As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pandemic] - Game 2 - Game Over - Humanity dies

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Ahem.

Our research.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I can take care of 2 in SF and then move other people two moves or get rid of 2 disease in seoul or shanghai. Thoughts?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Ahem.

Our research.

Quite true! I'd never dream of leaving your name off of this career making publication! What kind of insidious researcher do you take me for? :twisted:
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I can take care of 2 in SF and then move other people two moves or get rid of 2 disease in seoul or shanghai. Thoughts?

On one hand, Asia needs to be cleaned up, but it might be better to focus on other diseases since I'm about to deliver a cure. You could move yourself into position to begin eradicating the Rumples next turn and then move someone else into a more advantageous position. Back our medic (NotoriousBEN) out of Santiago, perhaps?

caliber on
  • Options
    I agree with caliber; a cure for Asia is nearly in-hand, so it might be worthwhile to start trying to bring the other diseases under control.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    @NotoriousBEN if I move you two spaces which way do you want to go or is there any reason you would want to stay put since you have the santiago card?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    my intent is to play the airlift card and get my ass to asia and clean it up.

I have no idea what cards are in store for us now since the epidemic reshuffled them into the top of the pile.

My best guess for you @segatai is to head to asia and take cubes off something before another card kills us. There have been few other cards played besides red and if we get it cleaned off, we never have to worry about red again. But Istanbul and Riyad from what I remember the black cards are going to do a number on us sooner than later. We have the researcher clearing up yellow so that's all good until more yellow is in the deck. Blue has been nonexistant.

edit** just read the rest of those outbreaks and yellow is up as well, but I have the santiago card so I could play that and get there or you just move me to the researcher because he's most likely to be in africa for a time.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    @SeGaTai
    Ease up on phalla!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Move to Seoul, clean up 2 cubes.

Colors

Happy now

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Am I ever?

• Options
    I remember a younger stever making all kinds of innuendo during phalla

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Well, yeah, but I'm old now.
    Sooo old.

• Options
    Don't feel bad, stever - soon you'll be dead and then you'll never be old again!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    SeGaTai - Dispatcher Turn

Player Card Draws -
    "Gov't Grant" Special; Chicago

Infection Card Draws - (1 cube placed in each city)
    San Francisco; Bogota

• Options
    caliber - Scientist Turn
    2pandemiconthebrinkmap.png
    Roles, locations, current hand sizes & cards -
    BobCesca - Operations Expert; Milan; (4) - Essen; Bogota; Kolkata; Jakarta
    SeGaTai - Dispatcher; Seoul; (5) - Chicago; Los Angeles; Moscow; Cairo; "Gov't Grant" Special (Build Research Station in any city for free.)
    caliber - Scientist; Atlanta; (6) - Paris; Mexico City; Osaka; Bangkok; Seoul; Shanghai
    NotoriusBEN - Medic; Santiago; (3) - London; Santiago; "Airlift" Special (Move Any Pawn To Any City.)
    Iron Weasel - Researcher; Lima; (2) - Washington; Manila

pandemicroles.png

• Options
    Come on, caliber - let's win us a Nobel!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Of course, this game is going faster than Game 1, which seems to be...dead.

• Options
    Maybe they're all on
    Sick Leave

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    doh

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Obviously my first move is going to be curing the dreaded Rumples but what else do you guys think I should do? I'm thinking of flying to the station in Paris and start cleaning some of the horrifying Night Pox. I notice we have four blue and yellow cards between all of us. Maybe I should start moving to exchange knowledge between all of us? Thoughts?

caliber on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Fuck, guys. Looking closer at this, both Istanbul and Khartoum are about to outbreak, I think, which would put us just one outbreak away from a loss here.

I could, however, cure Scarlet Rumples while SeGaTai's Gov't Grant opens a research station out in Khartoum. I'd then fly to Khartoum, treat a little Yellow Fevah then get an Airlift from NotoriousBEN to Istanbul to help out with their Night Pox. It'd guarantee we don't outbreak if we don't get another epidemic ... but it'd cost two special cards. What do you guys think of that plan?

caliber on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If the alternative puts us on the brink of defeat, do we have much choice?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Good enough plan to me.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If the alternative puts us on the brink of defeat, do we have much choice?

If I'm right, there's a 1/3 chance for each of Khartoum, Istanbul, and Santiago on my turn. If it's Khartoum AND Istanbul, we lose flat out. But it might be one of those and Santiago, in which case we'd have one more turn until defeat. I kinda think we're screwed either way, but hopefully that's just the cynical Researcher in me.

If the NotoriousBEN approves the plan then we'll go through with it and cross our fingers.

Edit: We could also use only one special card to get me to Khartoum, and I could take a die off of it and maybe Logos. We might still see an Outbreak in Istanbul but barring an Epidemic wouldn't face immediate defeat.

caliber on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    No, no - I'm the Researcher, you're the Scientist.

Honestly, I let you look at my notes for five minutes and you think you're Marie Curie!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Your notes indicate being confused about who you are is one of the first signs of Rumples infection. I may need more care around my samples ...

• Options
    edited November 2012
    sounds like a plan, but my question then becomes how do I get myself to asia and cure the Rumples?
    When a cure is found, I dont need to spend an action to remove the disease, I do it as a free action

and while that's a 1/3 chance for those places, the other red cards were shuffled into the deck as well. Thoughts?

edit* Also... figured I'd call the stuff in San Francisco The Blues

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Fair question! You could get our Researcher's Manila card then use it to fly over there. Wouldn't be able to get to the really dangerous cities though ...

Ok, I think Shanghai will outbreak pretty soon as well, looking at my notes. So...

1) I cure the Scarlet Rumples using Osaka, Bangkok, Seoul, and Shanghai

2) I ask Medic NotoriousBEN to use his "Airlift" to fly me out to Khartoum then spend a day treating some of the Yellow Fevah the people there are suffering from

3) Then hopping in my car over to Lagos

4) Spend another day treating some more Yellow Fevah

I think Khartoum, Santiago, and Istanbul should be on top of the deck, with Shanghai and Lagos underneath. Probably can't stop Khartoum AND Istanbul from outbreaking if we also want to prevent Shanghai and Lagos so this is the best plan I can come up with. It'd prevent 3 out of 4 if I'm right about the order the cards are coming in. SeGa, if you set up a research station for BEN in Hong Kong, he can run up through Shanghai and Beijing clearing out the Rumples.

Also, The Blues is the bestest name for that illness ever.

caliber on
  • Options
    You guys should feel free to help yourselves to what cards I have that could be of use to you.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Life seems to be giving me some more free time, can I put myself down as a potential to get into the next game stever?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    One more question before I go ahead with it caliber... edit** questionS actually...

QUESTION Stever:

I dont remember the shuffle mechanic. All the cards in the infector pile get shuffled and placed on top of the infector pile again correct?

I know we cant look at the infector deck but were we a allowed to see the discard pile before it is reshuffled? That'd help with sizing up our predictions and moves.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Life seems to be giving me some more free time, can I put myself down as a potential to get into the next game stever?

Sure!
    How could I say no to Cthulhu?

QUESTION Stever:

I dont remember the shuffle mechanic. All the cards in the infector pile get shuffled and placed on top of the infector pile again correct?

I know we cant look at the infector deck but were we a allowed to see the discard pile before it is reshuffled? That'd help with sizing up our predictions and moves.

All the cards in the infector discard pile get shuffled and placed on top of the infector pile again.
    Any cards that were revealed from the last Epidemic card til now would be on top.
    I.E. - Khartoum, Santiago, Istanbul, (Shanghai, Lagos, San Francisco, Bogota - already drawn)
    Then, it will start to dig back into Bob's Forecast set, if another Epidemic doesn't occur.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited November 2012
    caliber - Scientist Turn

Scarlet Rumples has been cured! (Indicated bottom-middle of board with a vial.)
    Any player may remove all red cubes in a city for one action and the Medic may remove all red cubes in a city for no actions.

Player Card Draws -
    Baghdad; Toronto

Infection Card Draws - (1 cube placed in each city)
    Khartoum; Santiago

stever777 on

• Options
    NotoriusBEN - Medic Turn
    2pandemiconthebrinkmap.png
    Roles, locations, current hand sizes & cards -
    BobCesca - Operations Expert; Milan; (4) - Essen; Bogota; Kolkata; Jakarta
    SeGaTai - Dispatcher; Seoul; (5) - Chicago; Los Angeles; Moscow; Cairo; "Gov't Grant" Special (Build Research Station in any city for free.)
    caliber - Scientist; Lagos; (4) - Paris; Toronto; Mexico City; Baghdad
    NotoriusBEN - Medic; Santiago; (2) - London; Santiago
    Iron Weasel - Researcher; Lima; (2) - Washington; Manila

pandemicroles.png

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Caliber, your sig is wrong.
    You're the Scientist, not the Researcher.
    Confused me for a moment.

stever777 on

• Options
    holy wow. good call on cards @caliber

Ok then so that means that
    Istanbul and Essen should be drawn on my turn. Since the epidemic was pulled before any of Bob's Forecast came up.
    afterwards its Jakarta; Beijing; on Iron Weasel's Turn
    then Ho Chi Minh City; Riyadh; on Bob's Turn
    and Seoul and an unknown card on SegaTai's Turn

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG.

if I'm right what does that leave us with in order to counteract this stuff?
    I can burn my Santiago card and place a Research Station in Santiago, then SegaTai can put a research station anywhere with his Gov't Grant, which would allow me to get out of my corner.
    If we placed it at Istanbul I could take care of the immediate outbreak there, but we'd lose on Iron Weasel's Turn because no one could get to Beijing.
    Therefore I ask that @SegaTai place the Research Station in Beijing. This would allow me to travel to there on my second action, then move to Shanghai, then to Seoul.

What this means is that Istanbul will outbreak again and crap Night Pox all over the middle east, but we are still in the game for another couple player turns.

If anyone has a better use of the next two turns to keep Istanbul -and- Beijing from exploding I'm open to ideas.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Doh! Researcher Weasel will never let me live this one down. :oops:

BEN, I wasn't able to figure out a way that'd keep Istanbul and Beijing from both out breaking, although I don't have access to the work I did to determine that today. Putting a research station in Beijing or Hong Kong and at least clearing Beijing and Shanghai was the best I could figure out.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    If we survive this, I'll be dragging you in front of a Review Board, Scientist caliber!

I'm kinda with the credit-hog, though - we've got a cure for the Rumples, I feel that we need to leverage it. If we can start cleaning up Asia, it might buy us some more time.

We actually have enough cards between us to discover curesfor Yellow Fevah, The Blues and Night Pox - we just have to figure out how to efficiently funnel them to caliber.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Alright then, with @SeGaTai 's approval this will be my turn:

1) Play Santiago and place a Research Station there. SeGaTai will use Gov't Grant and place a Research Station in Shanghai
    2) I will fly from Santiago to Shanghai. Clean up city as a free action.
    3) Drive to Beijing. Clean up city as a free action.
    4) Drive to Seoul. Clean up city as a free action.

By staying in Seoul, this will give me the best opportunity to move through the reinfected red areas that will be drawn again, and allow SeGaTai to move and direct you guys without having to worry about sitting on Seoul.
    May their god have mercy on them in the middle east, the heathens :P

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Make it so

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    slight edit to my actions, but it still ends up the same.
    Putting the Research station in Shanghai allows for a quicker jump to the America's and a slightly closer jump to southern asia and the middle east.

a4irovn5uqjp.png