As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pirates of the Burning Sea

CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
There's no threads on this game so I thought I'd bring it up. It's a pretty good looking game that's different from the usual pap. The combat is a bit like Pirates! but with a lot more depth and skills. It also looks to have an interesting PvP concept. You can also design your own flags and sails to be included in the game for your use or for sale.

The beta is letting in another 8k or so in the next month.

Pirates of the Burning Sea website

Cabezone on

• Options
    BrettmcdBrettmcd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They've been promising to admit about 10,000 people, any day now, for an all-but-open beta for a number of months. It would be nice to see it happen. Admittedly most beta testers, once the macro beta begins, offer the developer very little in terms of bug testing or feature development. They're invited for stress testing, hopefully positive word of mouth, and to encourage pre-orders. They don't deserve to play the game for free because all they want to do is play the game for free. But the way Flying Lab has been putting this off is a bit off-putting.

Of course I won't get in. I just want to play the game for free.

Brettmcd on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got in in reasonably early beta and was disappointed with the combat system early on. I think it has potential especially now that they are committed to fleshing out the game before launch (originally swashbuckling, etc was going to be patched content).

In terms of production value, it is medium... unfortunately it's going to shipped out by SOE now instead of steam right? That spells doooooom.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I think it has potential especially now that they are committed to fleshing out the game before launch (originally swashbuckling, etc was going to be patched content).

Heh. I think I may sig this.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well they did just let in another 2k. So they could eb ramping up.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, I guess I'm re downloading the client now.

I was in beta over 10 months ago, so I'm hoping between now and then they've made a lot of major improvements :P

also:

Jesus H. Christ their web server is ass. It literally locks up my browser.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was really excited about this until i saw what the nonship combat looked like.

Still I'm hopeful.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The nonship combat is really just a sideshow to the ship combat.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    LimeLime Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pirates! and Pirates! Gold were both amazing [except for the dancing, ever try to dance using a laptop keyboard?]
    I hope that Burning Seas is able to capture the true glee of sailing about blowing up Spaniards, but I am worried that it will be a huge empty area of sea with almost no-one to interact (pirate) with.

Lime on
    Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    HAH! You have no need to worry, there is/will be plenty of people to pirate with/against. If you like the way that Pirates! played and you enjoy other MMORPGs, you should really dig this game.

Cabezone on