006
    Do you draw directly into your computer or do you sketch and scan?

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

edited September 2006
    Shiboe- I was concentrating more on the clothing than the anatomy but yeah, proportions are something I definitely need to work on.

DefyAllLogic- Directly onto my computer with a tablet.

lethaniel on
This discussion has been closed.