As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Firefox Thread

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
Why no Firefox thread? Firefox is awesome, its extensions are awesome, a few of the themes are awesome, and it's fun to share.

Here's my Firefox:

ffow4.jpg

I'm only showing you the top of it because, well, that's all that is interesting.

Extensions:

Adblock - Blocks ads. I use Easylist as a filter, because apparently Filterset.g is sucking balls right now.
Download Manager Tweak - Opens the download manager in a tab instead of a separate window.
Long titles - Makes tooltips have a larger capacity, great for previewing threads.
Menu Editor - Edit your right click menu. Some stuff in there that I never use, so I just get rid of it.
Stop-or-reload Button - Unifies the stop and reload buttons at the top, so that only one is displayed at a time.
Tab Mix Plus - Tabbed browsing on steroids. SO MANY OPTIONS.
TabRenamizer - Lets you rename tabs that you wouldn't want people seeing. "HOT DOG ACTION" becomes "Google".
Text Links - Now I can double click on a plain text URL and it'll load it just like a hyperlink.
Tiny Menu - Replace all the normal menus with one menu called "Menu". Like in the screenshot.

I use the "Qute" theme, which has slightly nicer icons and hides the favicons on the tabs, because I turned those off anyway (Look here!)

All these extensions (And more!) can be found here.

I switched to Firefox 2 yesterday, and it's nice. A little bit more "bloated" than FF 1.5. I don't like the green "Go" arrow next to the address bar. Any way to turn that off? Also the tabs are a bit more 3D and shiny that I'd like, but all the flat themes I've tried are terrible in other areas. If I could just edit this theme so that the buttons aren't a gradient but are flat instead. Any help on that would be appreciated, as well.

So.. Discuss and share!

Centipeed on

• archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Good choice on "Hot Dog Action" for your example! :winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Definitely some good options there. I have to pitch in that I love flashblock. I can load up any page I want without having to win free ipod nanos or PS3s. It only loads the flash file after you click the play button that appears in its place, so browsing myspace is a real piece of cake too, as I don't have to hear 6 seconds of unstoppably loud shitty music.

Also TinyURLCreator plugin is awesome, especially for those of us who use ventrilo. Right click on a page and choose 'create a tinyurl' which is automatically copied to clipboard.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know how many extensions I've downloaded that I hardly ever use. They always seem neat when I see them, and then I forget about them and they either go unnoticed, or I use them without realizing it. Adblock is a must, and ifox smooth seems to be a good theme.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Good choice on "Hot Dog Action" for your example! :winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Just in case anyone misunderstood (And I'm not saying that anyone did), I was referring to sexual acts with dogs. Not some kind of fetish with Hotdogs. That would just be weird.

Centipeed on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    archonwarp wrote: »

Just in case anyone misunderstood (And I'm not saying that anyone did), I was referring to sexual acts with dogs. Not some kind of fetish with Hotdogs. That would just be weird.

I thought you were referring to someone eating a hotdog in action, but that's just me.

Mace1370 on
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And beastiality isn't weird?

I used to have a lot of addons and extensions for my firefox, but it seemed so bloated, and I didn't use any of it. These days, it's just fasterfox, and downloadthemall.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've just added the Menu Editor Plugin.

I'm running with
    Adblock Plus
    Dictionary Search (I have set so I can highlight and search any word in the Dictionary, Wikipedia, Google or Yahoo)
    ForcastFox (Weather in the right corner of my screen, can set to see three day forecast)
    IETab (For the websites that don't work properly in Firefox)
    NoScript (Stops scripts from running until I allow them)
    TabX (Adds a closing x to each tab)

Invisible on
    edited August 2007
    Invisible wrote: »

You could just use Tabmix Plus to do this and get a lot more functionality to boot, but you might not want any of it. Besides, I used to do this, and then realised that middle clicking a tab is far better than having to click an X button on the right side. Easier and quicker. And it looks less cluttered.

Centipeed on
    edited August 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »

You could just use Tabmix Plus to do this and get a lot more functionality to boot, but you might not want any of it. Besides, I used to do this, and then realised that middle clicking a tab is far better than having to click an X button on the right side. Easier and quicker. And it looks less cluttered.

I use Tabbrowser Preferences, which I could get rid of and go with Tabmix Plus, but just haven't bothered. Really, all I want is an x and for it to go to the last active tab whenever I close it.

Invisible on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    öhsee wrote: »

You're a sharp one.

Magus` on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Would Winstripe FF Classic be the kind of skin you're looking for? It gives it the old Firefox look.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited August 2007
    Would Winstripe FF Classic be the kind of skin you're looking for? It gives it the old Firefox look.

I installed that, and the simplicity and the icons were nice, but the buttons that 1.x didn't have looked out of place when you used the skin on 2.0. Plus it shows the favicons on the tabs, which I've now realised I don't want. I guess I'll have to stick with Qute. It's growing on me. I wonder if I could have Qute with only the icons replaced with the original?

Centipeed on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fuck Tabs, but I love how mine is set up, It's just so clean and easy to use. Fasterfox extension, PDF Download warning extension, Adblock, and a theme, gets it going good.

FFheadline.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love Firefox, but on OS X it runs like shit. I'm hoping Firefox 3 will fix this. Until then, I'm using Opera.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • GorgeeenGorgeeen __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Needs more Iceweasel.

Gorgeeen on
    No god damnit! The sheriff is a nig*Church Bells*r!!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pensies are "just kinda ugly" any way you slice it.

Or don't slice it.
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I switched to Opera because I kept hearing that it runs smoother.
    Did I follow the wrong lemming off the cliff?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I recently updated Firefox, and now my Gmail doesn't show the "___ new messages." notification when a new message is posted in a string of e-mails. Is this because of the update to Firefox, or is something else to blame?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    öhsee wrote: »

No beastiality isn't weird, what kind of fucked up country do you live in that doesn't allow man and beast to make love?

jb7 on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    you can get rid of the go button, i did when i first upgraded but i couldn't tell you what i did but i did find it online

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • LachLach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Web Developer is a godsend for web developers!

Lach on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    keyconfig is awesome for laptops. I always set it to the spacebar for back, it's always right below the eraser trackpad thing or above the square trackpad thing. If you have a mouse, gestures work just as good.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zxerol on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know what it is you're doing with Hot Dogs, but you should probably be using Stealther.

Also, yeah, Flashblock is a must have.

beta.lyrae on
    edited August 2007
    mts wrote: »
    you can get rid of the go button, i did when i first upgraded but i couldn't tell you what i did but i did find it online

I looked it up, and then did it (It was a simple about:config edit). I also removed the "go" button on the search box (The magnifying glass) which was slightly more complicated, but nothing hard. I also modified my Qute theme so that it's using the original firefox buttons, but it still doesn't show the favicons, so it's pretty much perfect:

ffbt9.jpg

Centipeed on
  • Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a fan of Foxytunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/).

Makes it so you don't have to open up iTunes whenever you want to just browse the internet, as it can open it at the click of a button, and also let's you skip songs and all that jazz. Apparently there's radio stations or something else along with it, but I haven't bothered. I guess not very useful unless you use iTunes.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone have any idea how to get the find next/previous buttons with the type-to-search in firefox 2?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I nominate "All in one gestures" as best extension ever.

Leftclick then right click is forward, right click then leftclick is back. You can also hold down the right mouse button and draw gestures for different things. A line to the left takes you back, a line to the right takes you foward. A line going down opens a new browser window, while a line up opens a new tab. These last two can also be done on top of links and they will open that link in the window or tab.

When I rebuild a computer, this extension is always the first thing I get running (Firefox itself being the only thing before it), I'm talking before video card drivers and before anti-virus. It's that damn important to me.
    '

Aiserou on
    edited August 2007
    Yet MORE tweaking has removed the drop down tab button, the folder icon next to the bookmarks folder, and the favicon in the address bar. Getting close to perfect, now. The only problem I can see is the fact that "Bookmarks" is a smaller font than "Menu". On the search again, I guess.

EDIT: After a little bit I've managed to "hack the Fox" and replace the word "Bookmarks" with a bookmark icon that I can click to get a drop down menu with my bookmarks in it. It's better than trying to make "Menu" and "Bookmarks" have the same font.

ffrn9.jpg

Centipeed on
    edited August 2007
    beta.lyrae wrote: »
    I don't know what it is you're doing with Hot Dogs, but you should probably be using Stealther.

Also, yeah, Flashblock is a must have.

Flashblock drove me crazy. Maybe it's just when used in conjunction with noscript, but it rarely worked correctly. Noscript blocks flash and chances are if I'm willing to allow scripts then I'm willing to allow the flash to play as well.

Invisible on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My extensions -
    Adblock Plus
    BugMeNot
    DownThemAll
    Forecastfox
    Greasemonkey
    IE Tab
    Jump Link
    Pennypacker
    Scribefire

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, does nobody use plain, vanilla Firefox? I have yet to find a plugin or extension I liked or thought was necessary.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    if you don't use pennypacker you don't deserve to live.

In any case my various plugins do various specific things that I enjoy whether it be blocking ads or displaying my local weather, or allowing me to post to my blog from wherever I am.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone know how to keep new updates to my extensions from fucking up my about:config preferences and turning off my (awesome) Blue Ice theme?

Tiemler on
  • Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adblock is key.

Bugmenot is always essential when you don't want to go through "Free Registration" just to read a news article.

Firesomething is just fun.

iFox is my skin of choice.

Linky lets me open lots of links at once. Handy for lists. Long Titles is essential for xkcd, because the tooltips break otherwise.

And a YouTube video downloader is nice. I use Ook? Video Ook! for 1-click downloads.

And about:config is your friend.

Got all that?

Cold Koala on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I cannot live without Google Browser Sync or Adblock Plus.

ben0207 on
  • fossfoss Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Adblock
    Add to Netvibes (if netvibes is your homepage, this is essential for adding feeds to it)
    All-in-one gestures
    Download statusbar
    FireFTP
    Foxmarks bookmark synchroniser (if you use different machines; for me it's work pc, home pc & laptop)
    Operator (microformat detection)
    Pennypacker (of course!)
    Web Developer toolbar (ok, not essential for everyone)..

The latest firefox update seems to have hosed netvibes and thottbot, though. Anyone got any ideas?

foss on
  • UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably a bit of a nub question (especially considering how long I've been using firefox) but how do you get the navigation toolbar on the same line as the menu? I was inspired by the tiny menu extension but just can't figure it out :s

Thanks in advance and please keep this up good stuff here :)

Edit: Almost forgot, how come I've never heard of pennypacker before :o That is awesome :D

Double Edit: Nvm fixed now :)

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man, does nobody use plain, vanilla Firefox? I have yet to find a plugin or extension I liked or thought was necessary.

Plain old install here. I tried extensions and then realized that they didn't really do anything I actually wanted. It's got tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, and it's nice. I don't need to minimize the toolbars or do anything else with it. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm confused. Do you guys not use Firefox 2? It puts the X on each tab already. If you aren't using Firefox 2, then get out of my house.
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Plain old install here. I tried extensions and then realized that they didn't really do anything I actually wanted. It's got tabbed browsing, pop-up blocker, and it's nice. I don't need to minimize the toolbars or do anything else with it. :D

There's not a lot of extensions I use, but a few I find invaluable. Foxmarks for syncing my bookmarks between work and home is the main one. And then Answers which is amazing if you just need a little bit of info on something you're reading and don't feel like doing a Wikipedia search.

anable on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Not using NoScript is inviting peril.

MKR on
  • Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a big user of stumbleupon, which, okay, adds a toolbar, but it makes browsing for random crap as easy as a click of a button.

Duchess Prozac on