As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I love Goons but I don't think SA forums are worth 10 dollars. /opinion

I would find spending 10 dollars to fund this forum, now having spent years posting on it and enjoying the freedoms that come from internet dicktatorship moderation, to be acceptable. But only just. Maybe they need a free trial?

488W936.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'd only sign up for the SA forums for like, finding stuff they do in games.

Which is not worth $10 to me. Since I would not be posting there often or reading it often.

• VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I can recommend a couple large, tactical-oriented outfits that are going to have a big presence in PS2. SOE themselves have released a couple videos featuring these outfits:

666th Devil Dogs - Incredibly popular NC outfit.
    Azure Twilight - legendary VS outfit from PS1, I've been considering rolling with them at launch.
    Black Widow Company - These guys are pretty hardcore, but if you want to kick ass as TR they are the way to go.
    The Enclave - Another TR outfit, I haven't played with them myself but I think we've all had a run-in with them in the Beta. They seem to know what they're doing.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I can't speak to the other ones, but at least from my experience as TR on Thebe, The Enclave get shit done, and act like complete and total retards while doing it. Like full retard.

Rather then join them, I suggest using them whenever they appear, hotdrop, run around for 5 mins spamming general with recruitment crap, and disappear, and defend the mess they leave behind.

488W936.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think Jester is with Devil Dogs, saw him and his ArmA guys playing with them in a video the other day.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    So do I uninstall the beta client or will it patch up to the full version when it comes out?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I am biased against Enclave because some of their members have really shitty attitudes. I'm sure they have plenty of cool guys, but no way I would join that outfit, even if I was TR.

Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So do I uninstall the beta client or will it patch up to the full version when it comes out?

Uninstall it. You have to re-download for release.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Buzzcut is a tool. He actually accused a bunch of us of changing factions to TK his stuff one night.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm gonna see if NovaTac will let me roll with them first, if not I'll just find some other NC group on whatever server NovaTac uses.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    There is a thread on the PS2 reddit with a list of where some outfits are planning to go: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13exmq/we_have_the_server_names_so_what_servers_are_all/

• nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    For anyone looking to join the Goons, one of their guilds (NC) is looking for bodies rather than specifically SomethingAwful members. Per their post on SA:
    Recruitment
    As long as a player has a mic and can get in mumble, they can join the outfit. Ask people in game, ask your mom, tell your girlfriend to get a computer. Try to grow us. If people get on and they’re tools, we can just boot them out. It’s easy to grow, and the more we do the more we can have an effect on the world that is PS2. Post on the official PS2 forums and on SA about how much freaking fun you had last night. Get people on board. Do it.

So if you're looking for a guild and no Penny Arcade guilds crop up, you can always try talking with someone from Higby's Heroes on Mattherson.

Edit:
    Note, not me, I'm aiming for something else and was just posting this for reference to those who might want to explore the option since it was brought up.

nessin on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I am incredibly sad that my old badass outfit, The Final Stand, doesn't seem to be reforming. It's kinda weird that they're not because they were one of the big names back in the day too. Oh well. At least that frees me up to follow the main bulk of PA people wherever they end up.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I played TR with enclave on beta. The public image they seem to want to have is much worse than the actual conduct ingame; they seem committed to looking like stupid toolbags (mostly a function of leadership), but ingame they are pretty organized and I had a lot of fun on their ops (minimal number of toolbags.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    I played TR with enclave on beta. The public image they seem to want to have is much worse than the actual conduct ingame; they seem committed to looking like stupid toolbags (mostly a function of leadership), but ingame they are pretty organized and I had a lot of fun on their ops (minimal number of toolbags.)
    I don't think anyone questions their organization. People just don't like their leader because he is a complete tool. There is many a time I would be watching his stream and he would just be angrily screaming at his platoon. I'm sure when hes completely calm hes a fine leader, but that guy has anger issues.

Whenever they are losing a fight, they bitch and moan contently in chat. It's sad really.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Mind if I friend you That_Guy in the game so I can join you on things? I'd like to be apart of a group than just running solo.

Retaba wrote: »
    Mind if I friend you That_Guy in the game so I can join you on things? I'd like to be apart of a group than just running solo.

Of course. My name will be "ThatGuy". No extra characters, no number, no spaces. Just ThatGuy. Everyone but Waka can friend me.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    I am biased against Enclave because some of their members have really shitty attitudes. I'm sure they have plenty of cool guys, but no way I would join that outfit, even if I was TR.

Lord Jezo wrote: »

Uninstall it. You have to re-download for release.

So do they have a link up for downloading the release client now or sometime in the next few hours?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I think the download will be available tomorrow, possibly midnight tonight, if it is based on the countdown timer.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Retaba wrote: »

Of course. My name will be "ThatGuy". No extra characters, no number, no spaces. Just ThatGuy. Everyone but Waka can friend me.

Keen thanks! Any idea which server you'll be on?

edited November 2012
    FYI. The solution for error 1001 is not correct. The MS fixit tool does not work. I am going to keep spamming the twitter accounts of Smdley, Higgy and PS2 for REAL a solution.

Edit: Wow. I am going to have to start getting really nasty with these idiots. https://twitter.com/thatguy3141

That_Guy on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    FYI. The solution for error 1001 is not correct. The MS fixit tool does not work. I am going to keep spamming the twitter accounts of Smdley, Higgy and PS2 for REAL a solution.

They already said the release installer would uninstall the beta.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Man, looks like Connery is the place to be for West.

Klyka wrote: »

They already said the release installer would uninstall the beta.

Please link me to where they said that. The last I heard from J_Smed was that you have to uninstall the beta before the release client to avoid conflicts.

• Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    Should I plan on DLing through Steam or straight from SOE's launcher? Anyone have a recommendation?

What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Should I plan on DLing through Steam or straight from SOE's launcher? Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm going to use Steam simply because it makes the file management simple and I *know* they have teh phat pipe$. The Beta updates to PS2 always seemed to have varying levels of speediness, but typically Steam maxes out my connection for anything it pulls (which is sometimes a downside since there's no built in way to cap it...).

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I can sponsor a few people into the goon outfit in Planetside2, I'm sure, should it be necessary. Unless it fills up instantly that is, then you might have to wait a while. I don't think there's a strict "ONLY GOON" policy for planetside2. They just want a lot of bodies to start with so it should be all good and they've always been on good standing with PA

There are currently 3 goon outfits in motion. One EU (VS) and two US (VS/NC).

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    steejee wrote: »

I'm going to use Steam simply because it makes the file management simple and I *know* they have teh phat pipe$. The Beta updates to PS2 always seemed to have varying levels of speediness, but typically Steam maxes out my connection for anything it pulls (which is sometimes a downside since there's no built in way to cap it...).

The patching and downloads are still going to be handled by the launcher. Right now all it looks like steam is going to do is give you a storefront to look at and the overlay integrated natively. I hope they replace the Station Cash system in the Steam version with the Steam Wallet like they did with Star Trek Online.

20 Hours remain. HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!!

What are your plans for the Alpha Squad Station Cash? I am going to first unlock the Breaker Rockets, Hawk Launcher and maybe something cosmetic. Can't wait.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm considering the goons, but I was more partial to VS. And I much prefer Vent to NC. Maybe I'll start a PA platoon for VS? WOuld there be interest in that? Just officer-up PA people, run open squads and be open to pubbies, but more or less stick together?

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    PS_TRay just posted this pic of a Vanu MAX suit:

A8GQh7CCMAENOyc.jpg

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The patching and downloads are still going to be handled by the launcher. Right now all it looks like steam is going to do is give you a storefront to look at and the overlay integrated natively. I hope they replace the Station Cash system in the Steam version with the Steam Wallet like they did with Star Trek Online.

I was thinking Steam more for the initial download, even if I still have to patch via SOE, though it would be nice if Steam could patch it, but I'm not expecting that to be the case.

RE: Vanu Max - Shiny! (or Crystal-y)

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well looks like it's Waterson for me, since that's where Hex will be.

camo_sig.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    WE. MAKE. HOLES IN TEETH! :P

edit** wow really? Vanu have to wear high heels? Their really pushing their whole... image... thing...

why do the max armors look anemic? PS1 armors were friggin huge and had a presence to them. They all look like they are throwing on Vanquish hardsuits.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Still wondering how we get those visual armor upgrades (it's not just for MAX suits). Will it be BR, station cash, or both?

NC and TR MAX suits are pretty bulky, especially when they have full cosmetic armor on. Vanu is somewhat less bulky which fits in with VS theme of flexibility/maneuverability, I think.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh boy I'm looking forwards to playing this come tommorow, in twenty minutes!

Oh wait, never mind. It's 'Merica's 20th not EU or any other country with a timezone infront of America's, which means I'll have to wait till wednesday because you wont let people download the client in advance or reuse files from beta. Because I fucking *love* having downloads die from everyone trying to do it at once.

18 hours till release though, so I guess that's something. Dunno why it being US irks me so much, this sort of thing usually doesn't. It's probably the combination of that with the time they're releasing (6PM GMT) and the fact that for some reason beta files aren't going to be carried over more or less means I can't play the game on launch day.

Also, that Vanu MAX looks awesome, really manages to fit into the tech theme with it's more angled appearance to the other, bulkier MAX units.

And to whoever implied that anything being in anyway comparable to Vanquish is a bad thing D: What we need is Planetside 2 with Vanquish mechanics, minus the slo-mo. We can call it SUPER MEGA CLUSTERFUCK-U! and it shall be the greatest, most frustrating to control thing to ever murder PC processors.

Oh boy I'm looking forwards to playing this come tommorow, in twenty minutes!

Oh wait, never mind. It's 'Merica's 20th not EU or any other country with a timezone infront of America's, which means I'll have to wait till wednesday because you wont let people download the client in advance or reuse files from beta. Because I fucking *love* having downloads die from everyone trying to do it at once.

18 hours till release though, so I guess that's something. Dunno why it being US irks me so much, this sort of thing usually doesn't. It's probably the combination of that with the time they're releasing (6PM GMT) and the fact that for some reason beta files aren't going to be carried over more or less means I can't play the game on launch day.

Also, that Vanu MAX looks awesome, really manages to fit into the tech theme with it's more angled appearance to the other, bulkier MAX units.

And to whoever implied that anything being in anyway comparable to Vanquish is a bad thing D: What we need is Planetside 2 with Vanquish mechanics, minus the slo-mo. We can call it SUPER MEGA CLUSTERFUCK-U! and it shall be the greatest, most frustrating to control thing to ever murder PC processors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZdJRDpLHbw

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    presumably most of the vanity / alternate looks will be purchased with station cash, yeah

also hopefully this does wind up on steam, if only so that it gets plugged into steam sales

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    übergeek wrote: »

As will I. Did you get that info straight from the horse's mouth?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    PS_TRay just posted this pic of a Vanu MAX suit:

A8GQh7CCMAENOyc.jpg

METAL GEAAAAAR!
    übergeek wrote: »

As will I. Did you get that info straight from the horse's mouth?
    Guess I'm going to Waterson! I was gonna be a Vanu schmuck originally but without The Final Stand to roll with my interest in the VS has kinda waned. Besides, they're hardly the underdogs in PS this time around which takes the other bit of fun with rolling VS away.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.