As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel RPG] A Tale of Two Worlds

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Kitty tucks a stray lock of hair behind an ear. "Well, Carmen had a pretty good plan. Large-scale threats and mobs are really susceptible to Area Attacks. You can keep multiple effect dice by spending Power Points. The key thing there is to have lots of dice from which you can draw the extra effects.

"Telesto's Many Tentacles is still an Asset you can use at d6, but Obscura is pretty good at creating Darkforce entities to do her bidding. Her dice pool would be pretty big, plus the bonus to the effect die could make for a really sizable effect."
    Example: Obscura creates a Darkforce avatar to battle Hulk
    Team d8 (or Buddy Up with Telesto at d10), Created by Magic d8, Telepathy d8, Darkforce Control d8, SFX: Constructs d6, Mystic Expert d8, Telesto's Many Tentacles d6

Odds are you'd get an Asset at d8 or d12 that would step up to d10 or d12.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Telesto's voice comes from nowhere once more "You must control the darkness within yourself, bend it to your will. Only then will the beast be caged."

Though Banner is clearly unaffected by them, the words resonate with Obscura, who is surprised to see bars of solid darkforce begin to form around the Hulk.
    Ok reread the mob rules and it seems the darkforce idea is better than 'let hulk smash everything' so here goes.

Buddy (with Obscura) 1d10; Transcendant Shaman 1d8; Invisibility (unleashed) 1d12; Mimic Stunt 1d10 (0pp remaining); Telesto's Tentacles 1d6

Darkforce cage: 1d10 10 1d8 1 1d12 2 1d10 6 1d6 1

Oh gosh dang. That'll be a Total of 16 with a d12 effect die to aid Obscura's next action.

Doom Pool serves as opposition to Telesto's attempt to establish an asset: 1d8 7 1d8 5 1d8 4 1d10 6 1d10 7 1d12 10...

Jesus. 20 w/ d10 effect. Telesto's attempt fails, and a d10 is added to the Doom Pool.

As the Hulk swats away the darkforce, the SHIELD earpiece communicators crackle to life. Agent Nesler's voice can vaguely be heard through the static. "...testing? Can you hear me? We finally have the Hulkbuster gunship overhead, can you lead Hulk to the surface?"

@Grog to determine who goes next.
    Yet to Act
    Nellie Cochrane
    Obscura
    Dr. David Row
    Ranger Saar
    Telesto

Symbiote Jigsaw (Stressed Out!)
    Symbiote Razor-Fist (Stressed Out!)

Rampaging Hulk

Scene Distinctions (d8)
    Oppressive Darkness
    Confined Corridors
    No One Likes Hulk When He’s Angry

Assets
    Telesto's Intangibility Field d12
    Teletso's ??? d6

Symbiote Jigsaw
    Solo d6, Buddy d4, Team d8
    Crime Pays, Hitman, Sadist

Symbiote Spawn
    Enhanced Durability d6, Superhuman Reflexes d8, Enhanced Stamina d6
    Superhuman Strength d8, Tentacles d6, Wallcrawling d6
    Web-slinging d6

SFX: Feed. On any successful action that includes Tentacles, step up physical stress by +1.
    SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Symbiote Spawn powers in your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
    Limit: Fire and Sonic Vulnerability. When making a reaction against fire- or sonic-based actions, the spawn's host takes emotional stress equal to the effect die of the attack, regardless of whether he also takes physical stress. If he's stressed out by emotional stress, he flees immediately.

Combat Expert d8, Crime Master d10, Menace Master d10

Physical Stress: d12 (Stressed Out!)
    Physical Trauma: d6
    Blinded by Poison: d8
    Symbiote Razor-Fist
    Solo d8, Buddy d4, Team d6
    Hedonist, Look No Hands, Killer-For-Hire

Symbiote Spawn
    Web-slinging d6

SFX: Feed. On any successful action that includes Tentacles, step up physical stress by +1.
    SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Symbiote Spawn powers in your dice pool, at -1 step for each additional power.
    Limit: Fire and Sonic Vulnerability. When making a reaction against fire- or sonic-based actions, the spawn's host takes emotional stress equal to the effect die of the attack, regardless of whether he also takes physical stress. If he's stressed out by emotional stress, he flees immediately.

Acrobatic Expert d8, Combat Master D10
    Covert Expert d8, Menace Expert d8

Rampaging Hulk
    Solo d10/d12/d12, Buddy d10/d12/d12, Team d10/d12/d12
    Man or Monster?, Engine of Destruction, Green Goliath

Gamma-Charged Genetics
    Enhanced Reflexes d8, Godlike Durability d12
    Godlike Stamina d12, Godlike Strength d12
    Leaping d10, Mystic Sense d6

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
    SFX: Rage-Fueled Might. Add a die equal to your emotional stress to the doom pool to include your emotional stress in your next action. If your opponent includes your emotional stress in a reaction dice pool, step it up.
    SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back physical trauma.
    SFX: Hulk Smash! Against a single opponent, double a Gamma-Charged Genetics die. Remove the highest-rolling die and add another die to your total.
    SFX: Strongest There Is! In a reaction against an opponent with a Strength power trait, spend 1 PP or step up your emotional stress to add a die equal to the opponent’s Strengthto your dice pool.
    Limit: Limitless Anger. When the doom pool includes at least 2d12 or you take emotional trauma, move all stress and trauma to the doom pool and activate Rampaging Hulk.
    Limit: Puny Banner. When you recover all of your emotional stress and trauma, shutdown Gamma-Charged Genetics and revert to Banner to gain 1 PP. Take emotional stress to recover Gamma-Charged Genetics

Combat Expert d8, Menace Master d10

Doom Pool:
    d8.pngd8.pngd8.pngd10.pngd10.pngd10.pngd12.pngd12.png

@tzeentchling should have better luck, surely?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    "I think I may have a plan, then, though I don't know if you're going to like it. Who's ready for a chase scene?" says Lucy.

Turning to Kitty, Lucy continues, "Get him to the surface, eh? Well, we should be able to do that. As long as they don't mind the place getting a bit torn up along the way...."

In character as Obscura: "Roger that, SHIELD. We'll try our best." To her companions, she says, "We need to get him to the surface. Everyone get ready to move! I'm going to try to lead Hulk on a chase."

Obscura can't quite believe the next words out of her mouth, but as she takes to the air on her wings she taunts the Hulk, shouting, "Hey, puny Hulk! You might be strong, but you're not that fast! No way you're gonna catch me!" A telepathic nudge ensures that he'll respond the way she wants him to.
    I guess this would essentially be inflicting emotional stress on Hulk, trying to rile him up? While dodging his blows.

D8 team + D10 Excellent Scout + D8 Telepathy + D8 Acrobatics Expert + D8 No One Likes Hulk When He's Angry + D8 Confined Corridors: 5d8+1d10
    [5d8=3, 3, 1, 2, 1] [1d10=10] holy crap that's crap, and two opportunities for the GM to take advantage of. Let's spend a PP to make it a 16 w/d8 effect. Probably not enough, that doom pool is getting insane.

Gonna be away from Friday 26th to Wednesday 31st, so don't pick me! Telesto will just be a ghost if the story requires it. He was a ghost all along! WoooOOOoo.

As for the plan, I am all for Hulk smashing things and finding out what this Hulkbuster is.

Hulk reacts:
    Solo 3d8, 3d10, 2d12; Mystical Sense d6;
    Hulk reacts to Obscura's attempt to incite emotional stress: 3d8 9 3d10 13 2d12 13 1d6 6

19 w/ d8 effect. I'll send a d8 from the Doom Pool to inflict d8 Physical Stress on Obscura.

Spoiling for a fight, Hulk grinned and leaped after Obscura. Though the darkforce-infused clone was fast, she was unprepared for the green goliath's massive reach. Hulk caught Obscura, then jumped straight up - through three floors of the solid concrete - to the top of the Raft. With an ear-shattering roar, the rampaging monster slammed Obscura down in front of the SHIELD helicopter.
    Spend a d8 from the Doom Pool to split Obscura off from the party.

SHIELD agents scattered for cover. Agent Nesler raised his walkie-talkie to his mouth, but, ears still ringing, Obscura couldn't hear what was said. Behind him, the helicopter's side door slid open to reveal a mounted minigun - with a SHIELD agent at the controls.

@Suicide Slyde to close out the round.
    Yet to Act
    Nellie Cochrane
    Obscura, d8 Physical Stress
    Dr. David Row
    Ranger Saar
    Telesto

Symbiote Jigsaw (Stressed Out!)
    Symbiote Razor-Fist (Stressed Out!)

Rampaging Hulk

Scene Distinctions (d8)
    Oppressive Darkness
    Confined Corridors

Assets
    Telesto's Intangibility Field d12
    Teletso's ??? d6

Symbiote Jigsaw
    Solo d6, Buddy d4, Team d8
    Crime Pays, Hitman, Sadist

Symbiote Spawn
    Web-slinging d6

Combat Expert d8, Crime Master d10, Menace Master d10

Blinded by Poison: d8
    Symbiote Razor-Fist
    Solo d8, Buddy d4, Team d6
    Hedonist, Look No Hands, Killer-For-Hire

Symbiote Spawn
    Web-slinging d6

Acrobatic Expert d8, Combat Master D10
    Covert Expert d8, Menace Expert d8

Rampaging Hulk
    Solo d10/d12/d12, Buddy d10/d12/d12, Team d10/d12/d12

Gamma-Charged Genetics

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
    SFX: Rage-Fueled Might. Add a die equal to your emotional stress to the doom pool to include your emotional stress in your next action. If your opponent includes your emotional stress in a reaction dice pool, step it up.
    SFX: Healing Factor. Spend 1 PP to recover your physical stress and step back physical trauma.
    SFX: Hulk Smash! Against a single opponent, double a Gamma-Charged Genetics die. Remove the highest-rolling die and add another die to your total.
    SFX: Strongest There Is! In a reaction against an opponent with a Strength power trait, spend 1 PP or step up your emotional stress to add a die equal to the opponent’s Strengthto your dice pool.
    Limit: Limitless Anger. When the doom pool includes at least 2d12 or you take emotional trauma, move all stress and trauma to the doom pool and activate Rampaging Hulk.
    Limit: Puny Banner. When you recover all of your emotional stress and trauma, shutdown Gamma-Charged Genetics and revert to Banner to gain 1 PP. Take emotional stress to recover Gamma-Charged Genetics

Doom Pool:
    d8.pngd10.pngd10.pngd10.pngd12.pngd12.png

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    "Well that's one way to lead him out of here," David remarks, as he stares up through the holes leading to the top of the Raft. "I guess there's only one way to do this now."

David looks down at his arm as the green begins to spread across his body.
    Shapeshift into the Hulk to create an Asset1d10 4 1d12 12 1d8 6
    Spent an opportunity to add the d8
    18 w/ d10 effect
    I have 1pp left to use, if I need to spend it to create this form as an asset for the rest of the scene

Suicide Slyde on
    @Suicide Slyde
    I'm not exactly sure which dice you're rolling there. 1d10 solo, 1d12 for Telesto's asset?, 1d8 for a distinction. At the very least, you can roll a d10 push die for the opportunity you activated last round, another d10 for shapeshifting (or another d12 if you're using SFX: Unleashed (Shapeshifting)), and a d10 (or 2d8, or 3d6) for Science Master.

• Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @jdarksun
    1d10 solo 1d12 shapeshifting unleashed 1d8 push die. I didn't even think of using science master distinction. I could add 1d8 for science master instead of the just 1d8 push, if that's alright? I probably should have just asked since I was having a derp moment.

Suicide Slyde on
    edited October 2012
    @Suicide Slyde
    Yeah man, the way I figure it you can at least roll another couple dice. The d10 push die, and d10 science master. Roll 'em as you like, and feel free to spend (or not) that PP differently.

jdarksun on
    @jdarksun Wow, I did not see that you replied to my post, my bad, I apologize for the hold up.
    additional dice rolledso the grand total now comes to 1d10 4 1d12 12 1d8 6 1d10 5 1d10 5
    So, 18 w/ 2d10 effect, 1pp spent to add an effect die, hopefully 18 will be high enough

Sorry for the delay, ambushed by RL and NaNoWriMo.

@Suicide Slyde
    Opposition to Dr. Row's asset creation: 1d8 8 1d10 8 1d10 5 1d10 2 1d12 5 1d12 11

19 w/ d12 effect.

Thick muscles wrapped around Dr. Row's arms, ready to power massive green fists.

@Suicide Slyde to determine who starts the next round.

@tzeentchling to go next

Dazed and ears still ringing, Obscura struggles to stand up and assess the situation. Realizing that offense hasn't gotten them anywhere so far, she decides to shift to defense and see if the SHIELD officers can do any better with their specialized equipment. Concentrating through the pain, she starts to create a barrier of darkforce between the Hulk and herself and the SHIELD operatives on the ground.
    Create Asset - Darkforce Barrier:
    Solo D6 + Crated By Magic D10 + Darkforce Control D8 + Mystic Expert D8:
    1d6+1d10+2d8 [1d6=5] [1d10=6] [2d8=8, 2] 14 with d8 effect.

Seriously though, this doom pool is just killing us. How the heck can we get it back down?

Hi! Sorry, first time I've been at a computer and not working all day, one sec

No worries!

There is a quiet sound, almost like tearing fabric, as the Starktech Hulkbuster gunship opens fire on the rampaging green menace. A steady stream of small, buzzing projectiles streak down from the sky, peppering the Hulk. He stares at the red darts that spring up along his green skin, then brushes them aside. But more quickly replace them. With a roar, the Hulk leaps into the sky, grabbing the UAV and smashing it against the deck of the Raft. He staggers, and, for a moment, you think the Starktech has incapacitated the beast.

With a shake of its green head, and a roar of defiance, Hulk leaps off the Raft, towards the nearest land - the Docks.

The Starktech gunship has been destroyed, but the Hulkbuster gun itself seems like you could get it up and running again. It's a modular system designed to be deployed on a UAV, and while it certainly won't be comfortable to carry, anyone with sufficient (Enhanced) strength or similar ability (d8+) could move it around. The gun bears a remarkably similarity to a vulcan cannon, though it fires some sort of caseless ammunition that seems to deplete the Hulk's strength. Scientific or Technological inquiry might reveal its secrets.

(( OOC ))
    To get the Doom Pool back down to manageable levels, I'm moving the Scene along (+2 XP to everyone - I'll do a full breakdown of XP after this Scene). You're still trying to stop Hulk from destroying Manhattan, but he's taken the fight off the Raft.

@tzeentchling
    Feel free to revise or modify your action as you desire.
    Yet to Act
    Nellie Cochrane
    Dr. David Row
    Ranger Saar
    Telesto

Rampaging Hulk

Scene Distinctions (d8)
    Dock Detritus
    Fleeing Bystanders

Assets
    (none!)
    Rampaging Hulk
    Solo (Doom Pool), Buddy (Doom Pool), Team (Doom Pool)

Gamma-Charged Genetics

Doom Pool:
    d8.pngd10.pngd10.png

Honestly, I don't know what else I could do. Well, hmmm...

After seeing the Hulk turn his attention away from her and the SHIELD agents on the ground, Obscura realizes she's left her companions a bit behind. Standing at the edge of the hole the Hulk created, she transforms her initial wall into a narrow ladder. "Everybody who can't fly or teleport, get up here now! We've still got work to do!"

@GrimmyTOA to go next. He's strong enough to wield the gun and probably has training in firing large weapons!

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Saar scampers up the ladder with surprising agility for one so large, and his facial tentacles visibly spasm when he notices the hulkbuster cannon.

"This... this has possibilities." He snatches it up and sprints to the edge of the Raft, searching for some mode of transport to the mainland.

@Sneaks to go next

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    OOC: Sorry about the delay.

Nell lingered at the bottom of the ladder while Carmen pondered what she actually wanted to do. Her eyes were stuck to her character sheet; specifically one of the milestones:
    10XP when another hero helps you cover up an event you inadvertently made public or when you cover up your involvement in an event at the expense of another hero
    It was absurdly specific, really, but now a scenario fitting it had fallen into her lap. Had Kitty done this on purpose? Carmen examined the GM's poker face; it was inscrutable. But when life gives you lemons…

No. If she disappeared now, they'd all just look for her, and probably find her. She'd never beat all those rolls. 'Maybe there'll be an opportunity in the upcoming scene…' "I follow up the ladder," Carmen said.

@Suicide Slyde is next.

Sneaks on
    Ranger Saar notices a perfectly good, undamaged rotorcraft next to Agent Nesler. In the past, you have noted that this planet's policing agencies will, if necessary, appropriate a vehicle in the pursuit of their duties. Though primitive, this craft should serve as an adequate transportation mechanism to the mainland.

Dr. Row climbs out of the hole, his massive Hulk fists digging into the concrete as he climbs out. He spys Ranger Saar holding the massive Hulkbuster cannon.

"Hey... you... whatever you are, I think I can help you with that. I'm no engineer but I think I can make that a little easier. Besides that looks like Starktech and I doubt you have the proper authorizations to run that."

Without waiting for Saar's response, David begins sifting through the wreckage and prodding at Saar and the cannon.
    Create Hulkbuster Cannon Mount (Asset) 2d8 1,8 3d6 5,3,4
    9 w/ d8 effect and 1 set aside for the Watcher. Go me.

Paul sighs heavily as he stares at the dice. "Well I tried."

Doom Pool serves as opposition: 1d8 6 1d10 9 1d10 7, 16 w/ d8 effect

There isn't enough intact secondary components to make a functional weapon mount, but Dr. Row does verify that the cannon is ready to fire.

(( Once successfully deployed against the Hulk, the Hulkbuster's anti-gamma nanites will provide a d12 Asset that can be leveraged in any further attacks ))

edited November 2012
    Blink

Telesto appears in the co-pilots seat of the rotorcraft and beams to the pilot "Hello!"

Terrified, the man barely has time to leap out of the cockpit before lengths of glowing cloth flow out from both doors, wrapping around Saar and the 'buster.
    Make a Saar-harness: 1d10 7 1d18 15 1d10 10

Woops that was a d18 Here goes again: 1d8 8

18 Total with a 1d10 effect to secure Saar beneath the chopper.

Grog on
    edited November 2012
    Doom Pool serves as opposition: 1d8 6 1d10 10 1d10 5, 15 w/ d8 effect

As the helicopter roars away from the Raft, Agent Nesler's voice crackles over the radio. "See, this is why I prefer working with mid-tier metahumans. More awesome impromptu teamwork." You can hear the laughter in his voice even through the lingering static.

(( Who's flying the helicopter, who's on board, is anyone flying under their own power, etc? ))

The commercial docks are anemic this time of year, mostly populated with mid-sized fishing boats. Hulk appears to be terrorizing the fishermen and factory workers, throwing about semitrailers, dumpsters, and every other large, heavy object he can get his giant green hands on.
    Hulk terrorizes dock workers: 1d10 4 1d8 2 1d10 2, 6 w/ d8 effect - add a d8 to the Doom Pool.

(( Ranger Saar has a d10 Asset from Telesto's Support Action he can use, so let's have @GrimmyTOA go next ))
    Yet to Act
    Nellie Cochrane
    Dr. David Row
    Ranger Saar
    Telesto

Rampaging Hulk

Scene Distinctions (d8)
    Dock Detritus
    Fleeing Bystanders

Assets
    (none!)
    Rampaging Hulk

Gamma-Charged Genetics

Doom Pool:
    d8.pngd8.pngd10.pngd10.png

jdarksun on
    So, if I'm going to fire the hulkbuster gun (at the hulk, obviously) I'd use that d12 asset instead of my d10 'dangling beneath a chopper' asset, right? Or can I use both?

edited November 2012
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    So, if I'm going to fire the hulkbuster gun (at the hulk, obviously) I'd use that d12 asset instead of my d10 'dangling beneath a chopper' asset, right? Or can I use both?
    The d12 asset is an ongoing effect once you hit him with the anti-gamma nanites.

Hey, you know what would be super helpful? A gear power set for this thing! Kitty tears a sheet of paper in half, and jots the following down:
    Hulkbuster Flechette Gun
    Weapon: d12

SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple dice on a single Large-Scale Threat. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die. May not be used in conjunction with Burst.

SFX: Burst. Step up or double a Hulkbuster Flechette Gun die against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and add 3 dice for your total. May not be used in conjunction with Area Attack.

SFX: Ongoing Damage. A target effected by a Hulkbuster Flechette Gun power receives the d12 Complication "Anti-Gamma Nanites". This Complication automatically steps down once per round, but can be refreshed by another application of a Hulkbuster Flechette Gun power.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Hulkbuster Flechette Gun power and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the Doom Pool to recover.

Limit: Anti-Gamma Technology. Every Hulkbuster Flechette Gun power is considered to be a d6 when targeting opponents that would not be impaired by gamma-devouring nanites.

jdarksun on
    edited November 2012
    "So," says James, "I'd roll something like this to shoot at the hulk."

Saar almost giggles with Glee as he feels himself lift off the ground. It's just like storming that platinum mining outfit in the Tequnka Oort belt. Good times. Sighting down the barrels of the Hulkbuster at the rampaging creature, he lets fly with a burst of flechettes.
    d10 (Buddy affiliation, dangling from Telestro but not otherwise hanging out with people)
    d8 (Always gets his man)
    d10 (Strength to move the gun)
    d8 (Burst SFX on d6 Hulkbuster gun)
    2d8 (Master Combat)

Flechetting the Hulk: 1d0 0 1d10 4 1d8 3 1d8 4 1d8 3 1d8 2
    Rerolling some dice: 1d10 3 1d12 11 1d12 12

So. I throw out the 10 (due to burst, booo) and end up with a result of:
    Result 10, with d10 effect.

That's not likely to do much. Must have forgotten to compensate for the wind.

New result (throwing out the 12 on the second d12 due to burst):
    Result 18, d10 effect is I think my best shot.

GrimmyTOA on
    @GrimmyTOA I derped on the Limit: Anti-Gamma Tech. The idea is that the Hulkbuster Flechette Gun is treated like a normal (albeit technically impressive) gun against anything not powered by gamma radiation. You also missed the first d10, and listed it as 1d0. :)

So we'll drop that second d8 (4), and you can either roll 2d12 in its place (if you want to use Burst) or 1d12 + 3d6 (if you want to use Area Attack). And reroll the typo'd d10.

Oops, thanks. Edited it.

edited November 2012
    Hulk attempts to shrug off Saar's attack with the Hulkbuster Flechette Gun: 1d10 5 1d4 2 1d12 5 1d8 4

derp'd: Hulk attempts to shrug off Saar's attack with the Hulkbuster Flechette Gun (missed dice): 1d10 9 1d8 4

14 w/ d12 effect. Hit, effect die stepped down to a d8. You can eliminate a d8 from the Doom Pool, if ya like. (I'm going to assume you would like)

The stream of flechettes find their mark, and the Hulk visibly wilts under their barrage.

@GrimmyTOA to decide who goes next.
    Yet to Act
    Nellie Cochrane
    Dr. David Row
    Ranger Saar
    Telesto

Rampaging Hulk, Anti-Gamma Nanites "poisoning" - d12 Complication

Scene Distinctions (d8)
    Dock Detritus
    Fleeing Bystanders

Assets
    (none!)
    Rampaging Hulk

Gamma-Charged Genetics

Doom Pool:
    d8.pngd10.pngd10.png

jdarksun on
    @tzeentchling for the next turn.

And yes, I'd like to get rid of that Doom Pool d8. Thanks.

I know it's my turn to post, but writing my thesis right now. If someone else wants to go that's fine, otherwise I'll try to put up some content soonish.