As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some speakers for under ~$250

[Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
I've been using my brother's speakers for several years now and they were great. He decided to take them back yesterday, though. He said they cost him around $250, so I'm looking to get some replacement speakers of around the same quality and price. His set had 5 speakers and a subwoofer. This'll be hooked up to my computer in my room for playing music and watching movies/tv through Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm looking for, beyond probably at least 3 speakers and a subwoofer. Can anyone maybe give me a list of good speakers in that price range that will do what I want, or at least point me to some resources so I can educate myself a little on what to look for when buying speakers?

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Is this going to be set up on a desk (close proximity to base) or surround (for viewing from a couch/chair for a larger audience)? It's important to know what kind of setup you're looking for as that will define the kind of speakers people will recommend. Are you going to need stands for surround sound, are you just going to put all 5 on a desk right near the computer, etc.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    For general computer usage (near field), it's hard to go past Logitech Z506 for $79. 5.1 surround and they sound loud and clear, probably the best deal in that price range.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of this Klipsch set.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Really, unless you have the right room/setup for it, going past 2.1 is not worth it. You can't just put the speakers anywhere you want, so unless you can position them properly (particularly the "back" ones), it's rarely worth the additional cost...