As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] I shall call him...Mini Wii.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    KiTA wrote: »
    Also, who is "Lauren Wainwright" and what is Doritogate? I seem to have missed a rather big firestorm between refreshes.

She is (was) a game journalist for MCV pimping Tomb Raider all over the place and basically being S-E's shill, and Rab Florence called her out on it and wrote a piece about, essentially, ethics in this industry (in an article on Eurogamer), and so Lauren thought she was super smart and threatened legal action against Eurogamer or else take down the article or her tweets quoted in the article, and so Eurogamer removed it and Rab decided just to leave Eurogamer (of his own accord) and it caused a big shit storm and people started to notice how much of Lauren's stuff was connected to S-E and so she smartly decided to start pulling all her articles related to S-E off the web and pretend they don't exist and claim she never worked for or did anything covering S-E's stuff, then various websites started posting new rules about how their writers are going to try to stay neutral or at least avoid undue influence from publishers etc etc, but MCV says nothing conspicuously, then this Hitman thing comes up and we find out they finally ditched Lauren Wainright who was super smart because she took media law.

edit: crap i forgot to talk about the dorito thing. See links below in Ultimakay's post

edit: and now MCV's official twitter is going completely nuts like in a crazed sort of way

slash000 on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Also, who is "Lauren Wainwright" and what is Doritogate? I seem to have missed a rather big firestorm between refreshes.

These 2 PAR articles do a good job of summing things up. read this one first then read this one. That will then give a lot more context to the current MCV shit going down.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    And just as I write the above, MCV confirmed that Lauren does not work for them anymore failing to pass her probation. I am going to take that to mean that she brought a shit storm upon them so deep that there was no way they wanted any more to do with it.

Guess that study in media law didn't pay off after all, huh?

It looks like the whole Hitman roundup thing made MCV finally realize they've got a problem that can't get swept up under the rug.

I seriously doubt it just happened to be determined she failed to pass her probation at the height of this shitstorm.

To me, it kind of feels like "There you go, there's the blood you're baying for, now shut up and go away", which is exactly why I had a problem with the whole angry mob making her the focus of the problem. Throwing one writer under the bus doesn't suddenly make them credible or excuse their actions.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for the download speeds; their servers have got to be slammed right now.

But five gigs? Arrrrrgh. A patch should be, y'know, a patch, not the entire damn OS again. Apple figured that out a few years ago.

The download's like a gig. The fact that about 5 gigs is taken up on all systems does not mean that this is what was downloaded, nor does it mean it's all actively being used or that it's the OS itself. It's likely that a good portion of that space is reserved for future use. For example, something like Nintendo Video that downloads and stores four videos at all times.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Revstu's blog has a really good log of the events and players, but seems to be down right now.

PA Report is pretty good too http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/libel-alleged-legal-threats-and-conflicts-of-interest-the-twisted-story-of-

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for the download speeds; their servers have got to be slammed right now.

But five gigs? Arrrrrgh. A patch should be, y'know, a patch, not the entire damn OS again. Apple figured that out a few years ago.

To be fair, Nintendo isn't exactly 'hip', to this online 'thing', as all you kids so like to put it. They're just getting used to the idea of 'accounts'.

Hey, they nailed the "mark people who actually played a game so that when they comment on it you can know" part.

Hah, I saw that and thought it was fantastic.

And apparently their army of moderators are doing a good job of instantly eliminating penis drawings.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Basically people haven't investigated what the hell the OS is in its full structure. :P

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Honestly I do wonder how many of the reactions to the Wii U stem from "We need to find something to be critical of right now."

Edit - And this crap will happen on the next two consoles too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Well new console/handheld launches always cause large portions of the gaming crowd to throw giant bitchfests, whether it's about launch line-ups, price, ports, etc etc.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be upset too if I had bricked my console over an update.

But new console launches always get the fanboys stirred up that's for certain.

• Options
    I actually really, really like my Wii U. It's just that spending two hours setting it up (one hour for the download, and another to transfer over stuff from my Wii) was a bit of a pain.

Though it's likely that the next round of Wii Us will already have the Miiverse stuff in the system.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I actually really, really like my Wii U. It's just that spending two hours setting it up (one hour for the download, and another to transfer over stuff from my Wii) was a bit of a pain.

Though it's likely that the next round of Wii Us will already have the Miiverse stuff in the system.

So that whole 'play it on the tablet while someone watches tv' deal, is that a thing that works with every game, or just supported games?

• Options
    edited November 2012

So that whole 'play it on the tablet while someone watches tv' deal, is that a thing that works with every game, or just supported games?

I think it depends on the game... you obviously can't do it with Nintendoland or (I'm guessing) ZombiU, since they incorporate both. NSMB U works like a charm though, and so do a lot of others from what I hear. Ridiculously handy feature and might be one of the key selling points of the system.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Having spent some time with the system, it's rough. About as rough as the 3DS launch.

The games are fun (I have Nintendoland, NSMBU, Scribblenauts, and Zombi U), but the stuff around them? The glue holding it together? It feels rushed.

Miiverse is an interesting idea, but currently just functions like Steam forums on a console, not necessarily as a replacement or alternative to the unified achievement structure some consumers have come to expect. Simple Notifications from friend requests seem sporadic. If Miiverse is even up. Everything in the OS is slow on initial load (once you're in game, loads are fine). Weird little intuitive hiccups, like hitting eject causes an error instead of just dump you back out onto the Home screen. YouTube, Amazon, and Hulu are on the homescreen like they could be downloaded, but they're not live yet. And when you open those apps, there's no real notification that they aren't live yet (You can see what it looks like here).

The beautiful statue is there. You can see it. But the polish is not there.

Nintendo can fix it, but the 1GB day one update alone will throw some mainstream consumers for a loop.

Just supported titles. As cloud says, Zombi U plays like a large DS game, so the second screen is required. The more the game uses the second pad, the more likely it won't support the Tablet play feature.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure that every console launch is rough. You can't know exactly how it's going to turn out until you have a few million people messing with it at once.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV keeping subscriptions to ‘regain trust of fans’, says director
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is currently in development, and while it addresses several issues from the game’s critically-panned original release, it will remain subscription-based while most MMOs are going free-to-play. Producer and director Naoki Yoshida has explained to VG247 that his team is keeping the game’s subscription model as it fulfils a promise made to fans. Find out why below.

As part of an upcoming Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn interview with Yoshida, we asked the developer why Square-Enix was keeping the game’s subscription model intact when the rest of the world seems to be embracing free-to-play.

Yoshida replied, “The main reason why we haven’t decided to take the free-to-play option is that, at the game’s original launch, it didn’t live up to expectations and it let down a lot of fans. We lost the trust of fans who had followed us across our 25-year history. We want to regain that trust and to deliver on past promises.

“One of the promises we originally stated was that we would release the game with a subscription model. Players will be able to play it 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days in the year if they paid a subscription fee.

“So to regain the trust of our players we must of course fulfil this promise. Right now we believe that to be more important than any kind of business decision.”

Yoshida also stressed that the pros and cons of both models are yet to be seen, and argued that it’s hard to make a clear judgement between them both.

“The other thing is that – depending on what kind of game you have – its hard to say which model is better. Is free-to-play better? Are subscriptions better? It just really depends, and it’s hard to say which one is better.

It’s all rather confusing, but one thing makes sense: that Square-Enix doesn’t want to be running Final Fantasy XIV out of someone else’s pocket, and this is where the need for subscription models makes sense, even if it’s unpalatable to those accustomed to free-to-play.

“The last thing is that our aim is to make an MMO,” Yoshida continued, “and a lot of companies do their development for MMOs by getting money from investors. Then the investors want their money back, so if the game doesn’t make enough money or doesn’t have enough users, then what do we do?

“We’d have to pay our investors back, and free-to-play is an option to get that money back to investors quickly. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a product that is independent to Square-Enix. All of the money’s coming from us, so we had more time to put it into what we wanted to do. We’re not in a rush to pay anyone back.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'm fairly sure that every console launch is rough. You can't know exactly how it's going to turn out until you have a few million people messing with it at once.

This is true. And I'll share my feelings about all of those launches as they happen. Much like my 3DS. Or my Kindle Fire. (And the OS load issue isn't a "few million people" issue. That's a per system OS problem)

Doesn't mean you skip being honest about what's wrong.

For example, in the case of the recently released Android 4.2, it's big speed improvement over 4.1, but Google has two large problems that aren't being fixed. Fragmentation still exists, and developers still love Apple more, leading to a dearth of tablet-specific apps on the Google Play Store. While I enjoy Android, that's still a real problem.

It's rough and Nintendo's online/UX guys were seemingly caught behind the eightball. Optimization needs to be a big priority, and I'm hoping Nintendo is taking that seriously. I mean, this is certainly not the Virtual Boy or anything.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Android 4.2 technically has three problems. The first two you mentioned, and a bug that results in December not existing as a month in a core OS app. :rotate:

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Android 4.2 technically has three problems. The first two you mentioned, and a bug that results in December not existing as a month in a core OS app. :rotate:

Mayan technology

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote: »

She is (was) a game journalist for MCV pimping Tomb Raider all over the place and basically being S-E's shill, and Rab Florence called her out on it and wrote a piece about, essentially, ethics in this industry (in an article on Eurogamer), and so Lauren thought she was super smart and threatened legal action against Eurogamer or else take down the article or her tweets quoted in the article, and so Eurogamer removed it and Rab decided just to leave Eurogamer (of his own accord) and it caused a big shit storm and people started to notice how much of Lauren's stuff was connected to S-E and so she smartly decided to start pulling all her articles related to S-E off the web and pretend they don't exist and claim she never worked for or did anything covering S-E's stuff, then various websites started posting new rules about how their writers are going to try to stay neutral or at least avoid undue influence from publishers etc etc, but MCV says nothing conspicuously, then this Hitman thing comes up and we find out they finally ditched Lauren Wainright who was super smart because she took media law.

edit: crap i forgot to talk about the dorito thing. See links below in Ultimakay's post

edit: and now MCV's official twitter is going completely nuts like in a crazed sort of way

Actually, a key thing to remember is that Rab didn't call out Wainwright for pimping S-E. All he did is quote here defending some of her friends that tweeted an official #hashtag in order to get a chance to win a PS3 at some British awards show and then ask if that might lead someone to question her professional ethics.

All the evidence about her and S-E came from people on gaf googling around. It's the randomness of it that makes it closer to a indictment of games journalism in general rather than about one journalist in particular.

It would be very interesting to know if Rab knew a bit more when he wrote his article but somehow I doubt it. Perhaps he had a general impression that MCV was just a mouthpiece for PR.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options

That's a fairly huge bug, I hadn't heard of. Damn. Who let that one pass?

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XIV keeping subscriptions to ‘regain trust of fans’, says director
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is currently in development, and while it addresses several issues from the game’s critically-panned original release, it will remain subscription-based while most MMOs are going free-to-play. Producer and director Naoki Yoshida has explained to VG247 that his team is keeping the game’s subscription model as it fulfils a promise made to fans. Find out why below.

As part of an upcoming Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn interview with Yoshida, we asked the developer why Square-Enix was keeping the game’s subscription model intact when the rest of the world seems to be embracing free-to-play.

Yoshida replied, “The main reason why we haven’t decided to take the free-to-play option is that, at the game’s original launch, it didn’t live up to expectations and it let down a lot of fans. We lost the trust of fans who had followed us across our 25-year history. We want to regain that trust and to deliver on past promises.

“One of the promises we originally stated was that we would release the game with a subscription model. Players will be able to play it 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days in the year if they paid a subscription fee.

“So to regain the trust of our players we must of course fulfil this promise. Right now we believe that to be more important than any kind of business decision.”

Yoshida also stressed that the pros and cons of both models are yet to be seen, and argued that it’s hard to make a clear judgement between them both.

“The other thing is that – depending on what kind of game you have – its hard to say which model is better. Is free-to-play better? Are subscriptions better? It just really depends, and it’s hard to say which one is better.

It’s all rather confusing, but one thing makes sense: that Square-Enix doesn’t want to be running Final Fantasy XIV out of someone else’s pocket, and this is where the need for subscription models makes sense, even if it’s unpalatable to those accustomed to free-to-play.

“The last thing is that our aim is to make an MMO,” Yoshida continued, “and a lot of companies do their development for MMOs by getting money from investors. Then the investors want their money back, so if the game doesn’t make enough money or doesn’t have enough users, then what do we do?

“We’d have to pay our investors back, and free-to-play is an option to get that money back to investors quickly. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is a product that is independent to Square-Enix. All of the money’s coming from us, so we had more time to put it into what we wanted to do. We’re not in a rush to pay anyone back.”

This is like someone fulfilling a promise of waiting for you in the parking lot when they want to beat your ass. Seriously the oddest spin I've seen put on anything ever.

• Options
    We promised our fans that we'd charge them a subscription fee, and dammit... we aren't going to break our promise!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    In a world gone mad, there's at least the consistency that is Square charging us money. Maybe we'll make it through 2012 afterall guys.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So the question is which is going to prove more successful, The Old Republic's resentful hate-filled F2P model or FFXIV's "throw more money at it and give it another go".

• Options
    I want to say that FFXIV is doomed no matter what they do but apparently Vanguard is still alive so what the fuck do I know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McHoger wrote: »
    So the question is which is going to prove more successful, The Old Republic's resentful hate-filled F2P model or FFXIV's "throw more money at it and give it another go".

Can you qualify this exactly? I've seen no emotional cues from EA / Bioware regarding TOR's transition to F2P. The only reactions I see are from people posting on internet message boards. And it comes down to smug "Ha, I knew it all along!" to "oh no, the game is going to shut down :( "

• Options

That's a fairly huge bug, I hadn't heard of. Damn. Who let that one pass?

It's in the updated "People" app. Because it doesn't affect the actual calendar app, it's mostly a problem for setting birthdays of contacts. I imagine that Google is developing a patch ASAP.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ZombiU is getting amazingly mixed reviews. Hard to see how that will turn out.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/zombiu/critic-reviews

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uncharted-card-game-revealed-for-playstation-vita/0106636
    Sony has lifted the lid on a brand new Uncharted game for Vita – Uncharted Fight for Fortune.

Rather than trying to replicate the IP’s PS3 experience a la Uncharted: Golden Abyss, this title takes a different approach. It’s an “action-adventure turn-based card game featuring the heroes and villains from the Uncharted universe”.

The game will be a digital-only release and will arrive in December. It is a standalone release and does not require a copy of Golden Abyss to play, although those who have played the game will be rewarded with extra in-game artefacts.

Players must create a team of recognisable characters from the game’s universe to use in battle with other players.

“The rich lore that surrounds the Uncharted universe gave us the opportunity to create Uncharted: Golden Abyss, complete with lush, artefact-filled environments,” the co-director of developer Bend Studio stated on the European PlayStation blog.

“With over 300 treasures to be found, we wanted to find a way to allow our fans to delve deeper into the artefact collections and mysteries of the Uncharted universe.”

Here’s a trailer that explains how it all works:

I am pretty sure an action-adventure tunr-based card game is a huge oxymoron. I can't tell if this is just a normal sideproject that they are just having One Loop games doing most of the vast development for while Bend Studio works on something less spinoffie, or are they actually dedicated most of their resources to this.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/black-ops-ii-storms-uk-charts-as-the-biggest-launch-of-2012/0106624
    The latest outing for the Call of Duty series unsurprisingly debuts at No.1 in the UK All Formats Charts.

Black Ops II became the biggest launch of 2012 – eclipsing FIFA 13, which sold 1.2m units in its first two days.

The shooter is also the fourth biggest UK launch of all time. In comparison, last year's Modern Warfare 3 is the second biggest of all time, although it is the biggest in terms of revenue.

Last week, Activision announced Black Ops II generated an estimated $500m worldwide in its first 24 hours, surpassing Black Ops II. It has not announced unit sales yet.

Xbox 360 continues to lead the way with 60 per cent of Black Ops II's sales, with 30 per cent accounted for by PS3.

The console and PC shooter's handheld companion, Black Ops Declassified for Vita, debuted at No.16. It was the second biggest software launch for the handheld to date.

Last week's No.1, Halo 4, gets pushed down to No.2, followed by FIFA 13 and Assassin's Creed III in third and fourth place respectively.

Skylanders Giants climbs to No.5 after a boost in sales that will no doubt continue as Christmas approaches.

The highest other new entry was the Seasons expansion pack for The Sims 3, at No.9.

Elsewhere there was a trio of new entries in the low 20s. Sony's innovative Wonderbook: Book of Spells took No.25, while F1 Race Stars won this week's battle of the family racers. The Codemasters game launched at No.26, followed closely by Sega's Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed at No.27.

Here's the UK All Formats Top 20 in full for the week ending November 17th, 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)
    2. Halo 4 (Microsoft)
    3. FIFA 13 (EA)
    4. Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
    5. Skylanders Giants (Activision)
    6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
    7. Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
    8. Borderlands 2 (2K Games)
    9. The Sims 3: Seasons (EA)
    10. Football Manager 2013 (Sega)
    11. WWE '13 (THQ)
    12. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
    13. Moshi Monsters: Moshlings Theme Park (Activision/Mind Candy)
    14. Dishonored (Bethesda)
    15. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
    16. Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (Activision)
    17. Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Microsoft)
    18. New Super Mario Bros 2 (Nintendo)
    19. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (EA)
    20. Resident Evil 6 (Capcom)

LIberation was the third largest release, now the fourth largest release, on the handheld. Victory to the POS with brand name power! On the other hand, it probably sold less than 20k for the week.

Couscous on
  • Options
    So I was looking for a Dilbert cartoon but randomly found this much more appropriate one:

dilbert.jpg

Sorry about the size.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Can you qualify this exactly? I've seen no emotional cues from EA / Bioware regarding TOR's transition to F2P. The only reactions I see are from people posting on internet message boards. And it comes down to smug "Ha, I knew it all along!" to "oh no, the game is going to shut down :( "

He probably is referring more towards TOR's extreme crippleware model that is being spun by Bioware as a 'free to play', as though they're really only adding it into the game as something of a token gesture to try to bait people back into their subscription model.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    By "action-adventur turn-based card game" I just think of Metal Gear:Acid, which was a pretty fun game, so if it plays something like that it could be good.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Crippleware? I like that term, especially for TOR. Your character literally cannot run without paying Bioware, and my biggest complaint with the game was that movement/travel was too damn slow.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Mostly it was in jest. The whole $4 for the hide helmet option comes across as hilariously petty.

• Options

He probably is referring more towards TOR's extreme crippleware model that is being spun by Bioware as a 'free to play', as though they're really only adding it into the game as something of a token gesture to try to bait people back into their subscription model.
    I saw the list they put up like a week or two ago on the site but it still had a lot of vagueness about it. Let alone the price structure wasn't described whatsoever. Everything I saw on it is something that's for sale in just about every other F2P MMO, including channel accesses.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    If you go to their free2play list, and highlight the 'unmarked' icon for sprint it says that you get it at 15. The illuminated markings for the purchaser columns simply say that you get it at level 1.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

Mostly it was in jest. The whole $4 for the hide helmet option comes across as hilariously petty.

Oh they specified the prices on things? Can you provide a link?

While you're doing that, if it's true that they put a price tag on the hide-helmet function, fuck them. That is so dumb.

• Options

Oh they specified the prices on things? Can you provide a link?

While you're doing that, if it's true that they put a price tag on the hide-helmet function, fuck them. That is so dumb.

Jesus... yeah, now Square striving to fulfill their promise of a subscription fee suddenly seems awesome...

• Options
    Haha right? Like suddenly that promise is looking pretty fucking great!

It's not hard to fuck up the Free-to-Play price structure. The key is to not nickel-and-dime your fucking consumers. I have yet to see the list and price tags but that helmet thing is a bad, bad first impression. F2P doesn't work because the consumers are idiots that will buy anything, it is not a ticket to do whatever you want. It is a carefully planned out thing. Granted some aspects do nickel-and-dime (I personally can't stand putting a price tag on chat functions), but for the most part I get why some shit has to be paid into.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    ZombiU is getting amazingly mixed reviews. Hard to see how that will turn out.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/zombiu/critic-reviews

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uncharted-card-game-revealed-for-playstation-vita/0106636
    Sony has lifted the lid on a brand new Uncharted game for Vita – Uncharted Fight for Fortune.

Rather than trying to replicate the IP’s PS3 experience a la Uncharted: Golden Abyss, this title takes a different approach. It’s an “action-adventure turn-based card game featuring the heroes and villains from the Uncharted universe”.

The game will be a digital-only release and will arrive in December. It is a standalone release and does not require a copy of Golden Abyss to play, although those who have played the game will be rewarded with extra in-game artefacts.

Players must create a team of recognisable characters from the game’s universe to use in battle with other players.

“The rich lore that surrounds the Uncharted universe gave us the opportunity to create Uncharted: Golden Abyss, complete with lush, artefact-filled environments,” the co-director of developer Bend Studio stated on the European PlayStation blog.

“With over 300 treasures to be found, we wanted to find a way to allow our fans to delve deeper into the artefact collections and mysteries of the Uncharted universe.”

Here’s a trailer that explains how it all works:

I am pretty sure an action-adventure tunr-based card game is a huge oxymoron. I can't tell if this is just a normal sideproject that they are just having One Loop games doing most of the vast development for while Bend Studio works on something less spinoffie, or are they actually dedicated most of their resources to this.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/black-ops-ii-storms-uk-charts-as-the-biggest-launch-of-2012/0106624
    The latest outing for the Call of Duty series unsurprisingly debuts at No.1 in the UK All Formats Charts.

Black Ops II became the biggest launch of 2012 – eclipsing FIFA 13, which sold 1.2m units in its first two days.

The shooter is also the fourth biggest UK launch of all time. In comparison, last year's Modern Warfare 3 is the second biggest of all time, although it is the biggest in terms of revenue.

Last week, Activision announced Black Ops II generated an estimated $500m worldwide in its first 24 hours, surpassing Black Ops II. It has not announced unit sales yet.

Xbox 360 continues to lead the way with 60 per cent of Black Ops II's sales, with 30 per cent accounted for by PS3.

The console and PC shooter's handheld companion, Black Ops Declassified for Vita, debuted at No.16. It was the second biggest software launch for the handheld to date.

Last week's No.1, Halo 4, gets pushed down to No.2, followed by FIFA 13 and Assassin's Creed III in third and fourth place respectively.

Skylanders Giants climbs to No.5 after a boost in sales that will no doubt continue as Christmas approaches.

The highest other new entry was the Seasons expansion pack for The Sims 3, at No.9.

Elsewhere there was a trio of new entries in the low 20s. Sony's innovative Wonderbook: Book of Spells took No.25, while F1 Race Stars won this week's battle of the family racers. The Codemasters game launched at No.26, followed closely by Sega's Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed at No.27.

Here's the UK All Formats Top 20 in full for the week ending November 17th, 2012:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision)
    2. Halo 4 (Microsoft)
    3. FIFA 13 (EA)
    4. Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft)
    5. Skylanders Giants (Activision)
    6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
    7. Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
    8. Borderlands 2 (2K Games)
    9. The Sims 3: Seasons (EA)
    10. Football Manager 2013 (Sega)
    11. WWE '13 (THQ)
    12. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda)
    13. Moshi Monsters: Moshlings Theme Park (Activision/Mind Candy)
    14. Dishonored (Bethesda)
    15. Forza Motorsport 4 (Microsoft)
    16. Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified (Activision)
    17. Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Microsoft)
    18. New Super Mario Bros 2 (Nintendo)
    19. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (EA)
    20. Resident Evil 6 (Capcom)

LIberation was the third largest release, now the fourth largest release, on the handheld. Victory to the POS with brand name power! On the other hand, it probably sold less than 20k for the week.

Liberation isn't a pos with just a brand name, it's a really good game with some flaws.

• Options
    That's the thing. F2P might work better for the publishers financially but subscriptions do a better job of aligning the publisher's incentives with what makes for a good game.

steam_sig.png