As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Walking distance to PAX food guide!

SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
Hello wonderful Aussies and more specifically, Melbourne locals!

I'm looking for somebody to write up a food guide that includes Food Type, Cost & Walking time from PAX.

Seeing as I've never even left North America... I am useless here.

So, if you are local & feel like scouting around for the good of your fellow forumers, please let me know! :D

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Its not walking distance but you're bound to end up in china town anyway, so, Shangai Dumpling House

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    ^

This x 1000...gods gift to dumplings, and cheap as hell.

• aliceetceteraaliceetcetera SydneyRegistered User new member
    I'm not from Melbourne either but I use Urbanspoon when I visit to check out places to eat. Flemington, Ascot Vale and Kensington all seem to have a variety of places to eat.

• aliceetceteraaliceetcetera SydneyRegistered User new member
    edited November 2012
    Sorry about this duplicate!

aliceetcetera on
  • DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I am from Melbourne, but I'm not as familiar with the western suburbs. I've worked at the racecourse, but we had food delivered or just went to the pub next door.

I wouldn't just limit yourself to walking distance, although it's certainly worth noting which places are closest to PAX. Melbourne has a very good tram network, with a stop right outside the showgrounds, so getting into the city or to other foodie districts within a reasonable range shouldn't be too difficult. I'd suggest having a separate section for places that can be reached (tram + walking) in the same amount of time as allowed for the walking distance list.

Admittedly the Myki system isn't as tourist friendly as the old metcard system (instead of just buying a daily ticket, you now have to buy a myki card, which you then top up with funds and it calculates the minimum fare for your travels). Still, if you're here for the full three days of PAX, or are planning on doing some sightseeing either before or after PAX, you'll want a myki card for ease of transport anyway - it really opens up a wide range of other options. They're in the process of phasing out the metcards, so I'm not sure if they will be available in July.

[edit]: I live about an hour's drive east of the city, so I only go in occasionally. As such, I don't know the details intimately enough to provide a review or guide.

DaCraw on
    ---
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    DaCraw wrote: »
    I am from Melbourne, but I'm not as familiar with the western suburbs. I've worked at the racecourse, but we had food delivered or just went to the pub next door.

I wouldn't just limit yourself to walking distance, although it's certainly worth noting which places are closest to PAX. Melbourne has a very good tram network, with a stop right outside the showgrounds, so getting into the city or to other foodie districts within a reasonable range shouldn't be too difficult. I'd suggest having a separate section for places that can be reached (tram + walking) in the same amount of time as allowed for the walking distance list.

Admittedly the Myki system isn't as tourist friendly as the old metcard system (instead of just buying a daily ticket, you now have to buy a myki card, which you then top up with funds and it calculates the minimum fare for your travels). Still, if you're here for the full three days of PAX, or are planning on doing some sightseeing either before or after PAX, you'll want a myki card for ease of transport anyway - it really opens up a wide range of other options. They're in the process of phasing out the metcards, so I'm not sure if they will be available in July.

[edit]: I live about an hours drive east of the city, so I only go in occasionally. As such, I don't know the details intimately enough to provide a review or guide.

That's an excellent suggestion!

• PhnomenonPhnomenon Registered User regular
    I'm definitely happy to help - I work for Tourism Victoria (the state tourism body and one of the PAX sponsors, if this is a conflict of interest), I write about food in Melbourne and I live in the Western suburbs, so know the area very well. What would really help is some broad parameters around what sorts of food to include (a selection of the finest dumplings, obviously), distance and price range.

Tourism Victoria are going to build a PAX specific page on their website (at http://www.visitmelbourne.com/pax/ - it's just holding content at the moment), so any broad recommendations will help. Are people planning to stay around Melbourne before/after PAX?

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Phnomenon wrote: »
    Are people planning to stay around Melbourne before/after PAX?

I'll be padding the trip with a couple of days stay either way, and I'm sure our international travellers will take some time to make the most of the trip...

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I'm staying for 7 nights 8 days :D

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Phnomenon wrote: »
    I'm definitely happy to help - I work for Tourism Victoria (the state tourism body and one of the PAX sponsors, if this is a conflict of interest), I write about food in Melbourne and I live in the Western suburbs, so know the area very well. What would really help is some broad parameters around what sorts of food to include (a selection of the finest dumplings, obviously), distance and price range.

Tourism Victoria are going to build a PAX specific page on their website (at http://www.visitmelbourne.com/pax/ - it's just holding content at the moment), so any broad recommendations will help. Are people planning to stay around Melbourne before/after PAX?

I've sent you a PM :)

• DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    I'm staying 8 nights, 9 days :-)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    given that someone has taken up the mantle of doing food and drink threads...

Robot Santa, close this thread.

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.