As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two New Videos - New Trailer and Gameplay

LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In CyberspaceThe Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2007 in Penny Arcade Games
Just released today from Comic-Con and are hosted up at GameTrailers.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4564.html

Looks very nice.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
Legacy on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    <3!

After watching: Hmm... they seem to have gone the Final Fantasy "make the player run a lot so that they don't finish the game too fast" route. It's not gameplay if I'm just moving to the next fun part, guys.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • graphicsgodgraphicsgod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes!! the gods have spoken (and when I mean gods, I mean Gabe and Tycho)!!

This is looking freaking beautiful!! Although the animation for the cartoon video segments looks a little weird in the animating dept. I'm just going on thats the style they want it to be, and leaving it at that. Otherwise it reminds me of some of my favorite RPG's **cough** Final Fantasy **cough**. Uh had something in my throat ;).

These new videos are a hundred times better than the last ones released, and show what we can expect when playing. I'm super serial..'ly hyped now ;)!! Must buy f'ing game!! Now the next question is,.. when is it going to be done?

P.S. Thanks, Legacy, for the find!!

graphicsgod on
  • graphicsgodgraphicsgod Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    <3!

After watching: Hmm... they seem to have gone the Final Fantasy "make the player run a lot so that they don't finish the game too fast" route. It's not gameplay if I'm just moving to the next fun part, guys.

...I rather liked FF 6,7,&10. BTW...

What other way could it be done? Or rather, what way did you want it to go?

After thinking about it, I think they chose the better route for this game. I'd hate it if the game was over too soon.

Oh.. on a side note... I rented "The Simpson's Hit and Run" last week (hopefully I have the right developer). LOL, man have you guys (ie. Hot head) come a long way!!! Hopefully Gabe and Tycho don't say the same thing over and over and over again every five seconds. The world doesn't feel dead and boring. And mini-games that make you want to hit your head into a wall till you go into a coma ;)!

graphicsgod on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i liked the look of the videos, certainly a convincing argument for the game. Good work, chaps.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Caio ThorCaio Thor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't wanna be a douchebag but looks a little stupid point&click game. I was expecting smthng with more action.

Caio Thor on
    edited July 2007
    They've said many, many times that they wanted to do an adventure game, and the type of combat that they chose to tack on to it was FF-style turn-based party combat. So if you were expecting something else, well, it's your own fault.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I really like the UI. And I love the multicolored clown blood.

LightRider on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My eyebrow is raised in intrigue.

Meiz on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will admit that my sole interest in this game is the fact that Ron Gilbert is involved, but it looks like it's coming along nicely. Here's hoping the adventure aspect is not forgotten, and the episodic releases come at regular intervals.

Thello on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks beautifully inspired from Gabe's art, I only hope that some of Tycho's writing shows up in there somewhere too. Animation looks gorgeous, combat looks like it's going to be good old turn based fun. I can't wait to make my own character to fight along Gabe and Tycho.

Bought on day of release, of course.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really like the overall visuals for the game, but it looks downright slow and boring.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited July 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Looks beautifully inspired from Gabe's art, I only hope that some of Tycho's writing shows up in there somewhere too. Animation looks gorgeous, combat looks like it's going to be good old turn based fun. I can't wait to make my own character to fight along Gabe and Tycho.

Bought on day of release, of course.

Tycho is writing every line of dialog in the game.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks great =)

Xaquin on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I like the battle style

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I really like the overall visuals for the game, but it looks downright slow and boring.
    I know, they showed like an hour of stuff and nothing happened!

Hey, wait...

(Maybe once someone outside of the dev studio has played the game longer than it takes to cross the screen we can talk about how nothing happens, eh?)

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love the dialogue so far and the feel of the game (or at least the way the feel looks). Can't wait to see some of the adventure part of the gameplay!

strike_the_trip on
  • perpetual8perpetual8 Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Looking great guys. The effort you've gone to in order to get it even this far is amazing. I've been casually dabbling into video game design and graphics and I'm freaking luck to get "Hellow World" to apepar in 3D. the textures of the whole thing is great. The look and feel, fantastic lighting, and the adaption of your nomal 2D comic drawings into 3D art is probabally some of the best i've seen thus far. As long as you guys keep up the normal humour along with the already fantastic creative originality, this will be a great game. Nice to see some people doing it for the love of games, not just money (of which I'm sure you'll recieve from such a huge Fan base). I just wish we could be more involved in seeing this kind of stuff being presented.

perpetual8 on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is this game the reason for the comics being so shitty lately? Are they actively working on this even now?

Endomatic on
    edited August 2007
    Your terrible sense of humor is the reason you find the comics shitty. Or maybe you've been reading Ctrl + Alt + Del on accident.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Im guessing the lack of boob jokes bums you out? It's humor that you have to use your brain and figure things out. Yeah, if you read too many like I did brain make head hurt.

And about the game. Meh, it looks pretty cool. I''ll try it, might get it for a friend who loves this comic.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
    edited August 2007
    someone, quick, what's the sign for douche..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "slow and boring?" it's an Adventure game, right? Like, with a focus on atmosphere, dialogue, and puzzle solving? I don't see how anyone could be upset with what we've seen, really. This looks fucking awesome.

edit: okay, it's an RPG now, but they've evidently been inspired by the point-and-click adventure genre. (which makes me very happy.)

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
    edited August 2007
    It's an adventure game, with RPG combat, I believe. They wanted to make an adventure game, and then they wanted to fit combat in to it, and they decided on Final Fantasy-style combat because it worked for them.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's an adventure game, with RPG combat, I believe. They wanted to make an adventure game, and then they wanted to fit combat in to it, and they decided on Final Fantasy-style combat because it worked for them.

Yep, what he said. And I think it's a fucking terriffic idea!

strike_the_trip on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some of the attack names are mini-jokes all by themselves.

I remember "Down on my luck".

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Pho3nixPho3nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That is pretty damn cool.

Can't wait for the game ^__^

Pho3nix on

PennyArcadesig.jpg
  • cannon_ballcannon_ball Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    i really like the sort of old style hp lovegood look of the game. should b awsome

cannon_ball on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i really like the sort of old style hp lovegood look of the game. should b awsome

Harry Potter much? ;)

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    I confuse small, fictional girls with long blond hair and Victorian horror writers all the fucking time man. Lay off.

(I don't)

TychoCelchuuu on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't even want to know about the wierdass monsters that would arise from that hybrid imagination.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2007
    "allow me to introduce our new teacher, Mr Cthuluu"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am going to buy this game.

With money.

Money I get from mugging old people in the park.

TankHammer on