As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linux Thread - beta version 5 build 6200 alpha release 2

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You have all kinds of options. Gnome and KDE are just to two most used. Linux has the graphical toys.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PanickdPanickd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You have all kinds of options. Gnome and KDE are just to two most used. Linux has the graphical toys.

If it won't load the graphics driver for my video card I don't have any options at all (except CLI). And for some reason the standard SVGA X server refuses to run with my card so it's gotta be ATI's driver or nothing at all.

Panickd on
    Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Ahh. Well, luckily for you, Dell is pressuring ATI for better drivers.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Good, because I'd like some better drivers, goddamnit! :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2007

Somehow this doesn't placate me. O_o

Panickd on
    edited August 2007
    Panickd wrote: »

I guess I am not understanding the problem then.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

If it won't load the graphics driver for my video card I don't have any options at all (except CLI). And for some reason the standard SVGA X server refuses to run with my card so it's gotta be ATI's driver or nothing at all.
    Which drivers did you try? 'vesa' and 'fbdev' ought to work for most computers.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited August 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Neither of those will load an X Server for my card for some reason (or maybe there needs to be some special config to get them to work). And the ATI driver will work, I just don't have the time to be hacking the config files for it ATM.

The fact that ATI/AMD cards may have top notch drivers "one day" doesn't do much for me "today". ATI has been promising solid, good performing Linux drivers for years and while I think the drivers are getting better (i.e. at least they exist and can run 3D apps) they are far from the quality thats been promised.

Not that I'm bitching. I knew that when I bought the ATI card. And the fact that Dell is now pressing them for better drivers only means that Dell realizes their drivers are crap too. It doesn't mean that ATI is going to do anything but make the same tired promises they have before though.

Panickd on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Neither of those will load an X Server for my card for some reason (or maybe there needs to be some special config to get them to work). And the ATI driver will work, I just don't have the time to be hacking the config files for it ATM.

The fact that ATI/AMD cards may have top notch drivers "one day" doesn't do much for me "today". ATI has been promising solid, good performing Linux drivers for years and while I think the drivers are getting better (i.e. at least they exist and can run 3D apps) they are far from the quality thats been promised.

Not that I'm bitching. I knew that when I bought the ATI card. And the fact that Dell is now pressing them for better drivers only means that Dell realizes their drivers are crap too. It doesn't mean that ATI is going to do anything but make the same tired promises they have before though.

Having a major OEM breathing down their neck should help considerably.

MKR on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you tried a distribution besides Gentoo? Not that it has to do with anything, but you should be able to use a distro that uses a graphical installer with hardware detection to at least get the display running. I know ATI's drivers are shit, but you should still be able to get X.org up and running, even without hardware acceleration. If you can get it working with something like a LiveCD, you can see how it set up the X server and using which drivers and try to replicate that on your install.

Monoxide on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wanna chime in too, the Dell thing is important because it means Dell won't use ATI devices in any of their Linux laptops, which will cut out a market segment for ATI.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In my opinion, Linux is the best choice for an operating system (free :D). The only reason I boot into Windows every single day of my existance is for its 3rd-party support, which is... basically, from my perspective the only thing keeping this alive.

Everyone and their mom uses it (Windows Pains), so everyone and their mom will keep on using it, and the average joe I-don't-care-about-my-computer-as-long-as-it-runs won't change either. Having to depart from the norm will shake them to their core, and come crying back to the person that set it up, claiming that it won't work or some other BS, and the only thing that would fix it is lines of (simple) CLI-ing, which is vastly beyond their scope. (Hell, if your reading this forum, much less this thread, your qualified to run Linux (and go do it, too!))

Hopefully, with this age of more user-friendly Loonuxes (Ubuntu) will fix this horrid problem, and Microsoft will spiral into red-inked blackness.

Will it happen? Probably not.

Even if some random encounter (wild grue) appears and this whole "Lets try to make my mother use Linux!" wave fails, there will always be the sect of penguins, huddling in the corner knowing that they are better.

penguin5201 on
    edited August 2007
    See, I don't buy into that Linux elitism bullshit. I love Ubuntu, and I love the options it gives me in customization and how I run things, but I also love Windows and would never give it up completely. I don't think one is better than the other (nor do I think either are better than OSX, though I think all three are better in some areas than others), and I don't look down on anyone who doesn't like Linux or doesn't have the time and/or knowledge to use it, or cares enough to. I see it as just another option for people like us who DO want something different.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think this is an appropriate place to vent and even if it isn't, meh, so here goes:

KDE, for the most part, is just plain ugly, it reminds me of the kids on the gfx forumz in 2002 following all the leet Photoshop 7 tutorials and making pathetic 'abstract' art with dodgy brushing and horrible 'renders' from 3DSM 5. Oh, and don't forget a lens flare or 2 and some filters, you can never have too many filters.

I like Gnome a bit but there's just so much damn wasted space, what is their obsession?! On my Linux HDD I currently have Ubuntu 7.04 [Gnome] installed with Compiz Fusion + Emerald [Currently a RezLooks theme or something] so it looks decent but it still doesn't change the above.

Sorry, I just saw some KDE4 & Amarok 2.0 shots and I wanted to get this out there.

Edit: More to vent about; why is it that on gnome-look it seems almost every theme is a freaking rip off of Vista and is actually just a quick rehash of a Vista theme from someone else on there or it's some horrible OSX rip off - it's a bloody embarrassing joke.

Another edit: I just read penguin5201's post, what a joke, you people need to ditch the "M$ SHOULD DIE LOLZ" along with the stupid elitism and other faults of the outspoken pro-Linux guys, seriously.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited August 2007
    I don't want Microsoft to go away forever. I still use Windows XP.

However, I want them to stop lieing, cheating, and stealing to stay on top.

*shrug* I know, I know, wish in one hand etc etc...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A few questions for the Ubuntu-savvy out there.

First, I installed Ubuntu on another computer the other day, wanting to test it for speed and stability and the like because I am considering advising my girlfriends mother to switch to Ubuntu due to her CONSTANT complaints that her computer/internet is too slow, etc... (We already have dialup and I'd be willing to bet any extra slowdown is due to bloat caused by spyware or something)

I was wondering, are the Openoffice documents fully compatible with MS office documents? Or are there subtle differences that will either prevent the use of .xls or .doc files she uses in XP? Furthermore, if she were to hook a digital camera up to it, are there any user friendly editing programs, since the one that came with her camera is for windows? Also, it's possible to emulate a windows environment to run some software, isn't it? What are the minimum specs you'd need to run it any kind of smooth?

Next, pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering why, in the Add/Remove programs, it lists many, many games and applications packed with Ubuntu, but a lot of them come with a message saying I either need special hardware or the developer chose not to support my platform. (i386) Are some of these programs developed to run on Linux on Apple hardware, or something to that effect? Or is my computer simply not up to spec to run these applications?

Bringing me to my next question... I have a GeForce 4 MX 440, which Ubuntu recognizes. However, when I click desktop effects, it tells me I need to activate the Nvidia driver and restart my computer. Everytime I try this, however, the driver is disabled by the time the computer starts up. Do I need to find an updated driver, since the one in Ubuntu doesn't seem to be working, or am I stuck? (Not that it matters much... I'm really only using the card to eliminate the memory sharing that the onboard card does. The MX 440 overheated long ago and shows artifacts when rendering complex 3D.)

Any answers are appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

NofrikinfuN on
  • penguin5201penguin5201 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't fix the others but yes, openoffice is fully Word (basically Microsoft Office) filetype compatible.

penguin5201 on
    edited August 2007
    Well, it is as compatible with Microsoft office formats as Microsoft is.

That isn't saying much, but there you have it.

Your driver question might be better answered on the Ubuntu forums.

Edit: Unless someone beats me to it, I will answer your other questions when I have time to write more about it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A few questions for the Ubuntu-savvy out there.

First, I installed Ubuntu on another computer the other day, wanting to test it for speed and stability and the like because I am considering advising my girlfriends mother to switch to Ubuntu due to her CONSTANT complaints that her computer/internet is too slow, etc... (We already have dialup and I'd be willing to bet any extra slowdown is due to bloat caused by spyware or something)

I was wondering, are the Openoffice documents fully compatible with MS office documents? Or are there subtle differences that will either prevent the use of .xls or .doc files she uses in XP? Furthermore, if she were to hook a digital camera up to it, are there any user friendly editing programs, since the one that came with her camera is for windows? Also, it's possible to emulate a windows environment to run some software, isn't it? What are the minimum specs you'd need to run it any kind of smooth?

Next, pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering why, in the Add/Remove programs, it lists many, many games and applications packed with Ubuntu, but a lot of them come with a message saying I either need special hardware or the developer chose not to support my platform. (i386) Are some of these programs developed to run on Linux on Apple hardware, or something to that effect? Or is my computer simply not up to spec to run these applications?

Bringing me to my next question... I have a GeForce 4 MX 440, which Ubuntu recognizes. However, when I click desktop effects, it tells me I need to activate the Nvidia driver and restart my computer. Everytime I try this, however, the driver is disabled by the time the computer starts up. Do I need to find an updated driver, since the one in Ubuntu doesn't seem to be working, or am I stuck? (Not that it matters much... I'm really only using the card to eliminate the memory sharing that the onboard card does. The MX 440 overheated long ago and shows artifacts when rendering complex 3D.)

Any answers are appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Office stuff: I have never had problems getting all the data across either direction, going between Office and Open Office. However, the formatting can go a bit wonky in Word documents, particularly if you have lots of images or graphs or other complicated formatting. Then again, I have problems of that sort when I just switch between Windows computers running Word, so. But I have never had a problem getting Open Office to open anything (even files that MS Office thinks are corrupted).

Camera stuff: Off the top of my head, I think F-Spot is bundled with Ubuntu for digital photo stuff, and it does have some simple editing in there, but I've never really used it. Alternatively, Google has put together a version of Picasa for Linux (I believe it's actually running through Wine, so you can use it to gauge how that behaves on the computer).

Add/Remove oddness: Unless something weird happened to your repositories, I would think everything in Add/Remove should be available for your computer. i386 is by far the most common platform. Can you list the exact error message you get and/or your sources.list? (Go to terminal, type more /etc/apt/sources.list)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to check the exact error message when I go home tonight.

As for office, I kind of doubt I would be able to use it for personal work stuff (I use a ton of complicated formulas, conditional formatting and visual basic macros in excel), but it sounds fine for the basics, so it should work for her just fine, I would think. Thanks!

NofrikinfuN on
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try to check the exact error message when I go home tonight.

As for office, I kind of doubt I would be able to use it for personal work stuff (I use a ton of complicated formulas, conditional formatting and visual basic macros in excel), but it sounds fine for the basics, so it should work for her just fine, I would think. Thanks!

I would advise importing your most complex excel spreadsheet just to test it out. You may be surprised.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TarTar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im going to throw my .02 into the fire and let them melt...

I love all unix ('cept for AIX and HPUX... oh and SCO), but remember that the greatness of unix lies not in the fact that it has a stable desktop, but in that there are so many things you can do with it that cost you $0. I encourage you guys to take it a step further. Currently I have 2 freeBSD machines, one is a desktop running xfce/x.org the other is my shell, music and web server, i samba mount mp3s to my win32 desktop so it can sync up to itunes, but it also streams out my entire music lib so anywhere there is inet, i have my tunes. My server is also my bittorrent whore via torrentflux. I still keep my win32 desktop for gaming/itunes, but my heart is with *nix.

Also, just one more point, learning the ins and outs of unix/linux makes for a good career move. Once you know enough, you can make it your career.

Tar on
    AC:WW 2191.0414.2547 Tar in Red Hill PM me if you add me!
    TETRIS DS 760.559 466.343
    clubhouse 270.663 522.426
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tar wrote: »
    Im going to throw my .02 into the fire and let them melt...

I love all unix ('cept for AIX and HPUX... oh and SCO), but remember that the greatness of unix lies not in the fact that it has a stable desktop, but in that there are so many things you can do with it that cost you $0. I encourage you guys to take it a step further. Currently I have 2 freeBSD machines, one is a desktop running xfce/x.org the other is my shell, music and web server, i samba mount mp3s to my win32 desktop so it can sync up to itunes, but it also streams out my entire music lib so anywhere there is inet, i have my tunes. My server is also my bittorrent whore via torrentflux. I still keep my win32 desktop for gaming/itunes, but my heart is with *nix.

Also, just one more point, learning the ins and outs of unix/linux makes for a good career move. Once you know enough, you can make it your career.

Now this is the kind of stuff I want to do with linux. Do you recommend any good sites/books to help with learning the ins and outs of linux?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone have any experience with PCLinuxOS?

minigunwielder on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The furthest I've gone with networking and interesting stuff is to use Synergy between my Windows desktop and my Ubuntu laptop. Lets you use your mouse and keyboard for both by just moving the cursor out of your current monitor and onto the next one. Just like having two monitors, but with two different OSs as well. It's pretty awesome.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ is the address if any of you are interested. The setup can be a bit daunting because there are quite a few steps and unfortunately a lot of open source developers do nothing for user friendliness. If anyone needs any help with it let me know.

Centipeed on
    edited August 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    The furthest I've gone with networking and interesting stuff is to use Synergy between my Windows desktop and my Ubuntu laptop. Lets you use your mouse and keyboard for both by just moving the cursor out of your current monitor and onto the next one. Just like having two monitors, but with two different OSs as well. It's pretty awesome.

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ is the address if any of you are interested. The setup can be a bit daunting because there are quite a few steps and unfortunately a lot of open source developers do nothing for user friendliness. If anyone needs any help with it let me know.

Synergy is awesome, and easier to set up than it seems.

You basically just name the two monitors (monitor1, monitor2) then tell Synergy that monitor 1 is left of monitor 2, and monitor 2 is right of monitor 1. Then you can run it as a server on your Windows desktop, and connect to it via your ubuntu box with

'synergyc -name ubuntu <Windows IP address>' in a terminal window.

Add it to your ubuntu startup via editing the RC files or adding it in the Sessions menu (under Preferences), and you'll rarely ever need to have a separate keyboard.

Monoxide on
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    That seems awesome, also, as my question was on the last page, does PCLinuxOS have drivers for a 1390 Wireless card?

minigunwielder on
    edited August 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

You basically just name the two monitors (monitor1, monitor2) then tell Synergy that monitor 1 is left of monitor 2, and monitor 2 is right of monitor 1. Then you can run it as a server on your Windows desktop, and connect to it via your ubuntu box with

Add it to your ubuntu startup via editing the RC files or adding it in the Sessions menu (under Preferences), and you'll rarely ever need to have a separate keyboard.

Just curious, there isn't a way to run Ubuntu on one monitor and Xp on another from the same box? I don't think so but I figured I'd ask.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

Just curious, there isn't a way to run Ubuntu on one monitor and Xp on another from the same box? I don't think so but I figured I'd ask.

You could virtual PC Linux under Windows and then fullscreen the virtual PC on the second monitor, but you'd have to manually do that every time, I think, and the performance would be less than stellar.

Centipeed on
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

You could virtual PC Linux under Windows and then fullscreen the virtual PC on the second monitor, but you'd have to manually do that every time, I think, and the performance would be less than stellar.

That'd be a huge pain in the ass, yeah.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2007
    Dell says my new PC has shipped, and should be delivered tomorrow.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited August 2007
    You can actually run Ubuntu and XP from the same box on the same monitor at the same time. Like this:

seamless_screenshot.png
    He has a dual monitor setup, but you don't need one.

Tutorial link

I set this up, and it's kind of cool, though not something you'd want to be running all the time. A hell of a lot easier and nicer than rebooting or running it in a virtual machine with it's own desktop, though, and surprisingly fast. It's handled through your window manager, so you can alt tab between Windows and Linux apps with full Beryl support (except stuff like wobbly windows, that only works if you hold alt while moving your Windows apps around)

You can also patch the XP VM so that it allows unlimited RDP connections, and then make individual launchers for each application you'd want to run from windows, which would look a little nicer (no start bar on your screen), but I haven't tried it. I think it's in that thread somewhere.

Monoxide on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks to this thread I was inspired and installed Ubuntu. Again.

I've got my Bluetooth mouse and keyboard working, but how do I go about enabling Ubuntu to read the drive I keep all of my music, movies, games, and pictures on? It's an NTFS drive.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I believe it should be able to read it without any special steps, but won't be able to write to NTFS without some modification. I could be wrong though...

check your /media/ directory, your windows partitions should be in there (hda1, etc).

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was actually able to just browse to My Documents folder and get to my music that way.

Now I just have to find a good media player. Does Amarok work in any other X servers aside from KDE?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited August 2007
    I was actually able to just browse to My Documents folder and get to my music that way.

Now I just have to find a good media player. Does Amarok work in any other X servers aside from KDE?

I installed Amarok on my Ubuntu laptop, so, yes.

EDIT: sudo apt-get install amarok ... Just in case you didn't know.

Centipeed on
    edited August 2007
    Last question... I think.

Is there any way to set up dual monitors so that windows do not appear between both monitors? In addition, is there any was that I can use what amounts to Dualview in XP instead of Twinview? I've got an NVidia card and Separate X Screen does not appear to work.

Descendant X on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

KDE isn't an X server, it's a desktop environment. X.org is the X server that is used by...well, basically every single non-console application on your PC.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited August 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »

KDE isn't an X server, it's a desktop environment. X.org is the X server that is used by...well, basically every single non-console application on your PC.

Fair enough.

Regardless, Amarok doesn't seem to like playing the music files that I've got on my Windows drive. Rythmbox has no problem. I like Amarok much better. Is there any way around this?

An addition, when I have dual monitors enabled and I restart, I lose the title bars at the top of the windows. What's going on here?

Descendant X on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Regardless, Amarok doesn't seem to like playing the music files that I've got on my Windows drive. Rythmbox has no problem. I like Amarok much better. Is there any way around this?

Try installing the libxine-extracodecs package and see if it's happy.

Don't forget to restart Amarok.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru