As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Is that minotaur showing sack?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Need a fresh kill; horror frozen on his face.

Running Away Guy from the Giant sprue is pretty good for that look. That or About To Be Bitten In Half Guy from the same kit. Some combination of those would work I guess. Plus, hey, free giant. :P

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Anyone painted/flocked a Realm of Battle board? I just found THIS walkthrough and it looks pretty much how I want mine to look.

Prime on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    YEP

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    yes three is a thing going on with that mino..i dont know what to say.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    It's awesome when I post on the wrong thread!

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    The Mourngul be heeeere:
    morngulcomp.jpg
    “‘Hey Bob’ he said ‘let's go hiking’ he said ‘I swear I won't turn into a shambling abomination and kill everyone again’ he said. Dammit Jim, that was the last horse!”

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fuck the Mourngul looks scary.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    makes me want to wet my pants, is this some creature from that magic expansion ?

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It's the Vampire Counts monster from Monstrous Arcana.

• Options
    The best part is that Mournguls start out as regular humans and turn into that by what passes for ‘natural’ processes on the Warhammer World.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    And they somehow become gigantic?

Eh.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Yeah, turns out, going cannibal in a high magic field is a really bad idea, especially if you wait until you're literally dying of hunger first….

• Options
    So Avatars of War finally got one of their Dwarf units done.

aowpl05_blister.jpg

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Oh my god every one of those owns and agghhh

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    I keep reading that brand as WRATH BONE
    Anyway they look fucking awesome. Man I have some Warriors of Chaos but I really want both a Vampire and a Dwarf army.
    Shame Dwarfs are still so dull to play.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I keep reading that brand as WRATH BONE
    Anyway they look fucking awesome. Man I have some Warriors of Chaos but I really want both a Vampire and a Dwarf army.
    Shame Dwarfs are still so dull to play.

WRATHBONE is a fucking fantastic name for a metal band

Someone, make it so

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I'm so so close to changing my Christmas present from my fiancee from an iPad mini to the Vampire Counts army, because fuck me that thing is like $200au off in Australia and basically finishes my VC army sans a few more skeletons.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    do it
    then send it to me

• Options
    I can send you the empty sprue. Then you can pretend you got one!

• Options
    ...deal

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Welp, that's done and ordered. That'll give me a good 2000pt army with stuff to spare.

Now I need to talk my brother into dusting off his Skaven.

I was a bit annoyed that I was getting two redundant kits - I already have a Corpse Cart and plastic Necromancer. Then I remembered, I can mount the Necromancer on the Corpse Cart. Crisis averted.

Now I need to figure out if I want to run Vargeists or Crypt Horrors.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Buy my dwarfs.

• Options
    I bought a whole Dwarf army and ended up selling it to one of you lot before I moved to Japan.
    Actually thinking about it, a large part of the appeal was the fact they all fitted into one carry case.
    I may have messed up hobby priorities.

• Options

Buy my dwarfs.

Did you paint them?

• Options

Buy my dwarfs.

Did you paint them?

They are in the exact state that they were when we discussed this before.

• Options

Buy my dwarfs.

Did you paint them?

Oh yea...

Trade for my Bretonnians?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I tapped out what I'll have from the megaforce plus what I already have in Battlescribe, and it sits me at about 3500pts. Holy fuck.

However, that is with two lords (one Necromancer lord on Corpse Cart and one Vampire Lord on Coven Throne), so drop it to say 3300 with the Corpse Cart Necromancer as a Hero.

I also only have enough Core for 2000pts. But another batch of 40 Skeletons and 5 more Ghouls puts me at 750pt Core.

Fuck this is the most I've ever had for any army ever. Even before I quit in early 4th edition 40k. And I haven't even gotten any game of Fantasy in yet because I can never get my brother to have a game.

-Loki- on
  • Options

Buy my dwarfs.

Did you paint them?

Oh yea...

The Bretonnian army sitting on my shelf says no.

• Options

Buy my dwarfs.

Did you paint them?

Oh yea...

The Bretonnian army sitting on my shelf says no.

Ogre Kingdoms?

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I tapped out what I'll have from the megaforce plus what I already have in Battlescribe, and it sits me at about 3500pts. Holy fuck.

However, that is with two lords (one Necromancer lord on Corpse Cart and one Vampire Lord on Coven Throne), so drop it to say 3300 with the Corpse Cart Necromancer as a Hero.

I also only have enough Core for 2000pts. But another batch of 40 Skeletons and 5 more Ghouls puts me at 750pt Core.

Fuck this is the most I've ever had for any army ever. Even before I quit in early 4th edition 40k. And I haven't even gotten any game of Fantasy in yet because I can never get my brother to have a game.

What is it with Nid players and Vampire Counts. I have VC's as my main army in Fantasy. That and Tomb Kings. I love me some skeletons.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I've been an Warhammer Undead fan since they were actually in Warhammer Armies Undead before the split. I just could never afford them when I was 10. I'm also more of a fan of Vampire Counts since they basically are Undead with some bat themed additions, whereas Tomb Kings are Skeletons and Mummies and statues.

Also, it might have something to do with going from one extreme to another. In 40k, Tyranids are the ultimate 'without a face' army. Your hordes of gribblies are just that, and short of leader beasts which are still just more gribblies, there's no personality.

In Fantasy, Vampire Counts are the ultimate 'army with a face', in that your characters define your army. It's all about your characters - it's called Warhammer Armies Vampire Counts, after all, not Warhammer Armies Random Undead. The army is defined by your Vampires, and to a lesser extent, Necromancers and Wight Kings. Then once you're made your incredibly customizeable face, you build your army around it.

That and the play style is incredibly similar. Hordes of weaker units backed up by fewer rock hard killy units backed up by super killy heroes with potent magic (psychic powers), while brining new models in during gameplay (which got closer with 5th edition Tyranids being able to make new units mid game).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I've been an Warhammer Undead fan since they were actually in Warhammer Armies Undead before the split. I just could never afford them when I was 10. I'm also more of a fan of Vampire Counts since they basically are Undead with some bat themed additions, whereas Tomb Kings are Skeletons and Mummies and statues.

Also, it might have something to do with going from one extreme to another. In 40k, Tyranids are the ultimate 'without a face' army. Your hordes of gribblies are just that, and short of leader beasts which are still just more gribblies, there's no personality.

In Fantasy, Vampire Counts are the ultimate 'army with a face', in that your characters define your army. It's all about your characters - it's called Warhammer Armies Vampire Counts, after all, not Warhammer Armies Random Undead. The army is defined by your Vampires, and to a lesser extent, Necromancers and Wight Kings. Then once you're made your incredibly customizeable face, you build your army around it.

That and the play style is incredibly similar. Hordes of weaker units backed up by fewer rock hard killy units backed up by super killy heroes with potent magic (psychic powers), while bringing new models in during gameplay (which got closer with 5th edition Tyranids being able to make new units mid game).
    This is exactly the reason I didn't want to play Nids in 40K. I started Fantasy with the old Undead, before they divided into two armies, and I honestly got sick of having to rely on my super-powered characters to do any of the killing. When I went to 40K, that's what I saw Nids as - hordes of weak mooks to tie up the enemy before my big guys got there and killed stuff. So I switched to Chaos with the intent of building in Chaos Daemons, allowing me to play both systems if I wanted to. Mostly worked!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I honestly didn't think about the play style. While it's irritating I managed to pick two horde armies, I went for Vampires because I think Fantasy does Vampires awesomely. The fluff of Nagash, Nehekara and Neferata starting the Vampire bloodlines is really fun to read, and all of the bloodlines have really distinct fluff and all of it is interesting. I even really enjoy the von Carstein fluff. They're also basically generic Undead. The fact that they managed to get them working well in gameplay, with Vampires being largely customizable with lots of build options is just gravy. The one flaw is they have barely any good Vampire models outside of the von Carstein special characters, but there's plenty of 3rd party companies doing good vampires anyway.

I'm in the process of talking my friend into starting Fantasy, and the two armies he's expressed interest in are Brettonia and Tomb Kings. Given that those are two of the three main enemies Vampires have the in the fluff is great. Thematic games!

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Exactly! If he goes for Brettonians, you can try to replay the battle of La Maisontal Abbey. :)

• Options
    alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in a decent sized 90% NIB HE force? I have no desire to play FB anymore and it's taking up space.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    To motivate myself to get some painting done, I've thrown together two lists looking at what I'll have available after I get the megaforce. This is mostly to motivate me to get some more painting done so I have a mostly painted army when I play my brother.

1000pt. This points level seems very constrained in Fantasy, moreso than 40k. I cannot fit a lord in reasonably, and my harder hitting toys, which Vampires really need, are not really there. Also only two level 1 casters.
    Heroes
    Vampire - Heavy Armour, Sword of Swift Slaying, Red Fury, Level 1 Lore of the Vampires
    Necromancer - Level 1 Lore of the Vampires

Core
    10 Crypt Ghouls, Ghast
    29 Skeletons, Full Command, Screaming Banner

Special
    19 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Banner of the Barrows

Rare
    Varghulf

2000pt. This feels a lot better. A lord you don't want to mess with, a BSB, a higher level Necromancer, bigger core blocks, but still nto as many fun toys. I'm assuming the fun toys level opens at 2500-3000pts?
    Lord
    Vampire Lord - Armour of Silvered Steel, Great Weapon, Quickblood, Red Fury, Beguile, Level 4 Lore of the Vampires

Heroes
    Vampire - Great Weapon, Beguile, Quickblood, Heavy Armour, BSB, Level 1 Lore of Shadow
    Necromancer - Level 2 Lore of Vampires, Corpse Cart mount

Core
    40 Skeletons, Full Command, Screaming Banner
    25 Crypt Ghouls, Ghast

Special
    20 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Banner of the Barrows
    3 Vargheists, Vargoyle

Rare
    Varghulf

I'm a tad unsure of the loadout I gave the Vampire Lord. I was going for a level 4 caster that could also mince things in combat, since that seems to be the thing Vampires are doing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I finally got a hold of one of the old Lahmian mounted+foot vampire packs! This one. I foolishly decided to wait for the finecast versions, since GW were finecasting old models. Instead they pulled the whole old Vampire range.

12278m-93a7710d35.jpg

Now I need to stalk ebay for this one.
    12277m-2cd3a0bb7b.jpg

They're not the greatest figs GW have done, but I still really like them. I'll just have to learn a bit of sculpting to cover up their head dress with hair.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    I finally got a hold of one of the old Lahmian mounted+foot vampire packs! This one. I foolishly decided to wait for the finecast versions, since GW were finecasting old models. Instead they pulled the whole old Vampire range.

12278m-93a7710d35.jpg

Now I need to stalk ebay for this one.
    12277m-2cd3a0bb7b.jpg

They're not the greatest figs GW have done, but I still really like them. I'll just have to learn a bit of sculpting to cover up their head dress with hair.

I love those models and have both versions. I started working on the one with the snake years ago. I should dig it out and post a pic of where I'm at with it. Maybe it will get me to finally finish it.

• Options
    It's super annoying because making a Lahmian coven with GW models is basically impossible now. You've got Isabella and the shitty female noble in the Vampires line, and a few Damsels in the Brettonial line that look terrible. I was so pissed when they dropped the 5th edition Vampires - sure, they're not up to par with todays sculpts, but they have a lot of old models still in production. You can't say the VC bats are top stuff.

The old 5th edition Vampires at least gave you some nice variation and a bit of character for your army. I want to grab the old Necrarchs as well.

This discussion has been closed.