As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(resonably) Intelligent Comedy Internet Radio Stations

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, so I feel kind of bad making an H/A thread for this but it's been nagging at me and I can't think of a better place to post it.

At work, youtube is blocked "for bandwidth reasons" but we're allowed (and even somewhat encouraged for sanity's sake) to use Pandora or other internet radio thingies. Sometimes I'm in the mood for comedy, but I can't find any stations I really like. I've been using stuff on this list, mostly Chuckle Check, Comedy 104, and 181.FM, but I kind of have Standards with a capital S in my comedy. There are certain comedians, notably Dane Cook, Daniel Tosh, Larry the Cable Guy, and a few others who I simply cannot stand and I have to switch to another station as soon as they come on, interrupting my work flow. Pandora seems to play nothing but Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan on loop, which gets kind of old.

Furthermore, I find that none of these stations play my favorite comedians (Louis CK, Demetri Martin, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, etc... and old stuff like the Marx Brothers, Bill Cosby, etc etc etc.). I love jokes that involve wordplay or require a half-second of thought, not jokes that are all "HA HA ISN'T THIS SITUATION FUNNY".

If anyone knows any internet comedy radio stations with this kind of taste, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    You might want to try nerdist.com. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the site allows you to stream their podcast, and their's a bunch of different ones that will probably hit some of the stuff you enjoy.

Same goes with comedy bang bang- http://www.earwolf.com/show/comedy-bang-bang/. It's more of a radio show setting, but you get a bunch of comedians, sometimes being themselves, sometimes being characters( You'll either learn to love or hate Paul F. Tompkin's appearances), but it's entertaining more often than not.

• Options
    sawtasawta VARegistered User regular
    iheartradio's 24/7 comedy mixes in a decent amount of older comedians like Bill Cosby and the like. Hell, I even heard an Abbott and Costello routine on there two days ago.

Pros
    * After listening for about 50 hours a month, I've only heard maybe a total of three 15 second ads each month for classic horror movies that were playing at a local movie theater.
    * I don't have to micromanage as far as my taste goes the way I do with Pandora. This is actually a lot more important then it sounds at first glance because over a certain amount of time I actually have to start hitting the dislike button on Pandora just to start hearing some new material. Otherwise I get trapped in this weird 5 hour loop of the same jokes over and over.
    * I'm much less likely to hear the same bit, from the same comedian but from a different album back to back. It could just be my imagination, but it feels like 24/7 comedy seems to have a wider range of material to work with compared to Pandora too. Maybe it has something to do with Pandora needing to offer an MP3 available version for all of the bits that it plays?
    * Free. No Premium Plus membership BS.

Cons
    * They do play a lot of the comedians that you mentioned disliking. This can be avoided if you have a mute key on your keyboard, or do what I do and just switch over to 24/7 News for a few minutes.
    * They mute (not bleep, mute) swearing for some silly reason. This can make certain bits hard to follow if you aren't familiar with them or forget that they edited out all of the naughty words.

• Options
    sawtasawta VARegistered User regular
    iheartradio's 24/7 comedy mixes in a decent amount of older comedians like Bill Cosby and the like. Hell, I even heard an Abbott and Costello routine on there two days ago.

Pros
    * After listening for about 50 hours a month, I've only heard maybe a total of three 15 second ads each month for classic horror movies that were playing at a local movie theater.
    * I don't have to micromanage as far as my taste goes the way I do with Pandora. This is actually a lot more important then it sounds at first glance because over a certain amount of time I actually have to start hitting the dislike button on Pandora just to start hearing some new material. Otherwise I get trapped in this weird 5 hour loop of the same jokes over and over.
    * I'm much less likely to hear the same bit, from the same comedian but from a different album back to back. It could just be my imagination, but it feels like 24/7 comedy seems to have a wider range of material to work with compared to Pandora too. Maybe it has something to do with Pandora needing to offer an MP3 available version for all of the bits that it plays?
    * Free. No Premium Plus membership BS.

Cons
    * They do play a lot of the comedians that you mentioned disliking. This can be avoided if you have a mute key on your keyboard, or do what I do and just switch over to 24/7 News for a few minutes.
    * They mute (not bleep, mute) swearing for some silly reason. This can make certain bits hard to follow if you aren't familiar with them or forget that they edited out all of the naughty words.

• Options
    MobiusDoppelgangerMobiusDoppelganger Registered User regular
    One of the things I do with Pandora is build stations around specific comedians which works pretty well, I've got a Patton Oswalt station and a Robin Williams station that I use daily, you can add specific comedians to the same station to mix things up if you like, they have a pretty large selection from what I've noticed.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    If you can swing it there are some shoutcast stations of Phil Hendrie shows. Those are always fun.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Don't know about stations themselves, but Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR is both informative and hilarious.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png