As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 11/28/2012 - Thunder

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
Thor: God of Thunder #2 Thor ends his first battle with the God Butcher.
LuN14.jpg

xAfcP.jpg

NaXfF.jpg

Batman Inc #5 I love all the villians Morrison has created since his Batman and Robin run, hope we see Jackanapes in inc again.
HwfF5.jpg

j97tN.jpg

The Flash #14 Damn, Manupal. Love these title spreads so much in each issue.
iKm2p.jpg

Uncanny Avengers #2 is kinda of a slow burn, that is still more of an x-men book than avengers. Really enjoyed the use of Rogue though/.
nai7Y.jpg

6QldR.jpg

jLEcT.jpg

Ultimate Comics Iron Man #2 Tony interrupts a military testing to recruit his wing man.
PtkG0.jpg

Ultimate Comics X-Men #19 the new nation of "Utopia" takes a leadership vote, and you get to meet most of its citzens.
DLjTy.jpg

uvEvE.jpg

tbZzs.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Two questions- Did zero from the Ultimate Comics show up in the 616 version? I want to say he seems similar to the character that was around in Gillian's Generation Next or whatever run. The one that people were calling an Akira ripoff.

And what the fuck is going on in Morrison's Batman?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    kenji started out as a 616 character yeah

this is an ultimate version

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have to say, there's something I like about the dark comic irony of the Flash
    potentially getting speared by a stop sign.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Batman was so grim that it should come with a prescription for antidepressants.
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Two questions- Did zero from the Ultimate Comics show up in the 616 version? I want to say he seems similar to the character that was around in Gillian's Generation Next or whatever run. The one that people were calling an Akira ripoff.

And what the fuck is going on in Morrison's Batman?

It's a
    possible future that Bruce Wayne is trying to avert, one in which Damian's ascent to the role of Batman inadvertently leads to Gotham's utter destruction through Talia's machinations.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So Ultimate Betsy Braddock is mysteriously alive again, which makes it her second resurrection if you count Millar bringing her back at the end of his run. She's very quietly becoming the new Jean Grey.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    2 resurrections is already more than Jean Grey has had

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    This was a great week, I enjoyed everything I picked up. Gotta get some scans up later.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    FF #1, the issue has a few of those GotG interview pages, here is Bentley and Alex Power:
    ff1a.jpg

ff1b.jpg

This is from last week but Bravest Warriors #2, comic creators sure like cats:
    bravestwarriors2a.jpg

the copy below the page says to name it Pookums

bravestwarriors2b.jpg

the copy below says there's nothing there, cats are WEIRD.

Superman Family Adventures #7, Toyman plans revenge due to a case of.....well it's not Superdickery, but more Superbraggadocio? Plus the Bat-pets!
    supermanfamily7a.jpg

supermanfamily7b.jpg

supermanfamily7c.jpg

supermanfamily7d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    That is kind of a weird walking away pose Warpath has in the last panel of X-Men.

It's like he's...sauntering away? I'm not sure. It's inexplicably hilarious though.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    yessss Bat-Cow

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Anyone who doesn't read my little pony is no friend of mine. Seriously, there are so many easter eggs, it's insane.
    There's a blues brothers pony, a magnum p.i. pony(HE SELLS MUSTACHES), a Katie Cook pony, a revenge of the body snatchers pony, a Shawn of the dead reference...
    Also, the art is great, parts of it remind me of Calvin and Hobbes.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My comic book shop is refusing to sell that book. Its glorious

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    That's just silly. There's no good reason not to sell it.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Oh, hey, a popular book that can bring in money for everyone involved and really help things. It isn't actually offensive at all, but let's not sell it because............

Shit, I don't give a damn about MLP at all, but that IS just silly. I mean, let's put aside the numbers or things like that. How is it a GOOD THING for any shop to not have a hugely popular kids franchise on the shelves in COMIC FORM when usually these same people are screaming the industry is dying?

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    but it's not really successful kid wise I believe? And I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of people buying this book not be well children (or for their children).

• Options
    They don't sell books that they think will bring in unfavorable people. They stopped selling Star Wars comics for the same reason

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    They don't sell books that they think will bring in unfavorable people. They stopped selling Star Wars comics for the same reason

Is the guy trying to run a profitable business or a clubhouse?

• Options
    but it's not really successful kid wise I believe? And I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of people buying this book not be well children (or for their children).

Ridiculous. You're just making things up here.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/28/strong-holiday-week-programming-caps-best-ever-november-for-the-hub-tv-network-and-drives-network-to-11th-consecutive-month-of-audience-growth/159402/
    The season three premiere of “My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic” (Saturday, November 10, 10 a.m.) was the highest season debut of the show since it premiered on The Hub in 2010, and marked the third year of consecutive growth with kids and adults. Kids 2-11 (391,000), Kids 6-11 (171,000), Women 18-49 (106,000), Adults 18-49 (179,000), Persons 2+ (686,000) and Households (388,000) all delivered their highest season premiere ratings for the series.

look at that, more than three times as many kids watched the show as adults

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I never said any of that was facts, I did specify it was what I "believe". (also tv ratings are are almost as inaccurate as comic ratings are (probably more even))
    Though I am apparently wrong, and while I still don't like it, I do think it's dumb for a comic shop to avoid a source of revenue.

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    I really doubt the kids watching the show are going to go out looking for comic book, let alone know it exists.

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I really doubt the kids watching the show are going to go out looking for comic book, let alone know it exists.

Of course not! But PARENTS do.

It's not a secret that comics, as an industry, is in desperate need for younger readers. Kids LOVE MLP. So there's a bunch of adults that do, too. Oh well. They're adults and they can do what they like. But a decision like this is actively denying a chance for kids to have access to a comic that's PERFECT for them.

In my mind, not selling MLP because of some fans that people may not like is just as idiotic as the shop that refused to sell Mark Waid books because of his attempts to push digital. Maybe even more idiotic, considering this is the perfect way to get new blood into comic reading.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    The kids don't go out looking for My Little Pony toys either, because six year olds don't have cars or money.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Wait...Star War comics draws unfavorable people? That are different from the usual comic book fan?

• Options

Unfavorable people? It's a comic shop, majority of their revenue comes from unfavorable people.

• Options
    Also, Katie Cook is an amazing artist and person. So, that comic shop owner can lick my hairy ass.

• Options
    She had only a couple people that would buy starwars comics. They would stand around and argue for hours about star wars. So she banned the comic

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    She had only a couple people that would buy starwars comics. They would stand around and argue for hours about star wars. So she banned the comic

That

Huh.

It sounds like the person running that store doesn't like money. I mean, trust me, I work at a Walmart, customers are some of the most annoying breed of human on Earth, but losing their sale is a silly thing.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Clearly her cost:benefit ratio differed from your experience.

I hate bronies—I hate that I even know the show exists—but if it's not worth the investment then why keep it up?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    this seems like a tangent that doesn't belong in this thread

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Not trying to extend this MLP talk but I must say that if I was in that shop for the first time looking for the comic and I found out the reason for them not carrying it I'd walk out and never consider shopping there again.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Not stocking books because you don't want "a certain type of person" to come in and buy them is fucking gross.

• Options
    They just wanted that group of neckbeards to stop having arguments in their store, it was harsh but whatever

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Prophet #31; In which Rob Liefeld's Diehard becomes a compellingly tragic figure. PREVIEW

mTSOC.jpg
    I think this is the first issue where Prophet completely, 100% clicked with me. For most of its run, it's been oddly devoid of humanity. The first three issues followed a John Prophet who almost never spoke, and remained completely mission-oriented. Then Old Man Prophet showed up, weary and broken from centuries of war. Then side-characters like Hiyonhoiagn the depressed, alcoholic tree-man showed up, as well as robots Diehard and Jaxson.

But, with this issue, it all came together in one scene, which you can see in the linked preview. They're all these old friends, who have been separated for so long, and have finally come back together for what will likely be their last adventure, and they're sort of loving it, even as they hate it. These are the only people in the entire universe they can show their true selves to, and now they've all come back together to do what they do best, even knowing they might end up burying yet more friends.

Something about it really reminds me of the later Dragonlance novels, where all these over-the-hill heroes had to strap their armor on, and leave their kids behind, to go save the world.

Plus, fucking Badrock was teased in this issue, and Troll actually made an appearance, that wasn't completely ridiculous, in direct defiance of all logic and sense.

Planetoid #4; The Ono Mao Republic get serious about their human pest problem, and decide to stamp out the leadership. Namely, former space pirate and current savior/hero, Silas. PREVIEW
    5Xykx.jpg

Man, that creepy half-face thing is so well-done. Ken Garing's knocking it out of the park, here, and I can't wait to see this story wrap up.

Nowhere Men #1; Sometimes, all it takes is a science-gorilla made of gemstones, to tear apart a friendship. PREVIEW
    PhNWf.jpg

DpCEK.jpg

If I'm not missing my guess here, it looks like this is all leading to a story where superpowers are created, and unleashed on the world. Part of me hopes I'm right, because Nate Bellegarde drawing a non-traditional superhero story would be awesome, but part of me hopes I'm wrong, because really, I feel like that's an idea that's been done.

Still, a hell of a good start. And it's a lot of story for your three dollars too, with 29 pages of content.

Multiple Warheads #2; Blue Nura has some difficulties with her bounty, while Sexica and Nikolai's perilous road trip continues. PREVIEW
    60Qpw.jpg

Graham's really at his Grahamiest here, delivering non-stop puns, humor, and weirdness, and I couldn't be more thrilled. That said, I think his plan was to do monthly three-issue installments, with breaks in between, and I'm really curious to see how that'll work. Because right now, I have no idea where this story's going, or how the Blue Nura/Nik and Sexica plotlines are going to wind up merging. If they ever do.

Chew #30; Toni Chew can see the future. PREVIEW
    bBXQt.jpg

Goddamn, Layman. You cut right through me.

X-Treme X-Men #7; Returned to his native world, where a robot uprising led to the extinction of humanity, Kurt Waggoner learns that his parents might yet be alive, and stages a rescue attempt. PREVIEW
    The big conflict of this two-issue arc, has been that, while the robot leadership on Kurt's world is genuinely monstrous, most of the population are just regular, metallic folks. They have hobbies, families, and a society that appears downright utopian. Which is the only reason SWORD hasn't carpet-bombed them into non-existence.

I say this to set up this next bit, where Kurt has just found the mutilated corpses of his parents, entombed in glass, their neural pathways left intact so that the robots might study the genius minds of their creators.

hZZv6.jpg

Later, after the heroes have boarded a SWORD ship, and Kurt has apparently gone off to mourn..

OwQIc.jpg

Goddamn, Kurt.

Munch on
  • Options
    Not stocking books because you don't want "a certain type of person" to come in and buy them is fucking gross.

What about Tarot?

• Options
    Multiple Warheads looks really funny. I'll have to check that out, or at least see what else the writer has done.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Multiple Warheads looks really funny. I'll have to check that out, or at least see what else the writer has done.

Dude, buy King City. It's 424 pages for just over $11.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Haunted vaginas are always topical.
    Is the guy trying to run a profitable business or a clubhouse?
    Welcome to the number one reason most gaming and comic stores run into trouble.

• Options
    Alright, I know I kind of broke that "stop talking about this rule" myself, but take this discussion to the Bitching thread or another related thread

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Multiple Warheads #2; Blue Nura has some difficulties with her bounty, while Sexica and Nikolai's perilous road trip continues. PREVIEW
    60Qpw.jpg

Graham's really at his Grahamiest here, delivering non-stop puns, humor, and weirdness, and I couldn't be more thrilled. That said, I think his plan was to do monthly three-issue installments, with breaks in between, and I'm really curious to see how that'll work. Because right now, I have no idea where this story's going, or how the Blue Nura/Nik and Sexica plotlines are going to wind up merging. If they ever do.

Wasn't there something else with a character named "Sexica"? What am I thinking of?

• Options
    I remember, it's this stupid old webcomic Sam & Fuzzy!
    00000347.gif