As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Budgeting for PAX AUS

thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
Howdy fellow PAX attendees,

As this is the first PAX to be held in Australia and being a local I am wondering what might be a good amount/budget for a 3 day event such as this: including airfare, hotels, and cash to blow? Being from Sydney also it's very pricey here so I am not sure how much cheaper melbourne is.

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013

• CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Fly with JetStar or Tiger.

If you want cheap accommodation, go to Melbourne YHA

Cash, including food, I'd say $250 + extra spending money

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    not a big fan of hostels...heard stories of gear being stolen etc.

but in terms of numbers i was thinking of at least $1300-$1500 AUD for everything...probably a bit too much just for 3 days though.

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Im budgeting for 2k. But i want to be an Enforcer and do Setup so ill be there for an extra day, plus at 33 i want to avoid creepy uncle vibe and will be staying away from YHA's

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    Also if you havent done it before the train to melbourne from sydney is a nice cheap(though long) way to see the country side

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • ZoeEmiPZoeEmiP Geelong, AusRegistered User new member
    I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is book everything as soon as you can.
    For big events, good hotels tend to book out quickly.
    Also, try to take advantage of sales (for flights and hotels) because then you'll have more spending money in the end.
    Lastly; if you're not planning on driving down, make sure public transport is in your budget.

when's a good time to book the flights and hotel? i was hoping for at least january or february.

• FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    well the deal PAX has setup will go all the way till the event I think.. I mean, if you can get in.. go to crown towers, and stay there, not only great hotel, but its just by the river, etc. (oh, and all you need to take is 2 trams to get to PAX)

edited October 2012
    sounds good though i am still looking into it...hopefully i can get something for under $500 total.
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    Im budgeting for 2k. But i want to be an Enforcer and do Setup so ill be there for an extra day, plus at 33 i want to avoid creepy uncle vibe and will be staying away from YHA's

i was thinking around the same mark maybe about $1500 to cover everything and i think i am getting close to that amount.

thegh0sts on
  • zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular

I can see a group of us being called the Creepy Uncles/Aunts... it's catching on :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
    kinda worried now! LOL

• peachykinspeachykins gamer, nurse, baker of delicious noms <3 Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Accomodation:
    Definetely agree with booking accom as early as you can. So far it looks like places like the Riverside apartments and Quest Flemington are almost booked out. Needless to say there is a heap of accomodation in Melbourne though. There is a tram stop just outside the Melbourne Showgrounds, my advice would be to try and get somewhere near the number 57 tram route in Melbourne CBD (Flinders Street, Collins Street, Bourke Street etc). If the Melbourne Showgrounds train stop is operating (which I'm guessing it will be) then accom near Flinders Street, Southern Cross or North Melbourne stations would be best as these are on the same line as the Melbourne Showgrounds and trips will take 10-15 minutes.

At the moment when booking hotels, using sites such as wotif.com, lastminute.com etc will only allow you took book up until around May 2013. If you go direct to the accom's website you can obviously book much further ahead. Prices start from around $30 a night for hostels or between $100-$200 a night for hotel rooms or apartments etc.

Flights:
    Generally a good idea to book flights as early as possible too so you can snap up the cheaper fares. At the moment Jetstar has $49 fares from Syd-Mel or $89 from Bris-Mel around PAX time :)

Public transport:
    Public transport in Melbourne requires you to have a myki card - http://www.myki.com.au/

Other than that, spending money and food costs are up to you :)

thegh0sts wrote: »
    kinda worried now! LOL

No need to be worried. Because your worried about it, geddit? its the 35 year old single guy who thinks its totes mcgoates cool to hang with 16 year old female college students _all the time_ that gives off the creeper vibe.

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    zerochosen wrote: »

I can see a group of us being called the Creepy Uncles/Aunts... it's catching on :)

We could get shirts made <creepy>Uncle</creepy>

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    kinda worried now! LOL

No need to be worried. Because your worried about it, geddit? its the 35 year old single guy who thinks its totes mcgoates cool to hang with 16 year old female college students _all the time_ that gives off the creeper vibe.

37, married with a 4 yr old over here..... and not worried.

My approach is to act your age.... nothing worse than seeing an adult acting like a kid (...for me anyway).

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
    kinda worried now! LOL

Phew! I'm 36 so I dodged a bullet there :)

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I guess I must have a warped perception of older gamers having played DnD at a games shop since I was about... eleven?

I'd be the only person under 18, and surrounded by 30-40 year old guys. Maybe I'm the only one that found that normal...

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Danacyrus on
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    I guess I must have a warped perception of older gamers having played DnD at a games shop since I was about... eleven?

I'd be the only person under 18, and surrounded by 30-40 year old guys. Maybe I'm the only one that found that normal...

:rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

i'll be 2 days out from 29 when the show ends....and i am getting worried about being creepy LOL

zerochosen wrote: »

Phew! I'm 36 so I dodged a bullet there :)

Missed it by | .. | that much

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    so is 29 classified as "not creepy"?

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I think 29 is quite normal....

But on more on topic notes.. I shall add to this discussion in a moment with my wise financial experiences which consist on maxing my first credit card to go to a Gaming convention in the US.... XD

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, re-finding the topic would be a good thing for this thread ;)

Hey, there is some relevance of the spending habits of different demographics while traveling and attending events, we could be on to something here!

getting the best bang for your (aussie) buck is important!

Sigh, back on topic then... I think I spent about $1500 when I went to to Gencon AUS all inclusive, but the "cash to blow" is a big sliding scale at these things, as you will spend a lot on toys... I think $400 of my money went on on swords. :)

• dyconivegdyconiveg Melbourne - AustraliaRegistered User new member
    As far as getting to Melbourne I would think that going to Sydney first for most international attendees,then flying to Melbourne would be best. The interstate trains from Sydney to Melbourne are expensive as hell.

As far as accommodation, there are plenty of hostels here, I'd use a hotel search site or classic google to find the best for budget/preference.

Food can be pretty pricey here if you plan to mostly eat out (which I would imagine to be the case), that said, Chinatown is your best friend for decent cheap eats.

I think it's also worth mentioning again for any international guests that take out can be a bit expensive here depending on where you're coming from, but again, google is your best friend.

I'm a Melbournian and a student, so I learned the hard way how to survive here on a budget :P

if it makes it to sydney next then i don't need to fly :D

I'd say $1000 per week you plan to be here, this will help out with customs(as it will show you dont need to work illegal); as I mentioned in the other topic :P

• hemishhemish Registered User new member
    41 and not even remotely worried about the creepy factor

• DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    Travel: Budget $30 max on top of flights and airport transfers.

Trams/trains per day: $15 for 3 days, non-concession http://www.myki.com.au/Fares/Metro-fares
    Bike share: $5 for a helmet + $8 for a week (plus any excess time costs). Melbourne has a bike share scheme that lets you borrow a bicycle and drop it off again at one of their stations. There is no station at the showgrounds but there are stations at train/tram stops so this could help you get in if you score accommodation in the city off a tram/train route. Helmets are compulsory. http://www.melbournebikeshare.com.au/pricing for more info

Loot stash/Dungeon corner: Budget $100 - $600
    Book accommodation as soon as possible. It seems we are all a bit keen for this event. The cheap deals will be gone before you know it and with that goes your Gold pieces. Use the accommodation thread to team up with others to get house share deals. Budget from $300 for a 6 person share house for 4 nights up to $200+ per night if you book a last minute hotel room.

Sustenance: Budget $450 (You say WHAT??)
    {I got there with this formula (2FDd x Sd)1.5 where FDd = (b+l+d), Sd=Stay days} :-) but seriously it breaks down as follows and is just a light-hearted attempt to know the un-knowable

Estimate what you would spend on food and drinks on a day out ($10 cooked breakfast + $10 cheap lunch + $30 dinner with no drinks = $50), double it (for drinks, snacks and "OMG what is that? I have to try that!" ($100), then multiply that by how long you are there (3 days = $300), then add half again ("Wow, this coffee is good but soooo expensive +$150). I don't know quite why this formula works but it has always stood me in good stead when travelling. I guess because there is always new food and drink to try in a new place (and Melbourne is the gourmet capital of Aus).

Loot: Whatever is left in the account. ie I have no clue and no willpower for loot-avoidance so let's just say $500 minimum.

Total budget: $1100 - $1600 for a 3 day stay (not including flights).

Adjust this for your stamina (how long you are staying), constitution (real me DO eat quiche), wisdom (yes, I need to book now), intelligence (silly DB forgot how essential 'this' is to a gamer) and charisma modifiers (can I swing a great deal at the last minute?) and there you have it!

That was easy wasn't it? Well, at least it seems to fit in with what the others are saying.

Hope it helps :-)
    vjreddy12 wrote: »
    My approach is to act your age.... nothing worse than seeing an adult acting like a kid (...for me anyway).

Creepy is as creepy does...

^
    Smart people are Smart.

Yeah, biggest thing to blow your budget out is food and ESPECIALLY drinks. Even more so if you're planning on hitting the town a bit. The best solution is indeed... DOUBLE IT!

I'm there for a week and planning on getting out and actually going to a few finer dining places, so I'm budgeting around... $800 on food and drink.. I know that sounds ridiculous for a week to some people. But honestly. If I decide to go out and hit a wine bar or two over the week... BOOM the funds are depleted.

• vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ^
    ... $800 on food and drink.. I know that sounds ridiculous for a week to some people. But honestly. If I decide to go out and hit a wine bar or two over the week... BOOM the funds are depleted.

$800 sounds perfectly reasonable to me... especially if you like living it up when you travel....We do.

We don't travel much any more, so when we do... good hotels and restaurants are a must.

I am aiming for $3500 to $4500 for 4 nights everything included (currently have a wife, child and another on the way)... want to have a really good time.

vjreddy12 on
    tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    It's worth remembering that alcohol in Australia is taxed to the hilt. A beer in a pub will typically run $5-10 (less if you want a pot of VB from a cheap pub in the middle of nowhere, more if you want a pint of a really nice beer in a trendy pub). For reference, Manabar (which is certainly NOT the most expensive in Melbourne) charges $9.50 for most of their range of beers by the bottle.

If you decide to mix your own, be aware that you'll typically pay $25-35 for a cheap bottle of vodka (smirnoff red and below) or $30-$35 for a bottle of scotch (JW red or Teachers). Oddly enough, because the tax is in the form of an excise on ethanol, premium brands are less affected (they pay the same absolute amount in tax as cheaper brands, so proportionally less). As for beer, you'll typically pay $25-40 for a case of 24 bottles of local, non-premium beer, or $40-80 for imported or premium beer. There are exceptions (Oetinger, etc), but those are the typical prices.

As for food, your best bet for decent cheap food is chinatown (the east end of little Bourke st), or head out into the suburbs.
    Although this sounds terrible; if you're looking for a particular cuisine, find a suburb where immigrants from that nationality initially settled. Box Hill, Springvale, even Oakleigh (though less so these days) can provide authentic cuisine at a more reasonable price. This does involve doing a fair bit more research though.
    vjreddy12 wrote: »
    ^
    ... $800 on food and drink.. I know that sounds ridiculous for a week to some people. But honestly. If I decide to go out and hit a wine bar or two over the week... BOOM the funds are depleted.

$800 sounds perfectly reasonable to me... especially if you like living it up when you travel....We do.

We don't travel much any more, so when we do... good hotels and restaurants are a must.

I am aiming for $3500 to $4500 for 4 nights everything included (currently have a wife, child and another on the way)... want to have a really good time.

Melbourne has a lot of high quality restaurants. Do your research, but for at least one special night consider splashing out on somewhere like the Flower Drum (probably $500-1k) or Rockpool (probably $500). Heck, if you're willing to put down that kind of money (not including airfares), you should honestly be looking at Melbournes best restaurants, and going to at least one of them. The two I've mentioned will likely be on the list, but there may be others, and it's up to you to decide. Melbourne is the culinary capital of Australia, so if you're willing to spend the money, you may as well enjoy it.

DaCraw on
    ---
    edited November 2012
    Love Rockpool. That 800 doesn't include the finer dining experiences :P

Vue du Monde is the biggie for this trip. Expecting around $400 depending on what I chose to drink :P

Danacyrus on
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Can I just say DON'T fly with Tiger. They're notorious for their delays. When I fly with them their computer system on the ground crashed an we almost didn't make it on on time. A mate had to sit in the plane for hours while they fixed something up and they arrived super late. Another dude I know showed up and they were like "We're not flying because the plane isn't full enough." when that happens you get your cash back but you're still not there on time!

Basically I strongly advise against Tiger. The price difference between them and Jetstar is not worth it. If you must then do them on the way back taht way you won't be too upset if you get delayed!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've only flown with them twice, but haven't had TOO many problems. It's worth noting that at Tullamarine (Melbourne's main airport) Tiger operates from Terminal 4, which is in a separate building from where all of the other major domestic airlines are, or the international terminal (T1 - which is at the other end of the same building as T3).
    It's also worth considering that Tiger are very strict in terms of check in times. Don't expect them to let you board if you are even a minute late.

Another warning for people flying on the cheaper airlines: Jetstar fly out of two airports in Melbourne. Tullamarine is the main airport, handles all of the international flights and almost all of the domestic carriers, and has a 15-20 minute shuttlebus to Southern Cross Station (one of the main train stations in Melbourne and the one that handles interstate trains). Avalon is only used by Jetstar and is halfway out to Geelong and has much more limited transport links (I haven't been there in a while, but I don't remember seeing any). The Avalon flights are about half the price, though. If you are flying Jetstar, just make sure to check which airport you'll be flying into.

DaCraw on
    ---
    The buses that go to avalon are all lined up with the flights.

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Love Rockpool. That 800 doesn't include the finer dining experiences :P

Vue du Monde is the biggie for this trip. Expecting around $400 depending on what I chose to drink :P

Vue de Monde is amazing as is Bistro Vue.

I also highly reccomend Spice Temple, European, Chin Chin, Mamasita, Movida and Papa Goose

Awko on
    @Awko , Yeah I 've been looking at them for quite a while now, and I've convinced my Dad to come down to go with me, and if something comes up, I'm still going alone XD

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    they just opened up a rockpool at crown perth where im working, i took my family there for dinner, even with the staff discount it was expensive but oh so worth it

Rockpool is amazing, went there for my 18th :D