As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    Hmm, I've had much better battery life than that, even when using the device pretty heavily. Did you download the Nokia Drive+ Beta? I've heard from other users that it can ruin battery life, because it automatically enables itself for background processing (which includes polling GPS). Go to settings -> swipe to applications -> background tasks -> Nokia Drive+ Beta -> block.

First thing I did after starting the device was block Nokia drive (heard the same as you).

I'm wondering if it's an LTE issue. The network here in Toronto I average 3 bars even downtown ... That might be draining the battery? I may switch to 3G and see if that makes a difference. Are you on LTE or 3G Dehumanized?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    LTE, greater Seattle area.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I set my email to only push updates once every 30 mins and it seems to have helped a great deal with battery life

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Nokia Lumia 920 is only available through Telstra in Australia.

They've sold out of preorders.

I blame the government.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Here is my 920:
    fnuEs.jpg

So far I like the phone alot. It takes amazing pictures and the OS allows me to organize my notifications via live tiles that gives me instant information in a glance.

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 ... Its still going to be an adjustment but every day in liking the OS more and more.

OS aside the screen and camera on this thing are sick. And LTE is amazing. I do find LTE kills the battery though ... I get 8 hours usually from 100 percent ... I'm a pretty heavy user though.

I've calibrated the battery via drains 3 times now but find it still dies prematurely ... That is to say phones dies but a minute later i turn it back on and still have a half hour of juice left even though battery shows 0.

ive heard this us a widespread problem do im hoping a week of calibration resolves this issue.

Aside from that i love this phone.
    I would have thought it was a feature.

Say you accidentally drained your battery and didn't notice as opposed to having a useless phone, you have a phone you can get 30 emergency minutes out of.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    The 8X is way, way thinner than I expected. Pretty slick. I think I want one for a demo device instead of a 920 just because of the size. Beyond that, the only substantial difference seems to be in the Nokia- and HTC-specific apps. Everything else is at least 90% the same. The onboard storage (16 vs 32 for the same price) seems like a big deal but with Skydrive and streaming music doing most of the work, I don't see anyone needing more than 16GB.

I ran into some issues setting a 920 up for a customer. Two things in particular:

-if you have your Gmail account set to auto-sort your inbox into folders (via Outlook, for example) incoming messages would show up in the inbox for only a brief moment before vanishing. We could get a specific folder to display if we went in and looked for it, but every time we went to the mailbox from the home screen it showed an empty inbox. We never got this sorted out. It made it totally unusable.

-the software that syncs music from iTunes crashed any time we tried to sync more than a handful of songs at any one time. This made syncing a decent-library (1100 songs) completely impractical.

This was enough frustration for him to switch back to an iPhone, but it felt like we were pretty close to figuring out the mailbox thing. And from some research it seemed like other people were having problems with the Windows Phone media sync program, so I figure that'll get sorted out eventually. Still, though. Any ideas?

Some of the stuff WP8 does is just fantastic. Nokia City Lens is one of the coolest things ever. Skydrive put iCloud to shame, and handily replaces the hodgepodge of Google-based stuff (that admittedly works fine) with just one app. Kids Corner is brilliant, why did nobody ever think of this before? Nokia Music is great, and the offline caching (while not exactly new) feels like witchcraft.

I am impressed.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm shocked there even is an option to sync the device with iTunes. Software like this does not play well, going back to the days before iPod came to Windows (and was still a overpriced novelty).

Is it wireless syncing, like the Zune software? I don't believe iPhone/iPod yet does wireless syncing with the home computer, either on Windows or Mac.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm shocked there even is an option to sync the device with iTunes. Software like this does not play well, going back to the days before iPod came to Windows (and was still a overpriced novelty).

Is it wireless syncing, like the Zune software? I don't believe iPhone/iPod yet does wireless syncing with the home computer, either on Windows or Mac.

After a bit of figuring out how to get it working, it works very well with Itunes and the software actually works as an 'iTunes lite' program something a lot of iTunes users have been after. I don't believe it does wireless syncing but i will look into it. The only aspect that hasn't worked is iTunes downloaded movies/TV shows probably because of DRM?

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

After a bit of figuring out how to get it working, it works very well with Itunes and the software actually works as an 'iTunes lite' program something a lot of iTunes users have been after. I don't believe it does wireless syncing but i will look into it. The only aspect that hasn't worked is iTunes downloaded movies/TV shows probably because of DRM?

The DRM is forgivable (even though one thing I can say about the Zune product line, going right up to WP, is how awesomely lenient Microsoft has been with DRM compared to their more successful rivals), especially considering the laundry list of valid complaints against iTunes on Windows. Then again, I doubt the Zune software suite is hot shit on OS X either.

Wireless syncing is awesome (even if it is extremely sensitive to things going wrong), and I really do think Apple and everyone else needs to copy the feature for both smart phones and PMD in general.

• Options
    There is no Zune client on OS X, just the Mac connector software.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular

The DRM is forgivable (even though one thing I can say about the Zune product line, going right up to WP, is how awesomely lenient Microsoft has been with DRM compared to their more successful rivals), especially considering the laundry list of valid complaints against iTunes on Windows. Then again, I doubt the Zune software suite is hot shit on OS X either.

Wireless syncing is awesome (even if it is extremely sensitive to things going wrong), and I really do think Apple and everyone else needs to copy the feature for both smart phones and PMD in general.

IOS has wireless sync btw. you just turn it on in itunes and if your phone/ipad is plugged in and itunes is running on the desktop it will sync automagically for you.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I stand corrected. So WP people who own a Mac....just plug it in?
    Weretaco wrote: »

IOS has wireless sync btw. you just turn it on in itunes and if your phone/ipad is plugged in and itunes is running on the desktop it will sync automagically for you.

That has to be a new feature--I remember looking it up when I was fiddling with Wireless Sync when I bought my Venue Pro, and it was not there. Good on Apple. It's over wifi right? The big attraction of the option, in my mind, is how it can help with restrictive data plans.

Very minor technical complaint: they need to set it up so that iTunes will open on its own, I would say, but I guess iTunes is just left open on OS X typically--my experience with it is purely in an office environment.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    In case anybody is thinking about switching, here's my two cents. My short recommendation is do it now, but the OS is going to be tweaked to improve people's usage experiences once they get field data so if you can stand to wait a few months I might do that.

As a piece of hardware, I love the 920. I just held an iphone again for the first time after owning the phone for a week, and it felt so tiny. Some of the interface decisions are killing me, though, and seem pretty indefensible:
    1) ringing and vibrating are global options. there's no way to set the phone to ring when called and vibrate only when you receive a text message.

2) you can't generate or edit playlists on the phone. there's a klugey way to do it by going through, adding all the songs you want, and creating a playlist from the "now playing" queue (which you can't easily view), but you still can't edit and it's so unintuitive that I couldn't tell you how to do it without googling someone else's instructions again first.

3) live tiles are gorgeous and an amazing idea, but I hope that people on the software side learn how to leverage them better. They could provide more information than they do currently. It is so nice to be able to look at my calendar items for the day without opening the app and a week in I can't imagine not having that feature.

All in all, I am happy from my switch from iOS to WP8. Especially killer is the outlook and word support, which is great for me as somebody with a job. The music function is generally abysmal. I could see somebody who already organized their life via xbox music being really into it, but as a PC-Itunes user it's the only area where I miss my iphone. I am awaiting better app support, but for me the core uses of a smartphone are email, maps, browsing and music, and for everything but music I'm having a far better ux on the 920 than I do on an iphone. Wireless charging is very nice for me because it means I can keep a pad at my desk at work and then at home charge on my (overpriced at moment) JBL speakers with Qi wireless charging http://www.nokia.com/global/products/accessory/md-100w/. The phone is also a steal, going for between $50-$100. Smartphones are too mission critical for me to care much a bout the $100 swing between that and an iphone, but if you're cost sensitive it's something to keep in mind.

Nokia and WP8 seem like a great ecosystem and seems oriented at letting you do things with your phone and your apps as quickly as possible. iOS stands out for ease of use, Android phones give people lots of flexibility with apps and settings - WP8's philosophy seems to be to make things very accessible, but to give you lots of options in how you use your apps and how much of a power-user you want to be in the relatively narrow universe of apps. A great example is with how live tiles work - they have three sizes, and the bigger they are, the more information is displayed, though you have less real estate. Very intuitive like iOS, and flexible like android, but because the ecosystem is young and small, relatively few apps at moment make intelligent use of live tiles.

At its worst, it is both as locked-down as iOS and as user-unfriendly as android can be. The best example of that is with the ringing/vibrating options - while they are global settings, the screen itself doesn't make that clear, and one wouldn't assume that to be the case if they are coming from more civilized phone OSs.

I really like the phone, it's making me consider getting a surface RT so I can live in the same ecoystem with windows 8 on my desktop - I am not crazy about losing the start menu, but if MS is betting correctly on every screen being touch, they are visionary. If not they're nuts. I really hope Microsoft succeeds in all of this - it's a great example of marketplace competition driving the implementation of technology, and they deserve to be rewarded for trying to push things forward and offering a good product. Close to best case for them is that they succeed RIM as the productivity option and capture a share of Android and iOS market share as well.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

So apparently the HTC 8X is coming to Telus; my company's rep tells me they'll have the ATIV S first week of December - anyone have experience with either?

• Options
    I've not been hands on with an 8X, but every review has been glowing about its' design, screen, and implementation of WP8. There seem to be some gripes with the camera... but they mostly are related to how it is not as good as the 920, which is probably the most ridiculous camera on any smartphone since their last PureView camera. The storage capacity is a little bit of a bummer, but if you use Xbox Music's streaming library then I think you should be okay with the 16GB model.

As far as the ATIV S -- it's not out anywhere yet, so nobody's really had experience with it. It's basically a Samsung Galaxy S III with WP8 on it, so if you just want a powerhouse phone and don't care too much about the way the phone physically looks then you probably can't go too wrong.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Side by side, the screen on the 8x looks far better (pure whites etc) than the ATIV S. Was curious if that was just a one off, or it really was that dramatic. The bigger battery and SD card though...

Comparison vid here; mute to avoid terrible reviewer commentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqY1Nf-hBk

Nosf on
  • Options
    The ATIV S is also powering a screen that is a full .5" bigger, so any gains in battery size might be mitigated by that. The screens in all three flagship WP8 phones (8X, ATIV S, 920) are all phenomenal, so I don't think you have much to worry about with any of the choices. Given that they all fit three variations of the large phone form factor (4.3", 4.5", 4.8"), that's probably going to be your biggest factor in judging them against each other.

• Options
    If past Samsung phones are anything to go on by, a slight increase in size means a big battery size increase.

• Options
    The ATIV S battery is actually 200mAH bigger than the Galaxy S III, despite having identical physical dimensions and the same screen.

• Options
    Asked my boss if I could get an HTC 8X last week after Bell released it up here but he's making wait until he's back on Wednesday to discuss it. Please get me out of this blackberry boss!

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

I stand corrected. So WP people who own a Mac....just plug it in?
    Weretaco wrote: »

That has to be a new feature--I remember looking it up when I was fiddling with Wireless Sync when I bought my Venue Pro, and it was not there. Good on Apple. It's over wifi right? The big attraction of the option, in my mind, is how it can help with restrictive data plans.

Very minor technical complaint: they need to set it up so that iTunes will open on its own, I would say, but I guess iTunes is just left open on OS X typically--my experience with it is purely in an office environment.

On the Mac App store theres the WP connector software. Install that then plug in. I posted before that you need to select the folder you want to sync with on the software before it will sync properly.

As for the Samsung WP8 and the HTC 8X, The Samsung is still using that awful plastic body the Galaxy S series are using and the screen seems to be of lower quality than that of its own Galaxy S line. The HTC model feels really nice but is missing some of the awesome camera features the imaging chip has on Android (the phone is based on the One X model) like recording video and taking stills at the same time.

Both phones though are very good otherwise, as others have said they just pale in comparison to the 920.

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I have the 8x and I'm really liking it. I don't have a ton of experience with smart phones to compare it to though. I love the design and size. A 16:9 screen is a little weird in the phone world (I think) but I've come to rather like the long shape of it. The way they curve the back gives it the appearance of being thinner than it really is. The biggest gripe about the phone itself is the power button is flush with the body and can be hard to find and depress at times. I have a seperate iPod for my music so I don't see myself having any issues with the 16 gigs of space. I also don't use the camera on my phone much so not being as good as arguably the best camera out there isn't a big deal. The speaker on the device and the call quality is nice as well.

Vesty on
  • Options

I had a HTC HD7 at my previous job and the pictures it took looked great if I took my time; I actually started to use it to document service tags and what not as it was a whole lot easier and quicker than writing things down. I know at least a few shots I took of my beagle made people comment on how nice they looked. The only bitch I had about that one was the auto flash was pants on head retarded, it would frequently glare out things despite there being more than enough light to take the pic. I just started to manually toggle it as needed.

Sadly the 920 is a Rogers exclusive here, and we're on Telus. For the first time ever, the carrier ACTUALLY PUT FORTH EFFORT to keep our business, previous to that, we switched everytime the contract was up. In fact, I can't think of anyone offhand who doesn't do that, which made Telus working to keep the business a totally bizarre circumstance. When my wife comes due for her upgrade credit, I'll likely get her an 820; she can replace her phone and mp3 player in one fell swoop and the music sync works so well against Windows 7.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Rumblings of an Apollo+ update q1 2013

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So, I have a Lumia 920 now.

It is pretty damn slick.

However, I am also most confused:

Firstly, whenever I send a multipart SMS message it gets converted into an MMS automatically. Is this a feature of the Lumia 920 or my base image? I can't find a way to change that.

Secondly, the upload to skydrive for pictures is all borked and disabled - see this thread http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Windows-Phones/Missing-backup-options-on-Telstra-Lumia-920/td-p/101658. Basically the upload Best Quality (needs WiFi access) option is gone from the phone. Any other non-Telstra Lumia 920 users have this option enabled/disabled?

Anyone know how/if I can restore it to a non-carrier specific image?

EDIT: Also, not working with Zune any more is a kick in the teeth, I just got a system working for that. The App store in my windows 8 installation fully does not work, which is less than ideal, so I do not yet understand the windows 8 app experience. However, it looks like my days of convenient podcasting have come to a close.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I picked up an 8X and tried it for a few days before going back to my Galaxy Nexus. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, but I had no idea how much I would miss certain apps from Android. I'm considering returning this for now and checking back into it in a few months. I was happy to learn that I could swap my sim card in and out of each phone. If I was made of money, I could easily roll with both and swap whenever I wanted to. I didn't know I could do that on Verizon.

• Options
    Mai-Kero - before you take the 8X back, can you confirm/deny that your longform SMS are sent as MMS?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I'm pretty sure my old HTC Arrive did that too. Only pretty sure, though -- I've wiped the device and didn't send many SMS messages that were that long, so I have no way of really checking.

Wifi photo upload is available on my ATT 920, no problems... though I think it thrashed my battery a bit one day when uploading a bunch of images.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    My Omnia 7 defo does not convert everything to MMS.

I think this might be rampant profiteering.

• Options
    Try going to Settings > swipe > Messaging.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I picked up an 8X and tried it for a few days before going back to my Galaxy Nexus. It's a beautiful piece of hardware, but I had no idea how much I would miss certain apps from Android. I'm considering returning this for now and checking back into it in a few months. I was happy to learn that I could swap my sim card in and out of each phone. If I was made of money, I could easily roll with both and swap whenever I wanted to. I didn't know I could do that on Verizon.

I had a similar experience with the lumia, but it was due to a codec support issue for .wav files. I feel bad for Nokia especially because the wp8 phones have killer hardware but wp really let people by not launching with a minimum of app support.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    My Lumia 920 is chewing battery like crazy.

It is on 4G, is running Skype and Nokia drive is disabled in background tasks.

It suddenly lost 8% of batteries and stopped being able to send SMS or update anything (as in acknowledge thany estates have been read) and every app kept crashing.

Hooray.

But it is so fun to hold.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Is NFC stuff on? Apparently NFC causes battery problems for some people. Give that a go before trying something else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Couldn't tell you exactly what changed, but my battery life has stabilized to a crazy amount in the last few days. Battery saver is always providing estimates that add up to over a day of battery, sometimes two. The only thing I've really changed recently is adjusting my email sync frequency.

A couple hours after I went off charger yesterday, I checked the battery info and it was reporting 100% remaining. It had been completely idle in that time, of course, but I was so surprised that I rebooted the phone to try to figure out if it was fucking with me. It wasn't. No battery drain while idle. At all.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Couldn't tell you exactly what changed, but my battery life has stabilized to a crazy amount in the last few days. Battery saver is always providing estimates that add up to over a day of battery, sometimes two. The only thing I've really changed recently is adjusting my email sync frequency.

A couple hours after I went off charger yesterday, I checked the battery info and it was reporting 100% remaining. It had been completely idle in that time, of course, but I was so surprised that I rebooted the phone to try to figure out if it was fucking with me. It wasn't. No battery drain while idle. At all.

NFC and BT off.

Screen sensitivity to normal, that shit seems to drain.

Email frequency to 30 mins minimum.

Nokia Drive off.

My phone makes it all day!

(On the plus side, I've seen a ton of new updates from Nokia through the app store. Maybe they're addressing the problem like this? I mean, the new configuration I dl'ed seems to have better battery life.)

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I can go a few days with NFC and BT on, hour email frequency, and Nokia Drive very, very off. And if I don't play Angry Birds Star Wars, which seems to chew up 2% every minute.

Not bad, considering 8 is a completely new OS under the hood. I expect the app-driven weirdness will go away before too long.

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    The updates on the Nokia apps are coming pretty fast. I have a feeling that by the end of Q1 2013 wp8 (and the apollo+ update) will be a real beast and the app situation will have sorted itself, especially with a lot of the big name holes being filled.

That being said, its been two weeks with my 920 and never have I ever owned such a fantastic phone. 3 years ago if you would've told me the same company that produced my shitty Samsung Jack's OS would have made this I would've told you were full of shit.

• Options
    Neato site for people switching to wp8

http://xyo.net/lumia/ipad/?inclWP8=True&country=US

I'd wish they had a "coming from blackberry" option for me but oh wait.. there are no good apps on blackberry :)

• Options
    I'm now hearing ATIV S in mid December. Man, this Blackberry Bold is 10 kinds of useless outside of mail.

• Options
    I have an HTC 8X incoming from Bell so I'm still stuck on my blackberry 9860 until it shows up. The wait is painfull.