As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was RightGates of SteelRegistered User regular
As much as we all love comics, there are a lot of really bad things going on in them, or things you might not like.
j8O3s.jpg
72V2T.jpg
YJFU4.png
So yeah, reserve your anger or hate for this thread, talk about happy stuff in other threads!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2012
    Robot Santa, set phasers to stun

DJ Eebs on
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Is A Pony. Setting force level to 'lethal'.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I see any of the nonsense I saw at the start of the last thread and Robot Santa will wish you a Merry Christmas

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I looked at the nonsense of the last closed thread
    if you are a fan of comics how can you answer a question like that if you are not into spiderman?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So is anybody here actually reading H'EL ON EARTH?

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    i read the superboy issue where he fights h'el. this guy is stupidly written. all throughout hes saying " i can kill you with my little pinky if i wanted to........buuuuut i wont"

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Anti I am frowning at you so hard for putting Superior Spider-Man in that OP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Why does H'El have a backwards S-Logo anyway? Is it just some kind of nod to Bizarro, even though the characters are almost completely different?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    not everyone likes the idea of Superior Spider-Man bale

We don't even really know what it is yet!

bitching about stuff that ain't even out yet is bad form in my opinion

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Well people can not like what they have heard

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm holding off on bitching about Superior until at least 700 and then the first issue.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I hate Dan Slott's body of work

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Why does H'El have a backwards S-Logo anyway? Is it just some kind of nod to Bizarro, even though the characters are almost completely different?

I think it is supposed to be new bizarro, at least that's what Lobdell hinted at when he was announced as Superman writer. Something about making Bizarro more threatening than just being a childish character.

Antimatter wrote: »
    I hate Dan Slott's body of work

Gonna make the next OP all grant morrison all the time

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    that's too petty to be anything but laughable.

i put that in the OP as an example for people to complain about comics they themselves do not like. chill.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I see any of the nonsense I saw at the start of the last thread and Robot Santa will wish you a Merry Christmas

Well, that sounds like a wonder--wait a second...

euj90n71sojo.png
    Anti come on now, clearly I was saying that tongue firmly in cheek.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TexiKen wrote: »

I think it is supposed to be new bizarro, at least that's what Lobdell hinted at when he was announced as Superman writer. Something about making Bizarro more threatening than just being a childish character.

Oh yeah, I know that the character is supposed to be a spin on Bizarro. I was just wondering if there was an in-story justification for the backwards emblem.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    New thread, still have my same old grievances with DC's New 52.

Especially their treatment of Barbara Gordon, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Vic Sage, Renee Montoya, Wally West, Connor Hawke, Mia Dearden, Ted Kord, Jaime Reyes, Tim Drake, Selina Kyle, Holly Robinson*, Harley Quinn, Dinah Laurel Lance, Helena Bertinelli, Booster Gold, etc., etc., etc.

Fortunately I'm not really following comic news as much anymore, outside of the Spider-man stuff.

Edit: And H'el is a stupid and more senseless 90s grimdark. People actually liked Bizarro, and there's nothing wrong with a character being considered "childish" (and even if there were, Bizarro was still capable of being plenty dangerous in his old form if the story called for it).

*To be fair, Holly was written out before the New 52, but IIRC Catwoman's new origin doesn't feature her at all, implying that she no longer exists. Well, "no longer exists" in the same capacity as some of the other missing characters where she could exist but her storylines and character connections have been wiped out.

Lars on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    the only thing dumber than H'el is the fact that he's replacing Bizarro

the sheer lack of self-awareness at DC is mind-boggling

• RansRans Registered User regular
    did... did anyone read the interviews where they said H'el is not Bizarro? was that just me? He started off as a potential Bizarro replacement, but the editors nixed that and he's his own character. And H'el on Earth isn't that bad so far. I'm actually reading it!

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Wait the baby's gone? Fffuck you dc!

While ive been told it started really bad, I loved the tail end of the last catwoman series and her child.

I dunno I'm pretty comfortable with passing judgement on him without reading the book because

1. He's a New 52 character
    2. Created by Scott Lobdell
    3. His fucking name is H'el

that is three strikes you don't come back from

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I hadn't read the newer interviews, so at least Bizarro is harmed for later.

TexiKen wrote: »
    I hadn't read the newer interviews, so at least Bizarro is harmed for later.

The sad part is this is probably more accurate when read literally

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My bitch is that by having a bitching thread newly made and already locked, we negated the pride I felt in having multiple threads hit 100 pages twice before our bitching thread capped once!

Otherwise my only real bitch lately ( cause like others have said we just don't know what's gonna happen, even beyond spidey) is that my wallet screams in horror going near the comic store lately, it knows the punishment it's in for.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    My current bitch, the stickers for the digital codes in Marvel have been a pain to peel off. Although recently I saw they made them about 50% smaller, so that's a plus.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    2/3 issues in to Lobdell's Superman stuff.... I kinda like it. A lot of the dialogue is hokey (he goes a bit too far in making Superman sound young and modern) but H'el himself comes off almost as a silver agey villain the way Lobdell handles him. And I don't mean it in a bad way. The art is great, Lois is finally being used as a character and a lot of the cues are clearly being taken from All-Star Superman. Color me interested.

At the very lowest rung of compliments I have, it is at least better Superman: Grounded and Superman: Earth One (both volumes).

Tairu on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Hey, I haven't been in here for a few days, what did you guys do that got the previous thread locked alrejesus christ

See, that's why I try not to get angry about comics things. It makes you post stuff like that on the internet.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    The H'el on Earth post today on SD actually got me interested in checking the story out.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I dunno, the "dark mirror image" enemy thing has been done ad nauseum. E.g. Spider-man / Venom, Mach / Superboy, etc. I can't remember the last time a "dark mirror image" enemy storyline had me interested.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited November 2012
    The dark mirror thing doesn't work if the characters just look the similar and/or have similar powers. There needs to be some compelling inversion of morals or personalities that reveals something insightful about both characters.

For instance, I don't buy the idea that Eddie Brock is some kind of dark mirror image of Spider-Man. Brock is just a lousy journalist with a symbiotic entity locked onto him, and there's nothing about that that resonates when contrasted with Peter Parker.

Phil Urich does work as a dark mirror, though. They have similar personal lives and personalities but nonetheless diverge greatly because Urich lacks that bit of moral fiber that allows Parker to overcome hardship rather than use it as an excuse to give in. By looking at Urich, we understand a little more about Parker, and that's what allows Urich to fulfill that dark mirror image thing that you're talking about.

Robos A Go Go on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Venom never really struck me as a "dark mirror image". He came close some times, but I think when he was originally created there just wasn't enough characterization. Then again, you could say that Venom was a creation of the 90's, and embodied a lot about it.

Now, I'll buy that Norman Osborn as the Iron Patriot works as a mirror image of Tony Stark. In so many ways, they're the same. I love stories in which Norman Osborn and Tony Stark go head to head, and I wish that was an ongoing thing.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative The Geebs That Is A Pony. Setting force level to 'low'.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Brock isn't a dark mirror of Peter, but Venom is a dark mirror of Spider-Man
    It comes from the symbiote first bonding to Peter and resenting him for rejecting it

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    That's not a reflection. It's just a vendetta.

http://www.themarysue.com/james-gunnsuperhero-sex-post/

So James Gunn turned out to be terrible

SURPRISING NO ONE

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm a little surprised.

This discussion has been closed.