As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: High Obscuro

TubeTube Registered User admin
i-vQQqrmf-X3.jpg

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dog accidentally ate some chocolate

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    nooo poor dog

Tycho's news post today has relevant stuff for us forum denizens:
    My relationship with the forum is that I do not have a relationship with the forum. That’s been true virtually since the Phorum, which is a reference designed to create a calculated nostalgia in the old school. I have a fairly profound sense of place, and where it is appropriate for me to be, and to be frank I have no business inserting myself into the readership in that way. They don’t need my help. In fact, I don’t see the use in talking to anyone, at any time. It seems like that’s where most of the problems come from.

Robert asked me once how I’d feel about comments after my newspost; I laughed at him for ten minutes, without breathing.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    In case anyone is interested to the best of my recollection we've never removed anything from the forum on someone's request, and would only do it if it were something like a phone number posted without permission. If you post your own phone number and later want it removed we won't do it.

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I had hoped they would make a strip out of this.

They have not disappointed.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    At the first two words I thought this was gonna be a strip about Virtue's Last Reward.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I kind of wish Tycho would hang out on the forum

I think he'd fit in here

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, but then there would always be silly geese who wanted to tell him how to write his comic, and that's no fun. I'm sure he gets plenty of that via e-mail already.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested to the best of my recollection we've never removed anything from the forum on someone's request, and would only do it if it were something like a phone number posted without permission. If you post your own phone number and later want it removed we won't do it.

it's true, people

even if the thing on the forum creates a federal investigation and shit

take responsibility for your posts

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Kind of curious what prompted this.

steam_sig.png
  • SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    What thread did this occur and is it an enjoyable read?

EDIT: nevermind, found it.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Kind of curious what prompted this.
    Gabe posted a news post about this.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Wasn't there a guy (I'm not going to name names for obvious reasons) who decided to run for political office or something and asked for all traces of him (his posts, his profile) to be scrubbed off the forums?

That's what someone mentioned to me, when I asked why a certain really cool thread he made some years back wasn't coming up in search.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Just read the thread... What a waste of time the described process is.

steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    What I don't quite get is how the information came to be posted anyway. A year old necro post on a three year old H&A thread is an odd thing to suddenly get your panties in a bunch over.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's quite possible it shows up on a google search and maybe the group is trying to crack down on the leaks of their secrets?

Though that seems silly.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the thing that's wacky about it is, there's only like, three or four secret handshakes that exist

a hand just does not have that many configurations in which a shake works

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Can they sue PA for not taking down the information?

I find it hard to believe that they can but I'm not a lawyer.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    no, they can't

honestly I'm kind of blown away that the actual national org could be bothered to even shoot off a form letter about this

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who finds the concept of grown men using secret handshakes incredibly silly?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The only thing they could do is inform the skull and bones frat who would then send dick Cheney to consume their souls with his deathless gaze.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds the concept of grown men using secret handshakes incredibly silly?

No ................ no your really not. It really is just a hangover from the treehouse clubs of youth. At least I know and admit my geeky predilections have a basis in my childhood. But these frat boys don't, and they will be the future business and government leaders of their country.

Actually now I think about it, kinda explains an awful lot .........

Sgt.Big_Bubbaloola on

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    These are women.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Grown women.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I honestly did not know before five minutes ago that Fraternities/Sororoties stood for anything.

... Er, well, that their names stood for anything, at least.

Look. There's no such thing as secrecy, especially in this modern age. Isn't one of the biggest arguments against conspiracies the idea that if so many people were in the know, that at least 1 person would blab? Same concept here. With how many thousands of members have been part of these organizations, things are not going to stay hidden forever. Hell, my family has a history of being masons, and one of my friends is climbing up the ranks right now.

Claiming "Trade Secrets" is a bit of stretch, to say the least, without entering the items into the public record - which defeats the whole damned point.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Grown women.

Go on...

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular

No ................ no your really not. It really is just a hangover from the treehouse clubs of youth. At least I know and admit my geeky predilections have a basis in my childhood. But these frat boys don't, and they will be the future business and government leaders of their country.

Actually now I think about it, kinda explains an awful lot .........

No one in Greek life has any misconceptions about what they are doing ritually being anything other than silly and fun. The folks who take it too seriously are the ones who get bogged down in the operational aspects, trying to organize a group perfectly, ignoring the fact that you have pretty much 100% membership turnover inside of four to six years.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Asharad wrote: »
    These are women.

ITT asharad claims women can lead companies or governments. :bz

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Someone else posted the comment about the group. They don't seem to have had anything to do with it.

Just because they haven't removed a post before doesn't mean they shouldn't. And I guess he doesn't like being told to do things...but I don't either. It does not alter the fact that there are some things are okay and even proper to remove.

And just because you or Gabe might think it's silly, well that doesn't mean you can be a dick about it. If a disgruntled employee at Penny Arcade (I know, I know, impossible lol) decides to post business plans, financial stuff, payroll information, stuff that is secretive and doesn't need to be out...you think Gabe would care a hell of a lot more?

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    How are 'secret' handshakes and ceremonies a trade secret? What product does the sorority have in the marketplace?

Reading the description in the thread, it sounds like an overly serious LARP session. Kinda surprised no one throws pebbles while yelling "LIGHTNING BOLT!" repeatedly.

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

it's true, people

even if the thing on the forum creates a federal investigation and shit

Curiosity is increasing...

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    no, they can't

honestly I'm kind of blown away that the actual national org could be bothered to even shoot off a form letter about this

Pretty much. At least for the Fraternity I was in, the secrets weren't copyrighted or anything, and it was purely up to members to keep them secret, since there's nothing the national org can do about it if they get out. I've looked for ours on the internet, but the only thing I've found is a scan of our original (1914) ritual that we don't use anymore.

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Men, women, what's the difference, really?

:rotate:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Can they sue PA for not taking down the information?

I find it hard to believe that they can but I'm not a lawyer.

You'd have to make the case that Penny Arcade Corp. were the ones that posted the content, rather than someone using the forum as a medium of circumstance.

My question is, can a secret handshake actually be legally trademarked and owned as a thing. I guess it is since Tim Tebow at least filed for "Tebowing" as a trademark.

• AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    I haven't even seen a member of my fraternity on campus to do all our stupid secret shit with.

Sort of disappointing.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's because the things college kids actually do is no secret: get wasted at parties on the weekend.

DISCLAIMER: FLIPPANT JOKE, NOBODY GET WOUNDED BY THIS ON THE REALZ.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Men, women, what's the difference, really?

:rotate:

Men don't get orgasms from carnival rides thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/146908/crazy_amusement_park_ride_gives

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "Penetrate the sanctum of Besties Brunch" is now my favorite new euphemism. I'm not sure what it means yet, but it has to mean something.

• Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    Here in the UK, we don't really have the whole collegiate fraternity society crapola with secret decoder rings. It may still kinda exist in a limited way via the Freemasons or toffs groups like the Bullingdon Club though.

Sometimes I feel I may have missed out on it at University, but then I remember that I simply went out and got ragingly pissed ...... all without the homoerotic overtones. Well up until that night with the rugby team and a case of tequila ................ ahhh good times.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel I may have missed out on it at University, but then I remember that I simply went out and got ragingly pissed ...... all without the homoerotic overtones. Well up until that night with the rugby team and a case of tequila ................ ahhh good times.

But the homoerotic overtones are the best part! Anywhere else you'd have to pay good money for a strapping young man to smack your ass with a paddle.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Wasn't there a guy (I'm not going to name names for obvious reasons) who decided to run for political office or something and asked for all traces of him (his posts, his profile) to be scrubbed off the forums?

That's what someone mentioned to me, when I asked why a certain really cool thread he made some years back wasn't coming up in search.

All knowledge of that event was scrubbed from Tube's mind immediately afterwards, the Admins here are exceptionally thorough.

Tastyfish on