As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Mage Talk: Become the Magister

1484950515254»

• Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, you can't enchant them. I would love it if we could.

Also, Tseric is a douche, and his argument is pretty damn stupid. Omg Clutter.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    because +12 int to shield is totally a tanking enchant dudes

what a fucking toolbox

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think a better bullshit response (and one much better than the late Tseric's response, god rest his zombie bones) would be that offhands have a different stat budget than shields so shields being enchantable only push them up to offhand level. But honestly I can't really see a reason besides "Blizzard's too lazy."

Opty on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Considering the way stats are balanced between MH + OH vs staff (as in, staff always loses on equivalent item levels. They tend to be heavily stat-based, which can be nice, but not when you're losing out on the massive amounts of raw damage/crit you see on weapons), I don't understand why anybody would bitch about it.

Regardless of what Tseric says, you don't need offhand enchants, because MH + OH is inherently better anyway.

exis on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I agree Exis... but couldn't the same be said about Sword + Board?

I dunno why they can't just come out and say "Because off-hands are tuned so high we think it would be imbal" if that's the case. The fact that Tseric's just spewing bullshit (and he obviously is) gives me the impression that it's just laziness or mage hate on Blizz's part.

I don't actually think that's the case, I'm just saying they feed this perspective with these sort of replies. No wonder they fired him!

Antishow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You can put the same caster enchant on a 1 hander that you can a two- hander. Melee enchants are separated.

I haven't really thought about what that means in the context of this discussion, I just felt like throwing that out there.

a penguin on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember when the only low-level caster enchant was int on 2-H weapon.
    I hated that for a long time.
    I think blizz just doesn't know how to do decent caster enchants well.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    EWom wrote: »
    I'm just having such a hard time raising my lil' ice mage up. Everything just seems so underwhelming at the moment, it's a whole lot of sitting around doing nothing for one or two kills. I just dinged 28 tonight, and wondering if it gets better later than kill 1 or two then rest kinda deal.

Not much better, but you do gain a great deal of control between now and 70.

By the time you hit 70, you'll have no idea how to play a low level mage anymore. It's still "kill a couple, rest". But the techniques used to kill have changed, since you can freeze and crit almost on demand as you level up.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I remember when the only low-level caster enchant was int on 2-H weapon.
    I hated that for a long time.
    I think blizz just doesn't know how to do decent caster enchants well.

Is it really that hard? Are we just bitter because we're magi?
    I mean shit.
    Spell damage, Int, MP/5 for Healers, Stamina(EVERYONE needs Stamina), Resilience, Spell Crit/Hit...It's really not too difficult.

Obviously, at low levels, Stamina and Int will help more than low-level +Spell damage. I'll get more out of +4 Int and +3 Stamina than I will out of +6 spell damage.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And lo, did the Mages cry out in unison and song, dancing hither and yon in celebration:
    Q: The first thing Mages have to do in a raid is make water. There are Soulwells. Will there be a Muffin factory? (laughter and massive applause)
    A: Yes. Water and muffin creation like the Soulwell is incoming.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Well it's about god damned time...

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    EWom wrote: »
    I'm just having such a hard time raising my lil' ice mage up. Everything just seems so underwhelming at the moment, it's a whole lot of sitting around doing nothing for one or two kills. I just dinged 28 tonight, and wondering if it gets better later than kill 1 or two then rest kinda deal.

Not much better, but you do gain a great deal of control between now and 70.

By the time you hit 70, you'll have no idea how to play a low level mage anymore. It's still "kill a couple, rest". But the techniques used to kill have changed, since you can freeze and crit almost on demand as you level up.

This is true. I used to have a 70 mage, no longer, but I recently roled up a new Belf mage on a friends server. I haven't had a level 1 mage since 2005, and I kept trying to play it like I remembered leveling way back when.

And man, that shit just doesn't work. Mages have gotten sooo mcuh better.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    And lo, did the Mages cry out in unison and song, dancing hither and yon in celebration:
    Q: The first thing Mages have to do in a raid is make water. There are Soulwells. Will there be a Muffin factory? (laughter and massive applause)

You guys are welcome.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You guys are welcome.

YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

a penguin on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

You guys are welcome.

I know you Muffin Man, though I'm not quite sure where you live.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »

You guys are welcome.

I know you Muffin Man, though I'm not quite sure where you live.

The Muffin Man... The Muffin Man?

You know, The Muffin Man, who lives on Drury Lane.

Antishow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I'm stumped. I've run Durnholde for the kilt. I've run Sethekk for the pants. I've run all sorts of instances between 60 and 68 for gear for my mage. Nothing. At all. Has dropped. Since Ramparts. No recolored Magister's, no rings, no trinkets, no weapons, no fucking NOTHING.

I'm at a complete fucking loss as to what to do now. I'm almost 69, and will probably be 70 by the end of the week. I thankfully have a Bringer of Death to equip when I hit 70, but this is fucking ridiculous. I've run so many instances and simply cannot find any gear at all.

It's so frustrating.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I used those pants until I got Spellstrike. Last week.

I've been at 70 since...early March?

I suggest going for either those or Battlecast.

As for other gear, good mainhands drop in SL, Mech and Shattered Halls. Mech has the added bonus of dropping a good offhand as well.

Most of my gear is from Tailoring, but the non- tailoring peices came from Heroics/ Kara. The boots from Heroic Slave Pens are nice, and the Mana- Etched Pauldrons drop there (I think...).

There's also a good sword from hitting Revered with CoT.

a penguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Spellstrike or Battlecast are a no. I'm not going to grind out that mats for another set of crafted gear. I went through that bullshit once for Primal Mooncloth, I'm not doing it again for Spellstrike.

The problem is is that my Mage is not tailoring. I'm not dropping herbalism for Tailoring, and I sure as shit am not dropping Alchemy for it. The only way you could get me to drop herbalism is if I dropped Skinning on my Rogue and then took Herb. Hmm... Which isn't that bad of an idea, come to think of it.

Edit: I should specify that I'm not really all that worried about my Mage. I don't even see him raiding. I'd probably be sticking to 5-mans and soloing and such.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Mana-Etched_Regalia

This set is awesome; the 4-piece bonus procs all the time, and everything drops in 5-mannable instances.

Antishow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Four out of five of those pieces drop in Heroics. I'm talking about stuff I can do for me now or right as I hit 70. Instance groups are already extremely hard to find, and the ones I do get in don't drop anything.

I mean, should I work towards the Incanter's set while I try to rep up for heroics or what?

Also, I don't know what quests I can do right now to get some new gear while I get to 70. I know I can get a new cloak from Nagrand (I just finished Terokkar today halfway through 68), but not what else I can do.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm... well you could head to the Netherstorm. You could work on the Arcatraz Key and you get a pretty nice belt for it. I'm in 4/5 of my M-E set, and I'm still wearing it.

Also there's a quest chain in Shadowmoon Valley that gets you a pretty dece helmet with GhostVision

You're gonna have to run instances ad nauseum to get the heroic keys, so I guess you might as well work on Incanter's. That's what I did.

Also, it's pretty easy to hit Revered with the Keepers of Time for the Continuum Blade, which is amazing for the amount of effort that goes into getting it.

Antishow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I know about the Arcatraz quest line as well as the Second Sight stuff in Shadowmoon, but those will likely have to wait til I'm 70 to get anything done with them. I plan on hitting them up when I get to 70 though.

As far as a weapon goes, I have a Bringer of Death with +40 spell damage waiting for me at 70, so I'll be good for a little bit. I do need to run Black Morass several times for all the things I need for this obnoxious Elixir Mastery quest.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Evil DaveEvil Dave Loot Whore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would rather highly recommend you not go seeking out Incanter's. It's not a horrible set, so if it drops, great, but there's pretty much always going to be a better piece for the slot from a similarly difficult instance.

Evil Dave on
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Imagine 60 thousand people screaming at an egg.
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Incanter's sucks; Get Oblivion instead :P

I used the Robes of Oblivion until I got Spellstrike. Very good robes.

a penguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, the thing is, I actually like most of the instances Incanter's stuff drops from. I just never got to do them much on my Priest.

And I'm not using Oblivion. Has no spellcrit.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If nothing else, get a continuum blade and drop that bringer of death double-quick.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And I'm not using Oblivion. Has no spellcrit.

Crit is overrated. If you're way damage heavy or have a certain gear/spec setup (like arc/fire w/ lightning capacitor and lots of other on-crit procs) then the value of one crit rating approachs the value of one point of damage. In the general case though, 1 dam > 1 crit - I think when I was running a 10/48/3 build my theorycraft value was around 0.7.

So yeah, the extra 11 damage on Oblivion chest is greater than 8 spell crit. Also, spellstrike is so worth it. Maybe spellcloth on my server is slightly depressed in value due to a ton of spellcloth tailors, but the market value of a piece of spellstrike is around 700g, which is a weeks worth of daily quests. 10-16 hours for the best available piece until well into 25 man raiding? Yes please. If this is just an occasional alt then maybe the cost isn't worth it, but it really is that good.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about gear before 70. You'll be fine getting there. Some basic items though:

Helm :
    Evoker's Helmet of Second Sight - Quest reward

Shoulders :
    Spaulders of the Torn-heart - Quest reward

Chest :
    Robe of the Crimson Order - BoE Drop
    Auchenai Anchorite's Robe - Quest reward
    Many assorted blue 70 instance drops

Legs :
    Soothsayer's Kilt - Quest Reward

Gloves :
    Grips of the Void - Quest Reward

Boots :
    Shattrath Jumpers - Quest Reward

Belt :
    A'dal's Gift - Quest Reward

Bracers :
    Bracers of Havok - Crafted

Note, you very well may want to use two pieces of the Netherweave set because the set bonus is so good. Personally I used Netherweave Belt and Netherweave Boots for a very long time.

Neck :
    Natasha's Ember Necklace - Quest Reward

Back :
    Cloak of Woven Energy - Quest Reward
    Cloak of the Black Void - Crafted

Ring x2 :
    Evoker's Mark of the Redemption - Quest Reward
    Manastorm Band - Quest Reward

Trinket x2 :
    You have a bunch of options from quests here. One pair -
    Glowing Crystal Insignia - Quest Reward
    Mark of Defiance - Quick PvP Quest Reward

Weapon :
    Continuum Blade - Keepers of Time Revered

Offhand :
    The Saga of Terokk - Quest Reward

Wand :
    Nesingwary Safari Stick - Quest Reward

PlushyCthulhu on
    Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You have to keep in mind that I don't ever plan to raid with this Mage. He's an alt, but not really an occasional one. He'll probably be tied for main with my Priest, but I'm done with raiding after WLK comes out. I will never do it again unless I can really find some good incentive. I originally intended him to be some kind of Arena bitch,

And I will not drop Alchemy. Not after having discovered two different fairly in-demand elixirs. If I drop anything, it'll be Herbalism, but not being able to find my own herbs is a huge pain in the ass. I'd have to make my Rogue Herbalism instead of skinning, and that's an enormous chore.

I'll take the other gear into consideration when I hit 70 in the next day or two though.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You have to keep in mind that I don't ever plan to raid with this Mage. He's an alt, but not really an occasional one. He'll probably be tied for main with my Priest, but I'm done with raiding after WLK comes out. I will never do it again unless I can really find some good incentive. I originally intended him to be some kind of Arena bitch,

All the more reason to get best available pre-raid items then, since by definition you won't be replacing them til WotLK :) Though you may want to figure out if you want to gear up for PvE, PvP, or both, since the stats you care about are fairly different (my pvp set has 4000 health and 400 resilience more than my pve set for example, though most high end pvp gear is from arena/honor points)
    And I will not drop Alchemy. Not after having discovered two different fairly in-demand elixirs. If I drop anything, it'll be Herbalism, but not being able to find my own herbs is a huge pain in the ass. I'd have to make my Rogue Herbalism instead of skinning, and that's an enormous chore.

Well, levelling up herbalism is stupid fast, expecially with the old zones so empty these days. That said, there was a reason I didn't suggest Spellfire. Spellstrike is the two piece head/leg set and while the set bonus is tailor only, the set itself can be used by anyone. So you can keep herb/alc and still wear 203 damage, 50 crit, 52 hit in two slots (or 179 dam, 74 crit depending on gems - this is with blue gems, glyph of power, runic spellthread).

Also, as a general rule, do 10 arena games a week. This can be a 2v2 with another alt that barely stays above 1300, but a little bit is better than nothing. A friend of mine with 3 70s rotates them through with 3 other alts doing 3-4 games per character, spends less than 45 minutes per week, and gets ~250 honor points times per character. It takes some time, but he now has badass weapons on all of them.

PlushyCthulhu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, there's also an issue with Arena. In about two weeks, my account is going to be lapsing for a couple of months or so, and then I'll be back until the expansion. Depending on when season 3 comes out, it may not be likely that I'll have enough arena points to actually get any weapons on my Mage, since you'll also have to have a high enough rating to buy them as well.

As for Spellfire/Spellstrike, there's a sillier, pettier reason I really don't want to get it. My Priest is a Mooncloth tailor. I have the Primal Mooncloth set. So does everyone else. Every Mage on Whisperwind either has Frozen Shadoweave or Spellfire. It's boring to look like everyone else all the time (though of course I would be kind of unique, since there are next to no Draenei Mages running around).

Meh, I dunno. I'm still trying to finish up Nagrand quest on my Mage, and I have 80% of a level to go.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As for Spellfire/Spellstrike, there's a sillier, pettier reason I really don't want to get it. My Priest is a Mooncloth tailor. I have the Primal Mooncloth set. So does everyone else. Every Mage on Whisperwind either has Frozen Shadoweave or Spellfire. It's boring to look like everyone else all the time (though of course I would be kind of unique, since there are next to no Draenei Mages running around).

Thats the reason I don't have the tailoring stuff either. Coupled with the fact that I actually like Alchemy (potion spec makes equipping my raids much easier) and have a few elixir recipes.

IMO, the epic tailoring stuff is good and all, but I just can't like it. For comparison:

Here is a mage in my guild, raids constantly, and took tailoring just for the pieces.

Here is my mage

edit: He used to be fire as well, and had as much spell damage as me. His spec wasn't the first thing I looked for so I now see why his spell damage is less. Still, even without the epics I consider myself well geared.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Not to nitpick too much, since you gear is fine, but the mage you linked really hasn't done much raiding (two low-kara drops and only the revered ring) or heroics (one drop, no badge rewards) or PvP (one honor reward, no arena teams), and really not that much tailoring (one piece of shadoweave, though he may have a full spellfire set in the bank). He's in a full PvP spec too.

Also, you can't count mind-mastery when comparing spell damage, since he can respec to arcane as well, and you really should look at school damage not total damage. So he's at 741 frost and you're at 643 general, which makes sense given both of your current points of progression.

Anyway, Spellstrike is head/legs - you don't see legs anyway and I turn off helms because it's fugly.

PlushyCthulhu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Does it drive anyone else crazy that there's no Arcane / Frost epic tailored gear? I just wonder, are there really mages out there that use Arcane and Fire? I can't imagine anyone specced in both would use Arcane for anything but PoM and counterspell.

I would skin a thousand kittens irl to get "Frozen Arcanoweave".

Antishow on
  • Options
    strahd618strahd618 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm about to jump back into WoW after a 5 month break, I have a level 70 mage specced Arcane/Fire I think. But I was wondering have their been any major changes to any of the Mage Talents or skills with any of the recent patches. I didn't keep up with anything while I wasn't playing.

strahd618 on
  • Options
    Evil DaveEvil Dave Loot Whore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm AP/Scorch. I use Scorch/Fireblast for my primary dps rotation. If concerned with mana efficiency/threat I'll go AB/Scorchx4 and cancel spell for Arcane Missiles on Clearcast. This is rather efficient as I've got +30% crit chance on clearcasted spells. I am the reason Sunfire has less spell damage than Soulfrost (not me, specifically, but the type).

Now, as Frost spec, why the hell would you use arcane spells bar Improved AM for when you've a hankerin to screw with someone's casting?

Evil Dave on
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Imagine 60 thousand people screaming at an egg.
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Probably a silly question, but do +spell damage effects (ie the shaman totem) have any effect on ice barrier (or, for that matter, mana shield)?

The only reason I ask is due to some strange "a more powerful spell is active" messages while trying to refresh the shield during some runs today.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I didn't think so...
    Doesn't your own +spell damage not effect your barriers?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know it's true for Ice Barrier, but it's a very very small coefficient -- like 5-10% or less. Mana Shield I'm not certain about, as I never use it.

As for Arcane/Fire, it's what I'd be doing on my second mage if I weren't have so much fun with my Shaman.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters