As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, November 26, 2012 - From Hell To Breakfast

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That is a gross violation of Hume's Law. There is no causal connection between "is" and "ought to be".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Perhaps. But it's also funny and true!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    That is a gross violation of Hume's Law. There is no causal connection between "is" and "ought to be".

Mike and Jerry must be so embarrassed

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Now that Tycho's newspost is up, I wonder if he is part border collie.

• Options
    Ulti-Moose Ulti-Moose Registered User regular
    Everything becomes tainted eventually. It's only a matter of time before the Cock of Doody fans show up to complain why they're parents had to get them the "shitty baby console" for Christmas...

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    have to type fast robot santa on my tail but they are not saying gaming communities ought to be awful they are saying there are telltale signs of what a gaming community is and the miiverse is missing them it's like if you say 'Costco has free samples i don't see any free samples how is this a costco' you're not saying they ought to have free samples (well you probably would say that but you don't have to say it) you're just saying 'this doesn't seem like other costcos i've been to'

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Inductive reasoning! Logicians, man your battle stations!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    somewhere in vienna, popper stirs

• Options
    have to type fast robot santa on my tail but they are not saying gaming communities ought to be awful they are saying there are telltale signs of what a gaming community is and the miiverse is missing them it's like if you say 'Costco has free samples i don't see any free samples how is this a costco' you're not saying they ought to have free samples (well you probably would say that but you don't have to say it) you're just saying 'this doesn't seem like other costcos i've been to'

I think Tycho is following that line of reasoning. Gabe on the other hand makes his statement quite clear.

1. Gaming communities ought to contain X, Y, Z.
    2. Miiverse does not contain X, Y, Z.
    3. Miiverse is not a gaming community.

Either that or he does not recognize the definition that a gaming community is one that plays and talks about games together.

P.S: Applying philosophical theories to silliness is one way I entertain myself. And this is silly in itself. If you don't like it you don't have to answer. Not in this thread or by sending messages to me.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Going to change lanes here.

Pinny Arcade?! PA is turning into Disneyland

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

I think Tycho is following that line of reasoning. Gabe on the other hand makes his statement quite clear.

Either that or he does not recognize the definition that a gaming community is one that plays and talks about games together.

P.S: Applying philosophical theories to silliness is one way I entertain myself. And this is silly in itself. If you don't like it you don't have to answer. Not in this thread or by sending messages to me.
    Or he was making a (subjectively) humorous statement about the general state of online gaming.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular

Does he? Because you can remove two words from your line of reasoning, and it would still fit Gabe's reaction:

I don't think Gabe is meant to be making a value judgement in this comic, whether gaming communities "ought to" contain X, Y, and Z (if he is, forty may be correct that it's sarcastic).

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »

Does he? Because you can remove two words from your line of reasoning, and it would still fit Gabe's reaction:

I don't think Gabe is meant to be making a value judgement in this comic, whether gaming communities "ought to" contain X, Y, and Z (if he is, forty may be correct that it's sarcastic).

yeah this is how i read the joke.

There's nothing in there suggesting what an online gaming community should be like. Only what they are/have been like.

• Options
    marsilies wrote: »

Well, yes. Because a more textbook definition would be "gaming communities play games". X,Y,Z is a non-core value.